Imus a racist?

houstonmacbro

I can't make this stuff up. Just judge for yourself the racial feelings of at least one powerful media mouthpiece in this country.

See full article here, but basically Don Imus of Imus in the Morning had this to say about the Rutgers womens basketball team the following:

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."

"Some hardcore hos," said McGurk.

"That's some nappy headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't make this stuff up. Just judge for yourself the racial feelings of at least one powerful media mouthpiece in this country.

See full article here, but basically Don Imus of Imus in the Morning had this to say about the Rutgers womens basketball team the following:

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."

"Some hardcore hos," said McGurk.

"That's some nappy headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

yes it is bad IMO but if a black person said it it would have been a non-issue. I know my black friend has said that about some girls she knows. if something is racist, it should be bad for everyone. i think the N-word is bad but yet i hear blacks say it almost everyday.

Sounds pretty tame compared to what he's usually saying. I think the only reason this made national news is because we're in the middle of a slow cycle. Imus has said FAR worse things. I used to listen to him every morning when I was growing up and he had his morning show on WNBC (with my Pac-Man transistor radio!). When he went national there were some stations that picked him up not realizing what they were getting in to and had to drop him when they heard the actual show instead of just drooling over his numbers.

Some of the things I've heard him say about Catholic priests and Jewish rabbis (he's Jewish, FWIW), and Puerto Ricans would make Howard Stern blush. "Nappy-haired" is about as tame a quote as I've seen from him in a long time.

I don't think Imus has too many local radio stations anymore -- maybe a couple of dozen. As the nation has mellowed post-9/11 his kind of strident humor just isn't that funny anymore. Sometimes I'll listen to him on MSNBC, but mostly to bring me back to the past and better times.

I've never understood his appeal. I sometimes see his show on MSNBC in the a.m. when I am flipping through channels trying to find 'the news' but I have never understood the appeal of WATCHING a radio show. He's not interesting to look at in the first place and it is just a stupid shot of him in the studio for the entire show.

Boring.

Let's not get on the whole 'N-word' issue. I think that's been talked to death. But I agree that it shouldn't be used by anyone (black or white). My 2 cents.

that's my point....when a group uses it with like group members, people outside the group are going to use it to. if it is THAT bad, then noone should use it.

sometimes you wonder, because while I don't support the whole uniform idea of the world, and expressivness is important to me. I just don't understand why someone would do anything like that, especially after the Richardson stuff. This is when it really starts to bother me.

Sure, and while I do not believe that all non-politically correct opinions are necessarily racist, I do think that when you attempt to tear down another person by using race, ethnicity, etc., then there is something awful that would make a person want to do that ... and then attempt to justify it.

I will be the first person to defend freedom of speech, but doesn't that freedom also come with at least a bit of responsibility?

Sure, and while I do not believe that all non-politically correct opinions are necessarily racist, I do think that when you attempt to tear down another person by using race, ethnicity, etc., then there is something awful that would make a person want to do that ... and then attempt to justify it.

I will be the first person to defend freedom of speech, but doesn't that freedom also come with at least a bit of responsibility?

Looking back on when I

Was a little nappy headed boy

Then my only worry

Was for Christmas what would be my toy

- "I Wish", by Stevie Wonder

Any plans to boycott his music?

You know, that's the problem with boycotts. If I don't watch/listen to Imus, O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter and Miller in the first place, how can I effectively boycott them? Kind of like when O'Reilly started his boycott of the French. None of his viewers eat, drink or purchase French goods anyway. Their US exports actually INCREASED during the boycott.

Back to the topic. Comparing this to Richardson's gaffe last week, I'd more likely put this in the racist category than his.

i just went to dinner with two good friends who happen to be black and i brought this subj up.

the funniest thing said was "do white people know our hair is nappy?" i laughed for quite a while on that one.

she also said that blacks use it too much and it is just becoming more mainstream for everyone.

From the April 6 edition of MSNBC's Imus in the Morning:

IMUS: Want to take a moment to apologize for an insensitive and ill-conceived remark we made the other morning referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team. It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, so, and we're sorry.

MediaMatters

Now, that's an apology, as opposed to a justification

Only a rap star can say "ho" or N!

And personally, I'd wish they'd stop. As an African American I find it offensive no matter who says it. Unfortunately, there hasn't been the same outcry against Snoop Dogg (and his ilk) for his language as there should be.

Now, let a white or hispanic rapper say it and then there'd be a race war.

What's good for white America ought to go just as well in the black community.

One day, huh?

Offensive language is offensive no matter who says it. A gentleman (or lady) goes out of his way to avoid causing offense, and would never try to justify speaking improperly by pointing at others that do. The fact that others speak in a trashy manner doesn

And personally, I'd wish they'd stop. As an African American I find it offensive no matter who says it. Unfortunately, there hasn't been the same outcry against Snoop Dogg (and his ilk) for his language as there should be.

Now, let a white or hispanic rapper say it and then there'd be a race war.

What's good for white America ought to go just as well in the black community.

One day, huh?

It's simply more controversial.

Whoever thinks there is not a battle in the black community about using "______" or any other langauae that lowers someone else's value is just speaking mainstream ignorance and is simply observing the issue rather than digging deeper. I do not agree with Al Sharpton on EVERYTHING, and he can be kind of regressive on some topics, but to easily blame him of hypocrisy, and not read up on his outcrys of liberating African Americans when dealing with the "N" word, "stop snitching", removing homophobia in the black church, and other issues plaguing the black community, is simply taking the easy route of ignorance.

Archived