The Ugly Streets of Houston

Subdude

One thing I cannot understand is why The City of Houston will not give Almeda Rd. between S. Mac Gregor and OST the attention it deserves. My parents have recalled since they moved back to Houston from Atlanta, Almeda was always ragged in that section, that was in 1979! :o

Back in 79, Almeda Rd. was still designated SH 288 just about all the way into downtown. When the South Freeway was completed in 1984, Almeda Rd. south of OST was redesignated as FM 521, sections north of OST lost all state highway designation altogether, no FM redesignation, just simply turned over to the City of Houston by TxDOT for maintainence as yet another city street. Since then, Almeda south of OST has receieved new concrete road surfaces and asphalt resurfacing. North of OST however, it's full of potholes. From 2004 to 2006, they did a little work on it when they installed some new water lines. New concrete sections were put in. BUT, on either side of this smooth bit of road, there's ragged road. They did a little milling (scraping away of old asphalt overlay) and resurfacing of two of four lanes at Holcombe on the southbound side, but it just looks, well, half-baked! How can you justify milling and resurfacing to make a smooth lane inches next to an untouched pothole ridden one? That little truck that spits gravel into holes isn't gonna help this one out Bill! But maybe there's some hope. Numerous streets in this area of town all at once got the mill and repave treatment and Almeda may be next, as well as this new twin highrise condo development on Almeda which may finally prompt the City to mill and resurface the entire stretch between S. Mac Gregor and OST.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Almeda loses its state highway designation once it hits OST. It then becomes a municipal thoroughfare. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. Either way, I agree with you, and had hoped that the construction project along the Brays Bayou along with the reconstruction of Almeda north of North Mac Gregor would've led to at least a repaving of the section south of South Mac Gregor and down to OST.

Apparently not a high priority since relatively speaking not that many people use it.

^^^Transmission lines was Westpark's only problem. Now the elevated bridge columns from the Tollway of the same name made it worse.

Eh, I would say Westpark's problem is the, um, "international" character of the other drivers and their procilivity for Grand Prix style driving antics.

"We don't need no stinkin' lane striping!"

Eh, I would say Westpark's problem is the, um, "international" character of the other drivers and their procilivity for Grand Prix style driving antics.

"We don't need no stinkin' lane striping!"

All of Westpark (dragstrip) needs to be widened - big time. The narrowness of this corridor is what adds to the crowded feeling. Develop north as you have no choice.

The only view you have to the south is the concrete wall of the toolway. Then on the north side just ugly abandoned homes & run down businesses. Basically still appears as 1980. Sad sight for Houston. Widen now.

They had to cut lanes from Westpark to build the tollway. Westpark Dr. should be made part of the Westpark Tollroad, but as free lanes. The North Dallas Tollway is similarly restricted in space, but its finally become a really sucessful corridor. It was built in the 60s but it didn't pick up until the late 90s.

North Shepherd from Tidwell up to I-45. Just one car repair garage after another. Man that stretch is an eyesore.

That is definetely one of the dreariest and most depressing strips in this city, I agree. Row after row of junk yards, walls of hubcaps and no curbs in most spots. It has been like that for decades. Anytime I go by there (thank God its very rare) its like going back in time 1968 or somewhere there but not in a pleasant way either.

I dont recall ever seeing any green grass just oil-saturated dirt and pieces of junk metal, lots of it.

cb-junkyard.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think Almeda loses its state highway designation once it hits OST. It then becomes a municipal thoroughfare. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. Either way, I agree with you, and had hoped that the construction project along the Brays Bayou along with the reconstruction of Almeda north of North Mac Gregor would've led to at least a repaving of the section south of South Mac Gregor and down to OST.

Apparently not a high priority since relatively speaking not that many people use it.

I drove through there earlier today. They have started removing the old layer of asphalt between Holcombe and S. MacGregor on the northbound side. Hopefully they will also work on the small ragged southbound sections between Holcome and S. MacGregor, both sides down to OST, the intersections with N. and S. MacGregor and the bridge over Brays Bayou.

Streets that particuarly don't look appealing to me:

- Airline Drive, pretty much all of it, including the small stretch inside the loop.

I live 5 blocks west on N. Main. It's gotten so bad we just walk to the Farmer's Market. It is slated for rehabilitation from N. Main to 610 in 2008 at a cost of 2.5 million. It is well worth it due to the commerce that occurs on this stretch-perhaps one of the most concentrated inside the loop.

Broadway from Hobby to 45: "Welcome to Houston Hell"

Broadway from Hobby to 45: "Welcome to Houston Hell"

Correct you are!

