The Orange Show At 2401 Munger St.

Hiy'all.

I've been in the past a long time volunteer for the Art Car parade here in Houston.. have known and still know many Orange Car employees and volunteers, along with skaters..

The earliest I remember partying at the O-Show was, maybe 1983 seeing some avante gard band, I believe called something like Conceptual Objects of Sound or something like this.

I've been to several parties there in the late 80's - early 90's, complete with live music, and have been to 2 weddings, and have taken my sister's kids there when they were little.

Anyone remember when they started renovating Jeff McKissick's (sp?) former "beauty parlor"?

I grew up on Munger street but the continueing Munger street across the freeway on Dumble.

However, I recall as a teenager around 1975 skipping school one day and walking over there with some other buddies jumping over the weird rail and checking out the place. I clearly recall ripping my big Levi bellbottoms on the fence. It was always so mysterious to us neighborhood kids. The place was overgrown with weeds and piles of trash you couldnt tell what the hell it was supposed to be? During the early 80's someone decided to clean it up and reopen, ever since it has gained popularity, art cars and all.

At least I can say we used to know about it before it became world known. Trust me it's no big deal. Maybe because I knew it when it was just a eye sore to the area. Cheers! :lol:

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Thanks 1

I grew up close to Orange Show. I went to Jackson Junior High and Austin High School. My mom's route for taking us to school went down Munger to the Gulf Freeway past the Orange show, so I watched it being built from it's inception and beginnings as walls of cinder blocks. As a 15-17 year old (1970-72) I also rode my bicycle down Munger on the way to a friend's house. I stopped a few times to talk to Mr. McKissak. I don't remember him saying anything about Oranges at the time. From what I remember, he thought he was building an amusement park type attraction. I think the Orange thing must have come later. I was certainly surprised when the place gained such popularity.

• Like 1

I grew up close to Orange Show. I went to Jackson Junior High and Austin High School. My mom's route for taking us to school went down Munger to the Gulf Freeway past the Orange show, so I watched it being built from it's inception and beginnings as walls of cinder blocks. As a 15-17 year old (1970-72) I also rode my bicycle down Munger on the way to a friend's house. I stopped a few times to talk to Mr. McKissak. I don't remember him saying anything about Oranges at the time. From what I remember, he thought he was building an amusement park type attraction. I think the Orange thing must have come later. I was certainly surprised when the place gained such popularity.

I work with a guy who volunteers at the orange show events all the time. He's always collecting stuff to make the trophys out of and I laugh so hard when he brings me photos of them.

I work with a guy who volunteers at the orange show events all the time. He's always collecting stuff to make the trophys out of and I laugh so hard when he brings me photos of them.

Yeah, I am thinking of revisiting and volunteering for future art car parades. I think one of the most hilarious ones was the guy driving around in a huge Ladies Pump/shoe. Talk about creative!

oshow.gif

they also give some very interesting eyeopener tours of homes in the area and all around the country. i'm thinking about going to one on april 15 where they tour some artists' studios, including the ones in acres homes. i've been on a several of these in the past and enjoy them quite a bit. some people's collections are amazing. eyeopener tours 2007

• Thanks 1

mckissack continuously built the orange show from the mid-fifties until he died (1980). a group got together (led by marilyn oshman) and after two years of restoration, it opened to the public and the organization was created.

just a couple weeks ago was the annual post-yearly-restoration opening party, and the new National Register plaque was unveiled (yay!)

Edited by sevfiv
  • Like 1

mckissack continuously built the orange show from the mid-fifties until he died (1980). a group got together (led by marilyn oshman) and after two years of restoration, it opened to the public and the organization was created.

just a couple weeks ago was the annual post-yearly-restoration opening party, and the new National Register plaque was unveiled (yay!)

"mckissack continuously built the orange show from the mid-fifties until he died"

I don't think so. He might have been assembling the materials since the mid-fifties, but I don't think he even owned that property until the mid-late-sixties. I remember that as an empty field before he started erecting his vision. I think in 1967 it was still just an empty field.

perhaps...the web site doesn't elaborate, either:

Houston postman Jeff McKissack created The Orange Show in honor of his favorite fruit and illustrate his belief that longevity results from hard work and good nutrition. Working in isolation from 1956 until his death in 1980, McKissack used common building materials and found objects — bricks, tiles, fencing, farm implements — to transform an East End lot into an architectural maze of walkways, balconies, arenas and exhibits decorated with mosaics and brightly painted iron figures.

http://www.orangeshow.org/orange_history.html

Edited by sevfiv

perhaps...the web site doesn't elaborate, either:

Houston postman Jeff McKissack created The Orange Show in honor of his favorite fruit and illustrate his belief that longevity results from hard work and good nutrition. Working in isolation from 1956 until his death in 1980, McKissack used common building materials and found objects

Edited by isuredid

• 9 months later...

The Orange Show announced the new Executive Director (past ED Susanne left for Disco Green):

The Orange Show Center for Visionary Art has named Robin Koch Howard as its new executive director, following an extensive national search.

Howard, who is a native Houstonian, will oversee management of all the Orange Show operations and programming for the Orange Show, the Art Car Parade, the Beer Can House, Eyeopener Tours and various youth education initiatives.

"Robin is an amazing addition to our team," said Orange Show board president Jackie Wallace. "Her unique background in multiple disciplines including education, the arts, fundraising and business make her an ideal fit for The Orange Show.

"Plus, her 'can-do' spirit will help further the Orange Show's mission of bringing out the artist in everyone."

Howard previously served as interim vice president and director of principal gifts for DePelchin Children's Center. She also served as director of planned giving for The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/eas...ws/5474487.html

and planted in another hidden secret Houston neighborhood. Please yuppies move here too! Houses are a give-a-way. 1-2 blocks from 45 frwy and 5 minutes from downtown! Gotta love it! :D

no I'm not a realtor either. Just want good neighbors.

Edited by Vertigo58

• 13 years later...
2 hours ago, Fortune said:

Is there an issue with parking at this venue? I was riding around in this neighborhood a couple of months ago and I noticed that a lot of the residences had signs in their yards advising no parking.

If it isn't an official City of Houston sign, it has no effect. A sign in a yard would be more "We don't want you parking here because it offends our sensibilities".

• Like 4

• The title was changed to The Orange Show At 2401 Munger St.
  • 3 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 3:58 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

https://www.houstoniamag.com/arts-and-culture/2023/10/houston-orange-show-expansion

Should this be moved to Going Up?

Target completion: 2026-2027

More info in February

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

David Best leaves Houston this week as he arrived from California late last month, driving a brightly striped vehicle topped by a life-sized plastic horse painted safety orange. But Best, a sculptural artist, is leaving something behind after last weekend’s Art Car Parade. 

Renowned for his intricately designed, ephemeral wooden structures, Best, his Temple Crew, and a team of volunteers have constructed his first temple in Texas over the past two weeks. The Houston Temple was unveiled on April 12, the day after the Art Car Parade, where Best's Orange Horse was one of three first place winners. Admittedly, “unveiled” is a bit of a misnomer: The temple extends far into the sky in the Gulfgate/Pine Valley area near East End. There is no veiling it.

On view through Nov. 6 at The Orange Show World HQ, 2334 Gulf Terminal Drive.

Houston Temple will remain on the Orange Show campus through November 6, at which point it will meet the same end as the nine temples Best has designed for the Burning Man festival — a week-long desert-set art and community event founded in 1986 — as well as others around the world: It’ll be burned to the ground, part of a healing ritual.

https://orangeshow.org

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/art_exhibits/article/david-best-orange-show-19406607.php

My pics taken today.

Le0bff7.jpeg

pV3oBMx.jpeg

2pGNIR5.jpeg

w4YJ8bK.jpeg

nSQXuOi.jpeg

KUC0Y4S.jpeg

WXwAfcb.jpeg

FUjsUAw.jpeg

nuoky72.jpeg

g43AtHh.jpeg

faYGVad.jpeg