Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

no genius. look where discovery tower will be. i know it says one park place but look at the pic and you'll see what im talking about.

The greyed out buildings are conceptual only. This drawing was done for the Finger Companies. Trammell Crow has nothing to do with it.

Guest danax
green is atleast the new fade, and is something that should be looked at in all cities. I think it adds to the community and appeal, but more so it adds to teh community engagement to really recreate an area that molds together.

This building could end up being "green", since CB Richard Ellis bought Trammell Crow this year and has plans to "go green" in the near future and reduce or eliminate any carbon dioxide producing energy consumption by any of their buildings. In light of that, you would think that this building would be somewhat in line with that plan.

What that means in terms of architecture, who knows. This whole green trend seems still very wide open and experimental, which might be a good thing in terms of the possibility of getting something creative and, maybe even beautiful. I think potential clients might be more willing to lease in a building that is a tad on the wacky-looking side if they felt that they were somehow helping the environment and being responsible world citizens.

Here are a few greenscrapers designed for other cities.

Dubai 4uswy1z.jpg

Miami (Sponge Bob Tower) 4qoznly.jpg

Dubai Lighthouse 67rk41f.jpg

I personally think 'green' would be several blocks of 5-10 stories, mixed use, spreading out the density more to help create the 'critical mass' of residents and area that serves as the anchor of a new urban district.

I have seen the rendering of their building. Picture a very shiny grey glass box intersected with with a facade that faces the park being lighter in color with some horizontal banding with some stonework or precast. Think BMC light or 1000 Main. No curves.

Forgive me for asking, but where have you seen these renderings and why should I believe you? ;)

i'm kinda disappointed now. that just sounds like a grey box. thats not a jewel or a landmark from the sounds of it. but maybe thats just my imagination and it will be a jewel or a landmark if someone could post a rendering...

When you are saying that the building is "green" I assume you mean the building is going to be designed and built according to LEED standards. Do you know at what level they are going to design the building for?

Currently the largest Platnium LEED project in the country is going up in Houston.

Edited by ENGcons

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like it's going to have retail.

Playing off the name of the park, the company's Discovery Tower will have 871,000 square feet of space. A parking garage will be built on an adjacent block to the north.

Designed by Gensler to attain a rating from the U.S. Green Building Council, the project will have retail space on the ground floor and is expected to have a sky bridge connecting it to another building with tunnel access.

Discovery Tower is more interesting than I thought it was going to be. I was all prepared for a standard box design, but at least there is something funky going on at the roof to give this building its own presence. Still, I would love to see another 10 floors added to the height.

i think i like but im not sure because i cant quite tell what it really looks like. so as soon someone has a clearer image i wont be sure... but i do apreciate you channeltwonews for getting the rendering up. i give you mad props for that.

i think i like but im not sure because i cant quite tell what it really looks like. so as soon someone has a clearer image i wont be sure... but i do apreciate you channeltwonews for getting the rendering up. i give you mad props for that.

Another beautiful building like MainPlace. I like to see what it looks like with both towers in the Houston skyline.

Edited by Marty

Like everyone, looks better than I was expecting. Where is the retail? I assume it will be facing the park.

It's too bad a parking garage is being built on one of the blocks caddy-cornering the park. You would think that could turn into a better result once that area gets going.

The thing is, you should look at it as a positive, not only would the parking be available for the stadium(s?) nearby, but could be close enough to use for Valet Parking for the various businesses in the area with the potential (but I doubt) of some ground level businesses. It might be expanded even more like the parking lot close to courthouse.

Either way, I hope they follow Mainspace's lead and put a park on the top level of the garage.

• 1 month later...

Just a random update, I walk across the surface lot that takes up the space that DT is supposed to be built on (the block surrounded by Walker, LaBranch, McKinney and Crawford, IIRC) on a regular basis, and I noticed at least two perfectly circular holes about five or six inches in diameter near the corner of LaBranch and McKinney with markings spray painted on the pavement around them.

I'm guessing these have something to do with soil samples that the builders might be taking. They probably showed up in late August/early September, if memory serves.

Those who know more about the process can chime in as to what these might mean.

• 1 month later...