San Antonio's losing steam on getting another sports team

DJ V Lawrence

Who should San Antonio pursue first?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What professional league should San Antonio pursue at this point realistically?

• NFL
    • MLB
    • MLS
    • NHL
    • None: They don't have a realistic shot at any for now.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ts/4637104.html

They "claim" they want a second professional team in San Antonio by building the AlamoDome, which has been a haven for NFL teams to threaten to move (Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, etc.) , next, as they almost became the second Texas city to have an MLS team, the new mayor changes all the plans so he could focus on another sport instead since he thought at the time that the league was too "risky", then lastly they foolishly pursue the Florida Marlins even though that means they have to build a new stadium, and knowing that Miami had the upper hand by pursuing a new stadium themselves.

Now, San Antonio's left with a vacant Dome, the MLS has shot up in quality and interest, building stadiums for almost all their teams and expecting plenty of sellouts, NFL is even considering Las Vegas more than San Antonio (and L.A. is stil seen as their priority), and MLB shows how much respect they have for San Antonio by using their situation as a pawn like the NFL has.

What now?

San Antonio screwed themselves over with getting another sports team. They thought they were big and bad, and thought the MLS was not "good enough" for them (read some of the SA posters at SSP). The Spurs are good enough for them, though.

San Antonio screwed themselves over with getting another sports team. They thought they were big and bad, and thought the MLS was not "good enough" for them (read some of the SA posters at SSP). The Spurs are good enough for them, though.

I agree.

If I were SA, I wouldn't even consider pursuing another MLB team unless they were SURE to leave. I'd keep an eye on the NFL because they already have the stadium ready to go, and that wouldn't cost major taxpayer dollars as a result (even though that's a long shot). I still wouldn't pursue another team though, unless it was certain that the team wants to leave their current home.

NHL probably has a good chance in S.A., but now that we know that Kansas City, Houston, and Las Vegas will probably be the three American cities NHL will look at first, not to mention the Canadian cities.

MLS has the best chance for success there, but they probably have a bigger list of cities looking for expansion than anyone else. They could offer the AlamoDome as the team's primary tenant, but even so, they need to get back into looking into an investor on a team there, and that would be difficult knowing that the best chance they have at doing so is getting a local investor instead of one outside the city.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ts/4637104.html

They "claim" they want a second professional team in San Antonio by building the AlamoDome, which has been a haven for NFL teams to threaten to move (Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, etc.) , next, as they almost became the second Texas city to have an MLS team, the new mayor changes all the plans so he could focus on another sport instead since he thought at the time that the league was too "risky", then lastly they foolishly pursue the Florida Marlins even though that means they have to build a new stadium, and knowing that Miami had the upper hand by pursuing a new stadium themselves.

Now, San Antonio's left with a vacant Dome, the MLS has shot up in quality and interest, building stadiums for almost all their teams and expecting plenty of sellouts, NFL is even considering Las Vegas more than San Antonio (and L.A. is stil seen as their priority), and MLB shows how much respect they have for San Antonio by using their situation as a pawn like the NFL has.

What now?

SA could support the NFL, but not the MLB. It's too bad they're no better than 2nd in line for the NFL though when the NFL has no plans for expansion.

• 1 month later...
SA could support the NFL, but not the MLB. It's too bad they're no better than 2nd in line for the NFL though when the NFL has no plans for expansion.

I think they should continue improving their city first then in a few years come back to the sports thought.

I think MLS would be the best fit for SA. But it is not on par with the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL. It is a level below. I watch some soccer along with all of these other sports and MLS is inferrior to most overseas club teams. It is more on par with arena football, minor league baseball or minor league hockey in terms of prestige.

MLS is a niche sport, but it is growing in the US. I also think MLS is the way to go, they should be expanding a team out west since the Toronto expansion. SJ may get a team back, but if SA can bid I think they may get it.

MLS is a niche sport, but it is growing in the US. I also think MLS is the way to go, they should be expanding a team out west since the Toronto expansion. SJ may get a team back, but if SA can bid I think they may get it.

It's not likely that SA gets an MLS team. The current mayor put the kibash (sp?) on that when he got in office. He wanted to focus on getting an NFL team. The city was in negotiations with the MLS at that time and ended up ticking off the MLS as a result. I don't think the MLS will be contacting SA anytime soon.

It's not likely that SA gets an MLS team. The current mayor put the kibash (sp?) on that when he got in office. He wanted to focus on getting an NFL team. The city was in negotiations with the MLS at that time and ended up ticking off the MLS as a result. I don't think the MLS will be contacting SA anytime soon.

That's extremely dumb on their mayor's part. The only chance SA ever had in the past 10 years of getting an NFL franchise was with the Vikings, and since that team was sold, the time has come and gone. It's obvious that Los Angeles and Las Vegas are being looked at before San Antonio, and by the time San Antonio had another legitimate chance, they'd need to build a new stadium, since Alamodome would be considered obsolete. Hell, LA has a better chance at landing a second team, and Toronto has a better chance at getting one before the NFL ever considered a team for San Antonio. What is the mayor thinking?

The have a better chance at landing baseball, but even that's a major toss-up. Once again, Las Vegas has a better chance at landing a team than SA.

Why would he ever consider turning down MLS? With that team, they would have had two major sports, and could have used the fan support from that team as a reason why San Antonio should land an NFL or MLB team as well. Now, a year after he turned down MLS thinking that it wouldn't go anywhere, over 10 cities now are working to become the next expansion franchise. The team SA could have had is now in Toronto, and their entire season is sold out.

The have a better chance at landing baseball, but even that's a major toss-up. Once again, Las Vegas has a better chance at landing a team than SA.

