The Untapped Potential Of Idylwood

Boat slips? What kind of boats are they thinking of? Yachts sailing past oil tankers in the ship channel? :blink:  I wonder how much influence our buddy Michael Berry has in all of this as, last time I checked, he had some raw land listings north of Navigation going for more than 1 million per acre.

No matter how it turns out, the transformation of Buffalo Bayou will be a great boon to the EastEnd and the city.

Interesting about Mr. Berry. I know he's running again cause i got a personal invite to a fundraiser with David Saperstein, the traffic guru. i'll have to do some research.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...the transformation of Buffalo Bayou will be a great boon to the EastEnd and the city
How likely is this to happen? How complete will it be? And how soon?

What are the plans for the bayou near Idylwood? Somewhere along the bayou (off wayside?), there's an old apartment compex that follows the contour of the bayou. What at the plans for the bayou there? Could that turn into prime property?

Do you think those apartments on Fairview (?) leading into Simms Woods/Country Club Place will be destroyed and replaced, possibly with townhomes, any time soon? I think that would be a big boon to the area.

I like the curved streets of Forest Hill, but it looks ripe for teardowns and McMansions as some homes are modestly priced and have lots that are larger than average.

EDIT: I guess my post basically asks, "What's the Untapped Potential of the East End around Idylwood?"

The bayou along Forrest Hill and Idylwood will be changed pretty dramatically. This detail was released by HCFCD (Harris Country Flood Control):

Forrest Hill: Boat launch is planned. Not like ski boats, but canoes and kayaks.

Mason Park: New nature preserve (can't think of the exact name, but I believe work is almost finished).

Idylwood: Three linear retaining walls will be installed along sections of the bayou. From Idylwood proper, you will see the 2 walls on the cemetary side, but will only see a little lip on Idylwood side. The bayou won't be lined with concrete like Brays is along Meyerland, but the retaining walls are needed to control erosion along some steep vertical sections. Funds are set aside to completely relandscape the area with native plants and trees, and a vine will be planted to grow on (soften) the walls, similar to what was done on the new section of SW fwy. There will be a service ramp near where MacGregor meets Sylvan that can also be used as a kayak/canoe launch. Bike and walking paths are not certain, but residents are hopeful.

Oh, and new bridges at Forrest Hill and Lawndale, ideally with decorative lighting.

We assume that the few homes that flood will be spared future problems since the water should be able to move with much more speed out to the Gulf. Will that really happen? Only time will tell! Thankfully my house is very high up!

What are the plans for the bayou near Idylwood? Somewhere along the bayou (off wayside?), there's an old apartment compex that follows the contour of the bayou.  What at the plans for the bayou there? Could that turn into prime property?

Do you think those apartments on Fairview (?) leading into Simms Woods/Country Club Place will be destroyed and replaced, possibly with townhomes, any time soon? I think that would be a big boon to the area.

I like the curved streets of Forest Hill, but it looks ripe for teardowns and McMansions as some homes are modestly priced and have lots that are larger than average.

EDIT: I guess my post basically asks, "What's the Untapped Potential of the East End around Idylwood?"

With all the flooding in the Meyerland/BellaireMedical Center area, the Braes down on the eastside is supposed to be widened significantly. When they widened Sims Bayou, which was supposed to be of minimal impact, they had to tear down some beautiful homes in Bayou Oaks along Reed Rd. The Garden Villas side was basically unscathed. Quite frankly it has helped the flooding situation along Sims tremendously, however the bayou now is not aesthetically pleasing. They had a huge amount budgeted for landscaping, however it looks horrible. Just not enough to restore the bayou's natural beauty.

I just hope that the expansion IS only a minimal impact and not like Sims turned out. I think that Forest Park Cemetery will come out unscathed since they would have to move caskets, but the golf course and maybe the bayou side of idylwood will be impacted.

The bike/hike trails will come later....i believe the City is trying to connect MacGregor park and Mason Park in an upcoming project. I was riding the trail between Lawndale and Forest Hill a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see a few tents/shanties in the woods next to the golf course. Guess that's everywhere though.

Guest danax

Check out the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan website. Hike and bike trails and Tony Marron Park revamping on the East end are already underway, as well as some work in the Downtown area.

What are the plans for the bayou near Idylwood? Somewhere along the bayou (off wayside?), there's an old apartment compex that follows the contour of the bayou.  What at the plans for the bayou there? Could that turn into prime property?

Funny you should ask about those apts. I've driven by them many times and wondered when someone would realize the potential of that spot, just as I used to wonder when someone would realize the potential of the Buff Bayou on the East End a few years ago, and obviously I wasn't the only one. It's a gradual process and right now that particular area serves lower income people with Fiesta, pawn shops, dollar stores and check cashing shops as the typical retail selections. In time, the influx of higher end residents/developments could, and I think will, turn some of that Brays Bayou land into prime, high-density residential. As for the Brays Bayou changes in the works right now, check out Project Brays

I think any currently low-end stuff that is in the path of higher-end residential demand will likely end up as townhomes as that is the current trend in housing.

