"Lost" thread

KimberlySayWhat

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I heard, the initial intention was to have it run for only three seasons, but it turned out to be such a success.

I hate for it to end, too, but I'm curious to see how it turns out. It's been on for three years and I still don't know what the heck it's about, yet it manages to keep me intrigued and entertained and coming back each week. It goes off in so many directions that it's like several shows in one, but they connect somehow. Like a big puzzle. I've never been hooked like this on a TV show before. In my opinion, since it came back from winter hiatus it's the best ever, sans a couple of stinkers. The episode explaining the origins of Jack's tatoos was a crappy episode.

Michael and Walt are supposed to return before the series' end so I'm thinking time travel has to have some significance to the story with Desmond's crazy flashes and all. How else will they explain Walt aging from 10 to 14/15 in a matter of about a year span unless they cast a kid that looks exactly like the actor who played Walt when the show started.

This week we're supposed to see Ben's backstory which should be interesting.

I'm such a nerd. I'm just excited about the season finale coming up because I heard it's going to be great.

Maybe not. I've seen shorter season TV DVD's for less than the standard length.

I don't like the idea of shorter 16 episode seasons, though. I hate the thought of having to wait 7 months before the start of season 4!

Yeah, they should not have put Daybreak in between the show, and just make it a 2 year event.

Make all 5 seasons equal and have some uniformity.

They did the same thing to Sex and the City and the Sopranos.

From what I heard, the initial intention was to have it run for only three seasons, but it turned out to be such a success.

I hate for it to end, too, but I'm curious to see how it turns out. It's been on for three years and I still don't know what the heck it's about, yet it manages to keep me intrigued and entertained and coming back each week. It goes off in so many directions that it's like several shows in one, but they connect somehow. Like a big puzzle. I've never been hooked like this on a TV show before. In my opinion, since it came back from winter hiatus it's the best ever, sans a couple of stinkers. The episode explaining the origins of Jack's tatoos was a crappy episode.

Michael and Walt are supposed to return before the series' end so I'm thinking time travel has to have some significance to the story with Desmond's crazy flashes and all. How else will they explain Walt aging from 10 to 14/15 in a matter of about a year span unless they cast a kid that looks exactly like the actor who played Walt when the show started.

This week we're supposed to see Ben's backstory which should be interesting.

I'm such a nerd. I'm just excited about the season finale coming up because I heard it's going to be great.

I have a prediction:) I think the last episode where we saw Locke manipulate Sawyer into killing that dude is supposed to be a mirror into what Ben does on the island. i.e. Ben's not capable of murder or doing malicious things because he's weak-minded, so he manipulates others to do the dirty deeds for him, which would be the lesson for Locke:)

Another question: if Michael and Walt made it off the island in that boat, and "all" the survivors were found dead in the plane in a trench in the ocean, what really happened to Michael and Walt? How are you supposed to explain being found dead in wreckage, then found walking in society like we're supposed to believe on the show?

DJ V Lawrence:

Another question: if Michael and Walt made it off the island in that boat, and "all" the survivors were found dead in the plane in a trench in the ocean, what really happened to Michael and Walt? How are you supposed to explain being found dead in wreckage, then found walking in society like we're supposed to believe on the show?

Parallel universe? I don't know, but that's one thing I'd like to have answered before the season finale. It'll be February when season 4 starts. It seems like it was just now February. It's almost a year away. I don't like the waiting part at all.

Here's a quote from one of the show's creators:

Lost risk losing fans' interest with an eight-month lag? ""People wait longer than eight months for the next books and films in the Harry Potter story and they don't seem to lose interest,'' Cuse says. ""We have faith that our audience, knowing exactly how much of the story we have left, is going to be with us for the rest of the ride.''

But, Lindelof says, ""the last five minutes of (this month's) finale are going to seal our fate.''

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...NEWS03/70507006

Pumapayam:

Yeah, they should not have put Daybreak in between the show, and just make it a 2 year event.

Make all 5 seasons equal and have some uniformity.

They did the same thing to Sex and the City and the Sopranos.

Did anyone even watch "Daybreak"?

