AT&T U-verse

I just got the booklet from AT&T about their new TV/Internet packages (called AT&T U-verse)....

It sounds pretty good price-wise compared to my Time Warner/Road Runner....does anyone have any experience with them?

Im going to switch over and give them a try - I hope Im not a beta tester!

I just got the booklet from AT&T about their new TV/Internet packages (called AT&T U-verse)....

It sounds pretty good price-wise compared to my Time Warner/Road Runner....does anyone have any experience with them?

Please let me know how it goes.

You'll be a gamma tester...they're out of beta, but they don't have too many people on the system just yet either.

I'm mad at 'em 'cause I can't get it where I live....I really want to switch 'cause they're cheaper than TW and the internet speeds are faster....but NUUUUE I'm stuck with cable.

Also check out the forums at http://www.uverseusers.com/ they're not extremely active, but there's some good info over there nonetheless...espescially the tidbits from AT&T techs.

You'll be a gamma tester...they're out of beta, but they don't have too many people on the system just yet either.

I'm mad at 'em 'cause I can't get it where I live....I really want to switch 'cause they're cheaper than TW and the internet speeds are faster....but NUUUUE I'm stuck with cable.

Also check out the forums at http://www.uverseusers.com/ they're not extremely active, but there's some good info over there nonetheless...espescially the tidbits from AT&T techs.

LOL - Im a gamma tester....woo hoo !!!!

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out....

I am scheduled for install next Tuesday - they say to allow 6-8 HOURS (!!) for the complete install....that's scary!! At least they let me pick morning or afternoon starting times!

I got my AT&T U-verse installed yesterday. It took the tech about 3 hrs....I was a pretty simple install, only 1 TV and 2 PCs in a new apartment with cable/telephone outlets all over the place (it uses both)

So far I am very impressed - there are a ton a channels (way too many) to pick from....the channel numbers go into the 1000s !! The quality on my non-HD, junky TV is much better than TWC was. The DVR box is about 2/3 size of TWC's DVR - but it doesnt show the time or channel on the display - I miss that.

My internet connection (I got the middle speed) is about the same as my RR was when I use the RR speed test to compare...the wireless router works great ( if your PC doesnt have wireless, AT&T will supply a USB wireless adapter when they do the install). You have access to the admin portions of the router to config SSID, security, etc...it also includes a firewall

My bill will be about $25 less per month than TWC/RR was (the first 2 months are free)

The tech said they have coverage for most of Houston, except for the East side which is still spotty...

The tech said they have coverage for most of Houston, except for the East side which is still spotty...

they came out to work about 6 weeks ago. from the 20 mins i spoke with them, it looked like none of the other interested people were in the coverage area either. this was in clear lake area.

I've punched in myriad addresses in 77018 into the online service locator tool, and most all of them come back with no service. Its more than just the east side that's spotty.

I've punched in myriad addresses in 77018 into the online service locator tool, and most all of them come back with no service. Its more than just the east side that's spotty.

If you want the service and the online locator doesn't show your address as being available for service, I was told to call their direct number and ask them - apparently their online locator isn't exactly up-to-date.....

• 4 months later...
For all of those still curious, such as myself who is on Comcast, how are you enjoying your service now that you have had it for a few months?

The service still has a few growing pains and some limitations that you need to be aware of...overall the service is pretty good - I feel the SD (standard def) quality is better than what I had with TWC - I didn't have HD (high def) with TWC so I can't compare that.

My service has been down for multiple days twice. Tech support varies widely - As with all tech support providers, if you get a tech that knows what they are talking about, they can usually fix your problem quickly - otherwise (and usually) it can take days - this is one of my biggest frustrations.

I have had my DVR replaced 3 times - AT&T's solution to most problems is to replace things. The DVRs are slow when browsing the guide compared to TWC - although the guide is much "prettier" than TWCs. The DVR needs a reboot about once a week (it's Microsoft CE based) to get it back up to speed.

I have had my RG (residential gateway) replaced 3 times also - every time we had a thunder/lightning storm - the RG would get fried (it was on a surge protector)...AT&T came out with an updated RG and I have had no problems with it since.