As Marilu De La Fuente informed us, Forest Hill was originally planned as a River Oaks types neighborhood. And, as the setting is even potentially nicer than the actual River Oaks, it's destiny may end up being a wealthy enclave afterall, which of course would mean massive teardowns and McMansions.

As for the other surrounding neighborhoods, all I know is that I would like to see the 30s-40s era homes, be they ever so humble, preserved. Front and back yards with driveways leading to detached garages in the back are on the Inner Loop endangered species list and it's just a shame to see entire neighborhoods wiped out and re-invented like so much of the Heights/Shady Acres/Rice Military.

• 7 months later...

This has just been built at Lawndale & Wayside where there used to be a gas station. It's an improvement anyway. I like the "modern" look of Galvalume with brick and some color along with it. It looks like they tried to blend in somewhat with the brick duplexes fronting Lawndale and with Idylwood behind it.

esnm1v.jpg

The developer was Andrew Kaldis, who has developed a number of properties (Panama Lofts in Galveston, Hugo's restaurant, the building Gravitas resides in, Villa Serena, etc.). I know he tried to work with the Civic Club to build something that adhered to the deed restrictions (masonry requirement stands out in my mind), and placement of the AC units to keep noise down.

Leasing the center has been slow, though, probably not helped by the long rebuilding of Wayside.

It's definitely an improvement over what was there. Now if someone would only rehab the building that the Dinner Bell is in!

http://www.kaldis.com/idylwood.html

We used to call the Dinner Bell the "Dinner Belch" when I had a house in Idlywood in the 1980's. I still miss the neighborhood. I had some of the most wonderful neighbors there, in fact one who still lives there that is turning 100 years old this year. Back in the early 80's the AIA had an architectural tour in Idlywood. I still have a poster from it.

We used to call the Dinner Bell the "Dinner Belch" when I had a house in Idlywood in the 1980's. I still miss the neighborhood. I had some of the most wonderful neighbors there, in fact one who still lives there that is turning 100 years old this year. Back in the early 80's the AIA had an architectural tour in Idlywood. I still have a poster from it.

Could you please take a picture of the poster and scan it in? If the quality is high enough, it would look great on Idylwood's website! They are always looking for old pictures to use.

A U of H fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha, for years rented a house right down the street from the Dinner Bell. It was a huge mansion with an expansive front lawn, a fireplace in the ballroom with wooden floors and a plate glass window on the front of the house that took up the entire wall. It was beautiful!

My Dad used to eat at Dinner Bell with the Austin High football team in the early 60s.

I was good friends with the Palermo family. A number of them lived in Idlywood.

Their house was really cool, and made of stone.

MidtownCoog, long shot, but do you happen to recall what street the house was on? There are only a few stone houses in Idylwood, the nicest of which is owned by a couple friends of mine. It is a fantastic single-level stone house with a detached stone two-story garage (gameroom up) high up on a hill with views of Forrest Hill cemetary.

A U of H fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha, for years rented a house right down the street from the Dinner Bell. It was a huge mansion with an expansive front lawn, a fireplace in the ballroom with wooden floors and a plate glass window on the front of the house that took up the entire wall. It was beautiful!

Might that have been "Animal House"across the bayou in the Forest Hill neighborhood? Related HAIF topic here.

I hear the college boys semi-trashed the place and I heard second-hand that the current owner estimates $1,000,000 to completely restore it. :huh:esvujc.jpg

Might that have been "Animal House"across the bayou in the Forest Hill neighborhood? Related HAIF topic here.

I hear the college boys semi-trashed the place and I heard second-hand that the current owner estimates $1,000,000 to completely restore it. :huh:

I went in it the last time it was listed for sale - this was a couple years ago.

It was definately not in good shape but it was - and could be again - an awesome house.

Unfortunately, after it had been listed for sale, someone came in and stole some of the stained glass panes out of the roof skylight (that had lasted through all of the fraternities and since it was built in 1911).

Too bad the Forest Hill neighborhood never made it to the standard of this house. The curvilinear plat was pretty unique (certainly for houston) in the 1910's.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am about to move in to Idylwood. By the end of the month McGregor will be my new home street and I am excited to be in that neighborhood ... I so much looked for a house there and I am glad! I love the area! I found it amazing that lots of people do not know about Idylwood!

Who else in this forum lives in Idylwood? I'd like to have new friends!

Let me know ...

Roberto

Welcome to the Neighborhood (The East End) Robert.

You can find plenty of information on Idylwood by using the Search function within HAIF. Idylwood also belongs in the East End section not in Other Neighborhoods.

I don't live there but I live close by with my wife in Broadmoor. You will need to eat at The Dinner Bell, pretty good food, better then Luby's I think. Also a new Asian/Tapioca restaurant opened up at Lawndale and 75th. Great food and CHEAP. It's located right next door to Amegy Bank and a few doors down from Fiesta.

