Crime In The Woodlands

musicman

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the Associations would just hire private patrol already. They have enough money, its ridiculous.

In the less than two years here, we have had more neighborhood "incidents" than we had in the entire 14 years in our Galleria neighborhood. But there we had private patrol 24/7 with HPD backup. They were ever present in the neighborhood, we knew most by name, saw them cruising the street several times a day, and they had a response time of 3-4 minutes. And get this, they provided that AND twice a week trash pickup for a flat, non-prorated fee, that is 1/3 of the Woodlands. So I hear fiddles playing when the Associations say they have to "find the funds."

Granted the crimes here aren't major : Sprayings, smashed windows, smashed car windows and doors, home invading peeping Toms.....but the big criminals have to start somewhere. When areas grow, so do the social problems with it. If the WDC/WDC paid Association Employess (gosh I miss a board of home owner trustees) were truely "pro-active" something would have organized and a plan budgeted years ago.

WDC opened the Parkway and basically served up its residents on a platter to a whole new set of problems...

.2 officers per 1,000 residents is laughable for the amount of taxes and fees residents pay here. The best way to curb crime, is to have a law enforcement presence. And taking years to figure out "were they are going to find the money to pay for it......." please, they are just affraid their bonuses will get smaller.

Its time for The Woodlands to become some sort of City, living within a corporation is no longer working.

.2 officers per 1,000 residents is laughable for the amount of taxes and fees residents pay here.

That really is an eye-opener, even for a relatively safe suburb. Even including the cops at the mall, the Woodlands only has .4 officers per thousand. In comparison, understaffed Houston, even with its extra evacuee population, is at 2.2 officers per thousand.

maybe The Woodlands should stop building those ugly cookie cutter houses and developments and start to realize that no matter how much the people that live there hate it, the fact of the matter is that they are part of AMERICA, TEXAS, AND HOUSTON and like in any country, any state, and any city theres CRIME. its not the box full of puppies they whant to make it seem

Well, I am hoping all the rescent attempts at child abduction throughout The Woodlands, by several different men (some with puppies), has woken a few people up. Its slays me that parents here think 8 year olds can go to parks by themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it's a false sense of security to think that because one lives in The Woodlands you won't ever become a crime statistic. I'd advocate The Woodlands not rely upon Montgomery County for civil services and have their own instead, especially with taxes being what they are.

Most of the subdivisions in my area of Champions and 1960 have patrol and I have yet to hear of any crime within any of the subdivisions (not that it is not happening, I'm just not aware of it). The presence of the patrol car at the clubhouse or cruising the streets is a deterent and criminals usually know which neighborhoods are patrolled and which ones are not. Sounds like most of the crime is being committed by teenagers, bored with not much to do. These sound more like vandals living in The Woodlands not inner-city crime coming to The Woodlands.

Who in their right mind lets an 8-year old go to a park by themselves? I've seen groups of 8-12 year olds, but never one by themself...

I wasn't allowed to ride my bike anywhere by myself until I was 10...and even then my mom felt better when I was with friends.

Wow, I haven't heard of any child abduction attempts in the Woodlands, was this on the news? SCARY! Can someone point me to a story, thanks!! :)

Sounds like most of the crime is being committed by teenagers, bored with not much to do. These sound more like vandals living in The Woodlands not inner-city crime coming to The Woodlands.

EXACTLY!

Who in their right mind lets an 8-year old go to a park by themselves? I've seen groups of 8-12 year olds, but never one by themself...

I wasn't allowed to ride my bike anywhere by myself until I was 10...and even then my mom felt better when I was with friends.

Wow, I haven't heard of any child abduction attempts in the Woodlands, was this on the news? SCARY! Can someone point me to a story, thanks!! :)

EXACTLY!

Parrot, go to the Associations website and woodlands watch..they only have two of the incidents there, but there have been more recently.

http://www.thewoodlandsassociations.org/ne...rhood/?page=299

ANd this guy was arrested a few weeks ago

http://www.woodlandsonline.com/npps/story.cfm?nppage=5367

Surrounding zip codes around the Woodlands have more that fair number of sex offenders, mostly against children.

How can you be worried about crime in the Woodlands, other than the little stuff that happens in EVERY suburban neighborhood?

