Meyerland/Willowbend/Westbury Real Estate

slck2

While I'm at it I might as well toss in my opinion about Fry's. Like any other store, including the evil Wal-Mart, they are not and will never be the cheapest on everything they sell. But as another poster mentioned, part of being a shop smarter is recognizing when you're getting a good deal and when you're being taken to the cleaners.

I've only been in the North Freeway Fry's about four or five times since it opened. Every time I've gone there to get computer parts that no Best Buy or Circuit City stocks. I've always been pleased with the store's service and enormous selection of computer components. And every time I've made a purchase, I've waited in a fairly long line (which fortunately moved quickly due to the large number of cashiers working), so people are making a lot of purchases there. I think if the North Freeway store was doing poorly after over three years in the Houston market that they would have just opened two new stores here. If they weren't making money they would have probably closed shop and left Houston already.

That said, I do question the location of the Southwest Freeway store. I do so only based on the history of the retail establishments in that section of the freeway, which have historically had a high turnover rate. However, that seems to have stabilized somehwat since the Fountains opened on the opposite side of the freeway a few years ago. I'm not saying that Fry's is in a bad location, but I do think there areĀ  locations along the Southwest Freeway outside the beltway that are somewhat better.

As for Sugar Land people not driving north, that is a legitimate issue. I've know some people that lived in Sugar Land who acted like there was nothing on the Southwest Freeway north of US 90A worth going to. However Fry's is a destination type of store. It's not like Circuit City or Best Buy which will build 15-20 stores in a Metro area. Fry's usually only has a handful of stores in the markets they enter, and those stores usually draw people from miles around. My sister in League City and some of her engineer friends were thrilled they got a Fry's down there because they had been making the long trip all the way up 45 to the North Freeway store. So while I don't think the Southwest Freeway Fry's is in absolutely the best place along that freeway, it's probably going to do fine given that there are probably a lot of people within a 15 minute drive of it who've been driving a long way to go to the existing store on 45.

Well said! This is what I had in mind too. While I think that there could be better locations for Fry's store as in a nicer area, I do not think that potential customers avoid it just because of its current location. I say this simply because those customers simply do not have a better choice. Fry's is unlike Best Buy/Circuit City due its large selection of merchandise. Now if there were another Fry's store in Sugarland, then most residents of Sugarland would surely prefer that one. I think Fry's chose its current location simply because of higher exposure and accessibility (close to two freeways and central location in SW Houston to draw customers of all kinds, rich AND poor).

However, I also think that people who live in nicer areas generally do have a tendency to avoid shopping or going into areas with questionable reputation. However, they have that option only with regards to places like Kroger/Randall, Barnes & Nobles, Best Buy, and Starbucks etc because of increased availability of those businesses.

As for a specialty store like Fry's on SW freeway, people from Sugarland would still go there because there are only a few of them, it is located right on the feeder road and people go there strictly for business (better prices, larger selection) and not for shopping experience/hanging out (as in a mall or restaurant).

• 1 month later...

With all of this discussion about inner Southwest Houston, and particularly Sharpstown Center mall, I find it surprising that nobody has mentioned the actual Sharpstown neighborhood. I just happen to live in Sharpstown, Section One, the original subdivision from 1955 and the very first component of the overall Sharpstown master plan to be constructed. This neighborhood served as a model for most of the future growth of the Houston area.

Few today may realize this, but Sharpstown was the first master planned community in Houston, if not the nation. The amount of media attention the development received when ground first broke is almost astounding. National media and dignitaries from Washington all converged on the pasture that would become Sharpstown. Dedication ceremonies were covered in newspapers across the country, including several write-ups in the New York Times. Houston's fledgling TV stations all devoted their day's programming to the opening of the development. Developers had built large-scale suburban subdivisions before, most famously at the many Levittowns in the northeast, but nobody had ever attempted a master-planned community like Sharpstown, which included schools, churches, shopping, parks, country clubs, etc.

This neighborhood is obviously much richer in history than anyone wants to admit. Beyond being the first (or one of the first, at least) master plan community, there are other details that add to its history. The land was originally owned by a famous wildcatter (whose name fails me) whom the movie "Giant" was based upon. Construction of the infrastructure was overseen by the firm that would eventually become Kellogg, Brown and Root, which has been in the news regarding Iraq recently. The original Mercury 7 astronauts were offered homes in Sharpstown, which led to a scandal. Speaking of scandals, one of the most famous scandals in Texas government was centered around Sharpstown State Bank.