About Vegas I hear all the time that the sports leagues like to party there (like for the All-Star Game) but in terms of awarding a team to the city, the leagues are said to shy away from this because of moral issues... talk about hypocrisy here...

About Vegas I hear all the time that the sports leagues like to party there (like for the All-Star Game) but in terms of awarding a team to the city, the leagues are said to shy away from this because of moral issues... talk about hypocrisy here...

That's somewhat true, but if you remember the Montreal Expos (the last legitimate possible moving team), Las Vegas, Portland, and Washington DC were the names mentioned as possible move towns, with Washington winning (now the Nationals). Also, the current NFL team with the best chance of moving are the San Diego Chargers. Their possible move locations (if they're not being used as bait) are LA and Las Vegas. In the NBA, the SuperSonics have the best chance of moving, and their likely relocations are Oklahoma City or Las Vegas. The Kings would move to Vegas if they couldn't get a Sac-town deal done, since the Maloofs already have major investments there, including the Palms. For some reason, LV keeps getting brought up as a possible relocation site. Even the NHL, too. Before the Penguins sealed their deal to stay in Pittsburgh, they visited Houston, Kansas City, and LV.

Long story short, there's NO interest from the NFL, MLB, and NHL to bring a franchise to San Antonio. If they wanted that, there would have already been a team there not too long after the Alamodome was built. And San Antonio's city officials have proven that they're willing to do anything to bring a team from NFL or MLB if the leagues wanted to, but the leagues want nothing to do with it. When they were talking about possibly moving the Vikings there, the NFL went out of it's way to shoot the idea down, then shortly afterwards, announced a team will be playing in LA before 2010?

Then when a league is willing to play there, MLS, the new mayor shoots it down, probably because it isn't as big financially yet as the other four major leagues. Then it's now known that Portland, Seattle, San Jose, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, Cleveland, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Miami, Montreal, Vancouver, and at least 5 other cities are all in the loop on trying to get an MLS team.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, a MLB park built near New Braunfels (or even a bit north) would be home run. San Antonio needs a regional approach to land any further major league franchises and put its tail between its legs and accept that the games won't be in downtown. The S.A. Austin region has surpassed 3 million.

Frankly I'm not convinced that the Saints, Devil Rays or a host of other franchises' futures are secure in their respective cities. Would a 6-10 Saints team draw like last years playoff squad. Doubtful.

But major league sports are over-rated as economic generators. S.A. should persue high-quality educational, employment and other opportunities for its population and increase it's per-captia.

IMO, a MLB park built near New Braunfels (or even a bit north) would be home run. San Antonio needs a regional approach to land any further major league franchises and put its tail between its legs and accept that the games won't be in downtown. The S.A. Austin region has surpassed 3 million.

Frankly I'm not convinced that the Saints, Devil Rays or a host of other franchises' futures are secure in their respective cities. Would a 6-10 Saints team draw like last years playoff squad. Doubtful.

But major league sports are over-rated as economic generators. S.A. should persue high-quality educational, employment and other opportunities for its population and increase it's per-captia.

Ding, ding, ding.

Forget about the pro sports. If San Antonio wants football they should do like the rest of Texas and build up a Division I football team at UTSA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think UTSA is the largest school in Texas that lacks a football team and the campus is growing rapidly. At least with a college team you know they aren't going to flee to another city for more money. And they will be happy to play in the alamo dome without new luxury boxes.

• 1 month later...

You're right, Trae. That's why the Toyota plant was such a big deal in San Antonio. Even if I wanted to live in San Antonio I'd be hard pressed to find something in my career path. UTSA is a commuter school so I seriously doubt a Division I football team would do it any good. They need to focus on the academics there, not sports. It's just a satellite campus for CAP students.

The Toyota plant caused a real estate boom in the south side of San Antonio, which is ironic considering that it and the eastside are the worst sides of town. Texas A&M was even talking about building a satellite campus there.

But I don't think the south side of San Antonio will ever be any sort of a tourist attraction.

• 3 weeks later...
If the Texans keep on having a losing season they will soon be called, San Antonio Texans.

The Texans are among the top 5 valued franchises in the NFL. Moreover, they have sold out every regular season game in their history. Already, the first preseason game this season is sold out. There may be only a few hundred seats left for the Cowboys preseason game. Two or three regular season games are already sell-outs for the coming season. And, at last count available season tickets (they allocated several thousand new season tickets this year in the upper seating bowl) were under 1000, with still a month left to sell them.

The Texans are doing just fine and will stay here for a long time.

The Texans are among the top 5 valued franchises in the NFL. Moreover, they have sold out every regular season game in their history. Already, the first preseason game this season is sold out. There may be only a few hundred seats left for the Cowboys preseason game. Two or three regular season games are already sell-outs for the coming season. And, at last count available season tickets (they allocated several thousand new season tickets this year in the upper seating bowl) were under 1000, with still a month left to sell them.

The Texans are doing just fine and will stay here for a long time.

It's pretty crazy to know that the Texans are top 5 valued without ever having a .500 season. Can you imagine how much they will be worth when they become playoff contenders? Sure, they've lost a lot of potential cash by not drafting Young OR Bush, but their ticket, local media coverage, and sponsorship aren't going anywhere soon, so when they start to win and their merchandise jump up, I think they they could become the top three or even #1 highest valued franchise in North America.

Back to San Antonio, I still think MLS has the best hope for their city's market, but there's too much competition for expansion there that SA is probably as much on the backburner there as MLB and NFL. Two Canadian cities have a better chance at getting a team in MLS than SA. And even NFL is talking more about Toronto than SA.

Archived