Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

I don't think not having a skywalk is a big deal, it just means that they have to hit a different elevator button and walk an extra 100 feet (or so) to get across the street.

But I have to admit, it would be nice if they included that.

Any broker in town will tell you that a building not on the tunnel system is not Class A, and therefore, Class A tenants will not sign leases in the building until it is Class A. For years, the Heritage building (yes, it was a recession, but there was another equally large factor at play) was empty partly due to not having any tunnel access.

I don't think not having a skywalk is a big deal, it just means that they have to hit a different elevator button and walk an extra 100 feet (or so) to get across the street.

But I have to admit, it would be nice if they included that.

The tunnel system isn't a factor in the Houston Center area. I work in One HC, and the skywalks are nice to be able to walk over to the Park shops to eat or shop, and to the parking garages, but if Discovery Tower has a skywalk to their parking garage, then all people would need to do is walk to 5 HC to get into the skywalks to make it over to the Park shops. Not that big of a deal, in my opinion. Plus Discovery tower will have retail, so maybe there will be some dining options right there in the building without having to leave

I'm in the Market Square & Theater district. Even though Calpine has tunnel access, I use the street level unless its freezing or pouring. And, hell, if I worked right by that park, I'd be out there every day. It's awesome! Good point about the Class A issue.

Why can't Houston get a 1,000 footer or a 1,500 footer like Philly (the 1500 footer was recently announced). Instead, our Downtown gets thirty-story towers. Up the ante a bit and put in some fifty-story towers.

Why can't Houston get a 1,000 footer or a 1,500 footer like Philly (the 1500 footer was recently announced). Instead, our Downtown gets thirty-story towers. Up the ante a bit and put in some fifty-story towers.

Honestly, I would rather see 5 20 story buildings built downtown as part of a 'neighborhood' instead of 1 100 story building built in isolation. Wasn't the late 70's and early 80's about building these tall grand skyscrapers that added nothing at the street level?

I'm so glad Houston has matured past this type of thinking and is actually now more concerned with building a city. Let cities like Dubai chase their tails.

Honestly, I would rather see 5 20 story buildings built downtown as part of a 'neighborhood' instead of 1 100 story building built in isolation. Wasn't the late 70's and early 80's about building these tall grand skyscrapers that added nothing at the street level?

I'm so glad Houston has matured past this type of thinking and is actually now more concerned with building a city. Let cities like Dubai chase their tails.

I agree... but at the same time it would be nice to have a skyline-defining, modern supertall on the east side.

Here is Philly's: http://www.acctower.com/

You haven't seen where Philly's tower is:

American Commerce Center

"This Changes Everything"

Height: Office Tower-1500'/452m Spire l 1210' Roof l 63 Stories l Hotel-473'/144m

Usage: Mixed-Office/Hotel

Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox (http://www.kpf.com/)

Developer: Walnut Street Capital (http://www.walnutstcapital.com/)

Groundbreaking: Summer 09'?

Features:

• 1500' Spire
  • 26 Story Hotel
  • 2 Roof Gardens (473' and 6th Floor Accessable)
  • 3-6 Stories of Ground Floor Retail
  • Underground Parking (Dedicated Bicycle Parking)
  • LEED Certified

Images

acc3.jpg

acc5.jpg

ACC1.jpg

acc4.jpg

The thing includes a hotel and will only be 63-stories.

And seriously, if anyone who says the US has moved past supertalls, they obviously haven't seen what has been proposed/under construction in Chicago, New York, Philly, Miami, Las Vegas, and San Francisco.

Edited by Trae

Well the Gateway tract on the west side is supposed to be around 50 stories, I think. The ones most likely to build a supertall in Houston are the energy/oil companies, but with gas prices the way they are, apparently they don't want to flaunt their wealth with supertall trophy buildings. I'm torn, I'd really love to see a supertall in Houston, but I don't know if want it to be at the expense of getting to lose more surface parking lots on the east side. For right now, it seems either a supertall, or building smaller buildings on parking lots on the east side, but not both.

Eh. Spires don't count Trae. I consider top to be roof of top leasable floor. 1200' is OK, and good for Philly which is far more developed than Houston, but here I'd rather have 4x300' before 1x1200.

My new place (moving in mid april) has a peek at the skyline, and yeah, it'd be nice to have a couple extra points, but I'd rather downtown/midtown become more desirable as mixed use neighborhoods with all surface parking completely filled in.

2291994816_6166feb71b_m.jpg

Edited by woolie

It took Philly forever to build structures this tall. Philly's skyline has been short for some time now until recently. It's honestly about time Philly started to build structuers this tall. Philly was patient and Houston will have to be as well and it looks like they are. You don't need to build supertalls for nothing.

It took Philly forever to build structures this tall. Philly's skyline has been short for some time now until recently. It's honestly about time Philly started to build structuers this tall. Philly was patient and Houston will have to be as well and it looks like they are. You don't need to build supertalls for nothing.

Not only that, but it would appear there is a VERY good chance this tower will never be built. Anything announced now with a projected ground-breaking of "Summer '09", followed by a question mark, appears to be less than a certainty.

I believe the reason Philly has such a short skyline is because they had a law on the books disallowing any buildings to vertically exceed the height of the William Penn Statue on the city hall building. By the time they changed that, many of the major corporations had relocated when skyscrapers took off in the 70's.

I believe the reason Philly has such a short skyline is because they had a law on the books disallowing any buildings to vertically exceed the height of the William Penn Statue on the city hall building. By the time they changed that, many of the major corporations had relocated when skyscrapers took off in the 70's.

That is correct. I used to live in Philly before I moved to Houston.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
what do you mean by lakeside? Isn't that the La Quinta spot?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking! I noticed there's a big hole in the ground there this past weekend at the art car party that I somehow missed the first time I went, in my excitement, I guess. :P

The same side as the lake. Lemme see... Checking the map, I guess this would be on McKinney and LaBranch, not Austin. Whatever it is it looks to be taking up an entire city block, or more.