I remember when I lived in the whitest neighborhood in the late 80s, and teenagers would knock over mailboxes and shoot b-b guns at car windows. Then we had problems with kids doing drugs in the park. This is all the same stuff you have in the Woodlands. It's not like the kind of crime that is going on all over Houston right now where you find the body of a partially clothed woman lying in a ditch.

You people should be thankful you live in a wooded enclave bordered by Spring, Magnolia, and Conroe, that's made up of desirable residents who are tax-paying and law abiding citizens. (white collar crimes aside) ;)

"You people should be thankful you live in a wooded enclave bordered by Spring, Magnolia, and Conroe, that's made up of desirable residents who are tax-paying and law abiding citizens."

Oh Please

Edit: Do have any clue how many illegals we have hiding up here in the Piney Woods?

Tons and tons and Tons of illegals. Do y'all know that the elem. son my son goes to in Tomball is a Title 1 school?

Last year they had a Kindergarten program and 3 songs were in Spanish........just so the "Mexican" class as my son puts it, can join in. He didn't even know what he was singing!!!

Last year they had a Kindergarten program and 3 songs were in Spanish........just so the "Mexican" class as my son puts it, can join in. He didn't even know what he was singing!!!

Have you voiced your concern with the school? I agree that is ridiculous. What the schools should be doing is offering English emersion. Spanish should be an elective in school and not a part of the regular curriculum.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or another on the subject, so I really don't want to get into an argument about it--but there are compelling arguments to be made both for and against English immersion and bilingual ed. programs. I think a common misconception about bilingual ed. is that students aren't taught English at all, which is not the case.

You know, it's funny you brought that up. And I agree, I don't want to argue either, but I did want to raise a point.

I was flipping channels on Saturday morning to find something for my daughter to be entertained with while I fixed breakfast. I saw "Dora the Explorer" was on, but it was on Univision (or Telemundo, I can't remember which). It was in Spanish, which didn't bother me--what DID bother me was that there was NO ENGLISH! At all! I was like WTF? The show's premise (the original, spoken in English) is to introduce Spanish words throughout the show. I was kinda irked that here it was on a Spanish channel and no English was being introduced to even give Spanish-speaking kids a start with it all.

IMHO, the "immersion" I see in our country sure isn't the English kind. But that's a topic for a different forum here :)

I was flipping channels on Saturday morning to find something for my daughter to be entertained with while I fixed breakfast. I saw "Dora the Explorer" was on, but it was on Univision (or Telemundo, I can't remember which). It was in Spanish, which didn't bother me--what DID bother me was that there was NO ENGLISH! At all! I was like WTF? The show's premise (the original, spoken in English) is to introduce Spanish words throughout the show. I was kinda irked that here it was on a Spanish channel and no English was being introduced to even give Spanish-speaking kids a start with it all.

Huh???? You were irked that a SPANISH station was showing a television show entirely in SPANISH? Did it ever occur to you that if a spanish-speaking kid wanted to watch an english-language show, they'd turn the television to an english-language channel? Yeesh...

Did it ever occur to you that the reason Dora is originally in english, with some spanish, is to give english-speaking kids (the kind who are brought up in lilly-white suburbia) greater exposure to spanish? And did it ever occur to you that the vast majority of spanish-speaking kids generally get plenty of exposure to english, thus negating the need for Dora to remain "true" to its original program? Again, yeesh...

Huh???? You were irked that a SPANISH station was showing a television show entirely in SPANISH? Did it ever occur to you that if a spanish-speaking kid wanted to watch an english-language show, they'd turn the television to an english-language channel? Yeesh...

Did it ever occur to you that the reason Dora is originally in english, with some spanish, is to give english-speaking kids (the kind who are brought up in lilly-white suburbia) greater exposure to spanish? And did it ever occur to you that the vast majority of spanish-speaking kids generally get plenty of exposure to english, thus negating the need for Dora to remain "true" to its original program? Again, yeesh...

Also, I heard that the Spanish-language Dora is supposed to have some English anyway.

I was watching Comedy Central the other day and a Kids in the Hall show came on. They were speaking Canadian. I was outraged.

Also, BET had black people on screen. The nerve.

