If the Museum District is not already a TIRZ, should it be? Creating a Museum District TIRZ could bring pedestrian friendly elements similar to the Uptown TIRZ and perhaps common lighting features, benches, etc.? Is a TIRZ going to do well in a Museum (non profit, charity driven) District?

• Like 1

I remember at the time they gave Midtown a TIRZ they DID need it, and Midtown started booming shortly after that... Although it would have done so anyway with or without the TIRZ... So maybe they were a little premature in giving it to Midtown.

I'm curious though, exactly which improvements in Midtown were paid for by its TIRZ?

Regarding Uptown, I would have never thought of that as an "underdeveloped" area...

The lamp posts and benches are provided by the Midtown TIRZ. They also worked with Metro on some of the bus stops.

But other than that, not much else.

We were in constant contact with Charles LeBlane and the Midtown RA. The "good side" of the tracks got most of the attention, and we had to fight hard for those lamp posts and benches on Jackson and Chenevert.

Well hopefully there is some accountability involved... There must be a record of how much money was taken in and how the money was spent?

I'm sure the City of Houston is interested in such a record, considering this is money that could have been used in another part of the city.

Thanks for the link... you're a good googler :)

So it looks like there are a few more projects on the board.

So does "Capital Improvement" refer to the street reconstruction projects that have been going on there or is that something that Metro was doing anyway? Same with Uptown... was the recent widening of Sage Road & San Felipe done with TIRZ money?

And why do you say the TIRZ expires in 2008? According to the website it's a 30 year TIRZ.

If the Museum District is not already a TIRZ, should it be? Creating a Museum District TIRZ could bring pedestrian friendly elements similar to the Uptown TIRZ and perhaps common lighting features, benches, etc.? Is a TIRZ going to do well in a Museum (non profit, charity driven) District?

;)

• 2 years later...

okay, it's not there - unless i am still crazy...

does anyone know about this sculpture - who, when, etc.?

it was a thin blue metal sculpture just east of chenevert on the southmore median

i checked the municipal art site, and got nothing

ha - who knows - someone could have done that :P

funny thing is that i can't find a thing about it - there was a geocache on it (i guess it was taken with when it was removed).

question is - i would assume the city would have either something to do with its placement (or removal) since it is on city property...are there just some works that are unaccounted for?

this map shows the sculpture (tiny) to the right of the thumbtack

• 8 years later...

The conceptual plan should be released soon.

a plan for future connectivity, development, and sense of place. Presenting big ideas for initial discussion, the design team will refine concepts over a series of public workshops.  Concepts will be incorporated into a community vision, expressing near term and long term goals.  Recommendations will be based on the needs and desires of the neighborhood and anticipated/available resources.

http://www.museumparksn.org/#!livable-centers/c155h

Looking forward to what they come up with.

I dealt with this group years ago when they first formed. My guess is they'll want everything Midtown already has with no understanding of how a TIRZ works. They'll come up with pie in the sky wishes that can never be implemented, and will blame everyone else as to why they can't have every irrational demand met. Plus, they'll want their needs prioritized over poorer neighborhoods.

I dealt with this group years ago when they first formed. My guess is they'll want everything Midtown already has with no understanding of how a TIRZ works. They'll come up with pie in the sky wishes that can never be implemented, and will blame everyone else as to why they can't have every irrational demand met. Plus, they'll want their needs prioritized over poorer neighborhoods.

The taxes of the home$ next to rice and mecom are the highest in the city.

• The title was changed to Blue Ribbon Sculpture In The Median Of Southmore