The list of significant events in the history of Sharpstown goes on and on. Ironically, Houston has largely turned its back on this incredible neighborhood. Staring down one of its streets takes you right back to the 1950s. The style, uniqueness and character of the homes is something you never see in production housing today. Beyond that, the construction standards by which these homes were built is also hard to come by today: wood floors throughout, fully tiled bathrooms and kitchens, solid framing. They're great houses, and I should know.

It's too bad that the developers allowed this neighborhood to cannibalize itself by building enormous apartment complexes on the periphery that quickly became slums. The fact remains, though, that this is a wonderful, cute, unique neighborhood that I could go on and on for hours about, but this post has to end sometime, right?

You said it even better than I could. I like that term: "ring rot"

Glen

My bass player lives in Willowbend and I'm there at least three times a week. I can tell you that the entire neighborhood on both sides of Willowbend have been totally revitalized. He bought his home ten years ago for 60,000.00 and just got it appraised at 120,000.00. He's going to sit on it a while as the appraisal district told him it would do nothing but escalate in value. Of course that means higher taxes.

The wierd thing is that just a couple of blocks away (South Post Oak) is litteraly slum.

With all of this discussion about inner Southwest Houston, and particularly Sharpstown Center mall, I find it surprising that nobody has mentioned the actual Sharpstown neighborhood.Ā  I just happen to live in Sharpstown, Section One, the original subdivision from 1955 and the very first component of the overall Sharpstown master plan to be constructed.Ā  This neighborhood served as a model for most of the future growth of the Houston area.

Few today may realize this, but Sharpstown was the first master planned community in Houston, if not the nation.Ā  The amount of media attention the development received when ground first broke is almost astounding.Ā  National media and dignitaries from Washington all converged on the pasture that would become Sharpstown.Ā  Dedication ceremonies were covered in newspapers across the country, including several write-ups in the New York Times.Ā  Houston's fledgling TV stations all devoted their day's programming to the opening of the development.Ā  Developers had built large-scale suburban subdivisions before, most famously at the many Levittowns in the northeast, but nobody had ever attempted a master-planned community like Sharpstown, which included schools, churches, shopping, parks, country clubs, etc.

This neighborhood is obviously much richer in history than anyone wants to admit.Ā  Beyond being the first (or one of the first, at least) master plan community, there are other details that add to its history.Ā  The land was originally owned by a famous wildcatter (whose name fails me) whom the movie "Giant" was based upon.Ā  Construction of the infrastructure was overseen by the firm that would eventually become Kellogg, Brown and Root, which has been in the news regarding Iraq recently.Ā  The original Mercury 7 astronauts were offered homes in Sharpstown, which led to a scandal.Ā  Speaking of scandals, one of the most famous scandals in Texas government was centered around Sharpstown State Bank.

The list of significant events in the history of Sharpstown goes on and on.Ā  Ironically, Houston has largely turned its back on this incredible neighborhood.Ā  Staring down one of its streets takes you right back to the 1950s.Ā  The style, uniqueness and character of the homes is something you never see in production housing today.Ā  Beyond that, the construction standards by which these homes were built is also hard to come by today: wood floors throughout, fully tiled bathrooms and kitchens, solid framing.Ā  They're great houses, and I should know.

It's too bad that the developers allowed this neighborhood to cannibalize itself by building enormous apartment complexes on the periphery that quickly became slums.Ā  The fact remains, though, that this is a wonderful, cute, unique neighborhood that I could go on and on for hours about, but this post has to end sometime, right?

We should talk.

I was just being glib.....but since you ask, the 'master' plan for the city (it was self reliant when incorporated) included all police, fire, schools, retail, and an industrial base. Many of the facilities are in use today (e.g. the retail shops on 19th, the waterworks, and the fire house/jail which is owned by the Heights Assoc.). Some of the old industrial buildings are being converted to lofts.

This is way off topic so I won't expound further. For those interested, an excerpt from a book about the history of the Heights can be found at: http://www.houstonheightsonline.com/history.asp.

