Sign in to follow this  
Ethanra

Discovery Tower

moving conversation on downtown lighting to its own thread. this topic is discovery tower specifically. please stay on topic or create a new thread. thanks.

existing thread:

downtown at night

oops, three items are out of place.

Edited by bachanon

My favorite thing about this building is how "reflective" it is... love the cladding... looks great when you are at Discovery Green!

My favorite thing about this building is how "reflective" it is... love the cladding... looks great when you are at Discovery Green!

I like the glass as well. Really looks nice.

I saw the turbines spinning in the wind today. It looked really cool from Midtown. Maybe it doesn't generate a lot of electricity, but it's eye catching and at least it's generating some.

Yes, it does.

Just seeing something like that makes people think, and makes people talk about energy conservations, and plus looks cool and makes that building more than just another glass box. I'm sure that's what the architects had in mind since it was pretty obvious from the start that it wasn't going to be generating a significant amount of power. I think it's different, and I really like it.

Edited by Jax

"The Razor’s 19 KW wind turbines use 5 blades instead of 3 to cut down on noise pollution. The building is expected to generate 50 MWh of electricity a year." CleanTechna.com

It's a start.

"The Razor’s 19 KW wind turbines use 5 blades instead of 3 to cut down on noise pollution. The building is expected to generate 50 MWh of electricity a year." CleanTechna.com

It's a start.

Found this.

WindGenerator_PowerMax2kw_d.jpg

WindGenerator_2kW48V_parts_web.jpg

You too can own a 2 KW wind turbine. Want to match the energy production of Hess Tower? Buy ten! Pay less than $20k. Want to attract attention to your douchey largess? Defeat the purpose by installing them in a boxy framework of steel and glass that's lit up at night (!) and costs millions of dollars.

It's a travesty.

Did he just call me "humanistic sludge"? I think The Niche is in line to take over Musicman's place on HAIF which makes me less inclined to post here as much.

The thing that makes this building interesting is that it isn't just pure aesthetics like a spire, or a lighted top. What makes it interesting is that it is aesthetically interesting and functional. You can think of it as a kinetic sculpture if you want, but it is also a small scale technology demonstration that gives people something to talk about and sets this building apart from the others. I am sure if they hadn't put turbines on top they would have spent money on something purely aesthetic and lit it up anyways.

I hope that someday you live in your nondescript metallic warehouse and your spite for me inspires you to save a lot of energy, but please consider being less condescending while you're at it.

Edited by Jax

Did he just call me "humanistic sludge"? I think The Niche is in line to take over Musicman's place on HAIF which makes me less inclined to post here as much.

The thing that makes this building interesting is that it isn't just pure aesthetics like a spire, or a lighted top. What makes it interesting is that it is aesthetically interesting and functional. You can think of it as a kinetic sculpture if you want, but it is also a small scale technology demonstration that gives people something to talk about and sets this building apart from the others. I am sure if they hadn't put turbines on top they would have spent money on something purely aesthetic and lit it up anyways.

I hope that someday you live in your nondescript metallic warehouse and your spite for me inspires you to save a lot of energy, but please consider being less condescending while you're at it.

Don't stop posting. Nobody cares what Niche thinks. If it wasn't for people like you, posting current photos of Houston on a regular basis , this website would be nothing but a bunch of know-nothing-know-it-alls typing useless gibberish and insignificant opinions all day. Don't take Niche's comments too seriously - I assure you no one else does. A photo is worth a thousand words. Anonymous internet opinions are worthless (except for mine, of coarse). Jax is a useful contributor to this website. Niche is not.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 6

The turbines promote stupidity. There are no doubt some people who think that they actually make a difference.

• Like 1

I can't wait till they declare the turbines "job" as done and eventually abort the top of this building in some heavy handed haircut job. That's Houston architecture. LOL @ building crowns as PR, seems like a narrow tightrope to walk.

Jax- I appreciate your photos and comments on this forum. You bring an interesting perspective since you're not from Texas or the USA.

No sure why The Niche seems to have it out for you but he certainly does follow your posts with petty attacks.

It seems pretty stupid to talk about "aesthetic waste" on an architectural forum. Seems like all architectural elements worth talking about have some form of "aesthetic waste."

I must say that The Niche's constant antagonism makes me less inclined to post on this site...

DT turned out better than I expected. Makes a nice impression from the park... it looks modern and the turbines do add an aesthetic flare.

Too bad I can't say the same thing for the ugly and uninteresting Embassy Suites...

True, the Embassy Suites is a fugly building. They totally turned their back on the park. Heck, even that stupid light tower thingie doesn't even face the park; instead they aimed it for "freeway presence."

I saw them spinning once, it was definitely very cool looking. I like this building a lot.

I saw the turbines spinning in the wind today. It looked really cool from Midtown. Maybe it doesn't generate a lot of electricity, but it's eye catching and at least it's generating some.

I am now prepared to concede the the top is interesting. I've only seen it in action once--tonight--and it was enough to draw my highly-intoxicated eyes off of the stripes on the road and induce swerving in my lane.

• Like 1

There's nothing aesthetically wrong with them and I don't see where TheNiche ever said there was. They are technically dumb. It's a very bad spot for wind turbines to be placed and the money to put them there could have been used to build a more efficient power source somewhere else. The gullible and naive may think that they are something more than a publicity stunt and decoration. The last thing we need is for people to become more ignorant about energy production.

