Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

sorry for asking, but has anybody taken recent,and i mean, RECENT pictures of this

I would like to see if it has gotten above ground yet ;)

not yet, I drove by 5 or 6 days ago. It'll probably be a few more weeks at least before it has an elevation.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a shot of activity in the pit from a few days ago. They're filling in the perimiter wall for the parking garage.

DSC00464.jpg

They've also started placing large advertisements on several sides of the site featuring sizeable versions of the renderings shown previously.

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The website has been updated with a "Virtual Tour" video and a number of new renderings.

Among a few of the unseen...

These feature the Embassy Suites, second Convention Center Hotel and some of the proposed residential & hotel developments mentioned in the past

aerial_northcam.jpg

aerial_southcam.jpg

Niiiiice :) I wonder if the renderings of the other buildings are very accurate. Probably not, but they look to be the gist of the plans.

I like this video better than MainPlace's too.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=261650

Edited by lockmat

they should have put the parking garage where I circled in red and then where it is (circled in purple) could be for a building with the park view

the lot in red is way down in value now compared to the one circled in purple

also how can a building go where I colored in blue when there is already a large power/utility building there currently?

and a bit off subject, but does that utility plant need to be next to the Hilton Americas?

post-5819-1220434417_thumb.jpg

they should have put the parking garage where I circled in red and then where it is (circled in purple) could be for a building with the park view

the lot in red is way down in value now compared to the one circled in purple

also how can a building go where I colored in blue when there is already a large power/utility building there currently?

and a bit off subject, but does that utility plant need to be next to the Hilton Americas?

Look at your photo carefully and you will see the parking garage does not take up the whole block. Then if you look at the other photos you can see that there is some "plan" to place a residential tower on that parcel of land (the only portion of the block that would have any view of Discovery Green).

I suspect the "building" shown where you colored blue is just a representation of the power/utility building.

As to the utility plant next to the Hilton Americas "needs" to be there because it was there for years before the Hilton Americas was built. It would be very expensive to relocate. I agree it is an unfortunate location. Eventually, I would imagine, as we get rid of all of the blocks of surface parking, downtown land will be valuable enough to make it worth the expense of relocating the electric substation.

Those renderings are pretty cool. Although I would like to see the Embassy Suites building be a little more substantial.

Too bad the credit crisis will prevent everything other than DT from getting off the ground for at least a few years. Unless those foreign investors step in... or maybe the City of Houston can make the second convention hotel happen if the Hilton Americas sells for $380 million.

I would love to see the convention hotel go with a design that is dramatic and modern.

Those renderings are pretty cool. Although I would like to see the Embassy Suites building be a little more substantial.

Too bad the credit crisis will prevent everything other than DT from getting off the ground for at least a few years. Unless those foreign investors step in... or maybe the City of Houston can make the second convention hotel happen if the Hilton Americas sells for $380 million.

I would love to see the convention hotel go with a design that is dramatic and modern.

Very nice renderings. I'm exited to see this side of DT coming alive.

How delayed do you all think this and MainPlace will be due to the flooding?

m. B)

Nil.

They were already back to work at the DT site at the time you were posting the message. Was actually at the fence around 10:30-11 ish that morning watching them ramp things back up. The water had been pumped out and the site was relatively dry.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews