I Wish I Were An Oscar Mayer Weiner

Vertigo58

As bizarre as it seems, this crazy thing used to be seen around our city quite often. Does anyone know when about it 1st started passing through Houston? I personally remember seeing it about the late 1960's as a kid. The second you saw it man it was like New Year's to us! Not sure how mom managed to keep driving as we were just going bonkers and started breaking out in the theme song.

written in 1963 by Richard D. Trentlage:

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener

That is what I truly want to be

'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener

Everyone would be in love with me.

Oscar Mayer is also famous for their Wienermobile, which has toured the United States for over 70 years. The first Wienermobile was created in 1936.

Oscar-Meyer-Wienermobile.jpg

As bizarre as it seems, this crazy thing used to be seen around our city quite often. Does anyone know when about it 1st started passing through Houston? I personally remember seeing it about the late 1960's as a kid. The second you saw it man it was like New Year's to us! Not sure how mom managed to keep driving as we were just going bonkers and started breaking out in the theme song.

Oscar Mayer is also famous for their Wienermobile, which has toured the United States for over 70 years. The first Wienermobile was created in 1936.

Wow! My mom said that she took me to see that Weinermobile when I was about two years old. I'm now 49.

sometimes it hangs out in the galleria near the best buy...

I spotted it driving north on the West Loop one morning. It was utterly and completely sureal. I mean, it just isn't every day that you spot a giant phallic symbol perched upon buns travelling at 70mph in Houston!

perched upon buns

good lord :D

remembering more clearly now - the weinermobile has been parked in the best buy parking lot, as well as the extended-stay hotel on the east side of sage, between richmond and alabama

good lord :D

remembering more clearly now - the weinermobile has been parked in the best buy parking lot, as well as the extended-stay hotel on the east side of sage, between richmond and alabama

Mom took me to see it when it was parked in Gulfgate parking lot many many years ago. They gave me a weinie whistle.

Guest Marty

When i lived in the Greenspoint area i would see the hot dog mobile all the time mainly on the freeway going up and down the I-45 freeway like the Goodyear Blimp did in the 80's.

I can only imagine what kinds of shouts the driver gets as he cruises around! It would be kind of wild to take the wheel and floor it around the loop. Must be hell to wipe the windshield though. Imagine changing a flat, whew! not to mention parallel parking!

• 7 months later...

Every Saturday morning on the History Channel is a series called "America Eats." Day before yesterday the episode was all about the history of hot dogs. It explained the history of the German immigrant named Oscar Mayer and all about the Wienermobile. This coming Saturday the episode will be all about the history of Snack Foods.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a series on the History Channel called "America Eats." One episode was about the history of the hot dog. It told about the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile. I don't know if it still comes around or not. I remember going to see it when I was a kid.

I would have mixed feelings about riding around in this thing. You could either be embarrassed as hell or be as happy as can be while people honk at you and wave. :blush:

Or 3 have a few drinks and just dont care what everyone thinks?

Wonder how it does on gas? What kind of garage would one use for it? So it still is lurking around our fair city huh? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, there's nothing better than a warm weiner in a warm bun.

• 2 months later...
Haha, this is crazy i saw this but this past weekend was my prom at the San Luis in Galveston, and sure enough, parked next to our beach house was this!:

1-6.jpg

We also saw the Wienermobile there at Pointe West, in addition to various other places around the island.

• The title was changed to I Wish I Were An Oscar Mayer Weiner

Archived