I've never watched "Sopranos" or "Sex and the City", but I heard the "Sopranos" had an 18 month haitus between some of its seasons! I can't even fathom having to wait that long in between seasons for "Lost".

I think it would be a good idea for ABC to sell the series into syndication in the meantime and allow one of the cable networks the rights to air the first 3 seasons.

Okay, here's the real stuff regarding the end:

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/deta...bc-8feb872132e0

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/deta...2b-586ef1ec4dab

Yo Kim, check this out:

If Ben acquires people by "killing" them in a car accident and doping 'em with happy juice and delivering 'em to the island, what happens when he sends 'em away, like he did with Michael and Walt at the end of season two? My theory of the moment is that Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute is what happens. If you don't remember it off the top of your head, Santa Rosa is the loony bin that has been home to our own Hurley; Lenny, who gave Hurley 4 8 15 16 23 42 in the first place; Libby, who was there at the same time as Hurley while blasted out of her head on something; and, oh yeah, Locke's birth mother (back in the day). I think one of the Hanso operatives wipes out your old life, and then drops you off at Santa Rosa with a new identity intact.

Now, I believe that Hurley's dad (Cheech) works on the island, and/or was somehow a member of Dharma. How else could it be explained why he left his family in the first place? I think you'll see Cheech again, yo.

That's interesting, DJ.

I always hoped they'd explore Libby's character more. I loved the unlikely Hurley/Libby pairing. They had the mental institution in common and they didn't even know it. That was a surprising reveal. I was totally shocked when Michael killed her last year (one year ago this week to be exact).

I was just lurking on a "Lost" forum and some turd posted something about the big twist at the end of the finale. I'm going to be so angry if that person spoiled it for me without warning. People think they're so cute when they pull that crap. I'll hunt him down and yank his hair out. I'm so mad.

Cheech Marin a member of Dharma, huh? Interesting theory. I hope he grows back his cool 'stache.

That's interesting, DJ.

I always hoped they'd explore Libby's character more. I loved the unlikely Hurley/Libby pairing. They had the mental institution in common and they didn't even know it. That was a surprising reveal. I was totally shocked when Michael killed her last year (one year ago this week to be exact).

I was just lurking on a "Lost" forum and some turd posted something about the big twist at the end of the finale. I'm going to be so angry if that person spoiled it for me without warning. People think they're so cute when they pull that crap. I'll hunt him down and yank his hair out. I'm so mad.

Cheech Marin a member of Dharma, huh? Interesting theory. I hope he grows back his cool 'stache.

It would explain a lot. Maybe Hurley's involved in the story more than we think. Perhaps Libby was put in that institution as a Dharma member scouting Hurley, and once Hurley won the lottery with those mysterious "numbers", the dad came back; not for Hurley's money, but for Hurley's numbers. And perhaps there's no lottery curse; it's just that bad things happen to him because of his involvement with knowing the secret numbers that could get'em off the island:)

Consider me absolutely geeked for tonight's episode. I've been more excited about this episode than even the season finale for a long time. We've known Ben for a season and a half and yet we hardly know anything about him. Tonight, we should at least a piece of what makes Ben tick.

There was that rumor in TV guide a few weeks ago about a number of upcoming deaths this season. So far we have one, Anthony Cooper. Yes, I believe he is dead.

Here is my prediction for most likely to die this season in order of likelihood. Also, I am spoiler free for the most part. I know one bit about next week's episode but that's it and that piece isn't about the fate of Charlie. So allow me to give you some top 5 lists.

Most likely to die this season:

1) Charlie - I'm not overly concerned if he dies or doesn't.

2) Mikhail (for real this time)

3) Bernard (yes, he is still alive now)

4) James Ford (his story has run its course - this of course would be a devastating loss

5) Claire

Most untouchable characters:

1) Desmond (I believe he, not Jack, is the central character of LOST)

2) Locke

3) Ben

4) Jack

5) Juliet

Most likely to get a first flashback next season

1) Danielle

2) Alex

3) Tom

4) Richard

5) Alvar Hanso

Whoever, whatever Jacob is supposed to be, I was not expecting that! That "Help Me" moment was like a classic throwback to the scary stories we used to tell as kids. I don't know about anyone else, but I and other kids would sit around sometimes and tell scary stories. That's what that Jacob encounter remided me of. That was super creepy.

