Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

It doesn't get me too excited. All that means is they're leaving another space behind that will need to be filled.

Way to find the cloud surrounding the silver lining. ;-(

They will be leaving behind 480,000 square feet in Allen Center and occupying approximately 870,000 square feet in the building formerly known as Discovery Tower. 390,000 square foot gain of occupied space for downtown Houston. Pretty exciting stuff, especially in times like these...

This move may reduce the chance for 5 Allen Center to proceed any time soon (because it gives them 480,000 square feet to accommodate Devon's growing needs).

Way to find the cloud surrounding the silver lining. ;-(

They will be leaving behind 480,000 square feet in Allen Center and occupying approximately 870,000 square feet in the building formerly known as Discovery Tower. 390,000 square foot gain of occupied space for downtown Houston. Pretty exciting stuff, especially in times like these...

This move may reduce the chance for 5 Allen Center to proceed any time soon (because it gives them 480,000 square feet to accommodate Devon's growing needs).

Devon might want a larger solid chunk of space than 480k sqft though. Most large firms prefer that, so perhaps there COULD still be hope, ceteris paribus.

Devon might want a larger solid chunk of space than 480k sqft though. Most large firms prefer that, so perhaps there COULD still be hope, ceteris paribus.

I have no idea what kind of growth needs they have, but considering that they currently lease approximately 550K square feet (I think) in Allen Center, an additional 480K would probably tide them over for a while. . .

I guess Allen Center is their (Devon's, not just Hess') E&P base or something, but all other things are not remaining equal with its overall leasing needs and operations growth - Devon is building a 2,000,000 ft^2 building in Oklahoma City.

Edited by strickn

Nancy reports in the Chron this morning that the Hess Tower will actually be shorter than the planned Discovery Tower in order to fit the needs of Hess.

The new tower will rise just 29 floors.

Well, that's just 2 floors shorter than originally proposed, so it's nothing to panic about. I'm sure they'll keep the wind turbines and the original design.

Wow... how awsome is it that they are taking the WHOLE building!!

It is great. What a homerun for TrammelCrow/CBRE, especially for recent and current development markets in Houston. Hope they take more risks asap.

I guess Allen Center is their (Devon's, not just Hess') E&P base or something, but all other things are not remaining equal with its overall leasing needs and operations growth - Devon is building a 2,000,000 ft^2 building in Oklahoma City.

Wow. Any idea where in OKC? That's huge...

i agree it is disappointing to hear about the loss of two floors and Hess Tower just doesnt have a ring to it like Discovery Tower did.

atleast the name Discovery Tower makes you think of positive innovation

Pretty interesting how construction can be altered still at this point of progress. Too bad for architectural reasons but well worth it to entice other completely spec buildings to be built (would presume this development was completely spec) at the current time.

Write to Hess for a name change - a change you can believe in . :)

Wow. Any idea where in OKC? That's huge...

downtown, right across from Myriad Gardens. On the site of the old "galleria" parking garage, if you're familiar with that. (Immediately to the west of the Colcord Hotel.) It's going to be a really beautiful building; 54 stories, 925 feet tall (about 4 feet taller than Williams Tower, I think)

Well, that's just 2 floors shorter than originally proposed, so it's nothing to panic about. I'm sure they'll keep the wind turbines and the original design.

And yet, it's 8 feet taller?

At least it's now only 10 feet shy of the 500' mark, if it matters. :P

482' bumped to 490' or thereabouts.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

And actually only dropped one floor, not two. Ends up taller because they made some of the floor heights taller.

I was just going by post #19 and skyscraperpage.com. At any rate, it will be 29 floors now, but will be taller. It's interesting that they are making (or have made) floors three through seven taller to give better views of the park. This must have been a done deal awhile back, because it looks like those floor are complete. I think it's cool that those higher-ceiling floors will be used for common areas, such as the cafeteria and open work areas. See article on globest.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo I took last night where you can start to see Discovery Tower rising up above the Toyota Center. It's going to be as tall as One Park Place, right? I like how it's going to fill in that gap between One Park Place and the Hilton.

gallery_3613_3_292442.jpg

Edited by Jax

i agree it is disappointing to hear about the loss of two floors and Hess Tower just doesnt have a ring to it like Discovery Tower did.

atleast the name Discovery Tower makes you think of positive innovation

And just think, if it were Discovery Tower, GRB might re-name to Discovery Center...and Hilton Americas might rename itself Hilton Discovery.

And just think, if it were Discovery Tower, GRB might re-name to Discovery Center...and Hilton Americas might rename itself Hilton Discovery.

Ugh. That's the first good argument I've heard for NOT keeping the Discovery Tower name. Do you want people thinking the GRB is some kind of children's museum, or what?

;)

Ground space available for coffee shop type retail. Mezzanine level space available for high end, white table cloth restaurant.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink/Profi...MMoneyCurrency=

This was probably posted before, but a refresher nonetheless for that area of Hess/Discovery Tower

disco.jpg

Edited by citizen4rmptown