Telge Rd. & Huffmesiter Rd.

NWHouston83

:angry2: Well the developer of Coles Crossing finishes the build-out of homes, and now they start the clear cutting of remaining land in the area. If you don't know, the triangle between Telge & Huffmeister (which will be a complete trianglke when Huffmeister Rd is turned) is being developed into an Apartment complex, with retail shops (strip center) fronting Telge, and at the Huffmeister Turn (where the old huffmesiter and the new Huffmeister will split). Been trying to get information from the developer (Satya, Inc) to see if we can influence the design to keep Longwood, Northlakje Forest & Coles Crossing from being dragged down too much, but can't get anyone to talk at Paige Partners (Real Estate Agent) or Satya.... My guess is that its 1-2 years out (will happen when Huffmeister project is complete... SO DON'T VOTE FOR THE BOND EXTENSION WHEN IT COMES UP! MAKE COUNTY SPLIT SPRING CYPRESS PROJECT FROM HUFFMEISTER)..

Actually, if they would develop it as high end retail, might be ok, but looking at Satya's last development in the area (Spring Cypress where Telge & Spring Cypress split) don't have much hope of that!.

Here is the link to the development flyer: http://www.page-partners.com/flyers/Huffme...ister.Telge.htm

I've addressed the Longwood HOA about this development at this month's Board meeting. Needless to say, they're very concerned/interested in what's being proposed there. (Coles Crossing, Northlake people if you haven't already, please inform your own neighborhood HOA about this proposed development)

I'd like to put together a group to go meet with Sunny Bhatija (Satya) and encourage him to reconsider his development plan. To 1) ensure that whatever goes in there, that it blends with the community and doesn't detract from its value. 2) To suggest alternative developments - WE are afterall, the ultimate customers of the businesses that are going in there. We certainly want to make sure whatever goes in there is successful and something that is welcomed by the community.

As you know, there's not much need for another half-empty, nameess shopping center. We have very strong demographics in this area, yet there are very few upscale developments that cater to the higher end. While I'd prefer that this parcel remained undeveloped, the reality is, its too valuable. When it is developed, I want it to be something that adds value to the community, not detract. I think whatever retailers/restaurants they put in there would be quite successful if they aim to serve that segment of the market. It would also make that parcel more valuable.

I've also spoken to Page Partners broker, Chris Pitts. Pitts mentioned that the Walgreen's they have listed on the site plan wasn't a done deal and was merely for demonstration purposes (we don't need another drugstore). I mentioned to him that an apartment complex wouldn't be nearly as desireable as an upscale shopping village with some decent restaurants. Or even a nice sleek office building surrounded by nice trees (that parcel is heavily wooded, and ground zero for all of the major neighborhoods in North Cypress), there is a lack of nice Class A office space, and I think it would go over well as there are a large number of professionals who home office, real estate, mortgage, and/or title companies that would jump all over it.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in putting a group from Coles together to meet with Satya. I've got several people from Longwood who want to meet as well. The more people we get, the more weight we have. I would also urge you to contact the MUD board that serves that parcel.

Mr Football, you are indeed a knowledge base of the area. I agree that the land is too valuable not too develop, just hope they do so coconsciously. Wouldn't it have been great if they would have developed it during the construct of Coles Crossing? Then for the sake of their housing development, you know it would have been upscale. But that would have been poor business for the land owner....

I knew that the Walgreen

Keep the apartments out!!!!! If they tell you that they are upscale, still protest. Upscale apartments in these areas dont tend to stay that way for long. I have said time and time again, people would rather pay a high mortgage over a high rent, meaning the folks that primarily reside in these areas are homeowners. That will FACT will force the owners of the apartments to drop the rents which in turn will attract a not so savory element. Beware of the apts.!!!

Heaven forbid, more apartments!!! I think we should organize a march and protest and write all of our congress-folks and kicks some arse until we run all of those poor people (who are going to pay $1400 per month for a two-bedroom luxury apartment with an extra $100 to garage their Audi) back to Beaumont.

