The Murder Of Joan Robinson Hill

Vertigo58

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might first try using the search button to find out if there is already a topic started.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=10315

Thank you. I did post an inquiry at the site you listed also. I was wanting more precise info so I started a new catagory. The other site has gotten off topic quite a bit but did have information.

I have just read all the info and responses concerning the Robinson Hill Saga. I have always been interested in this story since I first read the Tommy Thompson book. What I would like to know is if anyone has new accurate info on the characters? Such as the date and place of death of Davis Ashton "Ash" Robinson and where he is buried; same for his wife, Rhea Robinson. Also more info on their grandson, Robert Ashton Hill. Also where is Dr. John Hill buried? Also has there been any recent books published about the subject? When did Tommy Thompson die and how?

Sounds like a good story for the show, Power, Privilege, and Justice! Thanking anyone in advance for their response to this inquiry.

I would go to the very beginning or middle of this topic and PM some of those that contributed some great insite into this story. Some people knew close acquaintances or relatives. That to me is more reliable than any book or film. I would hope so anyone, good luck in your quest. :)

• 2 months later...
They tracked down two women, Marcia McKittrick, a prostitute who drove the getaway car, and Lilla Paulus, an acquaintance of Ash Robinson, and even proved that Paulus hired the gunman. But they could never connect the dots and connect Robinson to the shooting. Old Ash covered his tracks very very well.

Just stumbled across this thread and thought I would drop $0.02 into the bucket.

The primary witness against Lilla Paulus was her daughter, Mary Jo. Lilla was one of the last of the old-timey madams here in Houston. She ran a string of cathouses down in Galveston on the old Post Office street. Sweet, loving mother that she was, she turned her daughter out at about age 12 and MJ spent several summers turning tricks in one of her mother's places.

I went to high school with MJ and knew her fairly well. She was a very nice girl. You'd have never known her secret life (at least I didn't). When I discovered Thompson's book and read it for the first time, I nearly died from astonishment when I read MJ's role in all this.

I knew an old Houston cop who claimed John Hill's murder was a robbery gone wrong. Ash Robinson went to Lilla Paulas, who had a lot of underworld contacts in Houston, to get some dirt on Hill that would help send him up in the re-trial of Joan Hill's death. McKittrict was living with Lilla at the time and got the idea that Hill would be a good robbery target. She and Vandiver planned to rob Hill when he got back from Las Vegas because they knew he would have some money on him. It turned on them when Hill tussled with Vandiver and they shot him.

Mary Wood testified against her mother out of spite. Wood was thought to be the daughter of the notorious Houston gambler/racketeer Claude Paulus who had once been married to Lilla and when he died Mary stood to get his estate. But Lilla testified in the civil trial that Claude was not Mary's father and the dough went to Claude's son. Mary settled the score with mom at the Hill trial.

I think a lot of the talk about Lilla Paulas being a madam is exaggerated. She wasn't an angel but she wasn't a madam, either, at least not from what I understand. Louetta Machin was a madam and so was Eliva LaSoya who ran a roadhouse out on Old Highway 90. Claude Paulus ran an illegal gambling club downtown, anyone know the location?

I knew an old Houston cop who claimed John Hill's murder was a robbery gone wrong.

Claude Paulus ran an illegal gambling club downtown, anyone know the location?

Robbery gone wrong is very, very likely. Makes all sense in the world.

Surley someone or org would know the answer to your question about the gambling joint. Thank you for the valuable info.

In the book, Vandiver claims he didn't really intend to go through

with it and kill John Hill.

That was the "plan", but he claims he was going to just rob him,

and to heck with Lilla, and Ash..

But... he then claims that Hill fought him so hard when he opened

the door that he didn't have any choice but to shoot.

So the police theory seems to be pretty close to correct.

Heck, most of the detectives actually kind of liked Vandiver, and

didn't really think he was a hard core killer per say..

He was basically a weak person who got sucked into it for $$$.

At the time, his girlfriend up in the Dallas area was having childbirth/

medical problems, and he needed the money pretty bad to help pay

for it. He wanted money a lot more than he wanted to shoot John Hill.

He claimed if Hill hadn't fought him, he wouldn't have shot him.

Just my 2c worth anyway...

