Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

Here's some good news out of the HBJ... Hess Corp is looking for 800,000 square feet. That's up from the 480,000 they currently occupy downtown. Sources point to Hess leasing the entire 871,000 square foot Discovery Tower project to claim all the parking.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../20/story1.html

If you don't get the full article, the other good news is about Brookfield. It is stated that Devon Energy is the likely tenant for Brookfield's 5 Allen Center proposal meaning that one is still very likely. However, it also stated that the floor plates offered at 1500 Smith St by Brookfield were too small to meet Hess' needs. I guess 1500 Smith St is still being talked about?

Here's some good news out of the HBJ... Hess Corp is looking for 800,000 square feet. That's up from the 480,000 they currently occupy downtown. Sources point to Hess leasing the entire 871,000 square foot Discovery Tower project to claim all the parking.

Wow that would be awsome... taking over an entire tower! Guess we will have to build yet another tower Downtown. :D

"Discovery Tower is designed to have 871,000 square feet of space upon completion. Hess is said to be considering leasing the extra 71,000 square feet to keep anyone else from taking space in the building being developed by Trammell Crow Co. next to Discovery Green park."

This line made me chuckle... ha ha... it's like... "This is OUR tower and you can't come in! :P ". :lol:

^^^^ All great news, but with this topsy turvy economy right now, will those projects be delayed or even scrapped?

m.

If there is demand for space they will want to build... securing financing would be the only tricky part w/ the way the economy is now.

If you don't get the full article, the other good news is about Brookfield. It is stated that Devon Energy is the likely tenant for Brookfield's 5 Allen Center proposal meaning that one is still very likely. However, it also stated that the floor plates offered at 1500 Smith St by Brookfield were too small to meet Hess' needs. I guess 1500 Smith St is still being talked about?

damn, that is big news.

and i should've already known that.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

This building is really starting to rise. It's hard to tell because I can't see the bottom, but I would estimate that they are on the 4th above-ground floor. It's going to be cool to see it eclipse 5 Houston Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they're starting to dig up the parking lot for the garage that will be connected across Walker Street.

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02315.jpg

Along the promenade at Discovery Greeen, there are a series of infomational displays detailing the amount of green building and projects around the area including one dedicated solely to the building.

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02324.jpg

DSC02325.jpg

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

Thanks for the images and update!

I'm excited about this building in particular, primarily due to its wind turbines and LEED Certification. The reason why I'm excited is the Houston image... so many time in movies, documentaries and magazines in the past the image of Houston always sat behind a layer of smog... I'm hoping the new image will be a Houston sporting clean air and skyline images with Discovery Tower in view.

Thanks very much for the pictures.

This tower is going to look awesome from Discovery Green. It's really going to change the feel in the park to have this thing towering over the park. OPP was a great start, but Discovery Tower is really going to change how this park feels.

Discovery Green, One Park Place, and Discovery Tower are all great additions to the City of Houston.

I agree with you guys! To me this is more exciting than the average construction project due to all of the green technology being used. I just love that stuff. It will be a great example of how all of these technologies can be incorporated into future construction projects. All of the new buildings at Rice are going to be LEED certified as well.

I agree with you guys! To me this is more exciting than the average construction project due to all of the green technology being used. I just love that stuff. It will be a great example of how all of these technologies can be incorporated into future construction projects. All of the new buildings at Rice are going to be LEED certified as well.

It seems as though most major buildings these days are LEED Certified. MainPlace is also to be LEED certified. A number of TMC buildings have been/are planning to be...

I'd heard that they were going to freeze the lake for ice skating, when what it looks like they're going to make the rink in the area where the kids play in the water that shoots out of the ground.

No, the fountain you are referring to is the Gateway Fountain and is to the north of the Alkek Building (the smaller building to the west). As you can see in the photos, the ice rink is going immediately to the north of the Lake House (the larger building, to the east) and is on the part of the lake that is designated as the "model boat basin".

I'd heard that they were going to freeze the lake for ice skating, when what it looks like they're going to make the rink in the area where the kids play in the water that shoots out of the ground.

No, the water fountains the kids play in are across from the rink... the rink is in an area that was part of the lake... they drained it and have now installed the rink.

I wonder if there are any film crews covering this construction for say an episode of Modern Marvels perhaps? I remember seeing one picture of the construction and there was someone holding a TV camera.

Is this the first building to feature Wind Turbines on top or have there already been others?