Market Square Park At 301 Milam St.

TheNiche

Market Square  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Market Square is attractive in its current state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Do you think that it could reasonably be improved upon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. If you responded 'Yes' to question #2, how would you improve it?

• Add more trees/shrubs
    • Add more benches
    • Add picnic tables
    • Allow a few concession stands
    • Add a small restaurant with window orders (similar to Champ Burger or Someburger)
    • Add a playground
    • Add a dog trot
    • Add a pond
    • Add one or multiple small fountains
    • Add one central large fountain
    • Other, please explain

Yeah, but the Discovery Green offers way more than a playscape. There's dancing fountains, entertainment, seasonal ice skating, playgrounds, a pond for remote control boats, etc... that's a destination park.

I like the dog run and love the idea of bringing an "outdoor Niko Nikos" to Market Square, but I'd rather them leave more green/open space then add another feature. I guess you could argue that mom's might take their little tykes there to eat and let them loose on the playscape ala Lupe Tortillas though...

I like the idea of having a restaurant, but I was told that it would be 400 sf which sounds more like a deli in a building instead of a restaurant...I guess it's something but it doesn't seem like a real draw when scaled down to that size. It seems like there could be more done to create some excitement, like what was done at Disc. Green which I believe has 2 nice size restaurants built on it.

I like the idea of having a restaurant, but I was told that it would be 400 sf which sounds more like a deli in a building instead of a restaurant...I guess it's something but it doesn't seem like a real draw when scaled down to that size. It seems like there could be more done to create some excitement, like what was done at Disc. Green which I believe has 2 nice size restaurants built on it.

I'm sure Discovery Green's size of 14 acres (versus about 1.6 acres for Market Square) has very little to do with it. :unsure:

I'm sure Discovery Green's size of 14 acres (versus about 1.6 acres for Market Square) has very little to do with it. :unsure:

Correct, I'm sure that it doesn't...Unless you really believe that getting 400 sf for a deli shack out of an entire city block consisting of 1.6 acres is all that difficult ? Surely, I'm missing your point.

Edited by 312

I'm sorry but really didn't understand your comment...

Well, that makes us even, as I have not understood any of your posts on the subject of the historic district or Market Square. Simply put, Market Square is a park. Taking up too much space to build a full size restaurant defeats the purpose in two ways. One, it leaves less room for the park...its primary intended use...and two, is much more direct competition for the existing restaurants surrounding the park, as opposed to complimentary.

Market Square is 62,500 square feet. Discovery Green is approximately 10 times that size. A full size restaurant and a hamburger stand do not overwhelm the primary nature of the space, namely, a park. A full size building on Market Square would overwhelm the space.

All of your posts appear to begin with a premise that the Historic District is being slighted by the City, METRO, the Downtown associations, and various individuals. This preoccupation with the persecution of the Historic District makes your posts disjointed at best, and flat out wrong at worst. There is no conspiracy against the Historic District or its businesses. And, Downtown is not the gold mine of retail that you claim. Many of the bars, restaurants, clubs and stores that have left have done so precisely because the market is so tough to operate in. Frankly, your posts sound like real estate agent puffery more than an accurate assessment of the Historic District and Downtown business climate. I should know. I operated businesses in Downtown and the Historic District for 10 years, and walked those streets and sidewalks before, during and after construction. I knew many of the proprietors of the businesses in the area personally. I know which ones struggled AND why. Rarely, if ever, was it attributed to rail construction or City or METRO conspiracies.

• Like 1

Well, that makes us even, as I have not understood any of your posts on the subject of the historic district or Market Square. Simply put, Market Square is a park. Taking up too much space to build a full size restaurant defeats the purpose in two ways. One, it leaves less room for the park...its primary intended use...and two, is much more direct competition for the existing restaurants surrounding the park, as opposed to complimentary.

Market Square is 62,500 square feet. Discovery Green is approximately 10 times that size. A full size restaurant and a hamburger stand do not overwhelm the primary nature of the space, namely, a park. A full size building on Market Square would overwhelm the space.

All of your posts appear to begin with a premise that the Historic District is being slighted by the City, METRO, the Downtown associations, and various individuals. This preoccupation with the persecution of the Historic District makes your posts disjointed at best, and flat out wrong at worst. There is no conspiracy against the Historic District or its businesses. And, Downtown is not the gold mine of retail that you claim. Many of the bars, restaurants, clubs and stores that have left have done so precisely because the market is so tough to operate in. Frankly, your posts sound like real estate agent puffery more than an accurate assessment of the Historic District and Downtown business climate. I should know. I operated businesses in Downtown and the Historic District for 10 years, and walked those streets and sidewalks before, during and after construction. I knew many of the proprietors of the businesses in the area personally. I know which ones struggled AND why. Rarely, if ever, was it attributed to rail construction or City or METRO conspiracies.

Thanks for your interest and also for reading "all of my posts". I thought the primary nature of the park is what was trying to be improved upon at Market Square, and as you know it's already a park and I never disputed that point. I really thought that the park was being discussed and not my posts.If you disagree that downtown has a lot of potential, well I have no problem. Speaking of the business climate you mentioned it is interesting to be in the 4th largest city in the US and perhaps even the 3rd largest city once the new census #'s are released and to have such a sluggish retail base especially with the healthy office market that it has and the 140,000 people that I hear are frequenting the area on a daily basis. A lot of areas have a whole lot less to work with in terms of procuring and developing business. I did however suggest that more could be done to promote the entire area as a whole. If you read all of my posts then you would have realized that I am pro-rail and glad to have it in place. Ask the businesses along Main if rail had an impact on their business or not because the proprietors that I know, and knew back then certainly believed that it did, this in addition to seeing the impact of it first hand as well.I still think that a 1.6 acre park could have a full size restaurant among other things and that 400 sf +/- place seems really,really small. Your post seems really defensive.Maybe I could ask you a question. Who subsidized hpavlions,and/or has an interest in the hlton located next to the convention center ? Couldn't this be a reason that it gets so much attention ?

Read my post again. It is offensive, in that it attacks the flawed premises of your arguments, and the random recitations of statistics as some sort of proof of downtown's potential, while ignoring the reality of attempting retail in a downtown environment. For instance, virtually all of those 140,000 workers leave at the end of the day, which happens to be the prime revenue producing hours for a restaurant. Most restaurants derive 10% or less of their sales from lunch, due to the fact that lunchtime diners eat smaller, less filling meals and usually do not drink alcohol. Downtown restauranteurs are forced to do the opposite, attempting to produce all of their revenue during this low revenue period.

Your attempts to paint downtown as a wonderful bar market are also filled with random and relatively useless stats. Again, during the prime alcohol selling hours, 140,000 downtown workers are in the bars near their homes enjoying happy hour, while downtown bars are serving the 5,000 or so downtown residents. Sure, some downtown bars attract patrons from outside of downtown, but these patrons must be attracted by intense marketing efforts. People do not simply drop by downtown, as they would the bars in their own neighborhoods.

Far from being a detractor of downtown, or of light rail, I am a big fan of both. I thoroughly enjoyed my years as a downtown businessman, and wish the best for those still there or considering entering the market. My "defensive" posts are merely frustration at your over reliance on irrelevant statistics and urban legend in describing downtown retail. Most retailers that have left did so for the usual reasons, poor business plans, bad management, underfinanced, and changing markets. I have been one of those downtown merchants. I know what the challenges are. This is why I am able to challenge your faulty logic.

Good luck in attracting a tenant to your building. (I mean this in all sincerity.)