• 3 weeks later...

From today's New York Times 3/22/08:

Rhea Robinson, the mother of a socialite whose death was dramatized in the Tommy Thompson best seller ''Blood and Money,'' died in a hospital here Sunday. She was 86 years old.

Mrs. Robinson's husband was the Houston oilman Davis Ashton Robinson. Their daughter, Joan Robinson Hill, died of an unidentified infection at the age of 38 in March 1969, and her husband, Dr. John Hill, a plastic surgeon, was charged with murdering her by withholding medical care. In September 1972, while awaiting his second trial on those charges - the first had ended in a mistrial - Dr. Hill was shot to death at his Houston home.

In a civil suit filed by Dr. Hill's third wife, his mother and a son of his, Mr. Robinson was accused of hiring the killers as a way of avenging his daughter's death. A jury declined to award damages.

Mr. Robinson died in 1985.

Please see beginning of this topic. The Kirby adress is listed, we were just commenting on the films use of another location for shots of the real house. The original home is still there on Kirby. Lets not get confused sorry, scusi mi'. :P

Lets try to find out how to get the movie. Worth seeing.

From today's New York Times 3/22/08:

Rhea Robinson, the mother of a socialite whose death was dramatized in the Tommy Thompson best seller ''Blood and Money,'' died in a hospital here Sunday. She was 86 years old.

Mrs. Robinson's husband was the Houston oilman Davis Ashton Robinson. Their daughter, Joan Robinson Hill, died of an unidentified infection at the age of 38 in March 1969, and her husband, Dr. John Hill, a plastic surgeon, was charged with murdering her by withholding medical care. In September 1972, while awaiting his second trial on those charges - the first had ended in a mistrial - Dr. Hill was shot to death at his Houston home.

In a civil suit filed by Dr. Hill's third wife, his mother and a son of his, Mr. Robinson was accused of hiring the killers as a way of avenging his daughter's death. A jury declined to award damages.

Mr. Robinson died in 1985.

You need to check again. That article was not from 03/22/08, but from June 23, 1987. If Rhea Robinson just died 3/22/08 she would have been about 107 years old.

Claude Paulus' club was called the Redman's Club, per the book. The book says it was "downtown" - but see Joe Meyer III's postings on this page suggesting that it may (later?) have been "off Norfolk and Kirby."

On Norfolk off Kirby? There's only one place that could have been. A small club about a block off Norfolk and Kirby that's now called The Mucky Duck.

Oh if those walls could talk. :o

• 2 weeks later...
On Norfolk off Kirby? There's only one place that could have been. A small club about a block off Norfolk and Kirby that's now called The Mucky Duck.

Oh if those walls could talk. :o

Yikes, I thought I was the only person "obsessed" with this crime. It was the first true crime story that got me interested in forensics, medicine, etc. But my question is what happened to Ann Kurth? She said that after only three weeks of being married to John Hill that he "confessed" that he killed Joan? Under what circumstances? I saw the movie "Murder in Texas", read her book, "Prescription, Murder" and was under the impression that she believes that John Hill was still alive after he was supposedly killed after carrying a large sum of cash to pay his lawyer. Well, that's the way the movie ended, anyway ... drama queen, maybe? I don't know but that's what has kept me interested in this case. I was in Houston in 1993 and went past Ash Robinson's house (it was painted white???) and the Hills' mansion on Kirby & Brentwood ~ even took pictures. They should open it up as a museum and charge money to see the 'music room' because in both books (Tommy Thompson's "Blood & Money" and Ann Kurth's book) they talk about it as if it were a palace. When I saw the house it didn't have a detached garage ... the garage was on the 'Brentwood' side of the address. The house wasn't as big as most of the River Oaks mansions (speaking of 'River Oaks mansions', does anyone know where 'Terms of Endearment' was filmed??? They speak of 'River Oaks' in the film ... I know it's off topic ~ just wondering).

From what was reported, it seems like John Hill wanted his wife to die. Whether he caused it or not is still speculation (can you tell I work for lawyers???). But, if Joan Hill (by the way, whomever found those photos, thank you. She was a beautiful woman ...) was really so sick and her husband was a doctor, he would have done whatever it took to make her well ... he took her to 'Sharpstown' hospital??? When he had access to the best of the best in the nation for health care???? He was definitely guilty of not giving her the best treatment or negligence ... but how did she get so sick? She was supposedly a very healthy woman? How did she get as sick as she did enough to DIE??? John Hill certainly had motive and opportunity. The one thing in the book that really made me mad was that when Ann Kurth was cross-examined about the incident of John Hill growing bacteria, that they questioned her knowledge of a 'petri dish'. She was a nurse, wasn't she? And after taking biology in high school, I EVEN know what a petri dish is. So it's not something that is uncommon for the common person to know ...

Would be very happy to talk to anyone PM about this case. It still fascinates me.

Kiekie

Yikes, I thought I was the only person "obsessed" with this crime. It was the first true crime story that got me interested in forensics, medicine, etc. But my question is what happened to Ann Kurth? She said that after only three weeks of being married to John Hill that he "confessed" that he killed Joan? Under what circumstances? I saw the movie "Murder in Texas", read her book, "Prescription, Murder" and was under the impression that she believes that John Hill was still alive after he was supposedly killed after carrying a large sum of cash to pay his lawyer. Well, that's the way the movie ended, anyway ... drama queen, maybe? I don't know but that's what has kept me interested in this case. I was in Houston in 1993 and went past Ash Robinson's house (it was painted white???) and the Hills' mansion on Kirby & Brentwood ~ even took pictures. They should open it up as a museum and charge money to see the 'music room' because in both books (Tommy Thompson's "Blood & Money" and Ann Kurth's book) they talk about it as if it were a palace. When I saw the house it didn't have a detached garage ... the garage was on the 'Brentwood' side of the address. The house wasn't as big as most of the River Oaks mansions (speaking of 'River Oaks mansions', does anyone know where 'Terms of Endearment' was filmed??? They speak of 'River Oaks' in the film ... I know it's off topic ~ just wondering).

From what was reported, it seems like John Hill wanted his wife to die. Whether he caused it or not is still speculation (can you tell I work for lawyers???). But, if Joan Hill (by the way, whomever found those photos, thank you. She was a beautiful woman ...) was really so sick and her husband was a doctor, he would have done whatever it took to make her well ... he took her to 'Sharpstown' hospital??? When he had access to the best of the best in the nation for health care???? He was definitely guilty of not giving her the best treatment or negligence ... but how did she get so sick? She was supposedly a very healthy woman? How did she get as sick as she did enough to DIE??? John Hill certainly had motive and opportunity. The one thing in the book that really made me mad was that when Ann Kurth was cross-examined about the incident of John Hill growing bacteria, that they questioned her knowledge of a 'petri dish'. She was a nurse, wasn't she? And after taking biology in high school, I EVEN know what a petri dish is. So it's not something that is uncommon for the common person to know ...

Would be very happy to talk to anyone PM about this case. It still fascinates me.

Kiekie

Wonder if there is any way to request to have the film on TV again? Local Houston TV stations were good about taking request at one time, but that seems like a thing of the past. When originally shown it was like a family event. I still remember all of us gathered around the TV to see it. It was just really fascinating. Anyone know whom to contact to replay? :rolleyes:

I recall mention of Joan Robinson Hill's symptoms being consistent with Toxic Shock Syndrome, a rare, life-threatening bacterial infection that has been most often associated with the use of superabsorbent tampons and occasionally with the use of contraceptive sponges.

I recall mention of Joan Robinson Hill's symptoms being consistent with Toxic Shock Syndrome, a rare, life-threatening bacterial infection that has been most often associated with the use of superabsorbent tampons and occasionally with the use of contraceptive sponges.

Was it ever discovered/confirmed that Joan Robinson Hill used either product? I do remember the toxic-shock scare in the 70's.

Was it ever discovered/confirmed that Joan Robinson Hill used either product? I do remember the toxic-shock scare in the 70's.

I seriously doubt it, because, at that time, no one was aware that it could have been a problem.

Remember Joan Hill "died" in 1969. The term "toxic shock syndrome" was coined in 1978 to identify an especially nasty staphylococcal infection that had been around since the 1920s.

In 1978, Procter and Gamble started marketing a "super absorbent tampon", and two years later in 1980, the first known cases of TSS as we came to know it were reported to the CDC. These illnesses were traced to the womens' use of the super tampon.

TSS as we know it today wasn't known to be a problem in women in 1969, so there was no reason for anyone to wonder if Joan Hill had ever used a tampon or a contraceptive sponge.

... because, at that time, no one was aware that it could have been a problem.

Remember Joan Hill "died" in 1969. The term "toxic shock syndrome" was coined in 1978 to identify an especially nasty staphylococcal infection that had been around since the 1920s.

That's the point: The name, "Toxic Shock Syndrome" was coined in 1969 (although it may have existed at the time), so they couldn't call what she had, "Toxic Shock Syndrome" in 1969.

Her symptoms were indeed consistent with that which was later referred to as "Toxic Shock Syndrome".

The question was, and still is, how did she contract the bacterial infection?

That's the point: The name, "Toxic Shock Syndrome" was coined in 1969 (although it may have existed at the time), so they couldn't call what she had, "Toxic Shock Syndrome" in 1969.

Her symptoms were indeed consistent with that which was later referred to as "Toxic Shock Syndrome". The question was, and still is, how did she contract the bacterial infection?

That was a mystery then and it's still a mystery. I remember there were suspicions that John Hill grew the bacteria in a petri dish and put them in Joan's food. That discussion went on for several weeks because Hill was a doctor after all, and knew all about petri dishes and their uses.

Those suspicions faded away because prosecutors had no way to prove them, and they finally resorted to charging Hill with, essentially, allowing his sick wife to die by not providing medical care or getting medical care for her.

• 1 month later...

No, you are not the only one obsessed with this case! I first read "Blood and Money" when it was serialized in Cosmopolitan magazine back in the 1970's. I was fascinated by the story and waited eagerly for the book to come out. At that time I was a starving graduate student and NEVER splurged on hardback books. But I bought this one. It was the first true crime book I ever read and sparked my interest. Now I have a large collection of true-crime books; my family thinks I have serious problems!

I don't believe John Hill deliberately poisoned Joan via the pastries, but I do believe he saw an opportunity to get rid of her when she was so sick, and took it. He desperately wanted out of the marriage so he could marry Ann Kurth. If he had divorced Joan, he wouldn't have gotten a penny; Ash Robinson would have seen to that. Joan would have kept the house and the music room and gotten a big chunk of alimony and child support. John had left Joan once but, if Thompson's book is to be believed, was "persuaded" to come back by Ash Robinson. He must have felt so trapped and powerless that early spring of 1969 -- and then Joan got sick. As a physician, John would have known that Joan's continuing episodes of vomiting and diarrhea would cause dehydration. I believe he waited as long as possible to take her to the hospital because he hoped she would go into shock and die. He took her to Sharpstown Hospital, a good distance from Kirby Drive, hoping to delay treatment as long as possible. And it worked. By the time Joan received treatment, she was too ill to survive. What started as a probable stomach virus ended in her death.

I'm less fascinated by John Hill's demise because we know who did it, if not why. Never having been to Houston or even Texas, I guess I don't really understand the "old boy network" and how Ash could have John murdered and get away with it. Or why Lilla Paulus would be so vengeful to agree to orchestrate the killing. Why would she have risked her freedom to have someone she didn't even know murdered?

I love the pictures of Joan that someone posted earlier. The paperback version of "Blood and Money" has a few pictures, but the hardback doesn't.

BTW, at a family funeral several years ago, I met some distant cousins who had lived in Houston during the time of Joan and John's respective deaths. When I started asking them if they remembered the story, they looked at me as if I'd sprouted two heads! They said "we didn't pal around with high society people when we lived there." But they admitted to remembering all the talk about Joan's death.

I still think it would be kind of neat to have an update and interview the various actors who played in the film to ask what kind of research they had to do to get into the characters. Hopefully Farah still is in a state of mind to discuss and I think Andy Griffith is still around?

Just need to see the film again, it's been years. :mellow::)

Has anybody ever found these pages before? It has interior photos of 1561 Kirby, including the famed music room. Just click on either of these links, find the photo of the exterior of the house on the top left corner and click where it says "View Photo Gallery."