• 2 weeks later...
LarryDallas - yes yes yes yes yes yes. Everything you said: YES.

As for me personally, I don't think I'll ever move inside the loop (unless the Lottery decides to pick my numbers!) because I've fallen in love with Tanglewood. sure there are some Mcmansions, but overall the neighborhood is everything my wife and I didn't have growing up. And if we never even make it there, I know we'll be able to get into Briargrove Park, Memorial City, or even Briargrove, so I'm not that worried about it. I just love this area (San Felipe & Westhiemer from 610 to BW8).

27, where do you live now. I grew up in Briarmedow and then we moved to Briargrove Park from 7th grade until I left for college. My mother still lives in the neighborhood and has really loves it. It amazes me that I am pretty much priced out of that neighborhood right now.

I looked through Meyerland, Maplewood, Marilyn Estates this weekend and we are very interested in that area. I would hope this area will continue to appreciate.

Like you I think Briargrove is awesome. I like to call it Tanglewood Lite. I would love to get in there. I compared some prices on similar houses in Briargrove vs. Meyerland vs. Briargrove Park and In general the same house would be $450-$400 (briargrove) $350-$300 in Briargrove park and $275 - $300 in the Meyerland area. Since I work the Galleria all three would be great places to live, but I think the Meyerland area is winning out because we can afford more house there.

27, do you get any kind of special break when buying a home because you're a firefighter? I remember HUD had a program for policemen and teachers that helped them get into neighborhoods that they might otherwise be priced out of. Does this apply to you also? Just curious, I'm sure you've already checked it out.

Where is Briarmeadow. I know that I know where its at - I'm just drawing a blank. :huh: As for being priced out of neighborhoods, doesn't it just disgust you? I wish there was some sort of application process by which personality, and not paycheck could get you into some of these neighborhoods!

Briarmedow is the small neighborhood betweem between Hillcroft and Dunvale from just South of Westhiemer to almost Westpark. It is still a pretty nice area, but the surrounding areas are tough. A good friend of mine lived there with his wife and child for about 3 years. Once they were robbed they got sorta freaked out and moved away.

DOH! Of course I know where thats at! :wacko: Stoneybrook runs right down the middle of it. Well, I'd have to say no to Briarmeadow as the schools for that neighborhood look a little too rough for my taste.

The schools are pretty rough around Briarmeadow, but that is HISD in general. I am not sure you are going to get much better schools if you lived in Briargrove Park. I am pretty sure BGP is zoned to Walnut Bend Elementary, Revere Middle School and I guess Westide High (used to be Lee HS). I know nothing about Westside High but the other two are not the greatest schools.

I guess I need to get some more money to send those yet unborn kids to private school.

BTW, growing up Revere was a pretty good school. Lee was just turning the corner. My parents chose to send me to Private School, but my older sister went to both those schools and loved them. (She graduated in 87 so that was almost 20 years ago).

• 1 month later...

I find it amazing how quickly neighborhoods in Houston turn "rough." Granted, this is the largest city I've ever lived in, but everywhere else I've lived (Pensacola/Gainesville/Tallahassee, Florida - all cities of a couple hundred thousand) neighborhoods like Briarmeadow, Sharpstown, Riverside Terrace, and countless other Houston neighborhoods that "should" be nice really would still be nice. Wow, sorry for that run-on sentence. Either way, it blows my mind. I guess we can blame the rapid turnover of these neighborhoods on the abundance of flat, cheap land in the metro area; there's always a newer house to be had for not much more money. Or maybe it's the lack of zoning. Still, I think it is ridiculous the level to which people treat houses and neighborhoods in Houston as disposable. Some neighborhoods that people around here would never even consider would be running $500,000 in L.A. or D.C. these days.

Count on us to be behind the curve though, right?