Read my post again. It is offensive, in that it attacks the flawed premises of your arguments, and the random recitations of statistics as some sort of proof of downtown's potential, while ignoring the reality of attempting retail in a downtown environment. For instance, virtually all of those 140,000 workers leave at the end of the day, which happens to be the prime revenue producing hours for a restaurant. Most restaurants derive 10% or less of their sales from lunch, due to the fact that lunchtime diners eat smaller, less filling meals and usually do not drink alcohol. Downtown restauranteurs are forced to do the opposite, attempting to produce all of their revenue during this low revenue period.

Your attempts to paint downtown as a wonderful bar market are also filled with random and relatively useless stats. Again, during the prime alcohol selling hours, 140,000 downtown workers are in the bars near their homes enjoying happy hour, while downtown bars are serving the 5,000 or so downtown residents. Sure, some downtown bars attract patrons from outside of downtown, but these patrons must be attracted by intense marketing efforts. People do not simply drop by downtown, as they would the bars in their own neighborhoods.

Far from being a detractor of downtown, or of light rail, I am a big fan of both. I thoroughly enjoyed my years as a downtown businessman, and wish the best for those still there or considering entering the market. My "defensive" posts are merely frustration at your over reliance on irrelevant statistics and urban legend in describing downtown retail. Most retailers that have left did so for the usual reasons, poor business plans, bad management, underfinanced, and changing markets. I have been one of those downtown merchants. I know what the challenges are. This is why I am able to challenge your faulty logic.

Good luck in attracting a tenant to your building. (I mean this in all sincerity.)

Read my post for once...What I was suggesting is that more could probably be done in my opinon to concentrate on retaining those people in the area that frequent downtown daily an that it could go a long way towards creating more interest in the downtown area. I don't understand what urban legend you are referring to,and don't get how you believe that the statistic about how many people frequent downtown is irrelevant. If in fact those people were to remain in the area that come down here to work, then I think we would have a stronger downtown. I think that the idea is pretty simple to understand, so I don't understand where the problem is here ? There is a lack of things for people to do downtown on a daily basis in my opinion. Having more places and things to do say from 2pm- until the evening like shopping for example could translate into more people remaining later and through happy hour and dinner as you suggested. I respect that perhaps you don't agree with this suggestion as a means to build upon the area, but strongly believe on trying to make the most of positives. I think that having so many people work in the area on a daily basis is a big plus, and I foresee that number increasing which will help. I believe that if people had more options and things to do downtown they might actually hang around a bit instead of head out. I think that the liquor sales of the establishments in the area is interesting. I was not suggesting and in fact agree with you that relying primarily on trying to attract conventions/people outside of the area and making that the main focal point of attracting business doesn't seem like a long term plan which has a lasting benefit for the entire area as a whole or makes the large amount of people that frequent the downtown area want to stay after work or want to live here either. In fact from what I can tell many people would really like and enjoy having more amenities in place downtown, so maybe if more existed already in terms of retailers people are used to having access to then more people might be willing to stay and live downtown, where they work. Also didn't follow your comment about all the retailers and you being a merchant. I don't agree with your assessment that every business that was ever located downtown moved or didn't make it because they were all inferior operators and/or were all undercapitalized, but think it probably doesn't matter anyway. Afterall what exodus of retail-merchants could you possibly be talking about anyway that doesn't have to do with bars and restaurants? I am not discussing retail in the area dating back to the city's beginnings, but am discussing retail in recent years. I think that a majority of the retail downtown consists of bars and restaurants and so that's what I discussed. I believe that they probably represent the majority of first tier/original retailers (starting from recent years) entering this area just as they were prior to light rail. What kind of intense marketing efforts would you recommend ? I also asked you a question and didn't receive a response to it in the previous post.

Edited by 312

• 1 month later...

