Updating vs. Preservation

domus48

Though not located in Houston, this link: http://www.architectureforsale.com/printab...?property_ID=60 provides an opportunity to view both a significant MCM home as well as field a question. That question being: Is an updated kitchen acceptable within a preserved/restored structure?

Assuming that even the MCM purists would find upgrading of infrastructure acceptable -- I'm sure there are a few out there that would consider removal of a period correct, historically "significant" two wire electrical system as a sacrilege -- is an upgraded yet historically significant MCM of dimished historic value?

I would argue that visiting an historic structure and living in one are two quite different things.

Finally, the Menil House Presentation this evening should be of value to both camps.

A big part of the restoration of the Menil house had to do with putting in new wiring without damaging the walls, as I understand. William Stern told me it was almost surgical in the way they had to go about it. I did notice 3 pronged outlets in the house. I wish I could have afforded to hire a complete restoration team like that, but with our house it wouldn't really make sense to spend more than the house is worth, as priceless as it is. I can't wait to see the presentation.

Oh, by the way, I don't think purists would really begrudge rewiring or the 3 pronged outlet. If they would then I hope they don't have a computer or any post 50's appliance if they are that pure. The idea is the look of the period more than what is behind the walls. We rewired the bedroom wing where we were taking out the walls anyway, and we 3 pronged (GFCI?) the rest of the house but some of the original wiring is still in that part of the house. The outlets have trips on them for if there's a surge or anything. It was the least expensive route to go while assuring the most safety.

I may be wrong, but I believe a well done mcm kitchen can be done today with the right materials. I just think most modernists cringe at the thought of granite countertops because they are so overused and lauded by "Joe Public" as the end all be all in kitchen countertops. And in my case I cringe at the thought of my "pressed chipboard 1990 Home Depot cabinets" that replaced what were once all wood cabinets that matched the rest of the house, just for the sake of more space to put stuff. Formica is not the only way of the 50's either. One Jenkins house down the street originally had marble countertops in the kitchen. Talk about chic.

Jason

Finally, the Menil House Presentation this evening should be of value to both camps.

I would argue that visiting an historic structure and living in one are two quite different things.

Yes, of course -- they're two different things. If you're preserving a historic house for preservation's sake, you keep it as is (e.g. Rienzi, Bayou Bend, etc). If you're living in a house that has architectural value, you should strive to update it to preserve the architectural integrity (e.g., no Tuscan kitchens in a mod home).

I'm not an architect, nor a designer, but I think the home you linked to is a beautiful example of updating within the original style.

That question being: Is an updated kitchen acceptable within a preserved/restored structure?

Assuming that even the MCM purists would find upgrading of infrastructure acceptable -- I'm sure there are a few out there that would consider removal of a period correct, historically "significant" two wire electrical system as a sacrilege -- is an upgraded yet historically significant MCM of dimished historic value?

updating the wiring would be appreciated by most owners as it provides more convenience (you can turn on the toaster and the microwave without blowing a circuit) plus provides an additional level of safety with respect to shock hazards.

Though not located in Houston, this link: http://www.architectureforsale.com/printab...?property_ID=60 provides an opportunity to view both a significant MCM home as well as field a question. That question being: Is an updated kitchen acceptable within a preserved/restored structure?

Very interesting question, and one with which people have struggled for years. I grew up in an area where 19th century houses were common. Obviously, to live in one slavishly restored to its original configurations would be hellish for most modern people. Kitchens were barely recognizable as such, and bathrooms were non-existent. Adding these features in a way which is sympathetic to the original structure is a challenge which is met with varying degrees of success.

For someone to defend preserving a MCM's outdated wiring, plumbing, heating, A/C, asbestos, lead paint, etc. seems a bit wacky. Safety and efficiency can be incorporated without detracting from a house's integrity. Light fixtures and switches can be rewired, damaged wood can (usually) be replaced, double-paned glass is unobtrusive.

I think most people understand that there have been advances in kitchens and baths in the past 50 years, and that some alterations may be required. The question to ask is "Would the original builder (or architect) have done this, if it had been available?" If the answer is no, look for another solution.

Though not located in Houston, this link: http://www.architectureforsale.com/printab...?property_ID=60
This house has been profiled on tv recently. I think it was a PBS show, infact I think it was on PBS HD. Unfortunately I don't remember what show it was. Perhaps This Old House? Not as a project house, but as a tour house to show MCM architecture.

Wow I was really surprised to see the home that was linked. I've been to this house once before. Early last year, actually. I love the part of Coldwater Canyon where it is located. I think it is a really great example of keeping a nice (tasteful) modern aesthetic even though it is significantly different from the original. And it lacks that kitsch that many of the MCM houses have in Trousdale Estates (a nearby concentration of 50's homes in Beverly Hills.) For me, preservation is certainly very important, because I fear for a great deal of MCM architecture's future. But with that fear there is a little bit of excitement, because we are fortunate enough to have amazing resources in this day. Many concepts that architects only wished for in the past can now be expanded upon. I love this discussion because it really is such an important topic with the MCM approaching an age to which they may be considered historic. I completely respect the mindset of a purist, though I am not one. A lot of the materials used in that time really were not that great, and similar looks can be achieved by using newer or more luxe materials. As long as a home is not really historically significant, even though it may be old, I don't see a problem with a respectful update. After all, the owners have to live there. A home does not have to be a museum. I think Houston has great examples of the good, the bad and the ugly as far as this topic is concerned. A home such as the Menil house really needs to be preserved as it is. Wiring, plumbing, etc certainly need to be adapted, but the look of the home should stay intact. The Maher house by Barnstone is an example of what should not have been done. We are talking about a record house that now looks like a french/italian/generic home which has really vigorous modern bones.

Though following homes are not in Houston I think one serves as a great example of a purist home and the other represents a respectul remodel. They are both by Richard Neutra (my favorite), and I am also fortunate enough to have visited the first linked home when it was for sale a few years back.

Singleton House, basically untouched, though undergoing a restoration, supposedly with a purist mindset. This home is AMAZING:

http://meyler.locations.org/library6180/in...itectural%2F923

Hees House, which was altered beyond recognition by its original owner and brought back as a "reinterpretation" by it's present owners. Originally the ceilings were natural wood and the bathrooms and kitchen are new but complement the house in a manner of today's style:

http://meyler.locations.org/library6180/in...itectural%2F727

Hees House, which was altered beyond recognition by its original owner and brought back as a "reinterpretation" by it's present owners. Originally the ceilings were natural wood and the bathrooms and kitchen are new but complement the house in a manner of today's style:

http://meyler.locations.org/library6180/in...itectural%2F727

amazing. i love it.

Nice... and I mean r-e-a-l-l-y nice images of the Singleton House -- real estate staging shots: http://www.architectureforsale.com/printab...p?property_ID=9

Yeah I've seen these nicer, though less honest shots of this house. It's a not quite as cleaned up in person. I just love the shots from the Meyler and Co location scouts because they show a lot of views of the house that people wouldn't be able to see otherwise. But the real estate shots are definitely more flattering :D

Archived