You get 4 streams of data - internet takes one stream, SD TV takes 1 stream, and HD takes 2 streams - for people with alot of TVs (especially HD TVs) this has been the biggest complaint - not enough streams...

You can record up to 4 shows at a time on your DVR (SD only)...if you are recording an HD show - you can't watch another HD show, you have to watch SD (because of the stream limitation). You only get 1 DVR unless you pay extra (you also get up to 3 cable boxes without paying extra)

AT&T has plans to offer whole-house DVR and more streams in the future.

You can check out www.uverseusers.com for a ton of info about the service - it's a great site to see other users' experiences, tips and tricks, etc...

That's what I can think of off the top of my head - if you have any specific questions, I can try to answer those.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head - if you have any specific questions, I can try to answer those.

Regarding the value, saving the $20 a month for the comparable Comcast service, was it worth it?

Thanks for the review u080570. Based on that, I think I'd wait a while before ordering U-Verse, just because I don't have a lot of patience for technology that's as unstable as U-Verse sounds like it still is. I'm sure it's improving and will continue to get better, but before I'd order it I'd want it to be more stable. And after dropping my Comcast Internet for a great DSL provider I've been extremely happy with so far, my Comcast woes seem to be over. My cable TV was always very reliable with Time Warner and seems to have actually improved with Comcast. My Internet did the opposite, but after changing ISPs, things are good.

Regarding the value, saving the $20 a month for the comparable Comcast service, was it worth it?

Yes - I think it was - but I like new technology and don't mind the various headaches that go along with that. If you don't want to have any hassles, I would not switch yet.

• 2 months later...
Yes - I think it was - but I like new technology and don't mind the various headaches that go along with that. If you don't want to have any hassles, I would not switch yet.

How is this going by the way? Any problems with the service since you last got it a couple of months ago?

How is this going by the way? Any problems with the service since you last got it a couple of months ago?

No significant changes since my earlier post....

They removed some SD channels a couple weeks ago - and added a few more HD channels.

The DVR is still the weak point - quite slow to respond and doesnt always record shows correct (although it's a lot better than is used to be) - a reboot fixes the problems for a while - but you shouldnt have to reboot it every day!!

I do have an issue with the audio dropping in and out on HD channels - it's a known issue (check out the UverseUsers forum) that they don't seem to have a fix for. It's not too bad - but it can be annoying....

• 3 weeks later...
I got my AT&T U-verse installed yesterday. It took the tech about 3 hrs....I was a pretty simple install, only 1 TV and 2 PCs in a new apartment with cable/telephone outlets all over the place (it uses both)So far I am very impressed - there are a ton a channels (way too many) to pick from....the channel numbers go into the 1000s !! The quality on my non-HD, junky TV is much better than TWC was. The DVR box is about 2/3 size of TWC's DVR - but it doesnt show the time or channel on the display - I miss that.My internet connection (I got the middle speed) is about the same as my RR was when I use the RR speed test to compare...the wireless router works great ( if your PC doesnt have wireless, AT&T will supply a USB wireless adapter when they do the install). You have access to the admin portions of the router to config SSID, security, etc...it also includes a firewallMy bill will be about $25 less per month than TWC/RR was (the first 2 months are free)The tech said they have coverage for most of Houston, except for the East side which is still spotty...
I agree with just about everything you said except install time. I had some issue with my installation due to some fiber being cut somewhere on FM 1960 (hope it doesn't happen again). Install took about 6 hours the first time and about 4 hours the time they actually got it working.Anyhow, I think it's great. DVR is fantastic! I love being able to record 4 shows at same time, schedule/delete recordings on my PC and and have 3 cable boxes (one as a DVR) at no extra price.I think their prices are fantastic --actually, I am paying less for U200 with middle road hi-speed + DVR + Latino package than I was for basic cable and high speed. Oh yeah.. I have way more channels than I will ever explore but kinda nice to know they're there!I also agree with you on picture quality ... it made my 6 year old Sony flat screen (tube) television look near-HD ... I mean, really ... it has never had a picture like this before.All in all ... for about $89 I doubt anyone can really match their (AT&T) service or offerings.
No significant changes since my earlier post....They removed some SD channels a couple weeks ago - and added a few more HD channels. The DVR is still the weak point - quite slow to respond and doesnt always record shows correct (although it's a lot better than is used to be) - a reboot fixes the problems for a while - but you shouldnt have to reboot it every day!!I do have an issue with the audio dropping in and out on HD channels - it's a known issue (check out the UverseUsers forum) that they don't seem to have a fix for. It's not too bad - but it can be annoying....
Not to bash Microsoft, but I think the DVR uses some variant of Windows CE ... it has crashed on me a couple of times and it is kinda slow and unresponsive at times (no explanation for it, other than the software is buggy...?).Also, as someone else said, not having the LED time display on the device is kind of a pain.

