Where Is This?

Can anyone help me please? I need to know where this picture is.

Please give us some kind of a clue - what was the source of this photo? What is (or might be) interesting about this building? Any general idea where it might be located?

It's for a contest. Here's what I know: There are many businesses nearby, including a book store, bowling alley, auto repair shops, beauty salon, And there are rolling hills, rocks, streams and fields here. And the photo. It's really important to me. Thanks.

It's for a contest. Here's what I know: There are many businesses nearby, including a book store, bowling alley, auto repair shops, beauty salon, And there are rolling hills, rocks, streams and fields here. And the photo. It's really important to me. Thanks.

OK...

I notice that you put your post in the "Holy Places" section of the Forum - do you have reason to believe that this building was a church or affiliated with some religion?

gallery_31_35_35031.jpg

So let's speculate about what we see in the picture. It appears to be situated at the convergence of two roads. It's symmetrical, except for that small door at the far end; could it have divided into two parts in the interior (perhaps to separate genders?) The archways puzzle me - they're rather large for doors, yet too narrow to accommodate a typical wagon. The chimneys resemble those found on 19th century buildings, and are constructed of brick rather than the huge blocks of stone which comprise the rest of the building. Could they have been added later? Do they extend to the ground floor? If so, and there are fireplaces directly below them, seems to me that they would crowd the areas close to the arched entrances.

It's built of such massive blocks of stone, yet is without ornament...an armory, perhaps, or a jail? And where are stones of that color quarried? Also, it looks as if electricity had been brought in (the conduit towards the right side of the building), and someone has taken the trouble to board up the windows, so it may have been in use until relatively recently. The roof looks intact.

Now you've got me wondering. Promise that you'll let us know what it is if you find out.

I don't think it's in Houston, or even Texas. Not just from clues in the photo (building materials, building style, road material, vegetation, dirt), but also from looking at karmacrasy's postings on other sites looking for help with other photos from this contest, and the other photos that have featured in the contest.

Despite the 5-22-99 stamp being in U.S. format, I think it may not be in the U.S. It's not just the absence of paint on the road - it just doesn't have a U.S. feel to me. Doubt that's much help, but for what it's worth.

That actually looks familiar to me...is it down 59? I'm searching my memory banks...seems like somewhere towards Corpus, or maybe it's on 44 or 59 between Corpus and Laredo? Can't be that, after I re-read the part about this being near rolling hills and streams.

For all I remember it could be something I've seen in Central Texas. It sure looks reminiscent of Central Texas to me.

It does look familiar to me.

• The title was changed to Where Is This?

Archived