There's nothing aesthetically wrong with them and I don't see where TheNiche ever said there was. They are technically dumb. It's a very bad spot for wind turbines to be placed and the money to put them there could have been used to build a more efficient power source somewhere else. The gullible and naive may think that they are something more than a publicity stunt and decoration. The last thing we need is for people to become more ignorant about energy production.

Edify us.

They could've created a foundation to buy poor people 400-watt residential turbines and that would've been a far more economical approach to being 'green', meaning that they could have simply saved money on the same effect or made the effect larger.

Either way, yeah. "Technically dumb."

Does anybody know how much more it cost to integrate turbines into the roof rather than just building a lighted crown or some other conventional aesthetic feature like that and then placing the turbines at ground level? I don't think placing them in back yards really makes sense unless you're going to elevate them higher than the surrounding structures though so that would add to the cost of doing it that way. The only problem is that would reduce the impact of the building, and don't forget that we're living in a capitalist society where corporations always want their buildings to stand out. I'd much rather see a building that stands out by doing something different than just another lighted crown, even if the utility of it isn't as good as I would like.

I'd rather see a skyscraper that generates all of it's power off the grid but that's not going to happen. I'm pretty happy that we ended up with something unconventional. And I like the fact that it makes people talk about using wind power.

Edited by Jax

They could've created a foundation to buy poor people 400-watt residential turbines and that would've been a far more economical approach to being 'green', meaning that they could have simply saved money on the same effect or made the effect larger.

Ahh...the usual HAIF move from "I love this building!" to picking it apart. I had the over/under at 20 pages for this thread, so I guess I lost my bet. :lol:

Since when is Tramell Crow in the 'business' of helping poor people? If you think about it, it was a pretty smart move. I mean, the entire building is leased out to an energy company that is primarily oil and gas. I wonder if Hines is kicking theirselves for not making the jaws on the monkey wrench building not open and close by the forces of nature.

I can see the turbines from where I sit and they don't appear to be spinning today. I have noticed before, though, that they are more noticeable when the air is thick with humidity or if it's even raining. I looks similar to a mirage, etc. If you stare at them too long, I believe that they have a hypnotizing effect. :wacko:

yes, sweet bike! i just got a new one speed bike for cruising but i've been traveling so much i haven't had a chance to ride it... gonna hit the heights trail...

You can see Disco Tower pretty well in this photo.

4918449991_f1e228c656_b.jpg

I concur! Let's all collectively ignore Niche & his useless babble...,

To ignore a user, click on the drop-down menu at the top right of any HAIF page. Select My Settings > Profile > Manage Ignored Users.

Took a short vid.

Sorry about the quality, but not bad for a Camera. :)

th_P1020504.jpg

Edited by ricco67

Thanks for the update Jax.

All three of downtown's new residents are looking good in that picture.

I know someone who works for Hess downtown and he said they'll start moving in at the beginning of 2011. We'll see how Discovery Green activity picks up when they do.

forgive, if this was mentioned earlier in the thread:

does anyone know if/what retail will be on the ground level?

• Like 1

In the future someone, not us!, will see a lot of buildings with Fan generated electricity. Things just may be so bad in available energy there won't be any choice but to use what you brought, and who knows in the future people may have to drastically cut back their use of electricity and the entire face of every city will not be lit as we now see it. Candle making may make a big come back, unless someone invents electricity.

In the future someone, not us!, will see a lot of buildings with Fan generated electricity. Things just may be so bad in available energy there won't be any choice but to use what you brought, and who knows in the future people may have to drastically cut back their use of electricity and the entire face of every city will not be lit as we now see it. Candle making may make a big come back, unless someone invents electricity.

Or hopefully, it will just make economic sense to make more buildings more energy efficient and new developments will incorporate more designs like this.

forgive, if this was mentioned earlier in the thread:

does anyone know if/what retail will be on the ground level?

No ground floor retail is what I've been told. I always thought that would be a good place for a patio pub, but not gonna happen.

I thought there was going to be a ground floor restaurant at least...

No ground floor retail is what I've been told. I always thought that would be a good place for a patio pub, but not gonna happen.

how whack is that? no retail, restaurant, nothing?

I don't get it, this is a perfect opportunity to do something great. That location is prime for some ground retail or restaurant development. Right across the street from the Park! Why can't these companys do that in downtown Houston?

I thought the addition of ground level retail was part of getting a good LEED rating.

Denmark is leading the way in Turbine Powered Electricity Generation, they now have about 40 to 45 percent of their total electrical generation made from Turbines. South of El Paso about a hundred miles there are thousands of these generators erected along I10. When I drove to Nevada in 94 there were none, in 2005 I came back to Houston and was amazed when I saw these things at just early daylight in a light rain, they all had red beacons on top and the first thing that came to mind was Martians :P

This is Copenhagen Harbor, I animated it myself, kinda makes ya want to take a swim don't it... :)

2f04y6s.gif

Driving past downtown about an hour ago, I noticed that they had turned off the lights on the tower. It's amazing how quickly you get used to something new in the skyline that it's immediately missed.

Back to the ground floor retail issue, I heard the original plan was to lease out the ground floor as retail but then Hess leased out the whole building and they will now sublet the ground floor to retail of their choosing, when they choose to. Doubt there will be retail upon opening this summer, but hopefully sooner rather than later. My hopes for a nice pub/restaurant on that corner are not entirely dashed yet.

Drove through downtown, I looked up and noticed that the turbines were gone! That explains why the lights were off.

Anyone know the story?

Photo Proof:

P1000032.jpg