To find out that Ben gassed and killed the original Dharma employees, including his father, was a surprising twist.

Something that bothers me about that guy Richard is that he looks at least 10 years younger than Ben. Yet in Ben's flashback, when Ben was a kid, there's Richard looking the same age as he does now. I wonder if it's just one of those things where we're supposed to suspend belief and not give it another thought or if there's more to that.

What about Ben's little friend, Annie was it? I wonder why we never saw her as an adult.

As for the ending, I was on a "Lost" message board about an hour before the show started and some Canadian who gets the show before us spoiled it right in the subject title!!

I don't want Locke to be dead, though.

Awsome episode.

Am I the only one who missed this?

Jacob was shown last night. Someone slowed down the scene with Ben and Locke in the old shack. After Ben picks up the chair you see a man standing there. It was so dark and moved so fast that I didn't notice it.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479HkrFTZiI...%2Djacob%2Ehtml

Jacob looks eerily like Locke.

Here's the scene as it appeared on the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TfFExF07E

I think you HAVE to be the only person who didn't notice that. :) I have a DVR so at the commercial break I went back to look at that scene again. You can see a screencap pretty much anywhere on the web and yes, there is a shadowy resemblance to Locke. Throw some hair on Locke and I'd say it's about an 80% match. This of course calls the timeline of the island into question yet again. Locke more and more seems to be a Chosen One. By getting shot (and living presumably) he will be on his path towards greatness so that he becomes/became Jacob and the higher power of the Island.

Oh, and Richard not aging? That is obviously critical to the story. I do not believe it was Richard's Dad. I noticed that we didn't see any of the other Hostiles up close during the purge. I'm guessing that some of the current Others are original Hostiles but we don't know yet. Richard just became 1000 times more interesting. Unfortunately, I doubt any portion of last night's Ben story will be revisited until next season. Perhaps a/the Fountain of Youth exists on the Island? Richard seemed to show some distaste for Ben in last week's episode, perhaps trying to set the chains in motion for Locke to overthrow Ben.

The show last night crossed a little further over the line into supernatural, unbelievable than ever before. And I can't really figure out why. Only two episodes left. Looks like next week will revisit the Charlie and Desmond story (for the last time???) and the finale will be the showdown between the Losties and the Others, which Jack's story as backdrop. I would have to believe that his flashback will be part island, part off-island. The producers are promising a game-changing moment in the finale, calling it a "snake in a mailbox" shocker because that was the most shocking thing they could think of to describe it. I heard they finished filming 4 days ago so beware spoilers!!

I suppose I would have noticed if I had gone back and rewatched parts of it which I normally I do after the news goes off, but to tell you the truth, it freaked me out quite a bit. It's embarrasing to admit but if a certain thing hits the wrong nerve I'm like a little kid and sometimes it doesn't take much.

With that said, when I did see Jacob, it reminds me of something from that old show "Night Gallery".

I won't take credit for this because I saw it mentioned already, but I elaborated on it more after thinking about it. Someone pointed out that Annie, Ben's childhood friend and Kate both have freckles. If we didn't already know that Kate had freckles just by looking at her they've made it a point in letting us know by having Sawyer contantly refer to her as "freckles". I didn't give it much thought. Kate's 20+ years younger than Ben. She can't be Annie. But then there's Richard who was 30-something when he met a 12-year-old Ben. Twenty years later, Richard is still 30-something.

Early this season Ben made Kate put on a nice dress and have breakfast with him on the beach. That infatuation wasn't for nothing.

In Ben's flashback when he first arrives at the island and meets Annie, she offers him an Apollo candy bar. The only other time we saw Apollo candy bars was last season when Kate grabbed a handful and scarfed one down after discovering them in hatch's pantry. Annie likes Apollos and Kate likes Apollos.

Is Kate really a now 40/50-something Annie?

