The Murder Of Joan Robinson Hill

Vertigo58

Wow, I did not know that the Robinson's moved to Pensacola. It kind of makes sense now, because I (briefly) dated a gal from a prominent family in Pensacola. This girl was definitely out of my league, and social circle, but she was quite rebellious at the time. She was an avid horse rider herself, competing in charity shows in Pensacola and New Orleans. She also claimed her family "The Firestone's" were friends with the "Robinson's" and visited among themselves.

I guess it's true what they say, "birds of a feather flock together".

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have found the son of Dr. John Hill. The Maryland prosecutor is Robert "Boot" Hill. He lives and works quietly, and refuses all requests for interviews. He's put out the word that he will not talk publicly about the murder case, his family or his life. That doesn't leave much to talk about with him, and I say bully for him.

You may or may not be surprised to know that this story has been talked to death several times over on another thread, which by some coincidence, was posted and bumped to the top only minutes before your posting.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=10315

Check out that thread. It's very long, several hundred postings, but you will learn everything there is to know about the John Hill saga. A lot of people contributed their knowledge of the case to that thread.

I have been obsessed with this story at various times of my life as well. I've read Blood & Money twice, and am the proud owner of a very old vintage hardcover. I went on ebay a few years ago and got a copy of the movie "Murder in Texas" with Farrah Fawcett, Andy Griffith.... I love it! There are some funny things about the movie, i.e. they show City Hall and refer to it as the Medical Center. The movie is on two vhs tapes, and not the best recording, but it is still entertaining. Since it was a t.v. movie, I doubt if it ever made it to dvd.

I tell anyone who first moves to Houston to read Blood & Money. It gives so much good history of our city, starting with the 50's and into our boom of the 60's. It helped me understand why the rest of the country is so jealous of our prosperity. And, of course, the story is fascinating!

This thread has been fascinating! I have been obsessed with this story for 30 years. I first read Blood & Money in high school. A few years ago, I tracked down my own hardcover vintage copy, and have read it again. I've also bought it for several friends (one of whom is an aspiring law student who is fascinated with Racehorse Haynes). I didn't see any mention of Racehorse in this thread. Does anyone recall that the John Hill murder case is the one which really launched his career?

If anyone is up for this (and I could be breaking HAIF rules by suggesting) - I have the videos of Murder in Texas. I got them off ebay a few years ago. I live in downtown at the Rice and we have a party room that has a huge television. I'd be happy to host a Murder in Texas party (complete with pastries - kidding!). Someone would have to bring a vcr and know how to hook it up, but I've got the movie. I am not techy and haven't invested in plasma or HD. My television in my apt. is tv/dvd/vcr all in one (easy), but I wouldn't be able to move it to the party room, which is on the 2nd floor of the building.

Let me know if there is interest, and we'll figure out a date for me to reserve the party room. An evening night, i.e. Tues or Thurs would be best. It's hard to reserve the room on weekends.

If anyone is up for this (and I could be breaking HAIF rules by suggesting) - I have the videos of Murder in Texas. I got them off ebay a few years ago. I live in downtown at the Rice and we have a party room that has a huge television. I'd be happy to host a Murder in Texas party (complete with pastries - kidding!). Someone would have to bring a vcr and know how to hook it up, but I've got the movie.

As wild as it sounds its actually not a bad idea. Just hide all sharp objects. :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, when this was show the first time on the tele, there was a part one one evening then they left you in suspense so you would have to see the second half the next night. Torment.

• 2 weeks later...

So I recall some criticism above (see posts 84-89) of the "society" Halloween party last year at the Hill house. I'd characterize it more as a charity fundraiser (raising money for Habitat for Humanity) than a society party. Regardless, the party is happening again this year (10/24) and, if you're interested in attending, you can buy tickets here. Those of you on Facebook (and maybe others - I don't know) can get more info here.

