Mod front door

Shin'enKan

I just wanted to show off my latest home improvement project.

I finally changed our front door and gave it a MCM paint color. However, now that I've improved the front door, I need to replace the mailbox, doorbell, entry rug, etc., etc.

Oh, and if anyone can recommend a metal fabricator, I need a new escutcheon for the door knob. I have a replacement (many thanks to Russell and his intrepid estate sale shopping) but it doesn't work with the knob I purchased.

Before: BORING!!!

IMG_0460.jpg

After: the color is more green than the pics show

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Door hardware detail:

IMG_0468.jpg

So you installed a new door when you could've just painted the old one, removed the kickplate, and changed out the hardware? Am I missing something?

The previous door was hollow core, and with the beltway nearby there was a LOT of noise coming thru the door alone, besides the security issue one swift kick could cause. So now we have a very quiet (and safer) house. So it was well worth it.

The previous door was hollow core, and with the beltway nearby there was a LOT of noise coming thru the door alone, besides the security issue one swift kick could cause. So now we have a very quiet (and safer) house. So it was well worth it.

Do MCM doors typically have glass inlays? Good job on the color!

What a great choice of color. It contrasts beautifully with the brick, and seems very period-appropriate.

I notice that the old door had a peephole, and the new one does not. Certainly, it creates a sleeker surface - is there an alternative way you can preview guests?

Do MCM doors typically have glass inlays? Good job on the color!

By glass inlay, I'm assuming you're talking about little windows, and not glass inlaid into the wood in the woodworking sense of the word.

My house has its original mid century door, and it does have two rectangular windows (about 5"x7") in a stairstep pattern right at eye level. Other houses in the 'hood have 3 windows in the same pattern. I've also seen mid century doors with a single diamond window at right about eye level.

Most excellent change, Allison. I love it, as I love the rest of your house.

Not sure if you've noticed but we just painted the exterior of ours. A very dark flat brown ("scortched earth" or something like that) which looks good against our light brick (and mimicks the original color of the house much better than the previous tan color). We really haven't done much else since you were over last.

Lowbrow - we walked past your house last week and noticed the new trim - it looks much much better.

Dig the new door and the new color - did I miss that driving by this morning? I'll look again...

Our new door is in - now we just need to paint it. It is a full light door with reed glass. It's going to end up orange when its all said and done. If you see our stoop before we paint the door and the trim, you can see the old trim color of our house - bright teal... it was like that on the windows, the fascia, etc. with tan brick. Looked totally different.

Speaking of the color, we are fans, what paint did you end up using? Is it from the Sherman Williams line or something else?

I chose Pratt & Lambert's "Tampico".

Lowbrow and Texasdago-

I'll have to walk by and see the progress. And don't be surprised if the "little one" rings your doorbell. It's one of his favorite activities now! :blush:

Yeah, another Home Cheapo glass and brass monstrosity bites the dust!

How are you liking the new reed glass? I put it in our new kitchen door and I love the privacy it offers. Of course, anything's better than getting a view of our refrigerator when someone walks up.

• 2 weeks later...
I chose Pratt & Lambert's "Tampico".

Lowbrow and Texasdago-

I'll have to walk by and see the progress. And don't be surprised if the "little one" rings your doorbell. It's one of his favorite activities now! :blush:

What is the color code for your woodwork/trims? I like the greyish look. I'm in the process of repainting myself.

What is the color code for your woodwork/trims? I like the greyish look. I'm in the process of repainting myself.

Light trim color:

Glidden "Toasty Grey" 30YY 51/098

Dark trim color:

Pittsburgh Paints "Stoney Fields" 416-6

Archived