for you pet owners

musicman

I smell a big lawsuit coming. I hope not. I swear people sue for anything these days and I'm really becoming disgusted by how quick we are to sue. It was a bad product, it was an accident. I feel for those that lost their beloved pets but my God, stuff happens. I'm waiting for the lawyer TV commercials to start. "Did you loose a dog or cat because of bad pet food? Then call me [insert lawyers name here]!". It turns my stomach just to think about it.

I smell a big lawsuit coming. I hope not. I swear people sue for anything these days and I'm really becoming disgusted by how quick we are to sue. It was a bad product, it was an accident. I feel for those that lost their beloved pets but my God, stuff happens. I'm waiting for the lawyer TV commercials to start. "Did you loose a dog or cat because of bad pet food? Then call me [insert lawyers name here]!". It turns my stomach just to think about it.

So...your whole family gets killed in a firey car crash because the wheel flew off because the manufacturer switched to a cheaper supplier of lug nuts. You just gonna shrug and say "Bad product" and go on with your life?

Good god man! If my pet were poisoned you can sure as hell bet that I would want to sue! What, is it supposed to be OK to sell contaminated products and get away with it? We have laws so people have more protection than "Ooh, sorry, stuff happens." :wacko::wacko:

how do you feel about people who "give away" their pets because they are moving to a new apartment that doesnt accept pets?

Per the press reports, there have already been multiple lawsuits filed by pet owners who claim that their pets died as a result of eating the food in question. I personally doubt we will see a wave of lawyer advertising for these cases unless there ends up being evidence that someone (someone working for a company that has lots of cash) did something evil or really stupid with foreseeable consequences, and a large number of pets died as a result. There probably wouldn't be the profit potential to support mass lawyer advertising otherwise.

And I very much hope that there are not a lot of pets that die as a result. Thanks to musicman for helping to spread the news early on.

Actually, the bigger reason you won't see huge lawsuits and huge recoveries is that the law does not provide for loss of earning capacity for a pet. True, there can be some emotional loss, but not on the order of human companionship, at least in the eyes of the law. Pets are legally considered property, so the loss is largely confined to replacement value for your standard everyday pet.

That said, if my pup went down because of some greedy pet food company exec trying to fatten his bank account, I'd be wanting to go all Dirty Harry on his ___

Actually, the bigger reason you won't see huge lawsuits and huge recoveries is that the law does not provide for loss of earning capacity for a pet. True, there can be some emotional loss, but not on the order of human companionship, at least in the eyes of the law. Pets are legally considered property, so the loss is largely confined to replacement value for your standard everyday pet.

I'd started to go into this, but didn't want to try to summarize the law, which varies from state to state, and is apparently changing (with regard to the elements of actual damages that can be considered for the loss of a pet) - here's an article I found. I still think the possibility of punitive damages as opposed to any measure of actual (compensatory) damages is what turns ordinary wide-spread litigation into "mass" wrongful-death litigation - but that's just my personal impression.

[This post interrupted several times by my attention-seeking pet who - perhaps lucky for her - is generally forced to subsist on cheap dry food bought in bulk. And lots of petting.]

• 2 weeks later...

pet food recall expanded

The recall of wet and dry pet foods contaminated with a chemical found in plastics and pesticides expanded today to include a new brand even as investigators were puzzled why the substance would kill dogs and cats.

Nestle Purina PetCare Co. said it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China.

The same U.S. supplier also provided wheat gluten, a protein source, to a Canadian company, Menu Foods, which this month recalled 60 million containers of wet dog and cat food it produces for sale under nearly 100 brand labels.

Menu Foods and the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the pet food industry, have refused to identify the company that supplied the contaminated wheat gluten.

Hill's Pet Nutrition said late Friday that its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food included the tainted wheat gluten. The FDA said the source was the same unidentified company. Hill's, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co., is so far the only company to recall any dry pet food.

My dog has run out of her dry Nutro. I am really perplexed what to purchase now since there is so much confusion over what to feed her.

For the record, she has never had problems on Nutro, but I know their wet (packaged) foods were part of the first recall.

What to do?

Yeah, but the story keeps changing now. Supposedly at first it was some sort of rat poison used in Chinese farming, and then now it is supposedly some sort of plastic additive.

Nutro seemed to ban/recall the wet but the dry was not affected, now I hear some companies are also recalling the dry, but have not heard anything about Nutro (Natural Choice).

Archived