Are you folks really this insane? It's really great that you have all of these wonderful ideas of what you would do if you were king and could build a 50 story office tower because the land is so durn valuable. Oops! The neighborhood would freak out because then someone in the office tower could peer into the neighborhood pool... and we would have to write more letters and protest and march and sing songs and burn our Brooks Brothers blazers. Whew! I'm tuckered out from preventing big business from taking advantage of little old me.

In sincerity, I applaud your ambition and eagerness to contact the developer, but don't ya think for a second that if the developer could turn the land into an office complex with high-end retail, then the developer's investor would demand this?

I hate to invoke the call of the Niche, but I think someone needs to remind you guys about economics and stop worrying about the apartment kids ruining your world.

Niche ~ you get kinda long-winded and on your soapbox with so much theory that you overwhelm people, but can you remind the kind folks here about supply and demand?

I'm going to go fight the power since the Man is holding me down. Or is that me?

I'd rather they just kept the nice trees, but I'd surely welcome good restaurants and/or retail. Just keep a tree buffer. And make it nice. It's really not too much to ask. In other cities that have smart land-use policies and zoning you don't have to worry, but in Houston and Harris County you do.

Being residents here (as well as the target consumers), I think we have a better idea of what we want than a developer who's other area projects sit and languish half-empty and contributing to unecessary urban blight.

As a resident, and since economics has been brought up, home values in subdivisions drop 5-10% when apartments are put up, and 10-15% when retail is put up. Thats a fact. So, you may say that the developers are just looking out for their investors, which I admit they must do, but we as investors in our communities (and thus equal to a business) owe it to our business to do everything we can to stop or at least minimize the loss of investment this could bring. Also recognize if you buy this arguement, that we must use EVERY avenue available or we are not performing our fudiciary responsibility. EVne if those avenues involve calling in politicians to assist. The problem has always been developers have deeper pockets.

BUT if we could get Longwood, Coles, Northlake to realize the financiuals at risk (lets say average home value of $200k, and say a 5% drop, thats $10k per house... I forget the housing numbers in each community, but let's say just 500 homes (those closest to the development) thats $5,000,000 worth of loss to the existing "businesses". Looking at that, you think we could get some action?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny, I always thought that would be a good central location for Town Hall.

Not that it really matters that much it was just a thought. The property owner will do whatever they want. Without any zoning or archetectual controls it will always be a free-for-all.

(yeah i'm still here, just been lurking for awhile)

• 5 months later...

Apartments are the least of your worries up there.... A close friend lives in StableWood off of Huffmeister, about 2 minutes from the proposed site. For sale signs are up all over the place... some have been up for over a year.

Apartments are going to lower the value of your homes anymore than the seemingly unlimited land.

What does the average lot sell for? $30,000???

The land was sold by Satya to Davis Development, a Georgia-based

Multifamily developer.

Here's the contact info if you wish to express your concern over how

this property is developed.

Davis Development, Inc (Carrington Park At Chenal Vly)

1050 Eagles Landing Pkwy # 300, Stockbridge, GA 30281-9250

Phone: (770) 474-4345

Clearing which land? I hope you're not talking about the forested land behind the Kids R Kids. :o

I'm afraid so. They have cleared out most of the south portion along the new Huffmeister Road, with the exception of the southwest corner by where it intersects Telge. Other than a few token trees along the road, completely clear cut.

Apartments are the least of your worries up there.... A close friend lives in StableWood off of Huffmeister, about 2 minutes from the proposed site. For sale signs are up all over the place... some have been up for over a year.

Apartments are going to lower the value of your homes anymore than the seemingly unlimited land.

What does the average lot sell for? $30,000???

I'm not sure the Stablewood Farms homes for sale are not a different issue. I've met a few people who moved from Stablewood Farms to Coles Crossing, so I doubt the apartments were the issue there. I've heard other things about Stablewood Farms, with the lack of ammenities and a high HOA, along with the KB Homes and "diverse" group of housing options.

