BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir At 1150 Brand Ln.

Talk about magical and mystifying. This temple is unbelievably gorgeous. Each of the 33,000 pieces is carved out of marble and limestone and improted from India and Italy. It only took 22 months from conception to opening, which is hard to believe if you've seen it. 109 sculptors/artists worked on it. The detail in the carving is incredible. A true gem right here in Houston and apparently it's the only open temple like this in the US.

It's called Shikharbaddha Mandir.

http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalnetwork/...ica/houston.htm

The pictures don't do it justice. You HAVE to see it.

I haven't been to that one in Austin, but it looks very beautiful. It is very different from the temple in Stafford. First of all it's size is much bigger. But more importantly is the open air concept that the temple in Stafford has along with the fact that the entire structure is marble and limestone.

***The best time to go is right before twilight. You can see it during the day and take your time to look at all of the detailed carvings, then wait for the sun to go down and the carvings have these little tiny fiber optic light that come on and just twinkle. You don't even notice them during the day, they look like little nails. The structure is situated up on a hill with many marble steps leading up to it. It's amazing to look back as you're driving away because the building is illuminated so beautifully.

It's really hard to explain unless you have been there. Have you been there? I highly recommend going.

I mentioned it specifically in this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=5940

...along with their website URL, but nobody made a comment. I've driven by it hundreds of times, as my mom lives in that neighborhood right there off W. Airport, directly across the street from this temple.

What I wondered, however, was whether this place is open to the public or if it is only for buddists?

-Michael

Yes it's open to the public. They do have a dress code. I wore a skirt that was to my knees thinkin it was ok but they made me put on this skirt thing that was to the floor. You also have to take off your shoes which was cold in November on the marble. They have guides there that will explain the significance of the carvings and displays.

• 3 months later...

Actually, the sect of Hinduism is called "swaminarayan" or BAPS.

They are a conservative lot when it comes to women especially and are strict vegetarians.

The temples they build are amazing, b/c the follower have a huge amount of money in general.

They build these temples all over the world, but by most accounts the one in Houston is the best in the US. Stafford was picked b/c the land is cheaper and it is close to Sugar Land, which has a large Indian population.

They recetly constucted this temple http://www.akshardham.com/ in New Dehli which many are calling the new Taj Mahal - it is amazing.

Actually, the sect of Hinduism is called "swaminarayan" or BAPS.

They are a conservative lot when it comes to women especially and are strict vegetarians.

The temples they build are amazing, b/c the follower have a huge amount of money in general.

They build these temples all over the world, but by most accounts the one in Houston is the best in the US. Stafford was picked b/c the land is cheaper and it is close to Sugar Land, which has a large Indian population.

They recetly constucted this temple http://www.akshardham.com/ in New Dehli which many are calling the new Taj Mahal - it is amazing.

Wow, it's like an Indian Disneyland. A little on the cheesy side to me. There is an icon to click on that says boat ride. C'mon!

I think it's really beautiful and a great addition to our region. Also, I really love the look of the "towers" surrounding the inner part. I think if someone were to take the basic design for one of those (stupas (???)) and make it into a skyscraper, it would be very beautiful and unique for a highrise.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great pics of the temples. I live a stone's throw away (a Houston stone's throw) from the Stafford temple and drive by it a lot. I left for college in 2004 and recently moved back home and it's amazing how much diversity there is in my part of SW Houston. They recently opened the Turquoise Center and India House (I see them playing cricket a lot in the field by the building) off W. Bellfort and I believe an Orthodox Jewish Temple/Center off W. Airport and BW8. Not to mention the few mosques that have sprung up in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

To get into the Stafford temple, just walk in :)

I go often and meditate under the central dome. The people there are very nice and welcoming. They are full of answers if you have questions and they also would like to know a bit about you if you want to share :) They will also leave you free to walk around and look at everything, but just don't touch the marble.

• The title was changed to BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir At 1150 Brand Ln.