Market Square Park At 301 Milam St.

TheNiche

Market Square  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Market Square is attractive in its current state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Do you think that it could reasonably be improved upon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. If you responded 'Yes' to question #2, how would you improve it?

• Add more trees/shrubs
    • Add more benches
    • Add picnic tables
    • Allow a few concession stands
    • Add a small restaurant with window orders (similar to Champ Burger or Someburger)
    • Add a playground
    • Add a dog trot
    • Add a pond
    • Add one or multiple small fountains
    • Add one central large fountain
    • Other, please explain

A "sylvan oasis." My, my. I wish I could write that way.

But anyway, I'm curious as to what is driving this. Is there a perception that there is a problem with the design of Market Square? I always thought it was OK, all things considered. Probably the best things you could do for it would be to redevelop the surface lot on the south side and get rid of the big parking garage on the west side. The focus shouldn't be on the square as much as the buildings around it. Too bad some of the city's oldest structures around it have been torn down.

Also, what happens at a "Place Making Workshop"?

this is one of those wish list type things like asking that CVS put apartments over their store in midtown.

i agree with your comments sub.

EDIT: just sent this to a merchant and the response was that the owner should go "just to make sure Carol doesn't f-it up!"

Edited by musicman

Probably the best things you could do for it would be to redevelop the surface lot on the south side and get rid of the big parking garage on the west side. The focus shouldn't be on the square as much as the buildings around it.

Can't put the cart before the horse... ;)

Also, what happens at a "Place Making Workshop"?

Depends on who's running it. Either 1) City officials attempt to persuade the public that they have a say over something that is completely beyond their control, or 2) City officials tell you what they want to do, provide a few moments for you to ask questions for which there are no clear answers, and then you go home.

Depends on who's running it. Either 1) City officials attempt to persuade the public that they have a say over something that is completely beyond their control, or 2) City officials tell you what they want to do, provide a few moments for you to ask questions for which there are no clear answers, and then you go home.

LOL so true.

First off, let me say that the parking lot south of Market Square Park needs to go immediately! It is the absolute worst spot a parking lot could be located in this city to date. That parking lot single-handedly destroys any urban ambience this park has tried to create at all....

So with that in mind, here's my idea......

Market Square Park needs to expand to the parking lot directly south of the park in an effort to make it more urban in a Central Park-type way with development bordering all sides of the park. Close down the section of Preston St that would run directly through the middle of this expanded park, so the park will run complete and uninterrupted by traffic. Then in the middle of the now expanded park, add a water feature centering around a sculpture (maybe move the Beatles sculpture to this site)....basically create a more memoriable and dramatic, stand-out signature for the park, in the heart of the park. I believe some for of dramaic signature might serve as an attaction to pull in visitors, unlike the Points of View stature the current park has. From there, add more decorative lighting for enhancement and night-time safety. Finally, add more park benches & chess tables to complement the additional green space added via expansion, thus offering more places where workers in nearby office towers or residents in nearby lofts can come to kill time in the peaceful surroundings of this true urban park, that is conveniently located nearby.

Edited by tigereye

So with that in mind, here's my idea......

Market Square Park needs to expand to the parking lot directly south of the park in an effort to make it more urban in a Central Park-type way with development bordering all sides of the park. Close down the section of Preston St that would run directly through the middle of this expanded park, so the park will run complete and uninterrupted by traffic. Then in the middle of the now expanded park, add a water feature centering around a sculpture (maybe move the Beatles sculpture to this site)....basically create a more memoriable and dramatic, stand-out signature for the park, in the heart of the park. I believe some for of dramaic signature might serve as an attaction to pull in visitors, unlike the Points of View stature the current park has. From there, add more decorative lighting for enhancement and night-time safety. Finally, add more park benches & chess tables to complement the additional green space added via expansion, thus offering more places where workers in nearby office towers or residents in nearby lofts can come to kill time in the peaceful surroundings of this true urban park, that is conveniently located nearby.

How can it expand to encompass the lot AND have development bordering all sides? unless you want to look at the back of the chronicle on one block and a parking garage on another, taking over the lot wouldn't be as dramatic as you envision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problems with the current park configuration is that it is uninviting. It is especially uninviting at night, and borders on scary. The lawns slope upward, so that you get a sense that you are walking into a secluded area where you can't be seen from the outside , a place where once you get in, you feel like you are trapped, again, especially at night. I think the slopes should go away. That is the first thing to make it less scary. The other thing is that it feels like a maze, that is, the way you have no choice but to go diagonal to get anywhere inside it, which I should add, there is not much of "anywhere" to actually go too. The whole configuration just has a very inconvenient way about it. Compare this to something like Bryant Park in NYC. There is lush green all around the perimeter, with the inside of the perimeter lined with benches and areas to sit in. There are outdoor tables and such, and an openess that invites such that you dont feel closed in. It is almost more of a plaza, except there is green all around you. Maybe something like Bryant Park would be better for our Market Square.

an interesting read from 1986:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1986_431385

WHAT to do with Market Square?