• 2 weeks later...
Yikes, I thought I was the only person "obsessed" with this crime. It was the first true crime story that got me interested in forensics, medicine, etc. But my question is what happened to Ann Kurth? She said that after only three weeks of being married to John Hill that he "confessed" that he killed Joan? Under what circumstances? I saw the movie "Murder in Texas", read her book, "Prescription, Murder" and was under the impression that she believes that John Hill was still alive after he was supposedly killed after carrying a large sum of cash to pay his lawyer. Well, that's the way the movie ended, anyway ... drama queen, maybe? I don't know but that's what has kept me interested in this case. I was in Houston in 1993 and went past Ash Robinson's house (it was painted white???) and the Hills' mansion on Kirby & Brentwood ~ even took pictures. They should open it up as a museum and charge money to see the 'music room' because in both books (Tommy Thompson's "Blood & Money" and Ann Kurth's book) they talk about it as if it were a palace. When I saw the house it didn't have a detached garage ... the garage was on the 'Brentwood' side of the address. The house wasn't as big as most of the River Oaks mansions (speaking of 'River Oaks mansions', does anyone know where 'Terms of Endearment' was filmed??? They speak of 'River Oaks' in the film ... I know it's off topic ~ just wondering).

From what was reported, it seems like John Hill wanted his wife to die. Whether he caused it or not is still speculation (can you tell I work for lawyers???). But, if Joan Hill (by the way, whomever found those photos, thank you. She was a beautiful woman ...) was really so sick and her husband was a doctor, he would have done whatever it took to make her well ... he took her to 'Sharpstown' hospital??? When he had access to the best of the best in the nation for health care???? He was definitely guilty of not giving her the best treatment or negligence ... but how did she get so sick? She was supposedly a very healthy woman? How did she get as sick as she did enough to DIE??? John Hill certainly had motive and opportunity. The one thing in the book that really made me mad was that when Ann Kurth was cross-examined about the incident of John Hill growing bacteria, that they questioned her knowledge of a 'petri dish'. She was a nurse, wasn't she? And after taking biology in high school, I EVEN know what a petri dish is. So it's not something that is uncommon for the common person to know ...

Would be very happy to talk to anyone PM about this case. It still fascinates me.

Kiekie

Kiekie, This is my first post on this forum. I feel the same way that you do in that I thought I was the only one obsessed with this case. Glad to know there are others. I now live in PA but lived in Houston from 83 through 93. At one point when I first moved there, I worked in the River Oaks area. My friend and I decided to have a day where we just explored all of the areas, or as many as possible, pertaining to this case. We saw Joan's house, Ash's house, went to the pharmacy where Dr. Hill possibly bought someting to induce vomiting, we went to the grave too and just did all kinds of weird things since I was so into this case. i have pictures of me at the grave and it did not have a tree growing on it at that time but that has been at least 15 years ago. Anyhow, just wanted to respond to this. I just signed up in order to do so! I have been "homesick" for Houston lately due to it being on the news because of Ike. Hope all of you who live there are OK. My thoughts are often of Houston and of this case too.

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...
Kiekie, This is my first post on this forum. I feel the same way that you do in that I thought I was the only one obsessed with this case. Glad to know there are others. I now live in PA but lived in Houston from 83 through 93. At one point when I first moved there, I worked in the River Oaks area. My friend and I decided to have a day where we just explored all of the areas, or as many as possible, pertaining to this case. We saw Joan's house, Ash's house, went to the pharmacy where Dr. Hill possibly bought someting to induce vomiting, we went to the grave too and just did all kinds of weird things since I was so into this case. i have pictures of me at the grave and it did not have a tree growing on it at that time but that has been at least 15 years ago. Anyhow, just wanted to respond to this. I just signed up in order to do so! I have been "homesick" for Houston lately due to it being on the news because of Ike. Hope all of you who live there are OK. My thoughts are often of Houston and of this case too.

Lisa

Ok... I too have been simply fascinated with this case and its participants. I first read about the case as a 10 year old when I sneaked into a Cosmo and read the snippets of "Blood and Money". As I recall, they had other additional pictures that were not included in the book. I've read the book as a teenager and again as an adult, and I've visited most of the sites involved (grave, both houses on Kirby, etc.) As an aside, Ash's house was a really nice, mid century home. It was likely quite modern and innovative at the time, and I think was red brick. It now looks ultra modern...all white with dark windows. It doesn't look a thing like the original after it was redone. I've always wanted to see inside the Hill house and see the music room. I clicked on the real estate photos, but they don't seem to still be active (although I could have done it incorrectly). Does anyone have the photos that could share? Finally, I would buy the ticket and go to the Halloween benefit, but I'm out of town that weekend. I hope they continue so I can attend! Does anyone have pics or know if you can actually see inside the entire home?

Thanks to all that included original pictures and newspaper articles. It is fascinating, and I'm glad to have found my way to this commentary.

I have a very close relative who picked the dress that Joan Robinson was buried in; they were good

friends and went to Stephens College together.

She was positive that Hill killed her friend - and I completely believe her.

John Hill was a very clever, very spoiled mama's boy. He spent $ like a drunken sailor.

I also don't buy the "just a burglary" story. Long before her murder, Mr. Ash Robinson HATED Hill and did not trust him.

Money was one reason, but his treatment of Joan irked him a great deal. When Hill was killed, Mr. Robinson was already

an old man and his major reason for living -his beautiful talented daughter- was taken from him. He knew exactly what

to do, and I'm glad he got his revenge.

There has not been a photo posted that does justice to what a knockout Joan Robinson was - movie star material!

I have a very close relative who picked the dress that Joan Robinson was buried in; they were good

friends and went to Stephens College together.

She was positive that Hill killed her friend - and I completely believe her.

John Hill was a very clever, very spoiled mama's boy. He spent $ like a drunken sailor.

I also don't buy the "just a burglary" story. Long before her murder, Mr. Ash Robinson HATED Hill and did not trust him.

Money was one reason, but his treatment of Joan irked him a great deal. When Hill was killed, Mr. Robinson was already

an old man and his major reason for living -his beautiful talented daughter- was taken from him. He knew exactly what

to do, and I'm glad he got his revenge.

There has not been a photo posted that does justice to what a knockout Joan Robinson was - movie star material!

I too am convinced of your statements above. Spoiled, rich, momma's boy in fact. :angry:

The TV film was an event for us as well. Gotta see again, its been eons. The actor that plays him hits it perfectly. A true scoundral in every sense of the word. Santo cielo!

• 1 month later...
I too am convinced of your statements above. Spoiled, rich, momma's boy in fact. :angry:

The TV film was an event for us as well. Gotta see again, its been eons. The actor that plays him hits it perfectly. A true scoundral in every sense of the word. Santo cielo!

If you mean the movie "Murder In Texas" is was Sam Elliot who played John Hill... he did do a good job!

My best friend and I were in the River Oaks area last summer; we went by the (former) Hill house and it was very strange. We thought the neighboring houses were very classic and "open" despite being on such a busy (Kirby) street, but the Hill house was really closed off, the tall hedges in front and tall iron gates give it a really ominous look... even if you didn't know something sad had happened there. Later, we found this thread and read the story of the current residents who had the Halloween Party with people dressed as Joan and Dr. John... wow, even we "California girls" were offended at such bad taste! And we also saw Ash's home further down Kirby, which I understand has been remodeled and is completely different than it looked when the Robinson's lived there. The really amazing thing to us was how the thread photos of the inside of the Hill house, especially the "music room" are so opulent, but when you drive down Brentwood and see the room over the garage (where, according to "Blood and Money" the music room was located) is looks small and nothing more than a storage space. We also thought the "eternal flame" outdoor lights were a little over the top and creepy in the middle of a summer afternoon! If you have a chance to drive by sometime, its really something to see... might send a chill up your spine.

I wish Dominick Dunne would profile this story! Oh, and there is a short news archive from CBS news from the early 1980's I have seen that shows "Boot" and Connie (3rd Mrs. Hill) and has an interesting interview with Joan's friend Dottie who was a nurse. Its worth borrowing from Vanderbilt (can be found online) News Archives!

I have some photos but they're too large to upload with this entry so I will try again on another entry!

• 1 month later...
Joan Hill kept her horses at the Cyandy Stables which were on S. Gessner close to the bayou. Back then this was beyond the city limits and, more or less out in the country. Houston was a much different place then. The pace was much slower, the city much smaller, and there was still plenty of greenspace even in the inner city.

