Copperfield Area

PureAuteur

Has there been a demographic shift in the Copperfield area in the last few years? When we were looking at homes around 529 and Barker Cypress back in the mid 90s, the area was almost completely white. I was in the Wal-Mart near 529 and Hwy 6 the other day (not by choice), and I didn't see a single white person in the entire store, and there were quite a few people shopping.

Go to a Wal-Mart anywhere in this city and you'll likely find similar results.

As for the demographics of Copperfield (proper), I don't think they've changed significantly, majority still white. I will say that the demographics between the area South of 529 and North of I-10 have a more diverse racial mix than the areas North of 529 or South of I-10.

How does the city get segregated like that? Even though I have no clue as to why, I have always had this gut feeling that the demographic shift of Spring Branch in the 80s and 90s would continue into the areas beyond Beltway 8 and beyond Hwy 6 following along the line of 290, so that everything south of 290 would be non-white and everything north of 290 would be mostly white. I was visiting an old friend in Copperfield, and I just assumed it would be the same as it was in the mid 90s, but things have changed. I'd say the area will look totally different in 10 years as the segregation begins to take shape further outward. I'd be curious to see what Copperfield proper does, since it's south of 290. It's too bad our city has to be this way, but it makes sense.

Actually 529 seems to be the imaginary line of demarcation, not 290.

In any event, Texas and especially Houston are becoming much more racially diverse. While every other population remains fairly constant (as a percentage), the number of whites is decreasing, whilst the number of hispanics is dramatically increasing. Currently in Texas, White represent 50% of the population, Hispanics 35%. In 20-25 years, that number will flip-flop - which means that in about 10 years we'll see that in Houston, if not sooner.

Studies show that people tend to self-segregate, not in any kind of sinister way, but people just like to be amongst 'their' people - people of similar cultures, values and beliefs. Human nature.

There's probably an economic argument that can be tied to this argument as well.

I think segregation of areas and communities has become more acceptable because of the political correctness of society. People would rather be in a homogenous culture rather than worry about political correctness in a mixed environment. So, it's different from the segregation that existed in the 1950s. That kind was strictly based on skin color, because the culture of blacks in the 1950s wasn't that much different from the culture of whites.

I think the 1970s, 80s, and 90s were some of the best times, because the former segregation was gone and the latter had not yet been solidified. The only places in America where segregation doesn't exist now are places where caucasians make up a large majority, and medium sized cities with more equitable distributions of income amongst residents, and maybe more tolerant mindsets about other ethnic groups.

We looked at a lot of houses in Copperfield in December and I think the only people I saw were white or Asian.

Yeah, MrFootball mentioned that Copperfield proper was still majority white, but I think the people I was seeing in Wal-Mart (when I observed that there were no white people) probably came from Bear Creek, the cheaper neighborhoods off 529 like Somerall, and the low income apartments along Hwy 6, south of 529.

Actually, in most cities' suburbs natural segragation occurs. I just moved from San Fran (San Mateo) and that town is definitely segregagted,which is funny considering how liberal they are. Same in Atlanta where my brother lives. And I would tend to agree with Mr Football, it has something to do with economic, not skin color in my book. People like being around people that they havce things in common. I mean, do you really want to be the only guy on the block to own a BMW, Wide Screen Plasma TV, Satelllite TV two laptoips and a desktop? While your neighbors 1992 Ford Taurus needs a paint job, and they are wooried about making the payment on their credit card bills? I know its shallow, but lets face it, its true. (Vica Versa I think is true, you don;t want to be the only 1995 Taurus on a street of Lexus and BMW, and your neighbors are inviting you to Annie's once a month and you can't even afford Fridays... Get it?

• The title was changed to Copperfield Area

Archived