That music room is really something!

http://www.har.com/HomeValue/dispSoldDetai...p;MLNUM=7046841

http://www.har.com/HomeValue/dispSearch.cf...mp;taxid=738999

• 1 month later...

Wow..glad I found this site. I was a week old when Joan R. Hill's funeral was being held. As a native Houstonian, the story holds significance to me, because my mother shared it with me, as I was growing up. I loved the book "Blood And Money" and have driven past the homes lived in by the families, several times. The home that belonged to Ash has changed the most, outwardly. I can't imagine what spirits lurk in those homes. I have also found that most Houstonians were very closed mouthed about this case. In the late 60s...this case was big like O.J.'s was later on. But people didn't talk about things like this. I also always believed that John killed his wife, and that big poppa took care of things. I feel for Robert, their son "Boots" and read in some article that he was doing well as an adult and totally deserves his privacy. Can't imagine what his life was like. I hope he has found peace. Joan is buried in the same cemetary as my own brother. Houston sure has changed in the last 10 years....so it's NOTHING like it was 38 years ago.

what a walk down memory lane this thread has been. i remember reading blood and money when i was in college and was fascinated by reading about places and streets that i had grown up with. we drove by the cyandy stables everyday to go to high school when gessner was only 2 lanes.

years later i read a case in my estate administration class that discussed lila paulus and asked the professor if it was the same one from the john hill case and she said it was.

does anyone remember how the civil suit that robert filed against ash for wrongful death of his father turned out?

• 3 weeks later...
what a walk down memory lane this thread has been. i remember reading blood and money when i was in college and was fascinated by reading about places and streets that i had grown up with. we drove by the cyandy stables everyday to go to high school when gessner was only 2 lanes.

years later i read a case in my estate administration class that discussed lila paulus and asked the professor if it was the same one from the john hill case and she said it was.

does anyone remember how the civil suit that robert filed against ash for wrongful death of his father turned out?

I read somewhere where the jury awarded him nothing.

She is dead. Don't know the year but she died of cancer in prison. Here's a full summary of the Hill/Robinson saga KHOU did three years ago.

"Dr. John Hill, a Houston plastic surgeon, married Ann Fairchild Kurth in 1969, less than three months after his first wife, socialite Joan Robinson Hill, died of a mysterious, massive infection.

Hill was charged with killing her by intentionally failing to give her proper medical care. He was gunned down at his River Oaks home after his first trial ended in a mistrial as a result of Kurth's testimony. In his book, "Blood and Money ," the late Tommy Thompson, a former Houston newspaper reporter, implied that Joan Hill's father, wealthy oilman Ash Robinson, hired the gunman who killed Dr. Hill.

Kurth, whose marriage to Hill lasted less than a year, testified in his 1971 trial that he had confessed to her he had killed Joan Hill "with a needle.' Kurth said Hill tried to kill her three weeks after their marriage. Kurth theorized Hill probably caused Joan Hill's death by feeding her pastries contaminated with human fecal bacteria and also maintained that John Hill could still be alive and living in Mexico.

Hill, she said, could have used plastic surgery to create a double who was the man killed outside of Hill's River Oaks home Sept. 24, 1972. However, Dr. Joseph Jachimczyk, the Harris County medical examiner, has repeatedly said the man on whom he performed an autopsy was Hill.

Dr. Hill was slain after he and his third wife, Connie, returned from a medical convention to find his mother and son bound and gagged in the hallway.

In 1975, a jury convicted Lilla Paulus of arranging the contract killing, allegedly acting for Robinson, who was said to be bent on revenge. Robinson, however, was never charged.

Paulus died in prison of cancer. The reputed triggerman, ex-convict Bobby Wayne Vandiver, was shot to death by a Longview officer before he could be tried.

Robinson and his wife eventually moved to Pensacola, Fla., and he died in 1985."

Now we know. No info available on Mrs. Ash Robinson, but it's probable that she's also dead by now. If so, then Robert Ashton Hill, the son of Dr. Hill and his first wife Joan, is almost the only person in that saga who is still alive. As has already been mentioned, he lives somewhere on the east coast where he lives a quiet life as a prosecuting attorney and refuses to talk about that part of his life.