I find it amazing how quickly neighborhoods in Houston turn "rough."Ā  Granted, this is the largest city I've ever lived in, but everywhere else I've lived (Pensacola/Gainesville/Tallahassee, Florida - all cities of a couple hundred thousand) neighborhoods like Briarmeadow, Sharpstown, Riverside Terrace, and countless other Houston neighborhoods that "should" be nice really would still be nice.Ā  Wow, sorry for that run-on sentence.Ā  Either way, it blows my mind.Ā  I guess we can blame the rapid turnover of these neighborhoods on the abundance of flat, cheap land in the metro area; there's always a newer house to be had for not much more money.Ā  Or maybe it's the lack of zoning.Ā  Still, I think it is ridiculous the level to which people treat houses and neighborhoods in Houston as disposable.Ā  Some neighborhoods that people around here would never even consider would be running $500,000 in L.A. or D.C. these days.

Count on us to be behind the curve though, right?

The status of some of these neighborhoods is kind of like the weather, if you don't like it, just wait a little while it will change.

• 1 month later...

Replying to myself...

Well, I found the har listing on this house, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find some of the same built in features that my house has, mainly the drawers that I'm so fond of. Seeing them makes me wonder if there was a Jenkins connection. There are some good shots in the har webpage, but I still want an open house, ha ha!

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

Of the 3 modern style homes on Braeswood, this has to be the best, and judging by the prices in the area, it's a good buy.

Jason

PS - funny that I would frantically call you today when I saw this house with the for sale sign in the front, only to discover you have known about it for several days now - you definitely have your finger on the pulse of Houston modern real estate!

• 2 weeks later...
I am pretty sure BGP is zoned to Walnut Bend Elementary, Revere Middle School and I guess Westide High (used to be Lee HS).Ā  I know nothing about Westside High but the other two are not the greatest schools.

AFAIK students in Walnut Bend are also allowed to go to West Briar Middle School.

• 4 months later...
The key word is master planned. This is to include schools, churches, libraries, grovery stores, a mall, a hospital, a fire station, etc etc.

I don't think the Heights had all that on the drawing board along with the subdivision design.

I just have to get in my two cents about Frys because I build computers and wouldn't consider going anywhere else. It's not the most shopper-friendly store for those who are technically-challenged, but you absolutely cannot beat the prices. That's why they locate themselves on the outskirts of major cities. Their rent is low and I'm willing to drive for the savings.

I just have to get in my two cents about Frys because I build computers and wouldn't consider going anywhere else. It's not the most shopper-friendly store for those who are technically-challenged, but you absolutely cannot beat the prices. That's why they locate themselves on the outskirts of major cities. Their rent is low and I'm willing to drive for the savings.

While I agree, I think you must have quoted the wrong person.

Why it is that in this town areas go from good to bad so quickly does not havea simple answer but you touched on a great point when you said the city lacks zoning. I'd say lack of zoning and just depending on developers to have deed restrictions do the trick while city ordinance(s) also factor in is a major problem.

I live in Westbury so I can give the classic example of the Home Depot that came here in the mid 90s. Such a store has no business being located in the center of a major residential area. All sorts of trafffic that would not normally come into the area does so because of the store. Mega big box stores like that belong on feeders next to major highways. The 610 and westpark location is the way it should be done. But hey I've posted about that on HAIF before so enough of that.

A major reason for decline of otherwise good areas are high concentractions of apartment complex built in the area. The rental market has been very tight ever since loans got cheap and credit checks for buying a home became very lax. Desparate landlords have been just taking anyone with a pulse in many cases. Many of the older properties that can not get people who would want to live in a newer better place often break the rules and lease to illegal immigrants, allow too many people to occupy the units, or look the other way when renters break rules by doing stuff like drinking on property.

There is a very slippery slope when it comes to that sort of thing. I've worked in the industry for 9 years and seen that a property can go to hell very fast. If one person gets away with something then you can could on everyone who wants to do the same doing just that.

When you survey an area to rent or buy a home always drive about 3 miles in each direction to check out what sorts of business is set up around the area. If you see pawn shops, hard liquor stores, smoke shops, porn emporiums, etc....do not expect it to be a good area. There are a few odd exceptions in Houston. One that stands out is a pawn shop on Bissonett just outside of loop 610 before you get to S. Rice. That is an excellent area.

Another infamous area is known as the "Gulfton Ghetto". This was at its inception a nice place to live for working class people who wanted a safe, quiet, and clean place to live. These days there is a lot of gang activity, drug traffic, and the like over there. Sadly, it has destroyed home values in the area which is like a 5-10 minute drive from the Galleria. If that area were to be cleaned up I'd say a 2000 sq ft home would sell for around $350K easy.