These crazy agenda-driven stations MUST be stopped to preserve the American Way!

You know, it's funny you brought that up. And I agree, I don't want to argue either, but I did want to raise a point.

IMHO, the "immersion" I see in our country sure isn't the English kind. But that's a topic for a different forum here :)

She has to be testing out new material for a comedy gig on 'Blue Collar Comedy'. And, I must admit, THAT is damned funny. I don't care who you are, that post was funny! :lol:

This is all the same stuff you have in the Woodlands. It's not like the kind of crime that is going on all over Houston right now where you find the body of a partially clothed woman lying in a ditch.

There hasn't been a partially clothed woman in my ditch ALL MONTH! I was partially in the ditch last Friday, but I had ALL of my clothes on.

Well, I am hoping all the rescent attempts at child abduction throughout The Woodlands, by several different men (some with puppies), has woken a few people up.

I'm sure this is nothing that 'The Dog Whisperer' can't fix...probably in less than two episodes.

Also, BET had black people on screen. The nerve.

HELLLOOOOO!!!! It's called Black Entertainment Television, peopplllless!!! And BET sucks now cuz they cater to younger Blacks; I stopped watching it, so Viacom can kiss my Black ass. From now on, I watch TV One! **thumb up to real Black tv**

HELLLOOOOO!!!! It's called Black Entertainment Television, peopplllless!!! And BET sucks now cuz they cater to younger Blacks; I stopped watching it, so Viacom can kiss my Black ass. From now on, I watch TV One! **thumb up to real Black tv**

hello!!!!!! kinkaid was using something called sarcasm. :huh:

Ya know I never understood why they call it that. Where is HET (Hispanic Entertainment Television), or God forbid WET (White Enterainment Television)?

I'm not racist by any means, and I have Black friends but I still don't understand why they call it that.

But that's another thread I guess.

wet. :lol: the demographic for w.e.t. would be 18-35 year old men. advertisers would be beer, liquor, deodorant, nascar, UFC, energy drinks and so on.

do you see why there's crime in the woodlands? we can't stay on topic and we get bored when we can't go outside. ;)

Can you freaking READ?!?!? Hello, I understand that... :rolleyes: My daughter WATCHES Dora because of that fact! GO BACK AND READ MY POST! My point is that if Dora is in English with Spanish words, it would sure be nice if they reciprocated that--in fact, it would just MAKE SENSE for them to do that. Puh-leeze on the Spanish-speaking kids getting plenty of exposure to English---YEAH RIGHT! They don't have to speak it in our schools, is that enough exposure for you? AND THAT'S IN KLEIN ISD where my MIL teaches! Spare me...

"YEESH" right back 'atcha. :wacko:

Gee, RedScare, I didn't know I was a "redneck" just because I think it's important for kids to learn ENGLISH. Are you against that? Are you of the mindset that we should all be multi-lingual? Do you think English should be everyone's "second language"?

I have one more question for you, RedScare. Do you always feel that you need to make fun of someone, call them names, or belittle them in any way you can when you disagree with them?

The thread is going there....so I'll make my one and only gripe on this topic.

For the few centuries the United States has been around, all the waves of immigrants, up until this last one, learned english when they came into this country.They had to in order to get a job, and most were so honored that they made it here they wanted to learn it..... and most of them came here legally.

So what makes this wave of Mexicans so special that they not only get to come over here illegally and work tax-free, but they don't have to learn english in school or learn it in order to become employed?

Peace

---------------------------------------------------

Back to the Topic...doesn't this sound like a "City" crime? The Woodlands is not immune, its not Shangra-la as some truely think it is, and its becoming less so everyday. Sure on a daily basis its pretty tame, but there is no reason to close your eyes to it.

District 2 - Lt. Andrew Eason (South County/Woodlands)

Man Robbed and Assaulted

August 8, 11:00 p.m., a 60 year old male was the victim of aggravated robbery August 8th at 11:00 p.m. in the 11000 block of SH 242. He was flagged down by another driver and stopped, thinking the subject's vehicle was broken down. Three males exited their vehicle and demanded his money. After telling them he had no money, they threw him to the ground and began kicking him. They left the scene in a grey older model Buick.

Archived