Home At 3912 Roseneath Dr.

missjanel

That's a big 'ol f*&^%#g house.

Call the terrazzo refinishers, I see a mighty big crack, and it ain't on the backside of the previous owners...

hr1872217-3.jpg

You're right. It's the mother of all cracks. And it's right in the middle of the room. Most of the other areas were ok though and it's actually bigger than what is posted. The is a guest quartes with one bedroom, tiny kitchen and odd bath that is not reflected in the 4+4 listed.

So how hard (expensive) is it to repair terrazo anyway?

Is the texture on the living room ceiling original?

That swirly effect brings back unpleasant memories of the 1970s. Might this indicate that there had been some drywall repair after leaks?

i thought that was tile. i remember i had some like it in my restroom prior to the remodel.

So how hard (expensive) is it to repair terrazo anyway?

Good question...the install process is pretty messy and labor intensive....lots and lots of grinding of the floor to get it nice and smooth and pretty. Repair...would probably involve grinding in the repaired sections, but it may be a total delicate flower trying to match the color & aggregate size of the original.

Good question...the install process is pretty messy and labor intensive....lots and lots of grinding of the floor to get it nice and smooth and pretty. Repair...would probably involve grinding in the repaired sections, but it may be a total delicate flower trying to match the color & aggregate size of the original.

i would have to agree. i know most places i've seen just polish them and leave the cracks there. some of the patch jobs i've seen look worse than if they would have just left the crack.

Already option pending but still nice to look at. May fall through though. Looks like a forclosure but with 4 bedrooms and 4 baths on half an acre inside the loop with lots of terrazo it's a steal.

http://www.har.com/2224041

This house was featured in the 1997 RDA home tour. The architect was Pierre Dene' about 1956. It was built for the owner of a large furniture and appliance store. The AIA Guide states, "This ranchero deluxe incorporates every possible feature of the '50s contemporary look." The following was taken from the RDA archives. Note that the house at 3403 North Parkwood Drive omits credit to Lars Bang who was the principal designer for client Sammy Finger. Lucian Hood did not participate in the design of 3403 North Parkwood Drive.

Architecture Tour (April 26-27, 1997)

Rancheros Deluxe

The California ranch house has reached the seventy-year mark. The ranch fits into the era of modern architecture, and millions

of ranch houses were constructed in the US after WW II.

Lecture by Amy Aronson: Recreating the Ranch (April 23, 1997)

4216 Fernwood Drive, 1949, Bailey A. Swenson

3912 Roseneath Drive, 1956, Pierre Dene

3403 North Parkwood Drive, 1953, Philip G. Willard and Lucian T. Hood, Jr.

5330 Mandell Street, 1959, Lucian T. Hood, Jr.

1802 Sunset Blvd., 1951, David D. Red

40 Tiel Way, 1950, Wylie W. Vale; 1996, Design Collaborative (Kurt Aichler, S. Reagan Miller, and Stephen J.

Engblom)

I guess the buyer got cold feet. The listing is now active again.

The house probably needs alot of work. It's difficult to get a mortgage and construction/rehab loan in this area. The comps are just not there so often you aren't able to borrow enough money to do anything worthwhile. We bought in the Riverside area recently so know the difficulty, luckily we had savings and so were able to supplement what we got from the bank. I think eventually the comps will be there but not right now.

• 2 months later...

hr1872217-1.jpg

hr1872217-5.jpg

hr1872217-10.jpg

hr1872217-7.jpg

HAR shows this house sold on 5-29-07. There is already orange plastic fencing down the property lines to the street and two roll off containers in the front yard, one on each corner. The front door has been replaced with a piece of particle board and it looks like the fixtures are being removed. I am very worried. The place is quirky but it is one of the most dynamic houses in town. Surely the new owner can see its unique qualities and is preparing for a thoughtful restoration...

It is unfortunate to see this area further diminished by some of the worst quality McMansions possible. The two at Scott and South MacGregor are detailed like trailers and suggest the designer was inspired by a giant bus shed. Spaces for three of four more McMansions are being made at that intersection.

This beautiful home seems to be in the process of being demolished. Past by today, only the rear 2 story section on one side remains. All the other areas of the home are gone. What a waste of modern design!

Oh well. There goes another one of my favorite homes in the area. I know progress must take place, but I don't like what it's doing to this neighborhood. The demolishing of two historic homes in the past two weeks, and for some reason, a whole bunch of trees on the banks of Brays Bayou were razed, and are resting, dead on the banks. I'm sure if the developers could have their way, they would just take away all the character of the neighborhood. They'd just buy out all the homes and put down lofts and condos, put a high priced apartment complex where Parkwood Park is, and probably make N. and S. MacGregor one way all the way to their terminus at Calhoun.

It is unfortunate to see this area further diminished by some of the worst quality McMansions possible. The two at Scott and South MacGregor are detailed like trailers and suggest the designer was inspired by a giant bus shed. Spaces for three of four more McMansions are being made at that intersection.

As a resident of the area, I see nothing wrong with these so called "McMansions", as long as they are built on already empty lots. I wouldn't say there are of the worst quality. They look quite nice, but their locations are horrible, except if you like speeding cars through your front door, not being able to leave your driveway in the morning due to traffic, and weirdos from the bus stop defecating in your front lawn. I think the one at the SW corner of the intersection is being built by State Rep Borris Miles, and isn't really a house, but some sort of condo or duplex.

The loss of two great homes in less than a month should be a crime. but in Houston it's called progress. Those of us who live in the area need to stay alert and do whatever we can to preserve the history of our neighborhood. There will be a "Perry" type mega mansion build on the Roseneath site and it will stick out like a sore thumb!

The loss of two great homes in less than a month should be a crime. but in Houston it's called progress. Those of us who live in the area need to stay alert and do whatever we can to preserve the history of our neighborhood. There will be a "Perry" type mega mansion build on the Roseneath site and it will stick out like a sore thumb!

Not if this keeps up.

• The title was changed to Home In Riverside Terrace At 3912 Roseneath Dr.
  • The title was changed to Home At 3912 Roseneath Dr.