Is it all a coincidence? I don't think so. Are there holes in the theory? Probably.

What do you think?

Nice theory, but I'm not sure I buy it. I think we will see more Ben/Darmha flashbacks soon. I have been wrestling with the character connections they have made on the show. Whether they are just trying to be clever writers and keep us guessing with a six degree of seperation kind of thing going on. I guess I am also hung up on the idea these people were brought here which the connections seem to indicate(some of them are just to close..to be chance) or whether they crashed by desmonds not pushing the button-which i guess is indisputable but whas it all fate. I can make arguements both ways.

curtaincap656kj5.jpg

by the way i think Locke is still alive. I'm going with he was shot where his stolen kidney would have been.

westguy76:

Nice theory, but I'm not sure I buy it. I think we will see more Ben/Darmha flashbacks soon.

That probably won't come before the end of the season. A seven month to wait is not soon. :(

Something else regarding Annie/Kate, back in one of the early episodes from the first season, in one of Kate's flashbacks, she meets an Australian farmer and tells him that her name is Annie. I'm basing this on what I've heard. I have season 1 on DVD so I'd have to go back and check.

Evangiline Lily was on Jimmy Kimmel's show the other night and said that the reveal at the end of the season is huge as we've been hearing.

Next Thursday there's something airing called "Lost: The Answers". It's less than an hour long, but it's a recap show that includes interviews with the show's producers. An encore will air the following Wednesday just before the finale.

You know, I'll actually be kind of glad when the season is over because I've been way too indulgent with this show lately. It's not healthy.

i remember Kate telling the farmer her name was Annie. Has she used any other pseudonyms?

maybe Kate just reminds Ben of Annie, which is why he had that dinner with her. If she was Annie, doesn't make sense he would let the others treat her like they did. And he would have probably killed Sawyer.

What a touching swan song for "Chollie" (as Claire calls him), only he doesn't die! I think it's to throw us off. I think he'll die next week's episode for which I cannot wait! Someone read the spoilers for next week's episode and said it's the craziest thing they've ever read. I'm staying clear of any "Lost" forum until then.

Did you notice the woman Charlie saved from the mugger in the flashback was Sayid's girlfriend. I love it whenever we find out that their lives crossed before the crash.

edited:

This episode etablished the fact that Charlie can swim just fine. In one of the first episodes, there was a woman drowning, Charlie panicked and said that he coudn't swim. Hmm.

I'm not familiar with this website so I'm not sure of its credibility, but assuming it's truthful:

About Kate and Annie. Just in case, here's spoiler warning:

http://www.freewebs.com/tyco815/

This site appears to be nothing but sarcastic spoofs.

Good catch on seeing the muggee being Syaid's ex... missed that one.

I have a bad feeling about Bernard.. I don't think he's going to survive next week. Neither Bernard nor Rose have been in the show for months. I think we have to assume since its the finale, Losties will fall... it's just a matter of who... I think Bernard and/or Rose are included... The producers bring em back to us, just to get us to remember them, then they snatch em away

This season wasn't the first time Rose disappeared for a considerable amount of time. Her previous absence was due to the actress having other roles and not being available for "Lost". She seems to be a pretty busy bit player/character actress, I guess you could say. And when there's no Rose, there's no Bernard. Maybe she wasn't available until the end of the season. Rose and Bernard are minor characters, so they weren't really essential to the main storyline. Of course on this show, even the minor things turn out to be something more. Who know, maybe Rose and Bernard are the masterminds!

This season wasn't the first time Rose disappeared for a considerable amount of time. Her previous absence was due to the actress having other roles and not being available for "Lost". She seems to be a pretty busy bit player/character actress, I guess you could say. And when there's no Rose, there's no Bernard. Maybe she wasn't available until the end of the season. Rose and Bernard are minor characters, so they weren't really essential to the main storyline. Of course on this show, even the minor things turn out to be something more. Who know, maybe Rose and Bernard are the masterminds!

Boone and Shannon weren't main storylines.. neither was anna lucia or the blonde..

I rahter see a minor character bite the dust then a main charater.

Archived