What is Arlington like now?

I was once attending an airline school in Arlington around 1983. At the time Arlington was just starting to really grow. I know I was staying near 6 Flags vicinity. There was an old mall nearby and I recall eating at a Grandy's restaurant nearby. I along with other kids from all over the US would go to local clubs and dance. We met some people from the Las Colinas area which I felt was very similar to our River Oaks area here in Houston. I admit I liked Las Colinas better because of the hills. (To us they are hills because its flat here) Anyway just wondered if anyone has recent photos of Arlington as it is today. Thanks! :P

Arlington is a middle class city with houses. Think Eastwood or Sharpstown. Thats what Arlington is nowadays. Six Flags is still there, the mall you remember is now called Six Flags mall and is only nominally better then Houston's Sharpstown or Almeda Mall.

There is a "Sugar Landish" are of Arlington called Forest Hills. Very neat and clean and nice residential construction. Other than that they are building some new Sports Complex there and they have some Sports Complex on Randoll Mill Road (for the Texas Rangers, i think).

Its more of a destination town with 2 sports complexes and a Six Flags. They market it as such. I think the population is 375,000.

Arlington is real nice on its Southwest side. Big mansions (especially around Lake Arlington). The real big ones start on Pleasant Ridge, just west of the mall (Parks at Arlington Mall). It was nice when I went in January.

There are some pockets of nice areas in Arlington, but its not the norm. Their downtown and other areas appear be run down, buy not crime ridden. The apartments built from the 60's, 70's and 80's have not been kept too well. Arlington and its leaders are truly hoping the new Cowboys stadium and Glory park will bring much tax base needed to revamp roads, upgrade schools etc. The mayor has gone so far as to say Arlington will be the leader in development for the metroplex in the coming years. Currently things haven't changed much in Arlington over the past couple of decades. Ya the population has grown, but what they have has not been maintained that well and many areas are in need of a desparate make over. The one thing Arlington and some other city leaders are banning together to do is go to Austin to see if they can raise their sales tax. Arlington maxed out their sales tax when financing the Cowboys stadium, and now they want to get in on Dart, the T, or the TRE, but can't currently. If they do get what they want, then you will see some changes in downtown Arlington and around UTA.

Its more of a destination town with 2 sports complexes and a Six Flags. They market it as such. I think the population is 375,000.

Thanks everyone for the update. It had been years since I had heard or seen anything on Arlington, more mysteries solved! Now I gotta go to a ball game there! :P

• 2 months later...

Of course, with the New Cowboys 1B stadium going up, that's a pretty major accomplishment. And I think the population estimate is over 400K now. Arlington stubbornly refuses to jump on the mass transit train. They belong neither to DART nor the "T". They will live to regret that decision.

Of course, with the New Cowboys 1B stadium going up, that's a pretty major accomplishment. And I think the population estimate is over 400K now. Arlington stubbornly refuses to jump on the mass transit train. They belong neither to DART nor the "T". They will live to regret that decision.

I don't know. They are far enough from both Ft Worth and Dallas where it may not seem like a pressing issue. Besides, they are busy devoting their tax revenues to building a stadium, which is a lot for a small city, so there may not be extra funding available for transit.

364k as of 1/1/2007. It will be many years before 400k as they have one of the slowest growth rates of suburban metroplex cities.

Jason

I don't know where your number is from, Jason. But the Census Bureau has Arlington at 362,805 as of July 1 2005, having grown about 28,000 in the five years since July 1, 2000. At that rate, they'll hit 400,000 not long after 2010.

Actually, there are plans to bring rail out to Arlington. Arlington will put the idea on a ballot within the next year. The "T" is expanding from DT Fort Worth to the north side DFW airport to hook up with the Dart which is priority one. Meanwhile they already have plans for a temporary stop along the UP line south of stadium off division street.

"Council of Governments officials said they would continue to look at light rail regionally and would negotiate for use of a Union Pacific rail line through Arlington for Super Bowl use.

Mr. Staubach told media members this week that "there will be rail access out to Arlington, supposedly, by the time this happens," he said.

The rail stop that Staubach references is only a temporary stop for Super Bowl week. I find it hard to believe that Arlington voters would see the wisdom of paying even higher sales taxes for a permanent rail stop, given that they have no bus transit, and apparently, no plans for it. Rail is just not viable, if its only purpose is serving a stadium used on Sundays, the lowest traffic day of the week. And, certainly anyone who can afford the Cowboys' new ticket prices can afford personal transportation.