The name of the stables was actually Chatsworth Farms... stables & grand old plantation style home owned by Ash Robinson and later his personal physician Dr. Howard Seigler (& the father-in-law of the lady prosecutor who recently ran for DA) ...it was on S. Gessner, between Bissonnet & S Braeswood before they tore it down and built a Public Storage where it stood... I learned to ride English saddle there, on Robert Hill's horse Tony... kept my own gift from Dr. Seigler there as well, a dapple grey ex-jumper that Joan had shown, until it was sold to a family (whose daughter I went to STM & SAA with, by strange coincidence) who had it for a few years before selling it to the entity that razed it... spent many a grand time there... and miss it still...

The name of the stables was actually Chatsworth Farms... stables & grand old plantation style home owned by Ash Robinson and later his personal physician Dr. Howard Seigler (& the father-in-law of the lady prosecutor who recently ran for DA) ...it was on S. Gessner, between Bissonnet & S Braeswood before they tore it down and built a Public Storage where it stood... I learned to ride English saddle there, on Robert Hill's horse Tony... kept my own gift from Dr. Seigler there as well, a dapple grey ex-jumper that Joan had shown, until it was sold to a family (whose daughter I went to STM & SAA with, by strange coincidence) who had it for a few years before selling it to the entity that razed it... spent many a grand time there... and miss it still...

cyandy stables was on gessner, and braeswood used to dead end there. i remember driving by it to saa and thinking that is where john hill supposedly ran his second wife off the road per her book prescription murder. it might have been chatsworth at one time, but by the 70's it was cyandy stables.

Wasn't that music 'room' actually supposed to have been an addition to the house?

I believe -- but I'm not a hundred percent certain -- that the famous "music room" was built as a second floor to Hill's detached multi-car garage.

As for the precise sequence of events on the night Hill was shot and killed at his home, my thanks to nm5k for setting me straight on all those details. The result was the same though. Hill was dead dead dead.

I do freelance catering and worked an event at the old Hill's house the other day. I didn't know (the first 30 minutes of being there) that I was in the "River Oaks murder house"...but someone let me in on it soon enough. The music room is upstairs over the garage..it's now set up as more of a 'ballroom' with a piano and small seating area off to one side. It has a mural painted over the entire ceiling (something the new owners added?). It has an exit to one side that leads to a small balcony and huge staircase that will take you to the backyard where the pool is.

Okay..I'm well over a year late with this info, but thought I'd tell it anyway. I'm now (of course) looking up all the stories written about this incident.

• 2 weeks later...
Took a field trip today with my new Rebel, here are some pictures of the house

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krazykimmy/se...57612991659638/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krazykimmy/se...57612990921032/

Thank you for the pictures!

I went to google earth and look at the home but your shots are much better, even though you can go down the street, around the corner and by her parents home.

The home two doors down from her mother's and father's home 1049 Kirby Drive (going toward Joan's) is for sale.

Here is a link and you can go to "Mape It" and hit the areal view...

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I really like the home. I think some of the modern furniture is to much of a good thing but love the clean lines of the interior...

No problem! I am 40, so I don't remember any of this when it happened. I did see the movie and read both books after that. It's a fascinating story.

Reading the thread, I do think the Halloween costumes were a bit over the top .... There was a little grey kitty cat that came out while we were taking pictures, I couldn't help but think how odd, that it was grey, just like the horse.

I wish the weather had been better.

Anyway, enjoy the pics :)

No problem! I am 40, so I don't remember any of this when it happened. I did see the movie and read both books after that. It's a fascinating story.

Reading the thread, I do think the Halloween costumes were a bit over the top .... There was a little grey kitty cat that came out while we were taking pictures, I couldn't help but think how odd, that it was grey, just like the horse.

I wish the weather had been better.

Anyway, enjoy the pics :)

I am 43, about to be 44 so I do not remember her death and all the who ha but I was old enough by the time the book came out and the movie. I am still going to go and re-read it.

I am 43, about to be 44 so I do not remember her death and all the who ha but I was old enough by the time the book came out and the movie. I am still going to go and re-read it.

I do hope you're talking about Blood and Money by Tommy Thompson. That's one of the best reads you will ever see. It set the standard by which all other true-crime docu-books are still measured today.

Forget that trash by Ann Kurth. It's garbage. Which is precisely why Hollywood chose it for a TV movie.

I do hope you're talking about Blood and Money by Tommy Thompson. That's one of the best reads you will ever see. It set the standard by which all other true-crime docu-books are still measured today.