Read up on it on this guy's web page:

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/photos...n_history.shtml

The Meyerland area, as far as I know, has nowhere to go but "up", considering the McMansions that might go there soon. In addition Meyerland is zoned to Bellaire High.

On the other hand, many living in Westbury shun the local high school, opting for Bellaire, magnet schools, or private schools.

My neighbor used to work odd jobs after she and her husband decided finances were getting very tight. She went into Westbury High as a sub. and quit after about 4 months on the job. She says the general attitude of the school is pretty much that the kids that go there will all end up in dead end low wage jobs so why even try to achieve something and contemplate post-graduation programs. She was what I'd call a very liberal optimist yet this is what she told me.

The apartments that surround the school are part of the problem because they kind of give a visual que as to the area being bad and therefore since you are in it you are also bad when it may not be the case. Positive things happend to positive thinkers so I'd say the whole culture of the school needs to be changed.

The soultion may be to break up the populations of 2 or 3 high schools and mix the kids up so being zoned to a school does not automatically place you in one. I know the Bellaire people would be furiuos at such an idea but I think it is unfair that they get so much recognition, the best staff, and all of the good students in such concentration.

I attended Lanier Middle School and this was a classic example of how to do it. We had everyone there from kids that wanted to go to MIT to kids that just came to school to eat a lunch. There was also a great balance of the artistic kids and the more science types. There were minor gang type problems and one stupid kid that was obsessed with fire would light up toilet paper and throw it in the bowls to set off fire alarms. They never caught him. Anyway, there as reasonable isolation between the intellects and stupid kids because aside from gym and electives they never had the same classes.

They did interact in groups like choir, band, sports teams, etc. I think this was a great thing because each learned there is more to life than just the side they were on. The rich kids vs. poor kids, smart vs. stupid, etc....it just made you more aware of things.

To this day I'd say some really bad kids still go there yet it is a very presitgious school in Houston. The same can be done with Westbury high. Instead of having 2 really bad school and 1 great one it would make more sense to have 3 moderate to good ones.

Besdies, if the Bellaire kids/parents don't like it they can always buy their way into private schools of their choice. Have you seen what some of the teenage kids are driving out there? Lexus, hummer, BMW, etc....they are not strapped for cash.

"Besdies, if the Bellaire kids/parents don't like it they can always buy their way into private schools of their choice. Have you seen what some of the teenage kids are driving out there? Lexus, hummer, BMW, etc....they are not strapped for cash."

The problem is that HISD doesn't want to lose those students! The kids going to Westbury would most likely stay into the public system no matter what, but the kids zoned to Bellaire have money!

Bellaire HS itself has a small zoning area, consisting of Bellaire, Meyerland, Ayshire, Braes Terrace, Knollwood, Linkwood, Woodshire, Woodside, Westridge, and a part of Westwood. What gives it more students is its AP and IB programs and its foriegn language magnet program.

Also, Westbury's enrollment is falling fast. I heard that some kids went there because they had no uniforms. Now that Westbury High has uniforms, that segment is gone.

Maybe we can wait until Westbury gets too small. Maybe it can become a middle school (which would replace Fondren MS) and then the high school students formerly zoned to Westbury would attend Sharpstown or Bellaire.

In New York City, all high schools are admission-only. NYC has no high school zoning boundaries. I wonder how that would work out in Houston.

Edited by VicMan

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts here on the Braesmont or Braesview Terrace subdivisions next to Meyerland and Bellaire? We are currently making an offer on a house on Maple right on the border of Bellaire and Braesmont (after a disastrous experience with Lovett Homes). We're thinking it may be like living in Bellaire without paying Bellaire prices. Thoughts?

Any thoughts here on the Braesmont or Braesview Terrace subdivisions next to Meyerland and Bellaire? We are currently making an offer on a house on Maple right on the border of Bellaire and Braesmont (after a disastrous experience with Lovett Homes). We're thinking it may be like living in Bellaire without paying Bellaire prices. Thoughts?

I'd be interestd in hearing more about your experience with Lovett Homes. I hope to be shopping for a home in Houston fairly soon and had gotten the impression they were a pretty good builder. Is that impression wrong?