As a resident, and since economics has been brought up, home values in subdivisions drop 5-10% when apartments are put up, and 10-15% when retail is put up. Thats a fact. So, you may say that the developers are just looking out for their investors, which I admit they must do, but we as investors in our communities (and thus equal to a business) owe it to our business to do everything we can to stop or at least minimize the loss of investment this could bring. Also recognize if you buy this arguement, that we must use EVERY avenue available or we are not performing our fudiciary responsibility. EVne if those avenues involve calling in politicians to assist. The problem has always been developers have deeper pockets.

BUT if we could get Longwood, Coles, Northlake to realize the financiuals at risk (lets say average home value of $200k, and say a 5% drop, thats $10k per house... I forget the housing numbers in each community, but let's say just 500 homes (those closest to the development) thats $5,000,000 worth of loss to the existing "businesses". Looking at that, you think we could get some action?

I do not know what our where your "facts" come from but these "facts" you show are very untrue and treat all apartment and retail developments the same. There are instances all over of apartments affection residential both positively and negatively - all depends how it is done. The same goes for retail. Most retail actually helps residential because it creates conveniences and can provide a sense of community if done correctly. Yes, there are instances where values go down, but never in the percentages you suggest and especially not on the average as yo also suggest.

Also, the politicians will listen to the people, but these developers create a tax base, which is much more beneficial and valuable to them than residential because most people do not vote (that is a fact).

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article in the HBJ about an apartment complex Davis Development put up west of Houston. It sounds better than most, so hopefully the one at Telge and Huffmeister is at least this "high end".

All the trees are down on that parcel now, except for about a token three or four.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...ry4.html?page=2

The land was sold by Satya to Davis Development, a Georgia-based

Multifamily developer.

Here's the contact info if you wish to express your concern over how

this property is developed.

Davis Development, Inc (Carrington Park At Chenal Vly)

1050 Eagles Landing Pkwy # 300, Stockbridge, GA 30281-9250

Phone: (770) 474-4345

This company doesn't even have a website...I find it hard to believe these will be nice...

Man, this is really upsetting...Not trying to be a pessimist but I am starting to not like the way development is going in this area between these new apartments and the way that Reed King is developing the HEB and adjacent retail...they didn't even bury the power lines, no trees, etc....

This company doesn't even have a website...I find it hard to believe these will be nice...

Man, this is really upsetting...Not trying to be a pessimist but I am starting to not like the way development is going in this area between these new apartments and the way that Reed King is developing the HEB and adjacent retail...they didn't even bury the power lines, no tress, etc....

Jefferson Development, the developers of Coles Crossing are to blame for this. (Fall Creek, Firethorne residents beware). This parcel was originally slated for Single Family. After that, MUD 364 (Coles Crossing) was just about the only authority with power over how this property was developed. They had some leverage as to what went in there and how it would be developed. They failed the community miserably, IMO.

As for "luxury" apartment developer Davis Development...

Here's an example of one of their developments. Nice of them to leave some of the trees up in this one:

http://atlanta.apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?aptid=221362

The only thing that would make me feel better about this is if they go ahead and purchase the adjacent (still wooded) lots that Satya wants to put their cheesy strip centers on. It would be nice if they made that a reserve.

These apartments are zoned to the new Black Elementary School (outside Rock Creek), Goodson Middle and Cy-Woods HS.

Here's an example of one of their developments. Nice of them to leave some of the trees up in this one:

http://atlanta.apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?aptid=221362

The only thing that would make me feel better about this is if they go ahead and purchase the adjacent (still wooded) lots that Satya wants to put their cheesy strip centers on. It would be nice if they made that a reserve.

These apartments are zoned to the new Black Elementary School (outside Rock Creek), Goodson Middle and Cy-Woods HS.

Well, those don't seem too bad, hopefully they can do something similar, they almost look like townhomes.

Are you sure about the middle school zoning??? It seems like these would be zoned to Hamilton. I thought Hamilton had this area east of Telge with Spillane taking all west of Telge...maybe I am missing something.

Well, those don't seem too bad, hopefully they can do something similar, they almost look like townhomes.

Are you sure about the middle school zoning??? It seems like these would be zoned to Hamilton. I thought Hamilton had this area east of Telge with Spillane taking all west of Telge...maybe I am missing something.

100% sure about the Elementary and the High School. Not 100% sure about the Middle School.