It's official. Niko Niko's has announced that they are opening a sidewalk kiosk restaurant in Market Square. See chron.com. They should be open in late summer.

http://blogs.chron.com/forkandcork/2010/04/montrose_icon_niko_nikos_to_ex_1.html

Look for foods perfect for on-the-go downtown workers, including European-style coffee and breakfast selections.

there also will be Greek-themed breakfasts (another first for Niko Niko's), including fresh Greek yogurt with honey, cheese pies, egg pitas and bougatsa, a custard-filled pastry with powdered sugar. The new site also will serve beer and wine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They poured the brown concrete for the art walk recently and they're already tearing it up. This is a curved walk to the east of the doggie run. Apparently, some of the poured sections did not match up in color.

• Like 1

They poured the brown concrete for the art walk recently and they're already tearing it up. This is a curved walk to the east of the doggie run. Apparently, some of the poured sections did not match up in color.

That sucks. I hate it when that happens!

Brown concrete, is that to camouflage the dog poop so more people step in it?

Brown concrete, is that to camouflage the dog poop so more people step in it?

The art walk is at a higher level than the dog park, so no dookie will be involved. Friday, they removed the walk-on portion. Over the weekend, they removed the rest of the concrete, which had formed, inset 'art boxes' in the walk. Today, they're installing plexi-glass (I guess) between the crescent-shaped art walk and the dog area. It looks like you'll be able to stand above on the walk and look through to see the doggies play.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, the fencing separating certain areas is a metal type of lattice, not plexi-glass.

The inset boxes on the art walk have now been filled. It looks like they kept some of the old remnants and cast them in concrete (like stepping stones) and placed them in the square holes.

Get this! They laid the sod for the lawn earlier in the week. Um, they took it out today. WTF!?

Hmm, maybe they decided to lay Bermuda sod instead of St Augustine? Ya know, since Bermuda requires less watering and the like...

What did they do with the beautiful tiles and cool fountains? All the mounted patrols watered their horses there.

Those (4) "Flatos" never moved. The water features have been turned off during construction, though. The "Surls" was removed and rehabbed. It's the thing that looks like boat oars and barbed wire. It's back now and is placed in a square pond or fountain.

Posters started appearing yesterday regarding the Market Square Park Neighborhood Shindig! There is a facebook site by that name. It will take place on Sat. Aug. 28th.

Celebrate the park's grand re-opening!

2-6 pm

*Dog Activities sponsored by the Houston Dog Park Assn.

*Historic District Tours sponsored by Greater Houston Preservation Alliance

*Meet & Greet w/Dimitri Fetokakis of Niko Niko's-- free coffee samples!

...6 pm Ribbon Cutting & Fanfare w/Mayor Annise Parker

7 pm Singer/Songwriter Andrew Karnavas

8 pm The John Evans Band

• Like 1

Ate at Market Square Bar and Grill for lunch. Forgot how much I like that place... Anyway, the renovations to the actual square look pretty sweet. Now, if only the city would give LaCaraffe the permit for outdoor seating...

An application for liquor license sign is posted for Niko Niko's, so maybe we can get our outdoor drank-on there.

I've only seen it a few months ago, but it does seem like it's looking like the PDF posted.

Call me heartless, but that "Lauren's Garden" just doesn't sit well with me.

One other thing they could have added is a small Kiosk for HPD for the public to walk up, get forms, ask questions, and be able to offer some help to the roving police officers in the area. It could have been a nice way for a little HPD PR.

But still, it does irritate me a bit, though.

It does me, too, but this is the world we live in. Everyone must be publicized, memorialized and remembered. Just as people on Facebook clamber for friends, and Twitter users beg for followers, every 6 year old who calls 911 is hailed as a hero, and every person who dies must have a charity or event named after them, or a memorial built in their honor, even if it is simply a cross on the street where they died. Our parents used to visit the gravesite of lost loved ones, but these days we must let the entire world know that our sister or brother died.

Just as I have experienced 'charity fatigue', I also have 'memorial fatigue', and 'hero fatigue'. But, it is only a small part of the park. You are not required to observe a moment of silence in the garden. There are bigger battles to be fought, such as protecting Angry White People from the indignity of a Walmart near the Heights.

Edited by RedScare