Dinner Bell

My brother have planned our yearly jaunt to our old stomping grounds. We always eat at a place we ate at as kids. This year the Dinner Bell is on the menu. Does anyone know their hours? Are they opened for lunch? Are they still crowded?

We will be there friday, May 4th and wanted to have lunch there. Is the food still good? Is it the same inside? I know someone said in an earlier post that it was larger now. Inquiring minds want to know. I know I could just call them but I'd like to hear some honest opinions on the food quality. My brother and I were last there in 1975. Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be in the Eastend with camera in hand so hopefully I'll get some interesting shots to post.

My brother have planned our yearly jaunt to our old stomping grounds. We always eat at a place we ate at as kids. This year the Dinner Bell is on the menu. Does anyone know their hours? Are they opened for lunch? Are they still crowded?

We will be there friday, May 4th and wanted to have lunch there. Is the food still good? Is it the same inside? I know someone said in an earlier post that it was larger now. Inquiring minds want to know. I know I could just call them but I'd like to hear some honest opinions on the food quality. My brother and I were last there in 1975. Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be in the Eastend with camera in hand so hopefully I'll get some interesting shots to post.

Most of the interior still has that mid-60's decor and that's what cool about it. You can actually hear the person speak that your sitting with, no need to shout. It still gets a big crowd, my mom whom is 85 still has her "Stanley Products" meetings there with all of her retired friends. The food is alright they still steam it the way they should unlike Luby's they just place under a bright light bulb which dries out the foods. There is a big TV which people like to watch (news thank God, not American Idol junk). You can still get a big variety of meals to choose from and you must hit the adjoining bakery! They are still the rage of the area as far as great pastries are concerned. The donuts are killer! My friends still live directly behind it and they get to smell the aroma of all those delicious dishes all day. That's what I like about Dinner Bell it takes you back in time to more innocent days. Many of the original emplyees still are there. They are what makes the place seem so rare. I hope Dinner Bell never goes away that would be the end of Lawndale as we know it. Its an institution. Have fun! :lol:

it is surprising how many people still go there for lunch. desserts are still good. it pretty much is the same. food is ok for lunch, for dinner it sometimes gets old.

it is surprising how many people still go there for lunch. desserts are still good. it pretty much is the same. food is ok for lunch, for dinner it sometimes gets old.

Still sounds great! Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to my baked fish and those mashed potatoes. Any word on the strawberry shortcake? I was my favorite as a kid. A bakery?? Oh my!!! ok, I'm officially excited.

I love the Dinner Bell. I've never had a bad meal there - I usually get the spinach and fried okra, and they're always much better than the chain cafeterias. I never pass up an opportunity to go there with my parents - they used to eat there all the time when they lived near Lawndale in the 50s, but they hadn't been there since then until I discovered it and started going there a few years ago.

I love the Dinner Bell. I've never had a bad meal there - I usually get the spinach and fried okra, and they're always much better than the chain cafeterias. I never pass up an opportunity to go there with my parents - they used to eat there all the time when they lived near Lawndale in the 50s, but they hadn't been there since then until I discovered it and started going there a few years ago.

This just occurred to me and makes sense.

If you notice when you go to Dinner Bell each table still has these little prayer cards in 3 different faiths (rare in its day I might add). We know that people still go to cafeteria's after mass or sermons. The Vila De Matel Convent across the street used to allow the public to attend mass there. The cathedral is huge so it made sense that everyone would go directly across the street to have lunch. Just next door (Sunnyland) is another non-denominational church & across the street from that one there still is a Presbyterian Church.

So that means all of these places of worship must have all descended on Dinner Bell big time! That explains the vast parking lot and numerous tables.

Solved my own mystery! Of course all of you helped! :lol:

If you notice when you go to Dinner Bell each table still has these little prayer cards in 3 different faiths (rare in its day I might add). We know that people still go to cafeteria's after mass or sermons. The Vila De Matel Convent across the street used to allow the public to attend mass there. The cathedral is huge so it made sense that everyone would go directly across the street to have lunch. Just next door (Sunnyland) is another non-denominational church & across the street from that one there still is a Presbyterian Church.

So that means all of these places of worship must have all descended on Dinner Bell big time! That explains the vast parking lot and numerous tables.

Glad I could help...lol :D Now what was it I did? :wacko:

Don't forget to ring your little bell at your table for tea refills!

and once you get a whif of the bakery, you'll never be the same again!

pastries.jpg

You're making May 4th seem awfully far away. And what a time for me to start a diet. Ring Ring.. May I have some tea please?

Is there still a church on Lawndale on the other side of wayside down by what was once the Tropicana bowling lanes? I seem to remember a church with a tall steeple right past the cemetary... or have they torn that down too like the one..or ones on Wayside. I know the big one that was across from the golf course is gone and so is my church Park Memerial on Wayside and Avenue K.

Is there still a church on Lawndale on the other side of wayside down by what was once the Tropicana bowling lanes? I seem to remember a church with a tall steeple right past the cemetary... or have they torn that down too like the one..or ones on Wayside.

