The Offices At Sam Houston

psilverot

Lately the Beltway area along Jersey Village and 249 have been under major construction. There are many plans for offices. What's going on? It was not long ago that it was all land and trees. I don't mind. Just wondering what's all this construction...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean that river of ugliness that I have to take to work every day? Are you referring to the large distribution centers and business parks being built between West and Gessner, or do you mean the work they're doing on the freeway itself? They just cut down a bunch of trees that provided a buffer for my neighborhood, which sits right along the Beltway. I assume it's going to be some new office building. I already get the pleasure of having NewQuest's headquarters right in front of the entrance to my neighborhood.

Yes, i am talking about the area between west and gessner.... what are they planning over there? It looks like they are going to extend gessner or something.

You mean that river of ugliness that I have to take to work every day? Are you referring to the large distribution centers and business parks being built between West and Gessner, or do you mean the work they're doing on the freeway itself? They just cut down a bunch of trees that provided a buffer for my neighborhood, which sits right along the Beltway. I assume it's going to be some new office building. I already get the pleasure of having NewQuest's headquarters right in front of the entrance to my neighborhood.

I recently drove from 290 to 59N on BW8 for the first time in many moons.

The view made me sad to say the least.

It's a sad, sad, state of affairs. Who in the WORLD would want to put their business on this ill-conceived loop?

At least these buildings are truly disposable. There are a few exceptions but for the most part it's JUNK.

I concur. It would appear that these business park and distribution center developers are attracted to the low priced land, which is why construction has been booming the last 5 years.

Back in 2001, that stretch that you took was mostly trees and grassland. Now it's just concrete and big box buildings.

you forgot the occassional Beltway Apartment Complex sprinkled in also.....also though..the Katy Freeway expansion has relocated alot of businesses to the Beltway also...I know Barcelona Sports was a casualty of the expansion

I read somewhere that as a lot of companies sell off their expensive inner loop warehouses to residential developers, that the northwest side was becoming the new location for a lot of these industrial parks. I am not sure that the Beltway was the location they mentioned, but it certainly sounds (and looks) like it.

I was going to say, the Beltway development wasn't so bad. It's kind of becoming the hub for Houston's burgeoning local small/medium size businesses and corporations.

There are a number of gi-normous warehouse distribution facilities located near 290 and the Beltway - probably what Red is referring to.

I agree. it really doesn't look all that bad especially along the heron lakes golf course. By the way, does anyone know if that steakhouse is any good. The one with the statue of Sam Houston in front???

I've been to that Jack-in-the-Box before too... I've noticed that shopping center across the way on Gessner. It's been completed for a while now yet no one has lease any of it. It would be a great location for restaurants. The area is so dry.... Some more restaurants in the area would really help. :rolleyes:

you do better going to b4ueat.com for those reviews....

only thing I tried out there was Jack-In-The-Box

• 4 weeks later...

I was passing along the beltway today and noticed that some construction has started next to the ICONbank on Gessner. Anyone know what this will be? Also, they cleared some land between Gessner and Windfern next to Innova electronics. Any clue? I also noticed a sign put up between Fallbrook and West Rd. with a picture of some plans of some really huge looking buildings (pretty cool). Does anyone know? thanks...

Long-time lurker here, just joined up to give my 2 cents on this topic!

I live in Winchester Country, and I'm really very unhappy with all the new construction in my area - especially the new "Industrial Park" that is being built on Round Up, right behind the gi-normous Carpet Warehouse (not open to the public), which will no doubt mean even more 18-wheelers running up and down that residential street...

Lots of new apartments going up (behind the Walgreens on West inside BW8), there's a serious oversupply of crappy strip centers (all vacant) being built in the area, and now a huge new office building being built between Gessner and Windfern (psilverot mentions above). This area used to be fairly quiet, but the past few years have been unkind to trees up here.

:( very sad

I agree. it really doesn't look all that bad especially along the heron lakes golf course. By the way, does anyone know if that steakhouse is any good. The one with the statue of Sam Houston in front???

It's overpriced for what it is. Atmosphere inside is terrible, but food is okay. Would rather pay the same and go to Perry's.

I concur. It would appear that these business park and distribution center developers are attracted to the low priced land, which is why construction has been booming the last 5 years.

Back in 2001, that stretch that you took was mostly trees and grassland. Now it's just concrete and big box buildings.

It is truly a blight. But most of the BW8 is like that except perhaps for Greenpoint (which was there first) and Westheimer @ BW8 where that big computer firm complex is --forget the name, sorry.

What size building is that office which will be built between Gessner and Windfern? Are you talking about the land with the fencing surroundings?

Long-time lurker here, just joined up to give my 2 cents on this topic!

I live in Winchester Country, and I'm really very unhappy with all the new construction in my area - especially the new "Industrial Park" that is being built on Round Up, right behind the gi-normous Carpet Warehouse (not open to the public), which will no doubt mean even more 18-wheelers running up and down that residential street...

Lots of new apartments going up (behind the Walgreens on West inside BW8), there's a serious oversupply of crappy strip centers (all vacant) being built in the area, and now a huge new office building being built between Gessner and Windfern (psilverot mentions above). This area used to be fairly quiet, but the past few years have been unkind to trees up here.

