The Untapped Potential Of Idylwood

Someone mentioned Idylwood a while ago and it reminded me of some thoughts I had from last week when I was there visiting a friend. Nice, historica area surrounded by nice landscaping and natural scenery. However, with that, it seems as if it is detached from some of the other nearby areas, areas that aren't quite as impressive but are far from dicey.

It also looks as if it could be the catalyst for a larger resurgence of the area in general if someone invested in amenities such as expanded retail, roads (both Wayside and Lawdale are in pretty rough shape).

Brays Bayou could be rehabbed into quite a jewel, given the green and tree-lined surroundings.

Culturally and commercially, there could be more connectivity between Idylwood and some of the other areas to the immediate east and west. Some of the empty parcels along I-45 just south of the area could be replaced by new housing or businesses (the old Quality Inn Hotel has been demolished but I have no idea if there will be anything to replace it).

Anyone else familiar with the area?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just handled a transaction in there. Idylwood's popularity has spilled over into Houston Country Club estates across the Lawndale/Wayside intersection. I think the RDA-Houston Mod tour is going to feature a home in the area. I would think with all the new development pushing east from downtown, the new Gulfgate renovations, etc., that maybe there will be some positive development coming in place of the old motel they tore down.

Of course inner-loop Houston has always been a block-by-block adventure, improvements will probably come in a patchwork fashion, but I think they will come.

Of course inner-loop Houston has always been a block-by-block adventure, improvements will probably come in a patchwork fashion, but I think they will come.

At this point, this area is still mostly unknown to most Houstonians. I agree that, gradually, 1) this area is being discovered and appreciated and that 2) development is proceeding gradually.

As far as specific improvements, Brays Bayou, as it passes through Mason Park, is being further developed as a wetlands as part of Project Brays. It's already protected as one through there, but now one side of it is being meticulously graded and planted as one. The jogging track, which is one of the nicer ones in the city, will be even nicer soon.

There's a small retail center planned at Lawndale & Wayside, but other than that, I don't know of any developments in the immediate area. Perry Homes had planned a big development on Lawndale called The Enclave but heresay is that they backed out for now. Maybe they were stretching themselves too much too soon on that one.

The East End closer to downtown is, of course, booming. The townhouses have spread east to Lockwood and to Clinton Dr. to the north. Wulfe & Co. ( Meyerland, Gulfgate, Pasadena Towne) bought the old Stevenson & Stevenson plant on Harrisburg and have plans for another retail center. The MetroRail is supposed to run down Harrisburg to the Magnolia Transit Center then down 75th/Garland to Gulfgate TC, which is currently under construction.

I live down the road from Idylwood and if more people knew about these neighborhoods, the developments would quicken. It's really a great spot. All the houses are old/historic, since home construction pretty much filled everything in over here by 1950.

As far as specific improvements, Brays Bayou, as it passes through Mason Park, is being further developed as a wetlands as part of Project Brays. It's already protected as one through there, but now one side of it is being meticulously graded and planted as one. The jogging track, which is one of the nicer ones in the city, will be even nicer soon.

That's great news.

When you include Mason Park Estates, Pecan Park, Country Club Estates and Forest Hill, that entire area is very underrated, and I agree that with further redevelopment east of downtown, through the warehouse district and into the East End, you could have a charming series of neighborhoods almost on the same level as those that extend west of downtown as well as in the Heights.

That's great news.

When you include Mason Park Estates, Pecan Park, Country Club Estates and Forest Hill, that entire area is very underrated, and I agree that with further redevelopment east of downtown, through the warehouse district and into the East End, you could have a charming series of neighborhoods almost on the same level as those that extend west of downtown as well as in the Heights.

I bought a house in Simms Woods subdivision which is adajacent to Houston Country Club Place. The longtime residents I have met say that HCCP and Idylwood were always nice because they were separated from the rundown subdivisions to the north laid out on the exsiting city grid along Harrisburg Road and Navigation Boulevard by their self-contained street patterns and also because large blocks of land nearby are off limits to incompatible development (Gus Wortham Golf Course, Villa de Matel Nunnery and Woodlawn Cemetary). They also have active civic clubs that try to enforce deed restrictions.

Idylwood is by far the nicest subdivision in the area and is now starting to see new development. A handful of dreadful new McMansions are replacing the original brick bungalows.

There is actually a fair amount of activity in the East End now. There is a new commercial strip being done up with a Latin theme called "Tlaquepaque Marketplace" that was written up in the Chronicle on 31 December 2004. Also a new park where Sgt. Macario Garcia Drive (aka Wayside Drive) crosses the ship channel is now past the planning stage and ready for construction since the city bought the acreage from the Trust for Public Land (Chronicle, 9 December 2004).

There is also the plan by the architecture firm Rey De La Reza to "redevelop" the entrances to the East End. This firm, you will remember, was responsible for the amusing red balls on the new bridges over the Southwest Freeway where it slices through Montrose.

