Mandell Park At 4399 Mandell St.

nativehou

The green space at the corner of Richmond and Mandell may have a brighter future. Located between El Pueblito and Lucky Burger, the park is a great part of the Castle Court neighborhood, where I used to live, but it isn't as user-friendly as it could be.

A plan has been drawn up to make a beautiful pocket park:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w298/hopkinshou/mandall_park_competition.jpg

They just need the funds. This would be a big plus for the Montrose. And if/when Menil builds another museum on the property it bought across the street from this park, it would be the start of a great little walking district.

Here's where I got the info:

http://www.my-table.com/section/news/42.html

The green space at the corner of Richmond and Mandell may have a brighter future. Located etween El Pueblito and Lucky Burger, the park is a great part of the Castle Court neighborhood, where I used to live, but it isn't as user-friendly as it could be.

hopefully they'll leave the neighborhood garden concept. it was always refreshing to see the hood band together.

• 5 years later...

From an email by Friends of Mandell Park:

We have learned that Houston Parks and Recreation Department has set aside $300,000 for Mandell Park in the current Capital Improvement Program for 2013. There are a few legal hurdles to be overcome, but it is anticipated that the money will be transferred to our account with the Houston Parks Board. This money along with the $535,000 we have in the bank will essentially allow us to build out the improvements designed by Asakura Robinson.

We anticipate the construction drawings to be completed by Mid-February and sent to City of Houston Planning Department for permits to allow construction to begin, hopefully this spring and in time to allow the work to be completed by October 2013.

http://www.friendsofmandellpark.org/

After stagnating for several years, there is an incredible amount of work ongoing along Richmond inside the Loop.

• 2 months later...

AT Neartown meeting we were told that after a $300,000. CIP grant from City of Houston, the friends of Mandell Park have reached their financial goal and improvements (after the last of the permits are secured) will begin.

Mandell was just repaved last year (or late 2011) from Richmond to the US59 bridge. I hope those doing the improvements don't see the need to rip it up again to put in the the esplanade. Bonnie Brae already has an esplanade so a bit of decorative paving might be a good thing. It could definitely define ( lol ) the pedestrian crossing at that intersection, It is sometimes "interesting" to cross Mandell at Bonnie Brae because of the heavy traffic that utilizes Mandell in the afternoons. The same is true at Castle Court especially since it is so close to the bridge over US59. I think the proximity of that intersection to the bridge surprises some people (over and over again in some cases :( ).

• 8 months later...

do we have renderings for this or is it the same as the ones posted above from 2007?  this isn't far from my place - that whole stretch of richmond needs some sprucing up. hopefully with all the new apt and office construction nearby it will get some much needed love.

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised at 1525 Sul Ross and the location of the proposed green area was the location of an old service station and garage in the fifties. Interesting how things change. There is one constant in this world and that is nothing stays the same.

• 5 months later...

From Cohens e newsletter

Recent renovations to District C's Mandell Park were celebrated at a special gathering of residents, volunteers, and City officials. Friends of Mandell Park President Skip Almoney highlighted the new amenities, which include a wheelchair-accessible community garden, upgraded pathways lined with Mexican sycamores, rain gardens, and a state-of-the-art composting station. Mandell Park is located in the Castle Court neighborhood of Montrose.

• The title was changed to Mandell Park - Richmond Ave. At Mandell St.
  • The title was changed to Mandell Park At 4399 Mandell St.

Archived