:( very sad

I read somewhere that as a lot of companies sell off their expensive inner loop warehouses to residential developers, that the northwest side was becoming the new location for a lot of these industrial parks. I am not sure that the Beltway was the location they mentioned, but it certainly sounds (and looks) like it.

You are exactly correct. The inner loop is increasingly getting high demand for residential and upscale retail development. The small/medium sized business parks as well as warehouses are relocating to that area. As many of you mentioned, as Houston goes, land is inexpensive there and has some very lax zoning laws. (Yes, even more lax than general Houston zoning laws)

I don't mind some of the development. You all know how Houston works. Being a predominantly freeway city; when thoroughfares are built, so comes the development of that area. I was in the Spring/Klein area off of 249 and Louetta over Spring Break and could not believe how much development is going on there. Anyway, my point is......once the roads, highways and freeways are built, then comes the businesses looking to profit from low land prices and anticipated high traffic.

Think of I-45 North in the late 70s/early 80s. There were nice homes along the feeder going out toward the Woodlands area....which morphed into small businesses ....which are slowly but surely being all mowed down to build large commercial areas. It is just the evolution of a growing city. Yes, on the one hand it is sad to see all the foliage go from that part of town, but the same can be said of most of Houston- which is why there is such a push to plant thousands of trees in the metro area. I am sorry for those people who bought homes just a few years ago to have a major freeway(tollway) mow, seemingly, right through the neighborhood. There is now even talk of expanding 249 TOWARD the downtown area.

So, i my feelings are 50/50 concerning this topic. Yes, i don't like it that some neighborhoods are invaded by this type of development, but then again, where else is it to go? Maybe stricter zoning laws???

One more thing- does anyone know if it was general knowledge back in say, early-80s, that the Sam Houston Tollway was going to be developed?

m.

One more thing- does anyone know if it was general knowledge back in say, early-80s, that the Sam Houston Tollway was going to be developed?

m.

Yes, according to TexasFreeways.com, Houston always had a master plan, just look at this plan from 1971:

houston_1971_merged.jpg

^^^^Well, there you have it. Thanks. It is amazing to me this was on the board 35 years ago. It seems Houston has pretty much stuck with the plans AND with Grand Parkway being a third loop!!! Good God! I was short sighted. I thought Hwy 6/ 1960 would morph into a loop over time, but obviously city planners want Houston to encompass all of Southeast TX by say, 2020-2030!! Good Lord what a monster!

Of Course, a monster i love. >:)

Thanks for the info.

m.

m.

It seems they did, but did anyone realize it would be a TOLL road?? Remember when they first said they'd stop charging tolls once the road was "paid for"? Now it's a cash cow and they will be adding more toll roads around town.

It seems they did, but did anyone realize it would be a TOLL road?? Remember when they first said they'd stop charging tolls once the road was "paid for"? Now it's a cash cow and they will be adding more toll roads around town.

Well, they probably didn't realize how inadequate the gasoline tax would be 30 years down the road.

What size building is that office which will be built between Gessner and Windfern? Are you talking about the land with the fencing surroundings?

I'm talking about the parcel of land between Gessner/West and Windfern, on the north side (between the Exxon/apartments and flooring warehouse/Kroger).

They are building an "Office Park" with 383,000sf of "luxury office space". Right at the end of a residential road that cuts through to/from West Road.

My mother, who lives on that road (Red Wolf), is livid.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've noticed that they put a picture up for this project. How soon before they start? Also, it looks like there will be a parking garage (I'm not sure).

I'm talking about the parcel of land between Gessner/West and Windfern, on the north side (between the Exxon/apartments and flooring warehouse/Kroger).

They are building an "Office Park" with 383,000sf of "luxury office space". Right at the end of a residential road that cuts through to/from West Road.

My mother, who lives on that road (Red Wolf), is livid.

If they're going to build so much around there, how about something useful? Like a decent grocery store?

When I moved into this area 10 years ago, it was really nice... now it's just apartments and lots of new pawn shops. Me no likey!

This is where I currently live, right at West Rd and Beltway 8. It was once the foot of a nice peaceful community, which is steadily becoming more sprawl-like with all the crap they keep building around me. I remember back in 1995 when nothing was there except nice neighborhoods and the Beltway 8 was so easy to drive on because there was no development. Now there is traffic all over the place, and my intersection is nearly impossible to get out of at any time of day. I was even waiting in a median with cars all around me trying to get through in different directions at 9:30pm at night. That is ridiculous, and there's no traffic light there, only a stop sign. They really screwed up by building the gas stations, strip centers, and Kroger store so close to the beltway.

To the last person who said they should build something useful like a grocery store, there is already one at West Rd and Beltway 8, a Kroger store. I live literally across the street, but I don't ever go to that store. The employees are idiots, the self-checkouts are annoying with the loud computer voice telling you what to do next, the store is poorly designed on the inside, and the parking lot is almost as bad as Wal-Mart's. The Kroger Signature at Jones Rd. and West, about 3 miles down, is much, much better.

I lived right at Greens and 249.....nice area with easy access to and from work..problem is the damn morning commute and the increased traffic off the two-way road past Gessner...

I feel you on the West Road and BW8 Intersection.....I've been caught in that several times and hate it...

If they expand 249 to I-45..that would probably be a great thing......but they would HAVE to put an on-ramp to I-45 which would probably mean an I-45 expansion to handle the increased traffic flow

Archived