SA - Growing City

heightsfan

Good Afternoon All,

My question is for those who may reside near or the surrounding area of downtown San Antonio.

What are some possible residential areas to live in around the city ? Some of the other major cities the

property value to live near downtown is very high and I guess because of the commute to downtown for work.

Whats an average price for a 1,500 sqft home 3/2 near town ??

Thank You

Good Afternoon All,

My question is for those who may reside near or the surrounding area of downtown San Antonio.

What are some possible residential areas to live in around the city ? Some of the other major cities the

property value to live near downtown is very high and I guess because of the commute to downtown for work.

Thank You

If your wanting a home adjacent to downtown, you may want to rethink as most of those areas are much older and are mostly low income families. I would say look north-central between downtown and loop 1604 near 281 and the Quarry Market. Most homes in that area average in the $110k to $150k. If you are open to buying anywere in the city, look at the Nortwest, North and West sides of town as those are the "nicer" sides of town were the majority of the middle and upper class reside. Home values range from $100k-$250k all the way into the millions as you get around Helotes and La Cantera.

• 3 months later...
Good Afternoon All,

Thank You

If you have money, look around Alamo Heights and Olmos Park. Both are very near downtown to the North/NW. Olmos Park is near Trinity Univ, a very well respected private school. And Alamo Heights has Incarnate Word, a respected school to a lesser extent. Anyhow, both have great older homes on large lots. Alamo Heights has a lot of small town character, SA just grew up around it. Think of Bellaire but nicer, smaller, and more quaint.

• 5 months later...

im sorry i have never understood peoples fear or disdain of the inner city. I live near downtown adjacent to king williams neighborhood in the la vaca neighborhood. Living downtown has been one of the best decisions i have ever made i love my five minute commute to work i love the proximity of the great urban surroundings downtown san Antonio has to offer and the neat and unique shops and restraunts that are literally a short walking distance away! im not to sure of all locations but i do know that at some flats that are being built the 1100 sqft homes are going for 176 000. There are many old wharehouses being renovated into lofts but again im not to sure of the prices of these. there are many more living options downtown and hopefully there will continue to be more and more.

Being a San Antonio native (grew up in Sonterra), I never really thought of downtown SA as anything more than a place for tourists. It seems that business is still done in the suburbs. IMO, this probably limits the appeal of some of the older neighborhoods. The upside is that it means you can actually afford to live in a cool old house, which in Houston is harder to do.

Is there an equivalent to HAR.com for San Antonio, or do you have to rely on individual realtor sites?

Over the holidays we drove down into King William and the surrounding area. So many fantastic homes (or at least homes with fantastic potential) off S St Marys, Guenther, Crofton, etc. We did see some signs of new construction and rehabbing of older buildings. My hope is that my parents give up the suburban lifestyle and move into the city.

Off of Blue Star Street, there is a strange row of round metal buildings that almost look like they are housing (almost, but not quite). I can't figure out what they are! And what is that area called? My dad says it is 'Southtown' is that correct?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1

Being a San Antonio native (grew up in Sonterra), I never really thought of downtown SA as anything more than a place for tourists. It seems that business is still done in the suburbs. IMO, this probably limits the appeal of some of the older neighborhoods. The upside is that it means you can actually afford to live in a cool old house, which in Houston is harder to do.

Is there an equivalent to HAR.com for San Antonio, or do you have to rely on individual realtor sites?

Over the holidays we drove down into King William and the surrounding area. So many fantastic homes (or at least homes with fantastic potential) off S St Marys, Guenther, Crofton, etc. We did see some signs of new construction and rehabbing of older buildings. My hope is that my parents give up the suburban lifestyle and move into the city.

Off of Blue Star Street, there is a strange row of round metal buildings that almost look like they are housing (almost, but not quite). I can't figure out what they are! And what is that area called? My dad says it is 'Southtown' is that correct?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1

Yes, Blue Star would be included in Southtown. King William would also be included in Southtown as well. As for the metal buildings, those are the Blue Star Art Silos and they were used as work spaces and gallery spaces and sometimes residential units, for the artists who used them as work spaces and galleries, until recently when they were fenced off and tenants had to vacate. The reason, that area is set to become the Big Tex mixed-use development.

Archived