The DVR is still the weak point - quite slow to respond and doesnt always record shows correct (although it's a lot better than is used to be) - a reboot fixes the problems for a while - but you shouldnt have to reboot it every day!!

I do have an issue with the audio dropping in and out on HD channels - it's a known issue (check out the UverseUsers forum) that they don't seem to have a fix for. It's not too bad - but it can be annoying....

Get a TIVO.

I LOVE mine.

I think it's offered as a choice when you reset the Guide. I'm not entirely sure, but I THINK it was one of the choices when I was handing my old TIVO to a friend of mine. The only other thing I can think of is to call up TIVO to find out for sure, but I wouldn't doubt if they have a guide offering U-verseseseseses (sorry) channel lineup.

I have this problem with over-the-air reception on Channel 13. Sometimes it is annoying enough that I go back to my non-HD DirecTV channel 13, just to hear uninterupted audio. Not sure if it happens on 2 or 11...if it does, I don't notice it.

How is TiVO's channel guide? Does it track pretty reliably with different cable systems? Is there a way to check online to see if it matches up with one's cable system before buying?

Well...you'd think for the subscription fees that they charge that their guide data would be top notch. Not so. I found two glaring issues in the guide data...SNL and the Daily Show. Both shows didn't have the new episode flag set, so it would just record everything. NOT ACCEPTABLE for $12/month. ComCrap's DVR did a better job in the guide data department. I sent my Tivo back from whence it came.

If you're interested in getting one, they have a 30 day free trial.

Also of note, I don't believe Tivo is compatible with U-verse...at least not yet.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone noticed the onscreen programming is a bit different now. Now it shows the number of shows (in a series you record) whether looking at the date view or program view. Neat!

I have also noticed that when speeding through commercials and then stopping, it kinda snaps back to the point where the commercials end. This is a nice feature because it allows for less rewinding after fast forwards.

Nice!

They have also added a feature that any receiver in the house will play-back recorded programs. Don't always have to watch on the main dvr box now. Pretty cool deal, no added charge.

I heard about that. I guess I am the last person in America with ONE (1) television ... that feature won't really help me much.

:P

• 2 months later...

How does U-Verse service 1.) Connect to your house, from the outside and 2.) Distribution inside of your home?

Right now, I'm remodeling my house and I have RG-6 coax and cat5e/6 distributed to every room. The RG-6 "network" and the cat5e/6 "network" hubs are run to a central closet in my home. If you had Comcast or satellite TV... this would allow you to run service to the closet... and then from the closet, redistribute throughout the house, where ever you wanted TV and/or internet service. All in one spot.

The existing telephone service comes in from the outside of my house, direct to the kitchen and to one additional phone jack in the master bedroom. That's it. Because land line phone service is a dying technology (so I thought), I left it alone. I didn't run telephone wire all over the house (like I did with RG-6 and Ethernet).

How would AT&T deal with this setup, as-is?

Do I need to run telephone wire every where? Or just one line to my closet? - and then from there the U-Verse box can use RG-6 or Ethernet? Do I need a telephone wire in my living room, where the DVR gets plugged into? So confusing. I've looked online and what people talk about is their service - once it is installed. I'm trying to figure out what the optimal wiring configuration needs to be vs. what the service offers... just in case I decide to get U-Verse, should it ever come to my area.

• 6 months later...

I got me some u-verse today. The best part is getting 3 times as many HD channels, more channels I like, and saving $35/month compared to Comcast.

Anyone with u-verse got any cool tips/tricks/stuff I should know? I figure the guide and everything will take some getting used to.

Archived