The only other person involved in Hill's murder who may still be living is Marcia McKittrick, who drove the getaway car for Bobby Vandiver, the convicted triggerman. McKittrick got a short prison sentence for her involvement, did her time, and has apparently disappeared from the pages of history. I've heard nothing about her since the 70s.

Just a little note about the Marcia Mckittrick. In 2005 I was living in Nashville Tn. I am originally from East Texas. I had gotten my hometown paper of Malakoff Texas and was reading thru it. There had been a woman who had tried to pass some counterfit bills at a local gas station. The woman had given a fake name when arrested. It turned out to be the same Marcia Mckittrick. The last I knew she was back in prison. It was quite a shock to see her name in my little hometown paper.

• 2 weeks later...
No, you are not the only one obsessed with this case! I first read "Blood and Money" when it was serialized in Cosmopolitan magazine back in the 1970's. I was fascinated by the story and waited eagerly for the book to come out. At that time I was a starving graduate student and NEVER splurged on hardback books. But I bought this one. It was the first true crime book I ever read and sparked my interest. Now I have a large collection of true-crime books; my family thinks I have serious problems!

I don't believe John Hill deliberately poisoned Joan via the pastries, but I do believe he saw an opportunity to get rid of her when she was so sick, and took it. He desperately wanted out of the marriage so he could marry Ann Kurth. If he had divorced Joan, he wouldn't have gotten a penny; Ash Robinson would have seen to that. Joan would have kept the house and the music room and gotten a big chunk of alimony and child support. John had left Joan once but, if Thompson's book is to be believed, was "persuaded" to come back by Ash Robinson. He must have felt so trapped and powerless that early spring of 1969 -- and then Joan got sick. As a physician, John would have known that Joan's continuing episodes of vomiting and diarrhea would cause dehydration. I believe he waited as long as possible to take her to the hospital because he hoped she would go into shock and die. He took her to Sharpstown Hospital, a good distance from Kirby Drive, hoping to delay treatment as long as possible. And it worked. By the time Joan received treatment, she was too ill to survive. What started as a probable stomach virus ended in her death.

I'm less fascinated by John Hill's demise because we know who did it, if not why. Never having been to Houston or even Texas, I guess I don't really understand the "old boy network" and how Ash could have John murdered and get away with it. Or why Lilla Paulus would be so vengeful to agree to orchestrate the killing. Why would she have risked her freedom to have someone she didn't even know murdered?

I love the pictures of Joan that someone posted earlier. The paperback version of "Blood and Money" has a few pictures, but the hardback doesn't.

BTW, at a family funeral several years ago, I met some distant cousins who had lived in Houston during the time of Joan and John's respective deaths. When I started asking them if they remembered the story, they looked at me as if I'd sprouted two heads! They said "we didn't pal around with high society people when we lived there." But they admitted to remembering all the talk about Joan's death.

I too am obsessed with the murders of the Hills. Someone in a recent post asked what had become of the son, ROBERT ASHTON HILL. I did an internet search and there is a 48 year old ROBERT ASHTON HILL in the Montgomery County (MARYLAND) attorney's office. Robert "Boot Hill was born in 1960 or '61. He also lived at one time in Houston. I believe this is the Hill's son...Check out the MontgomeryCounty Maryland Attorney's website for a resume on Hill :rolleyes:

I too am obsessed with the murders of the Hills. Someone in a recent post asked what had become of the son, ROBERT ASHTON HILL. I did an internet search and there is a 48 year old ROBERT ASHTON HILL in the Montgomery County (MARYLAND) attorney's office. Robert "Boot Hill was born in 1960 or '61. He also lived at one time in Houston. I believe this is the Hill's son...Check out the MontgomeryCounty Maryland Attorney's website for a resume on Hill :rolleyes:

You have found the son of Dr. John Hill. The Maryland prosecutor is Robert "Boot" Hill. He lives and works quietly, and refuses all requests for interviews. He's put out the word that he will not talk publicly about the murder case, his family or his life. That doesn't leave much to talk about with him, and I say bully for him.

You may or may not be surprised to know that this story has been talked to death several times over on another thread, which by some coincidence, was posted and bumped to the top only minutes before your posting.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=10315

Check out that thread. It's very long, several hundred postings, but you will learn everything there is to know about the John Hill saga. A lot of people contributed their knowledge of the case to that thread.

Archived