Joining a bit late on the Idlewood conversation, I was just recently there, and it seems like they're already doing the "McMansions" deal going on. I've already seen 3 of them put in the brief drive through I did a couple of weeks or so.

Ricco

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I spent a few hours riding around the East End and got to check out the Pineview Place, Country Club Place, and Idylwood subdivisions. Overall it seems there are some really nice but not well known neighborhoods. It's easy to see this area booming next. Thanks to Danax and Hizzy for pointing these out.

Bhk mentions a plan to redevelop the "entrances" to the East End. Does anyone have any information on this, or what are considered the "entrances"? Sounds like it would be a great project to give the area some identity.

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned a fully updated home in Idylwood for a few years now. I agree that its boundaries (Bayou/cemetary, Lawndale, Wayside, Villa deMatel convent) have kept it isolated. That isolation served the neighborhood well during the 'bad years,' but unfortunately it has also allowed Idylwood to prosper at a greater rate than other nearby neighborhoods, leaving them somewhat behind. People who move into the area purchase because they loved the beauty of the homes, the hills, etc, not because of the proximity of retail or other businesses.

There is a desperate need for more retail that appeals to young professionals. Until this happens, Heights and Montrose will keep the lead on price/sq ft.

Travelguy_73

http://www/idylwood-houston.org

There is a desperate need for more retail that appeals to young professionals.  Until this happens, Heights and Montrose will keep the lead on price/sq ft.

LOL. You want your property taxes to skyrocket? The reason the Heights and Montrose have such high prices psf are for basically the same reasons....teardowns.

The Heights has seen a bunch of teardowns with 3-4k sqft replacements in the deed restricted areas, and high density development in the non restricted areas.

Montrose has tons and tons of multi family rental, condos, townhouses, which were begat by teardowns.

I, personally, wouldn't like to see Idylwood turn into teardown central, but it could very well do so as the rest of the surrounding area becomes better and better.

That is one fortunate thing about that area, the lack of "Mcmansionism". (Did I just make up a word?) I guess this is the reason personally I have found the near East end appealing. Despite the rough around the edges characteristics of many of the areas, (not Idylwood though), and the shortage of retail outside of Gulfgate, the neighborhoods are more intact. Cottage neighborhoods like Idylwood & Houston Country Club & Simms Woods, with few exceptions so far, remain cottage neighborhoods. Mid-century one story neighborhoods like Glenbrook Valley & Meadowbrook remain generally long low one story homes. These areas have seen some dreadfully boring red-brick type faux Georgians come in, but so far it is still small enough in number not to destroy the character of the neighborhoods, for now.

Idylwood, unlike Montrose and a great portion of the Heights, does have deed restrictions which are enforced. That will at least keep it from being paved over in townhomes. Hopefully there are set back and height restrictions which will help maintain the character of the neighborhood, which currently is absolutely wonderful.

If anyone has not had the opportunity to explore Idylwood, I highly recommend a drive through the area. It's a great looking place.

Idylwood's deed restrictions limits the size of lots and what can be placed on them (single family only), so there won't be any subdividing assuming the minimum lot size is maintained. There are firm setback restrictions, though I'm not aware of height restrictions.

The two brand new homes that are in the neighborhood came from a very large lot that was divided into smaller lots when the original owners passed away, much to the chagrin of the immediate neighbors I'm sure, but still within the confines of the restrictions. The restrictions are currently being updated, and though they will still be much more lax than the suburbs (no ACCs or anything like that), they will probably be a model for other East End 'hoods.

As for increased property taxes...while my pocketbook doesn't like them, they are a fact of life in gentrified inner city neighborhoods. You take the good (higher selling price) with the bad.

Travelguy_73

• 2 weeks later...
I adore Idylwood.  It's what is immediately surrounding it that I don't adore.  However, when I drive through it, I feel almost as if I am in a different state entirely.  Rolling hills in Houston?  :blink: Whodathunkit?

Plenty of rolling hills around..... Glynwood Cemetary has 'em, as well as some beautiful landscaping. Forest Hill (near Idylwood) also has some gorgeous hills.

• 4 weeks later...
One problem with Idylwood is that too many people went it there with the intention of buying then selling for a large profit.  the numerous real estate agents inflated prices for a few years and were making the bucks.  Last year prices fell there over 10% and from what i heard large profits are gone.  houses there are just as old as the rest of the eastside and many of them need just as much work.  i had a HARD time even thinking about paying such inflated prices for a home that doesn't have enough closet space.  Stay away from houses near Braes as those flood.

Higher taxes do NOT result in an increased selling price esp when prices are already over inflated. 

What i thought was funny, my parents lived there for years until recently.  When Idylwood began the process of updating restrictions, they wanted to be VERY strict however many of the residents were against the restrictions so they didn't sign. 