Forget that trash by Ann Kurth. It's garbage. Which is precisely why Hollywood chose it for a TV movie.

Definately! Blood & Money was amazing, such detail, so articulate. I remember watching the movie, then reading Blood & Money, it was years later I read the Kurth book. I always wanted to go by the 'John Hill House', and always thought it was on River Oaks (there is a house that looked a lot like it on River Oaks, before San Felipe), I would always drive by on our way to Chuys.

The actual house, when you are there is kind of creepy, knowing all what went down.

Great thread to whoever started this! I'm going to have to re-read B&M now!

Yes Blood and Money, I read that crap by Ann Kurth and you are right, not worth the paper it was writen on. I read Blood and Money several times but it has been quite a few years.

• 1 month later...
cyandy stables was on gessner, and braeswood used to dead end there. i remember driving by it to saa and thinking that is where john hill supposedly ran his second wife off the road per her book prescription murder. it might have been chatsworth at one time, but by the 70's it was cyandy stables.

I am not quite sure how I ended up on the blog pages for this subject, but I knew Robert A. Hill personally back from 1974 - 1978. I actually dated his best friend for years (and have his child). Robert when I knew him was a very kind and loving person. He was vibrant, but as one could imagine was guarded. When I first met him I actually knew nothing about his families story.

I do remember going over to swim one evening in the pool and we later ended up in the library. The library was painted bright red back then. I was later told that was where in true life Dr. Hill was killed. We use to also go water skiing out at Lake Conroe during the summer.

I never asked Robert about the story out of respect for him and his family. I imagine even now it is probably a painful subject and he would much rather the public leave him alone.

I attended St. Agnes Academy and he attended Strake Jesuit Prep School next door. His best friend that I dated was Maxfield. My friend Linda (now deceased) dated Robert for a while when were in high school.

I have always remembered Robert as a person that was always respectful of others. He was thoughtful and kind. He would go out of his way to help others and make them smile.

I hope he has led and is still leading a life that is full of love and peaceful.

You may be interested to know that Robert Hill is now 46 years old, and he lives on the east coast where he's a prosecuting attorney. He won't talk about the murder case, nor will he reveal where he lives because he wants privacy.

Here's that link to a 1999 story about the Hill saga in the Laredo Times.

http://lmtonline.com/news/archive/0319/pagea6.pdf

So what school did you go to? I went to the all girl school next to his and dated his best friend.

So what school did you go to? I went to the all girl school next to his and dated his best friend.

You talkin' to me? I was never acquainted with the Hill family. I'm only a participant here on this message board who was a local radio news reporter when the Hill murder case was in the news. I've done a considerable amount of Internet research to keep up with where people like Robert Hill are today.

I do hope you hang around and share your Hill family stories with the rest of us. At least, the stories you feel free to tell us.

Okay folks...I had to dig DEEP in the archives to find this...you won't find these photos in Blood and Money or The Chronicle Archives...

The Heartbeats in 1968!

John Hill on tuba!

Denton Cooley on bass!

heartbeats1.jpg

Detail of Hill:

heartbeats1johnhill.jpg

The Heartbeats on stage!

heartbeats2.jpg

Album liner notes

heartbeatslinernotes.jpg

I do remember going over to swim one evening in the pool and we later ended up in the library. The library was painted bright red back then. I was later told that was where in true life Dr. Hill was killed.

That doesn't really make sense, unless the library was by the front door.

He was shot as he was entering the house after pushing his wife out of the way.

I think they found him on the floor right inside the front door if I remember right.

Kind of an entry foyer or something like that. I don't recall anything about a library.

But I'd have to double check the book to refresh myself on it. Been a while since I

read it.

As is the case with many of you here, I am also fascinated with this story. The Joan Hill murder occured my senior year of high school, and many were the times I drove by some of the locations mentioned in the Thompson book.

Sharpstown Hospital was on the outskirts of town, and was more of a country hospital back then. The stables that the Hills owned off of Memorial were actually in a rural area then.

The years have passed, and things have changed. This Houston native has been exiled to Dallas for nearly 30 years now, but I still get homesick. I may pick up my old, worn copy of Blood and Money and give it a read.

One thing I have wondered about over the years is what ever happened to Connie Hill. Does anyone know?

Archived