What color would you paint these windows?

mpbro

Currently just primer now. Until I'm sure it will be an improvement over primer, I'm not going to paint! My wife thinks something grey, or grey with a little blue. I'm clueless. Thoughts???

hr1878761-16.jpg

Currently just primer now. Until I'm sure it will be an improvement over primer, I'm not going to paint! My wife thinks something grey, or grey with a little blue. I'm clueless. Thoughts???

hr1878761-16.jpg

I don't think its the frames that are the main concern. I would paint a bright white but certainly plant some foliage in front of the windows (apart from the house of course) that will take focus away from the plain windows. It looks awfully colorless right now.

Maybe gardenias for year round greenery and fragrance?

The gutters should be white to match the windows. Brown is such a dull lifeless color and makes the house look older. The roof matches the brick so I would leave as is.

PS that small tree is going to create problems as it gets bigger too. Trust me on that one. Sorry to stray but all this plays into the window question so I would think about it. :P

I'd use a dark slate-ish grey.

flipper

Danke. Here's a nearby home which just sold. Would you say something darker than this?

hr1836791-1.jpg

I don't think its the frames that are the main concern. I would paint a bright white but certainly plant some foliage in front of the windows (apart from the house of course) that will take focus away from the plain windows. It looks awfully colorless right now.

The gutters should be white to match the windows. Brown is such a dull lifeless color and makes the house look older. The roof matches the brick so I would leave as is.

PS that small tree is going to create problems as it gets bigger too. Trust me on that one. Sorry to stray but all this plays into the window question so I would think about it. tongue.gif

Heh-heh, we ripped out a whole bunch of old photinia(?) bushes and started over. I agree some small bushes would be nice. We put some annuals there. There are also some "Dwarf Ruellia" plants that I like. They will pop up a little more and have nice purple flowers. The small tree is actually a mature Japanese Yew tree. I cut down two others, but couldn't bear to cut that one down for some silly reason. :rolleyes:

Painting the gutters wouldbe easy enough. Should probably replace them!

A rust color would look really nice, a sort of statement. Sherwin Williams makes three that I like: Pennywise, Red Cent, and Spicy Hue. They also make a color which is cleverly named Window Pane, an ultrasoft bluish white, which would look good. I think that the slate color might sort of sadden the house, and contradict with the cheery 50's ranch look of the home. I'm a big fan of grey (my whole house is grey) but on this place I'm not sure. There is nothing wrong with the white that you currently have, though.

Danke. Here's a nearby home which just sold. Would you say something darker than this?

I'd say definetely darker than that. And those are way too blue.

Dark window frames can really change the look:

kingfrontbefore.jpg

kingfrontafter.jpg

flipper

hr1878761-16.jpg

I would meld the window trim with the darkest brick and meld the gutters with the roof (and actually, your gutter color looks right on). That gives you enough contrast within the entire structure thereby avoiding a more cartoonish look just for the sake of being different. Tasteful and understated will always trump garish and cartoonish whether it comes to your home-which you will live in for a long time or your flip which needs to appeal to the broadest audience.

Archived