As a result the civic club had to change them or not have neighborhood support.  My parents complained for years about the number of parked cars.  Many of the homes only have single width driveways which at times causes problems so cars park on streets.  But now under the new restrictions, garage apartmens are allowed which only makes the problem worse as now more cars will be in the neighborhood.  Even though they say single family, people are renting out space left and right which is in violation of deed restrictions. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but these are only half-truths. Yes there are definitely people who moved into the area looking to make quick profits, but for the most part that isn't the case as people move into the area to actually set up a home and live in it. And yes, while many homes in the neighborhood need a lot of work, they are also priced significantly less than those in very good shape. Which beings me to my next point: It is very simplistic to compare a 10% decrease in market value year-over-year and say that values are declining. In old neighborhoods it is all about the quality of housing stock. The majority of homes that sold last year where not remodeled (or were badly remodeled) and so in need of quite a bit of work to bring them to standard. That was reflected in their selling price. In old neighborhoods you have to compare comparables.

And Idylwood homes not having enough closet space? I'm confused. You do realize these are 30's and 40's-era homes, right? Many homes still have one bathroom too! :D

Finally, the deed restrictions aren't yet fully approved, though there is no reason to think they won't be as support from the majority of homes is strong. Garage apartments are OK, just as long as they aren't rented out--single family only. No parking on the lawn, but parking in the street is fine as the streets are public and can't be regulated. And I'm not sure what you mean about the old round of restrictions being too strict. There was no previous round, only surveys to see what people were interested in seeing in the new restrictions. The new restrictions are on their website at http://www.idylwood-houston.org

No bubble was burst.  Averages are at the minimum, a barometer.  There are always homes that sell for more and those that sell for less than the average.  But when the average goes down, so has the selling price, in general.  I"m not saying you can't make more, it's just that that likelyhood of making more has gone down.

Sounds to me like someone has their house on the market with the references to higher property taxes result in higher resale, etc.  My parents told me that they recently drove by their old place in Idylwood and were surprised how many homes were for sale there.  She said a couple were on the market before they sold and are still on the market. 

Individual properties that are overpriced don't sell--they don't sell in any neighborhood in the city, actually. There are homes that stay on the market forever it seems, and there are a few here. But the funny thing about those homes is, well, there is a reason they are still for sale. Until you go inside them, or actually take the time to ask "why?" (bad location, flood risk, bad remodel, estate sale?) then of course all you have are stats (days on market, price/sq ft). It usually pays to be a little more informed. A quick search on HAR showed 11 single family and 1 multi-family properties on the market (or 4% of the total home in the neighborhood), and two of those have a pending sale. In my experience there are always around 13 -15 homes for sale at any particular time, of course adjusted for seasonality.

And no my house is not on the market, but like many people on this board, I follow real estate as a hobby. And, like many people on this board, I get irritated when people spout stats as gospel.

Idylwood is strong & sells well. If anyone in there thinks they need to sell their home for 10% less than it was worth last year, please let me know, I could line up a lot of buyers!! :P

The first quarter of 2004 three homes sold in Idylwood, so far this year 6 have closed, three of those sold in less than 10 days. A couple more are pending. Overall market activity in Idylwood is increasing, not stagnating. In fact, while Idylwood is a better bargain than the Heights & others, I wouldn't exactly call it undiscovered either.

If anyone in there thinks they need to sell their home for 10% less than it was worth last year, please let me know, I could line up a lot of buyers!! :P

I only said average sale price went down 10% per HCAD sales data not that they are selling them for 10% less than they are worth. The Chronicle does their yearly summary which should be out soon.

On another note, I was biking nearer to downtown and UrbanLiving had a "new" looking house on Bryan street, right off of Sherman. It really was surprising see this structure in the middle of all the old houses. I looked inside and saw new sheetrock, etc. However, the light fixtures were HORRIBLE. Right out of home depot. After researching on HAR, it said the house was restored. The ones i were with also thought it was a bad restoration. And the price......177k.

The MetroRail is supposed to run down Harrisburg to the Magnolia Transit Center then down 75th/Garland to Gulfgate TC, which is currently under construction.

An update on this. I met with several METRO board members regarding the east side line. It seems the developers are now pushing for the line to be on Navigation instead of Harrisburg. They want to develop the area north of Navigation for homes...get this, with boat slips. We'll see what happens in the future with this.

On another note, I was biking nearer to downtown and UrbanLiving had a "new" looking house on Bryan street, right off of Sherman.  It really was surprising see this structure in the middle of all the old houses.  I looked inside and saw new sheetrock, etc.  However, the light fixtures were HORRIBLE.  Right out of home depot.  After researching on HAR, it said the house was restored.  The ones i were with also thought it was a bad restoration.  And the price......177k.

