ABC 13 News at 11am

Chris

While off for Spring Break this week I have been watching ABC 13 News at 11 am and found it interesting that Jessica Willey was sitting next to Melanie Lawson as her co-anchor. I thought Jessica Willey was a reporter. She was doing pretty good, though she did have a couple times were she messed up while reading the prompter. By the way the new MEGA Doppler is way better to look at than the Super Doppler. It is neat how they can zoom all the way down on a specific spot. ABC 13 has really been updated lately.

I know tom and minerva are both on vacation as well so they are having others fill in for them this week.

ktrk_200.minervaperez.jpg

Ah yes, Minerva, the one with the normal American accent until it comes time to say her name with the rolling of the "R"

ktrk_200.minervaperez.jpg

Ah yes, Minerva, the one with the normal American accent until it comes time to say her name with the rolling of the "R"

the r is not rolled in minerva perez' name if spoken properly. i think you may be referencing Elma Barrera.

Thank you for the definition. Do you have the reason?

management wanted to go in a new direction...i believe thom dickerson was also let go at the same time.

i will add that bob and gina gaston had a spat during hurricane allison coverage (she came back early follinwing her stint at nbc because of the hurricane) and i wondered if that just added to the situation.

management wanted to go in a new direction...i believe thom dickerson was also let go at the same time.

i will add that bob and gina gaston had a spat during hurricane allison coverage (she came back early follinwing her stint at nbc because of the hurricane) and i wondered if that just added to the situation.

Really. Did Gina and Bob verbally duke it out on the air? I think she is lousy.

Guest Marty

I watch KTRK news all my life and it's my favorite because you see the same people and know what to expect in the scheduling.

Really. Did Gina and Bob verbally duke it out on the air? I think she is lousy.

gina's already looking old and she;s only in her early 40's. bob was quite witty IMO. if you remember, gina came back to a big hooplah at 13 in the middle of allison. she wanted that top anchor spot which resulted in the eventual demise of shara fryer.

during allison. the first person she worked with was bob. a reporter was doing a live shot and i guess they were having technical diffculties during the interview and gina couldn't get the questions in and was getting a little irritated as a result. as the the live shot ended up going down, they returned to the studio where gina made a comment like "looks like they are getting testy over there"...and bob replied "as are some in the studio" because he could clearly see gina was irritated because the live shot went down. i remember we laughed but gina sure wasn't smiling. bob wasn't gone too far after that.

gina's already looking old and she;s only in her early 40's. bob was quite witty IMO. if you remember, gina came back to a big hooplah at 13 in the middle of allison. she wanted that top anchor spot which resulted in the eventual demise of shara fryer.

during allison. the first person she worked with was bob. a reporter was doing a live shot and i guess they were having technical diffculties during the interview and gina couldn't get the questions in and was getting a little irritated as a result. as the the live shot ended up going down, they returned to the studio where gina made a comment like "looks like they are getting testy over there"...and bob replied "as are some in the studio" because he could clearly see gina was irritated because the live shot went down. i remember we laughed but gina sure wasn't smiling. bob wasn't gone too far after that.

Personally I don't like Gina. Never did, I find her gabbing irritating and awkward. I miss Bob.

Personally I don't like Gina. Never did, I find her gabbing irritating and awkward. I miss Bob.

i like her on the light newscasts like the morning news or the 4pm news..but on the serious newscasts she's is too chatty. i do like the fact that they are bringing on ilona carson more at night and that new hairdo looks great on her IMO

Guest Marty
Ex-Husband? Whoa! That is news to me. Anyway, i think Melanie Lawson was much better than Gina.

I like all the members of channel 13. I try not to compere them with each other but other news cast reporters don't like me and i don't like them one of them is Isiah Carey but there's another thread dedicated to that subject.

Ex-Husband? Whoa! That is news to me. Anyway, i think Melanie Lawson was much better than Gina.

i'm pretty sure gina mentioned mario this week on the news so i'm not sure he's an ex.

i like melanie too. she has a great sense of humor and is one smart cookie.

i'm pretty sure gina mentioned mario this week on the news so i'm not sure he's an ex.

i like melanie too. she has a great sense of humor and is one smart cookie.

Trying not to stray from subject but who out there can recall that very weird and somewhat hushed up deal with Ed Brandon - weather guy? About 10 years ago he was arrested with possesion of nose candy and there was some kind of scuffle between him & some dope dealer he had ties with? He vanished for a while (rehab) and miraculously appeared out of the ashes? Had grown quite rotund while away so apparently he was being fed well. True story not Hollywood innuendo, trust me. Answers?

Trying not to stray from subject but who out there can recall that very weird and somewhat hushed up deal with Ed Brandon - weather guy? About 10 years ago he was arrested with possesion of nose candy and there was some kind of scuffle between him & some dope dealer he had ties with? He vanished for a while (rehab) and miraculously appeared out of the ashes? Had grown quite rotund while away so apparently he was being fed well. True story not Hollywood innuendo, trust me. Answers?

You'll find posts on that topic here

I was wondering has anyone seen any old footage of KTRK ABC 13? What was it like?

Better yet, It sure would be nice to see some vintage footage of "The Larry Kane Show" on KTRK.. I spent my pre-teen and teen years (1963, 64, 65, etc..) glued to the tv when it came on on. It was he Houston version of American Bandstand.. and when they came to dance on the beach in Galveston...wow.. it was like Hollywood came to town... I wonder whatever happend to all the "kids" that danced on that show.. They should have a reunion..they would be in their fifties, early sixties or so..

• 2 months later...

I'm just curious, Has ABC 13 not found anyone to anchor the 11am newscast since Minerva Perez left? Lately they have had a different person sitting next to Melanie Lawson like every day or every other day. Why don't they just have Sharron Melton co anchor along with Melanie on the 11 am newscast. Today they had Andy Cerota co anchor. He's doing a great job, but I thought he was a reporter. Notice they don't go through the theme music/pictures of who's on the newscast before they go on to the first commercial break. They don't have a permenant team for 11am.

I'm just curious, Has ABC 13 not found anyone to anchor the 11am newscast since Minerva Perez left? Lately they have had a different person sitting next to Melanie Lawson like every day or every other day. Why don't they just have Sharron Melton co anchor along with Melanie on the 11 am newscast. Today they had Andy Cerota co anchor. He's doing a great job, but I thought he was a reporter. Notice they don't go through the theme music/pictures of who's on the newscast before they go on to the first commercial break. They don't have a permenant team for 11am.

with minerva leaving unexpectedly, it takes time for a station to put out a requisition for a new anchor unless they want to give someone from within a chance.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what happened to Melanie Lawson? Today on TV at Marvin Zindler's Funeral she had a cane. The type of cane where there is a hole for your arm I think. I wonder what happened, I hope she is ok.

Does anyone know what happened to Melanie Lawson? Today on TV at Marvin Zindler's Funeral she had a cane. The type of cane where there is a hole for your arm I think. I wonder what happened, I hope she is ok.

she has ms and has for years.

Archived