Scharpe St. Guy

I am about to move in to Idylwood. By the end of the month McGregor will be my new home street and I am excited to be in that neighborhood ... I so much looked for a house there and I am glad! I love the area! I found it amazing that lots of people do not know about Idylwood!

Who else in this forum lives in Idylwood? I'd like to have new friends!

Let me know ...

Roberto

Outside of the lurkers on this forum, I think I'm the only one who has lived there (Danax is a moderator here and lives close by, though!). I sold my house there last year but still loe the neighborhood and have many friends who live there. If you need any info about the neighborhood, feel free to PM me.

Thanks, TravelGuy, I am going to live on 1508 N MacGregor ... We are going to start moving in this weekend ... and it's of course a lof of work! But we're happy, the house is what we were looking for! We are super excited the neighborhood looks great, what do you think of Idylwood? The most surprising fact about Idulwood is that a lot of people (even Houstonians) do not know about it!

So, where in Idylwood did you live?

May I ask where you live now?

I am about to move in to Idylwood (this weekend) and I am so excited! The neighborhood is very nice (some of the houses are extremely beautiful) and the peace you can feel around is exceptional ... I love Idylwood since the moment I drove by few years ago.

Who else in this forum lives in Idylwood?

Roberto

The address you gave, however, is not in Idylwood, but the museum district.

Do a mapquest search for 1508 N MacGregor Way...it actually is in Idylwood, right across the bayou from Forest Park Cemetary. (I always thought this one little "bastard" stretch of N MacGregor was a bit goofy, but it's there)

I think that's one of the most beautiful spots in the whole city.

Guest danax
Thanks, TravelGuy, I am going to live on 1508 N MacGregor ... We are going to start moving in this weekend ... and it's of course a lof of work! But we're happy, the house is what we were looking for! We are super excited the neighborhood looks great, what do you think of Idylwood? The most surprising fact about Idulwood is that a lot of people (even Houstonians) do not know about it!

So, where in Idylwood did you live?

May I ask where you live now?

Welcome to the East End, Roberto and to HAIF. As Travelguy said, I live nearby (but on the "wrong" side of the tracks :ph34r: in Pecan Park, which is near Griggs & 75th). MacGregor Way is one of the best settings in Houston so way to go.

What do I think of Idylwood? It's not exactly unknown, that would've been pre-2000, but the East End still gets little play from most homebuyers but, I think that's changing slowly. Idlywood is just one of those small nooks (or is it a cranny?) that has escaped major destruction and is in a great location, terrain-wise and proximity to Downtown-wise. How many neighborhoods in Houston have small hills and a small river as a border? The homes are not fancy but they all represent the same 30s/40s bungalow style (expect for some of the high-fallutin' ones on MacGregor ):) , so the place has a chance to become even more special through the coming decades if the architectural style remains intact. The danger there is the McMansioning trend, meaning the tearing down of older, smaller homes to construct imposing 21st century pseudo-palaces in their place. Problem is, people tend to think in terms of what they want now, and not what is best for the neighborhood and the city in general. And of course, "what is best" is a very subjective thing.

A few of these McMansions have popped up in Idylwood already. And, unless they've established a historic landmark district or have revamped their deed-restrictions, I don't think there is anything that can be done about that. I'm not really against these pompous, wasteful structures that epitomize modern self-serving and blatant disregard for larger concerns, it's just something you might want to be aware of. The City has no interest one way or the other so any resistance must be grass-roots. It's happened to West U, Bellaire, and other spots around town. It would be nice to have just one area that doesn't get erased architecturally, and Idylwood would be just the spot, IMHO. It would lose something major if the majority of the homes were to be bulldozed. If you love the area, you might want to attend the next civic club meeting and see what's going on.

So that's my bit on Idylwood. You're in a good spot at a good time. Oh, and if you haven't already, check out Mason Park, another unknown gem.

The deed restrictions were updated last year and are definitely stricter than they were previously. I believe that minimum lot sizes and height restrictions made it into the final draft, though don't quote me on that. There is still not an architectural control committee, though, but not many neigbhorhoods of this era (in this price range) have them either.

There are a few homes that are total teardowns, a few that have been subject to inappropriate remodels, and a few total showplaces. The rest are somewhere in the middle.

When the oleanders along MacGregor Way are in bloom, the views up the bayou is quite nice. Of course, the bayou work is about to begin, so get ready for a long period of construction. The Civic Club will most likely be involved to make sure that the truck impact is minimal.

I am about to move in to Idylwood (this weekend) and I am so excited! The neighborhood is very nice (some of the houses are extremely beautiful) and the peace you can feel around is exceptional ... I love Idylwood since the moment I drove by few years ago.

Who else in this forum lives in Idylwood?

Roberto

Hey Roberto did you happen to get that place on Park(the lease I believe). I was looking into that place myself. I been asking around on the forum for a safe place on eastside, and I think Idylwood might be that rare exception. I drove through recently-- It really is a pearl-- well maintained houses and streets. I hope you enjoy it there.

-Omar

Archived