Talk about a stupid name...

"Villas at Huffmeister"

This must be another one of their communities, further down the Huff on the other side of 290.

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community.../1000050942.php

I wonder what this one will be called? Villas at Coles Crossing? Telge Villas? Villas at Nomorewoods? Villas at Fallen Pine?

Jefferson Development, the developers of Coles Crossing are to blame for this. (Fall Creek, Firethorne residents beware). This parcel was originally slated for Single Family. After that, MUD 364 (Coles Crossing) was just about the only authority with power over how this property was developed. They had some leverage as to what went in there and how it would be developed. They failed the community miserably, IMO.

Jefferson Development failed because they chose not to develop the land? I have often wondered why they didn't expand Cole's to the other side of Barker Cypress as well as some of the area's east of Telge...I mean the community was successful. I know they didn't even try to acquire the land west of Barker Cypress closer to 290 because is was in a different MUD, at least that is the story I have been given.

BTW, that other development down Huffmiester you linked is pretty crappy, I like the other one much more...

Jefferson Development failed because they chose not to develop the land? I have often wondered why they didn't expand Cole's to the other side of Barker Cypress as well as some of the area's east of Telge...I mean the community was successful. I know they didn't even try to acquire the land west of Barker Cypress closer to 290 because is was in a different MUD, at least that is the story I have been given.

BTW, that other development down Huffmiester you linked is pretty crappy, I like the other one much more...

Coles Crossing was expanded to the west of Barker Cypress and east of Telge:

http://www.colescrossinghoa.com/images/cus...0COMMERCIAL.PDF

Coles has apparently decided ot not annex Stillwater Village east of Telge because it would put too much of a strain on amenities, even though Stillwater Village developers lobbied for it.

Coles Crossing was expanded to the west of Barker Cypress and east of Telge:

http://www.colescrossinghoa.com/images/cus...0COMMERCIAL.PDF

I am sorry, I should have clarified my post, I meant the area west of Barker Cypress and South of Jarvis, where the Reed King Commercial property is... and the area east of Telge is a very small section I believe marketed toward seniors, there was much more room across Telge than what was developed.

Either, way, what's done is done, and now all we can do is hope for the best in tems of multi-family and commercial development. I have been lobbying the Coles board to become active in steering the development of certain pieces of commercial property as best they can, they are trying but it seems they are overwhelmed.

I am sorry, I should have clarified my post, I meant the area west of Barker Cypress and South of Jarvis, where the Reed King Commercial property is... and the area east of Telge is a very small section I believe marketed toward seniors, there was much more room across Telge than what was developed.

Either, way, what's done is done, and now all we can do is hope for the best in tems of multi-family and commercial development. I have been lobbying the Coles board to become active in steering the development of certain pieces of commercial property as best they can, they are trying but it seems they are overwhelmed.

I don't imagine there is much the Coles Crossing board can do, though it would be nice if they could do something. As I understand it, Cole's developer sold off those sections nof land. Without zoning, its pretty much a free for all.

I'm just waiting for a McDonald's or Burger King to go up on the NE corner of the new Telge-Huffmeister intersection, the part that is still wooded. That, or a gas station combo with a fast food joint. Or worse yet, another strip mall with a nail shop and three vacant units...

If the trees do not get saved, which I'm sure they won't, and some business is built, a bank would be about the best to hope for, but I'm not sure that would happen.

I am not sure how much of the property was ever controlled by Jefferson, but I do know that the Coles board along with the two MUDs in Coles are actively trying to work with anyone they can to control, as much as possible, what goes in on these lots. Like you said, however, it is pretty much a free for all so they are having to get pretty creative...

Jefferson Development, the developers of Coles Crossing are to blame for this. (Fall Creek, Firethorne residents beware).

I don't know if you have ever been to Fall Creek, but the part of thier development that fronts Beltway 8 is about a solid mile and a half of massive treeless apartment complexes...I am not sure if that is Jefferson's doing, but if so, Coles and Northwest Houston got off lightly...

Where is the school zoning information for this new apartment building located? I tried to find it on the Cy-Fair website but couldn't locate an updated zoning map.

Archived