Your in luck! It is still there. To this day I find it hard to drive past without gazing up at the steeple. I have always been fascinated by church/cathedral architecture as I recreate them as clocks. I always wanted to go inside to see what it looks like. Miraculously it still appears as original except for some new paint. Maybe we should keep this on the East End structures section. :)

Your in luck! It is still there. To this day I find it hard to drive past without gazing up at the steeple. I have always been fascinated by church/cathedral architecture as I recreate them as clocks. I always wanted to go inside to see what it looks like. Miraculously it still appears as original except for some new paint. Maybe we should keep this on the East End structures section. :)

I'll have to take a picture of it when we get over there. Theres so many things I want pics of..like...whatever that very old building is on Harrisburg and 66th. Its small, round and has a domed silver roof. What the heck is that place?? It looks almost like a silo.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll have to take a picture of it when we get over there. Theres so many things I want pics of..like...whatever that very old building is on Harrisburg and 66th. Its small, round and has a domed silver roof. What the heck is that place?? It looks almost like a silo.

I was just at Dinner Bell last Saturday.. decided to be nostalgic and eat there.. warning: They are closed on Saturdays..

I was just at Dinner Bell last Saturday.. decided to be nostalgic and eat there.. warning: They are closed on Saturdays..

How was the food? We'll be going there today. Gotta get a pic of the little bell on the table.

4zsywpk.jpg

52utc2h.jpg

6au41n8.jpg

4qdy8fb.jpg

660az5v.jpg

What a fantastic lunch we had! Its just as I remembered it all the way down to the color of the booths and chairs. And yes I bought lots of goodies from the bakery.

I have GOT to check this place out. :D

Get there around 11. after that the lot starts filling up fast. We got there at 11 and were the first customers. You have to have the mashed REAL potatoes with REAL brown gravy. The portion of fried fish I got was huge and I couldnt finish it. The greens tasted like my grandma had made them and the garlic bread was yummy!! It got 5 stars from me and my brother.

Get there around 11. after that the lot starts filling up fast. We got there at 11 and were the first customers. You have to have the mashed REAL potatoes with REAL brown gravy. The portion of fried fish I got was huge and I couldnt finish it. The greens tasted like my grandma had made them and the garlic bread was yummy!! It got 5 stars from me and my brother.

See! now does everyone believe me! I wasn't just dreaming!This place really does exist!

You even got a pic of the prayer card and the actual bell!

Takes you back in time, right! Now I'm hungry.... :lol:

See! now does everyone believe me! I wasn't just dreaming!This place really does exist!

You even got a pic of the prayer card and the actual bell!

Takes you back in time, right! Now I'm hungry.... :lol:

I took the prayer card and bell pic just for you. :D

Had to go last Friday, took mom & sis and yep it was like old times again! We had a different dish. I tore up the Beef stew and veggies. We beat the big crowd as they pour in around 5-30 - 6pm-ish. I was quite full and had no room for cookies or cake. They had quite an array to choose from. Next time you drop in be sure to notice all the framed posters like John Wayne, Marilyn M, and friends. Mom said when she and her friends have their Stanley Products meetings in the banquet room the place is packed dining room and all. When were there Friday many of the older crowd strolls in with that 40's, 50's and 60's look! Soooo cool! Blue hair and all! Dinner Bell, ultimate time machine. :D

• 8 months later...
and on Thursday's and Sunday's they serve the delicious steaming hot turkey and gravy! Yum, yum!

It's a miracle they are still in beez wax!

A trip back in time for sure kiddies! :D

P403642986_01.jpg

Yes, it looks like it's privately-owned. But that doesn't mean that the food isn't good. If a place serves good food, most people simply overlook the appearance of the building.

Yes, it looks like it's privately-owned. But that doesn't mean that the food isn't good. If a place serves good food, most people simply overlook the appearance of the building.

Dinner Bell is not as visible as the Luby's on 45 & Telephone but the food is of better choice and the place is not crowded and the prices are lower. Luby's has gone over board $ wise. This is what I personally loved about most cafeteria's, was the senior crowd it attracted. Most are on fixed incomes so they find these places of affordability & comfort and you don't have to yell to be heard like most eateries.

I enjoy the older bunch I guess, more civilized any day, well most. This place also has the old fashioned bakery adjoined a rarity in this day and age.

Now I am ready for that tender steaming hot turkey & gravy! :wub:

I love the fried okra at the Dinner Bell. It's hard to find good fried okra at most places.

Its even hard to find white rice with the brown gravy on top (maybe Picadilly) and they are rare in Houston. Almeda Mall the last one I know of and its days may be numbered.

I really miss the ladies walking around with the rolling cart that would refill your tea or coffee, hand you silver ware. Now you practically have to beg them to come near you unless your waving a $ bill.

Hey! Thats another latter day luxury. The cart lady that is.

Archived