Even those little clumps of oleander at 45/Broadway didnt do much for the eye. That strip from Broadway to Hobby was once nice maybe around mid 70's. Area Bellfort @ Broadway where most of those dilapidated apartments presently stand were used for flight attendants and other airline personnel when they were brand new (30 years ago). They went downhill in mid-80's. Now just dope peddling, shoot outs and happy hookers. :P

There has always been "talk" about tearing them down but thats as far as it goes. Talk is cheap they say?

The ugliest street has to be Wilcrest north of Westheimer. The road alone looks like 12 miles of bad West Texas highway. It doesn't have potholes, it has CRATERS ! Kirkwood just north of Westheimer is a very close second. You need Bigfoot to negotiate those hills and dips in the road.

I have a feeling this has been brought up before but under Elysian Street bridge/overpass whatever just north of DT. That has been the darkest, scariest, roughest, toughest place since I can remember. We used to drive over it and that was scary enough. From the top looking down all you could see were the fading run down old queen anne style homes (sad) with broken windows, greying in the sun all tilted ready to fall from age. If you dare to drive down under, there are actually people living in some of the remaining remuddled old homes. No kidding it reminds you of the scene from The French Connection. Except there ain't no Gene Hackman in sight! So if you want to get depressed or wonder what real depression & misery is go here.

fr2b.jpg

I have a feeling this has been brought up before but under Elysian Street bridge/overpass whatever just north of DT. That has been the darkest, scariest, roughest, toughest place since I can remember. We used to drive over it and that was scary enough. From the top looking down all you could see were the fading run down old queen anne style homes (sad) with broken windows, greying in the sun all tilted ready to fall from age. If you dare to drive down under, there are actually people living in some of the remaining remuddled old homes. No kidding it reminds you of the scene from The French Connection. Except there ain't no Gene Hackman in sight! So if you want to get depressed or wonder what real depression & misery is go here.

fr2b.jpg

Vertigo, you just live in terror, don't you?

Students, let's read the topic again. Ugly streets of Houston. Under Crater Houston, to me that means ugly and scary both words normally go hand in hand. I dare anyone to go see this area and tell me its not a sad sight. Reality. :wacko::lol:

I forgot where I was trying to get to, but I decided I would drive UNDER the viaduct to get to the street I wanted. I took one look under there, I decided "nah, I think I'll find another way".

Yesterday I decided to take the long way home from the Bush Airport to my home in Riverside Terrace.

I took Hirsch Rd south. Along its length it's name changes several times, when you enter 5Th ward it becomes Waco. It changes again when you reach Navigation it becomes N. Sampson and turns into the worst street I have ever driven on in Houston. The condition of that street from Navigation to Leeland is a shame, pot holes, broken pavement years of non repair. It also appears that the portions of this long street that pass through the mostly Black areas is well maintained, but the length through the Hispanic section is a disgrace. The portion from Leeland heading south is Scott St. which seems to get regularly improvements as it heads for UofH and the Macgregor area even to the point of landscaping etc. Could there possibly be any other major street in Houston in this condition, and where are the City Councilpersons in charge of keeping this stuff from happening?

Could there possibly be any other major street in Houston in this condition, and where are the City Councilpersons in charge of keeping this stuff from happening?

get out a little bit more. there are streets in worse condition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a soft spot for extremely hideous outdated strip centers covered in neon lining a frenetic street full of traffic. Feels more real and alive than the new development where even the color of the dumpster is probably planned out

Some streets in Houston have this and I dont mind that they are ugly

• 3 weeks later...
i also vote for some parts of shepherd from St.Thomas school to about 11th.

You mean all the way to 610. I look forward to the day all those used car dealers from 11th to 610 are gone.

There was another topic about ugly freeway intersections, but I got to wondering, what are Houston's ugliest streets?

My nomination is Dunlavy in the Montrose, with power lines on both sides. No matter what the quality of the buildings, all the wires give it a bit of a third world look.

Westheimer between BW8 and HWY6. Ick.

I would swear that my current place of employment is located on the "ugliest street in Houston."

It is off of the Hardy Toll Rd between Gulf Bank and Little York...the armpit of Houston...people if you want to adopt a stray dog, this is the place. :closedeyes: ,

I have to agree with those that said Hardy St.

Jensen has some interesting and historic appeal as does Airline...I just can't say those streets are downright ugly.

• 1 month later...

Hiram Clarke/Holmes@South Main. Holmes turns into a cratered Third Ward mess through the wasteland where they were supposed to build the commuter rail station (south of Reliant).

And why not mention Main from the Greyhound Station to that head outside the old Savoy?

Archived