The question has dogged city planners for years, and today the future of that square in the north end of the downtown business district looks quite inviting, thanks to the cooperative efforts of planners, architects, political bodies, and most especially to five artists whose contributions have been orchestrated by DiverseWorks.

[...]

Five artists will provide the ornamental and entertainment aspects of Market Square. Doug Hollis of Houston and Richard Turner of Los Angeles are a team responsible for embedding relics of the past - artifacts and tiled photos of razed area buildings - in the sidewalks. Photographer Paul Hester has been commissioned to choose 20 archival photos and produce 20 new ones; and Malou Flato of Austin will construct four benches for the outer rim of the park, covered by hand-painted tiles. At the center James Surls' tall botanical structure of wood, to be embedded in concrete and assembled with the help of a crane, will be the plaza's center focus.

There is a freshness and bit of zaniness, together with a touch of nostalgia, in this plan - an honest linking of past and present in a way that should be refreshing at all seasons.

Edited by sevfiv

The problems with the current park configuration is that it is uninviting. It is especially uninviting at night, and borders on scary. The lawns slope upward, so that you get a sense that you are walking into a secluded area where you can't be seen from the outside , a place where once you get in, you feel like you are trapped, again, especially at night. I think the slopes should go away.

2112, you've made the same comment as one of the merchants. evidently one patron was mugged in the sunken area a few yrs back. currently, i only walk around the park as it has become a doggie potty. many lame owners don't pick their pets' crap up.

• 1 month later...

The only times I see market square are during the weekends/after 5 and of course, nobody is there. Do people use the "park" or "square" or whatever on weekdays? Do people eat lunch there and stuff? Or does it just sit empty most of the time?

I am really hoping that the new downtown park becomes a park that people actually use - like Hermann Park.

• 1 month later...

MarchFourth-35 piece marching band from Portland is on a national tour including the Hollywood Bowl,the Kennedy Center in Washington, the Knitting Factory in NYC and Market Square Park in Houston...it is a free show at 6:30 friday Oct 19... they are with horns, drums, unicycles, puppets, stiltwalkers, firebreathers and full on theatrical production... art car mentality meets circus soleil but with a world revival brass sound...no beer sponsors so support the neighborhood bars and enjoy a fun show...appropriate from 7 to 70 years old...the city is helping out to point out there is still a cool beat downtown...I apologize if this is considered promotion or an inappropriate post but the purpose is to promote the neighborhood not any particular business...

Edited by jim1960

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I found this from December '08:

PPS found, unsurprisingly, that people stayed away due to the lack of other people using the space. PPS's suggestions for livening up the park included a food stand with lots of seating, a playground, and temporary events: fitness classes, live music and a farmers market.

The #1 PPS recommendation for making the space active was a dog run. The amenity would attract people at all times of day, as well as provide a place where dog owners could meet their neighbors and form community connections.

The city is now working towards implementing these suggestions, and hope to begin construction in the summer of 2009.

http://blog.pps.org/market-square-readying...revitalization/

also...

I thought this was an interesting take:

Houston is a city where every public space is seen as a design statement not a place for people. Hence, there are no great public spaces in Houston, and there never will be until city leaders get over the idea of

Edited by lockmat

Ugh dog run.

I can't speak for anywhere else but dogs are a big deal in this city. We are one of a small minority of households on our block that doesn't have at least one. Their owners invest a lot of time in them, and like talking to other dog owners about dog stuff so I can understand catering to them. As for Market Square I've always found it very uninspiring and as other posters have pointed out the elevated lawns and sunken walkways detract from the continuity of the space, making it seem smaller and generally giving it a very dated 70s-ish feel. From a practical point of view I'd be reticent to let a toddler run around on the grass lest they go sailing off one of those ledges. And then there are the bums but given the climate they will always be a fact of life here. When I was young free and single I used to enjoy hanging out in the bars on the periphery so I'm sure it would be nice to sit outside one of those and look out on a thoughtfully updated urban space.

I can't speak for anywhere else but dogs are a big deal in this city. We are one of a small minority of households on our block that doesn't have at least one. Their owners invest a lot of time in them, and like talking to other dog owners about dog stuff so I can understand catering to them. As for Market Square I've always found it very uninspiring and as other posters have pointed out the elevated lawns and sunken walkways detract from the continuity of the space, making it seem smaller and generally giving it a very dated 70s-ish feel. From a practical point of view I'd be reticent to let a toddler run around on the grass lest they go sailing off one of those ledges. And then there are the bums but given the climate they will always be a fact of life here. When I was young free and single I used to enjoy hanging out in the bars on the periphery so I'm sure it would be nice to sit outside one of those and look out on a thoughtfully updated urban space.

However I am selfish and want things that benefit me, not others.

I'm sure this will make for a great public restroom for all. :D

Just kidding, but I'm not really sure any preconceived "design" is a good idea. The grade dynamics of it's current design does isolate the epicenter of the park and the sculpture's choice of materials reinforces a stark character. I'd be fine with the simplicity of a level grading and a manicured lawn of Hank Hill's criteria.