From the picture on HAR (MLS 4015096), this house looks very nice and I would be inclined to look further. Is this offically Eastwood, or just Eastwood-area? I have been in a number of Idylwood, Heights, and Montrose homes and am always saddened when they aren't remodeled to suit the era they were built. Not that everything needs to come out of the Rejunivations catalog, LOL, but there should be some homage paid to the original style while bringing the overall feel into this century. Of course it is their home and they can remodel how they choose, but generally resale *will* suffer. If I wanted something that looked brand new (basic moldings, carpet over hardwoods), I would buy new!

From the picture on HAR (MLS 4015096), this house looks very nice and I would be inclined to look further.  Is this offically Eastwood, or just Eastwood-area?  I have been in a number of Idylwood, Heights, and Montrose homes and am always saddened when they aren't remodeled to suit the era they were built.  Not that everything needs to come out of the Rejunivations catalog, LOL, but there should be some homage paid to the original style while bringing the overall feel into this century.  Of course it is their home and they can remodel how they choose, but generally resale *will* suffer. 

You COULD look further however when you'll see it, you'll say that the craftsmanship is poor. The plugs were cockeyed, the front columns looked as if they were hurriedly crafted, even the wood floors looked mediocre. Nearby some of the neighborhood has big yards but this one was small but they did put in a new driveway. No this isn't Eastwood but is VERY close. I will add that several of the houses were just as stately as Eastwood. They would just need some TLC.

I agree with your comment about paying homage to the original style. TOO many homes have been butchered on the east side. Make shift addons with flat roofs, replacing a classic front door with something tacky, etc. I know my back porch is a bad addon, however i like sitting there when the rain is coming down.

My house was originally shiplapped with wallpaper over it. When they put up sheetrock, a lot of the original moulding was removed. But luckily Montalbano lumber had the match to the original. The children of the original owner can't believe it's the same house.

My bathroom was HORRIBLE. I did keep the original tub and toilet but i found a matching pedestal sink which works well. It's simple but i'm happy. I put a tiled floor with a cultured marble tub surround. I decided to use the marble cause I've noticed too many of these old houses where the bathrooms are ruined cause of water damage around the tub. Since the pier and beam houses shift so much...tile is always compromised.

When i saw the nob and tube mess in my attic, i decided to redo ALL the electrical for safety's sake. As a result i also decided to splurge on fixtures. I actually did use Rejuvenation in my dining room cause i found that i liked the 1930's design. My bathroom one is really modern but people think it goes well with the rest of the room.

The smartest thing i did was hire out the floors. I've received many compliments on the job.

The original owner had some great classic plants, gardenia, amaryllis, roses, etc. I just need to get that all together. I had several landscape people come over but all they bring is decorative grasses, bushes and hacked crepe myrtles which i can't stand. I prefer the classic plants.

I will say that i don't have it all together yet, but it is at least liveable now.

Just wish i had MORE wall space so i can hang all my favorite artwork and collections. :)

I only said average sale price went down 10% per HCAD sales data not that they are selling them for 10% less than they are worth.  The Chronicle does their yearly summary which should be out soon.

On another note, I was biking nearer to downtown and UrbanLiving had a "new" looking house on Bryan street, right off of Sherman.  It really was surprising see this structure in the middle of all the old houses.  I looked inside and saw new sheetrock, etc.  However, the light fixtures were HORRIBLE.  Right out of home depot.  After researching on HAR, it said the house was restored.  The ones i were with also thought it was a bad restoration.  And the price......177k.

the subdivision price trend data listed on HAR is supplied by Crawford Realty Advisors and refers to median appraised value, not sales.

Running the reports on actual sales for Idylwood, 2003 had a median of $101.74 psf, while 2004 had a median of $116.02 psf

What 'hoods would you consider undiscovered?

well, IMHO, that would be pretty limited to southeast. It's pretty limited period. North, west, southwest is pretty much stuff everybody knows about already. Garden Villas is one area, (southeast). Some of the homes are from the 30's. Huge lots, very rural feel. Pecan trees canopy the streets and most of the lawns. Some sections to the south are not that nice, but Haywood and Simms streets have some really nice homes that would appeal to people who don't want to llive in a subdivision. Most people in Houston still have no idea about Glenbrook Valley. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this board alone who have been to Hobby a thousand times but were surprised the first time they drove through the hilly streets next to Sims Bayou. Meadowcreek Village has some incredible homes too.

Just a few years ago I would have included Lindale Park, Eastwood, & Idylwood, but I think the word is definitely out on those areas.

the subdivision price trend data listed on HAR is supplied by Crawford Realty Advisors and refers to median appraised value, not sales. 

Running the reports on actual sales for Idylwood, 2003 had a median of $101.74 psf, while 2004 had a median of $116.02 psf

Must be a realtor...........trying ot make a sale.

Archived