Light Guard Armory

Subdude

• 4 years later...
I wonder what's going on with this. The building continues to lie in disuse. Its a wonderful building to look at. So much potential. Such an interesting exterior.

At the 2008 Juneteenth Celebration Mayor White said he handed the keys to the building to the Buffalo Soldiers Museum. I think it's great way to enshrine the military history of both groups and the building.

• 4 months later...

Drove over to the armory today to see what progress - if any - had been made since the Buffalo Soldiers museum announcement. It still looks the same as always, that is to say gorgeous and abandoned and falling further into disrepair.

Found this rather recent article from March about the building, with an interior photo and a description of what it looks like inside. There's a good interview with the docent of the museum about their ideas for the space:

http://offcite.org/2009/03/26/houston-ligh...uffalo-soldiers

Anyone else heard any more recent news?

Timely. I rode up onto this building recently and wondered what it was. It is a fantastic building with some intricate details! I'd love to see the insides. Sad to say I couldn't figure out why it was still standing. Being a historic building in Houston is like being a caribou on the Serengetti. Comforting to see there are no current plans for demolition.

Timely. I rode up onto this building recently and wondered what it was. It is a fantastic building with some intricate details! I'd love to see the insides. Sad to say I couldn't figure out why it was still standing. Being a historic building in Houston is like being a caribou on the Serengetti. Comforting to see there are no current plans for demolition.

I love your analogy...so true.

Archived