"Watch" me flip *Another* House

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
OK, OK....

So when does the TV show start?

"House on...." starring Flipper.

Funny you say that. My wife and I were almost on an episode of "property ladder". The producer flew out from Cali and interviewed us in 04. I got the impression that they thought we knew what we were doing too much to be on the show. One of my friends said something to the effect of "he's cool under pressure" during his interview. I knew it wasn't going to happen after that :)

I'm glad it didn't work out though.

Without further delay...

New Blog "houseontonawanda"

flipper

Good luck! The nice thing about ranchers is that you can do just about anything to them style-wise...since they are relatively simple in layout and trim, you can paint, add moldings, slate/tile, refinish existing details, etc., and not spend a ton of money. Hopefully the guts of the home prove to be savageable.

I'm sure the neighbors are very interested in your progress as well!

flipper is not f'n around!!!

flipper, can you tell us a little about your background? how did you get started flipping? did you have past construction experience, etc?

ever think about subbing yourself out as a GC?

flipper is not f'n around!!!

flipper, can you tell us a little about your background? how did you get started flipping? did you have past construction experience, etc?

ever think about subbing yourself out as a GC?

I graduated college in 2000 and went to work selling insurance for Liberty Mutual. I did that for a couple years and hated it. I started reading a couple books on real estate and visiting some online resources and was pretty fired up.

I quit that job to give real estate a try full time. I didn't really set out to rehab houses right off the bat. I was going to focus on finding houses and assigning contracts to other investors.

It was really tough to get started but I eventually found a house I was able to get under contract and sell for $4,000 more.

Then I hooked up with my uncle who is a respected custom builder in the inner loop. We found a house to rehab in Maplewood South and partnered up. It was a disaster and we didn't make anything on it, but I learned a ton.

I kinda shadowed my uncle for a while, stopping by his houses all the time and learning about construction by looking around and asking his superintendant questions.

Then we found another house, this one in Houston Country Club Place. We actually planned to live in the house, so it wasn't really a risky rehab. We fixed it up to our taste, using lots of my uncles subcontractors. But we decided we didn't want to live there after we finished it so we put it up for sale and made good money on it.

Over the next few years we found some houses to wholesale and some to rehab. It hasn't always been easy not knowing when the next time you are going to make money though.

We are at the point now where my wife works with me full time and we do a lot of marketing and have established a little niche in our area where a few realtors know who we are and bring us deals occassionally.

So to answer your question, I had ZERO construction experience and Little to Zero real estate knowledge when I got started (I didn't know what the word "escrow" meant). I've really just gained experience over the last 5 years.

As far as working as a GC.... We get approached a few times a year about this. The only house we've done like this was for some friends who bought a house and we fixed it up before they moved into it. We did it for a flat fee and it worked well. I would probably on do this kind of arrangement with someone I knew, and was NOT going to living in the house. We are probably losing money by not doing these deals, but honestly I don't want the headaches :)

flipper

I was going to focus on finding houses and assigning contracts to other investors.

It was really tough to get started but I eventually found a house I was able to get under contract and sell for $4,000 more.

So to answer your question, I had ZERO construction experience and Little to Zero real estate knowledge when I got started (I didn't know what the word "escrow" meant). I've really just gained experience over the last 5 years.

your first comment, "get a house under contract" what does that mean?

i too am at the same point you once were in not knowing what escrow means...well, i still don't fully understand, but in flipping all these homes, when you go to the bank is there a specific type of loan you go for in order to do this?

i'm assuming once u make the purchase you pay off the loan and keep the profit in pocket??

your first comment, "get a house under contract" what does that mean?

i too am at the same point you once were in not knowing what escrow means...well, i still don't fully understand, but in flipping all these homes, when you go to the bank is there a specific type of loan you go for in order to do this?

i'm assuming once u make the purchase you pay off the loan and keep the profit in pocket??

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/formslawscontr...s-contracts.asp

See Form 20-7 for the standard contract for a used single-family home. When all prospective buyers and sellers sign off on it, a home is considered to be "under contract". I suggest you read over it and highlight parts that you do not understand. Then ask questions.

If you can understand 20-7 from the very first to the very last page, it'll be very helpful in understanding the process. Also read through 38-1, 39-6, 40-2, OP-H, and OP-K. These are pretty common to have to encounter.

See Form 20-7 for the standard contract for a used single-family home. When all prospective buyers and sellers sign off on it, a home is considered to be "under contract". I suggest you read over it and highlight parts that you do not understand. Then ask questions.

If you can understand 20-7 from the very first to the very last page, it'll be very helpful in understanding the process. Also read through 38-1, 39-6, 40-2, OP-H, and OP-K. These are pretty common to have to encounter.

dude....you ARE THE MAN!!! totally helpful and resourceful! i'm starting my IDP program and boy do i wish i could have u as my mentor :D

From the pix it looks like there's a guest house and a main house.

That's a neat kitchen....except for those awful yellow doors.

That's correct. It's awesome. It's directly behind the master bedroom, but not "connected" to the house.

flipper

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway - Assuming I have an understanding of all of the items in the contract, and I have filled out the form to suit my preferences, can I "cheat the system" by directly submitting it to the seller, or their agent? Seems like a good way to save 3% on the sale price through the elimination of the Buyer's Agent...

Archived