The rail stop that Staubach references is only a temporary stop for Super Bowl week. I find it hard to believe that Arlington voters would see the wisdom of paying even higher sales taxes for a permanent rail stop, given that they have no bus transit, and apparently, no plans for it. Rail is just not viable, if its only purpose is serving a stadium used on Sundays, the lowest traffic day of the week. And, certainly anyone who can afford the Cowboys' new ticket prices can afford personal transportation.

True, the rail stop is being proposed for the week of the super bowl currently. Arlington is currently in negotiations for a bus service through the Ft. Worth T to connect Arlington with downtown Ft. Worth. This would be limited to bus service on the freeways. When you include the surrounding development of Glory park and Arlington wanting to revamp their downtown and area around UTA, the rail transit component looks viable. They have been working to Union Pacific and another rail company on obtaining abandoned or possible shared rail lines through Arlington. These efforts are in colaboration with DART and the Ft. Worth T. Arlington along with some other North Texas municipalities have been lobbying in Austin earlier this year to approve a raise a in sales tax so they may join one of the rail agencies. Time will tell, but the history of the voters does not put much faith in the process. I also wonder when the Ft. Worth T plans to start construction of its rail.

Thanks slfunk. I read the same article about the transit service in Arlington this morning. I think light rail will eventually go through Arlington and most likely run parallel with division street which is only 2 blocks away from Jerry World and the Rangers Ballpark (or whatever its called today).

If you want to find out more about the T expansion, check out this website.

http://www.sw2nerail.com/

This will link the T to Dart, or vice versa, by way of an intermodal station at DFW airport. Its still about 6-8 years out.

The new Park and Ride service from Arlington to Fort Worth is a nice start, but the city still remains an exceptionally large, aging, (mostly) bedroom community that has enough resources to forgo transit in favor of sweetheart deals to sports team owners.

With the Cowboys, the city has successfully established itself as a year-round entertainment venue, along side The Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags.

The real question remains whether or not the city will ever reclaim its $325 million investment in the new Cowboys stadium?

Some benefits from the games and events at the stadium (including the Superbowl) will go to Arlington, but Fort Worth and Dallas will likely benefit more.

Perhaps Arlington benefits simply by having its name mentioned in the media - although they should look to Irving to see how well that pays off over time.

With the Cowboys, the city has successfully established itself as a year-round entertainment venue, along side The Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags.

Perhaps Arlington benefits simply by having its name mentioned in the media - although they should look to Irving to see how well that pays off over time.

It cannot be claimed that Arlington has SUCCESSFULLY established itself as a year-round entertainment venue, given that the stadium has not even opened. The barometer of success will be whether they can attract visitors to the area on days other than the 10 Sundays that the Cowboys play. There has always been big talk by supporters of football stadiums that it will invigorate the area, but the number of cases where that has actually occurred is actually quite small. There is a real question whether Dallas area residents will flock to Arlington to eat at a restaurant, just because there is a new football stadium nearby. The excitement on the field does not translate into excitement outside the stadium on non-game days.

As for having your name mentioned on TV....no better case could be made than Irving, as you stated.

It cannot be claimed that Arlington has SUCCESSFULLY established itself as a year-round entertainment venue, given that the stadium has not even opened.

Once the first phase of Glory Park is openned, I believe the area will be a year-round destination spot. Not sure if everyone has seen this but here you go..

http://www.glorypark.com/our_plan.htm

I doubt Glorypark would make it a year-round destination. Glorypark looks nothing more than that one center in Garland, or the Southlake Town Center. I think it will just attract people in the immediate area.

I doubt Glorypark would make it a year-round destination. Glorypark looks nothing more than that one center in Garland, or the Southlake Town Center. I think it will just attract people in the immediate area.

Exactly, with shopping, hotels and restaurants it will be a year-round destination not only for Arlington residents but for folks all around DFW and the state of Texas. I don't live in Southlake but I visit their town during the holidays to see the Town Center decorated. Also, Holiday in the Park at Six Flags is a lot of fun.

It will be a good destination for the people of the midcites on day to day scenario. It will be an energized placed on game days. There will be little reason for the people in and around downtown Dallas, downtown Ft. Worth, north Dallas, Plano, Addison, Oak Cliff or numerous other places to venture out there other then the game. It is, however, an exciting project for the Arlington and its residents. There are plenty of phases in the works on this thing, and it will change the perception of Arlington, (which IMO is needed). Other then Six Flags or the Rangers, I can not think of one thing to go out there for being a resident in uptown.

Archived