I'd be interestd in hearing more about your experience with Lovett Homes. I hope to be shopping for a home in Houston fairly soon and had gotten the impression they were a pretty good builder. Is that impression wrong?

First, I'd like to qualify what I'm about to say with the fact that their product is good which is why Frank Liu is doing well. BUT the flip side (a big flip side) is that their customer service is absolutely the worst. My wife and I purchased pre-construction in the museum district. After waiting 6+ months, we found that four 12 ft tall utility meters were placed right in front of our house. You really have to see it to believe it. You can go ahead and take a look at it. The address is 1410 Rosedale. The sales representative NEVER told us that those things would be put up. We're mad because at the time of signing we could've picked any other lot. Prior to that situation, the sales lady was always rude and impatietnt with us anytime we wanted to change something on the house or if we spotted a mistake. I mean c'mon I'm spending 300+K on this house and you can't accomodate any of our needs?! At any rate things have gone to the point we just want to terminate and get our 10K back. Apparently Lovett is very used to litigation because they did not even blink when we sent them a demand letter. Now I'm in the process of consulting with lawyers and may have a protracted arbitration in front of me.

So my advice would be to buy a completed Lovett home if you really love the product, but do NOT build with them. Once you sign that sales contract and they get your earnest money, they don't give a darn about your needs. Hey if you like the product enough, go for it, but just make sure you are on site every day and be prepared to fight to get your way for every single thing. AND get everything (and I really mean everything that the sales respresentatives says or promises) in writing.

Thanks for the info. I would probably mostly be looking at completed ("used") houses anyway, so THAT's a relief. Good to hear you think they are well-built.

Your experience and others like yours is one reason I'd lean towards a used product. Dealing with people like that would drive me over the edge. I hope you can get it all worked out; You have my sympathy.

Sorry, everyone, for kind of taking us off-topic.

Now, we return to our regular programming.

Edited by Houston19514

A girl in my school who transferred out of Westbury has an idea on how to improve it:

Establish a "real" magnet program - perhaps an automotive-technology related program. Westbury is known for its automotive programs.

Also, Willow Meadows and the S.C. Red Elementary area should be rezoned to Bellaire since most kids in that area go to Bellaire anyway.

• 5 weeks later...
"In New York City, all high schools are admission-only. NYC has no high school zoning boundaries. I wonder how that would work out in Houston.

Native Houstonian now living in New York City here. Sad to say the NYC 'admission-only' system for high schools isn't so great either. 8th graders must rank their top five high school choices in the order in which they want to attend. Unfortunately some students don't get into ANY of their choices and they get assigned to some school in another bourough.

One concept the New York City DOE has implemented in recent years is to divide up some of the mega high schools (1,000 or more students) into 2 or 3 three separate schools that share the same building. The idea is that the students won't get lost in a giant school and will receive more individual attention.

At least the private schools in Houston don't cost $26,000 per year like they do here in NYC!

Native Houstonian now living in New York City here. Sad to say the NYC 'admission-only' system for high schools isn't so great either. 8th graders must rank their top five high school choices in the order in which they want to attend. Unfortunately some students don't get into ANY of their choices and they get assigned to some school in another bourough.

One concept the New York City DOE has implemented in recent years is to divide up some of the mega high schools (1,000 or more students) into 2 or 3 three separate schools that share the same building. The idea is that the students won't get lost in a giant school and will receive more individual attention.

At least the private schools in Houston don't cost $26,000 per year like they do here in NYC!

My idea for Houston is a combination of Houston and New York's systems. Students would still have zoned comprehensive schools, but they are also have to apply to at least 5 other schools. I want to bring in other parts of Houston into Houston ISD to allow for a large student pool for all of these programs. There would be tons of new high school programs established across the city. E.G. I think Kingwood (currently a part of Humble ISD) is a prime spot for a wildlife and fishery program.

Out of district students (e.g. an Humble student wishing to attend Kingwood High) would be able to go to an HISD magnet program for free if there is space left over after all Houston students have applied and been accepted. HISD would encourage some magnet schools to build more space to accomodate new areas of the city that are brought into the district.

Edited by VicMan