Historic Houston Ice Houses

roym

Anyone remember the various ice houses around Houston? I imagine there were a lot at one time. The kind I'm thinking of were mostly open-air, reach-in coolers and, of course, the primary pastime was drinking beer. Were these places called bars back then? They didn't server liqour, though.

Two I remember in the early to mid-70s were Ruth's and Bang's.

Bang's was on Bissonet Street approximately in the area of Newcastle near the railroad tracks. It was open on three sides if I remember right. Anyone have any pictures of this one?

Ruth's (if that was what it was called) was somewhere in the area of S. Shepherd Drive and W. Alabama. I can't remember now exactly where it was. There is some sort of school in that area and Ruth's was in the neighborhood across the street from there. Ruth ran the place and had an attached apartment she lived in. It was open on at least one side and she kept a large cage with one or two pet squirrels in it. I managed to drive by there and find it in the early 90's. The building was actually still there.

I believe "G's" icehouse is still functioning in Deer Park. There is a great ice house over off of Sage, southside of 59 by Carroll's office furniture, maybe a little further down. My old favorite, The "DAM" ice house, got sold and turned into some bikini bar. You got a couple of Little Woodrow's.

Woodrows does not count IMHO.

I think he's talking about the true ice houses which are now forbidden by ordinance.

There were some gems up and down telephone road. Especially near Airport Blvd. I'd see guys there drinking at 7am on my way to school.

Also some really trashy ones up and down Old Galveston Road.

West Alabama Ice House is a prime example of one of the real ones.

I believe "G's" icehouse is still functioning in Deer Park. There is a great ice house over off of Sage, southside of 59 by Carroll's office furniture, maybe a little further down. My old favorite, The "DAM" ice house, got sold and turned into some bikini bar. You got a couple of Little Woodrow's.

The DAM ice house and the Hops House (stretching the definition of ice house) were my favorites when I lived out that way. The crowd at the Dam Ice House looked scary when until you sat down had a beer and got to know them. Pretty nice people actually. Finest display of Harleys you'll ever find. I used to love taking my '63 Grand Prix up there to show off. Brought back a lot a memories for some. Seems like almost every biker there wrecked a Pontiac sometime in the '60s. :D

I think he's talking about the true ice houses which are now forbidden by ordinance.

There were some gems up and down telephone road. Especially near Airport Blvd. I'd see guys there drinking at 7am on my way to school.

Hold up. . . Your from Southeast? I kinda had a feelin. . .

It ain't a real ice house if it's not open-air!

I used to do a lot of drinking at Scooter's Ice House on Telephone Road in Pearland. That's a BIG ice house...two-story garage doors!

There was another (Paul's?) on Telephone Road just north of the airport. I believe the owner was killed there just a few years ago. I only drank there a couple of times.

Not too far away from those places, there was one on Almeda-Genoa a few miles west of Almeda Mall. I remember stopping there with my dad when I was younger.

You've also got Jimmy's Ice House, on White Oak near Studemont. Good place for a drink and a smoke.

There's the Yellowstone Club on Yellowstone...I don't know if it qualifies, since I don't ever see them open the garage doors!

Of course there's the older-than-dirt W. Alabama Ice House (since 1927?).

There were countless ice houses in South Houston and Pasadena when I was a kid...I think there are still plenty of them around. I would check Preston Avenue, Genoa-Red Bluff and Old Galveston Road.

Anyone know why they're outlawed? I'm guessing violent incidents or is it just because the drinking etc. is open for all to see?

Are icehouses a Texas phenomenon? When I first came here I had never seen or heard of such a thing. They seem very "texas" and it's a shame we have to lose another interesting cultural characteristic along with every Mom & Pop type business that continue to get replaced by the large retailers.

Yep - I havent been to Woodrow's so cant compare. But if they're like the Willie's IceHouse chain they don't qualify. LOL Sure, copious amounts of beer are consumed there but I think of those mainly as burger joints. Willie's does have garage doors that they open when the weather is right.

My step-dad used to run by either Bang's or Ruth's (probably others I dont remember) when we were out running errands and have a couple of cold ones, share some stories with his buddies, etc. Then it was off to the hardware store...

Can't remember any of these places ever having food except for chips and candy.

What ordinance forbids ice houses? I've never heard of one. The only thing that may get rid of them is people's affinity for air conditioning.

The original ice house doesn't really exist because people now have freezers. But, the reincarnation, i.e. Jimmy's or W. Alabama are alive and well.

And, Papa's Ice House in the Woodlands and on Lake Conroe both do very well...and are somewhat authentic, even if the clientele is mostly hot 23 year old Woodlanders...like there's anything wrong with that!

I remember so many growing up on the so.east side, Denver Harbor to be exact. There is Palmers IH. there was Eddies IH, Rocky's IH, Ray's IH so many back in the 70's. My parents used to take me to Palmers and then I grew up to party there, lol. I didn't even know that it was a TX thing until I moved out of state and my mom came to visit as asked "Hey, where are all the ice houses", lol

When i used to work off of woodrige, i used to get alot of dollar bills stamped with that name!

Anyone remember the various ice houses around Houston? I imagine there were a lot at one time. The kind I'm thinking of were mostly open-air, reach-in coolers and, of course, the primary pastime was drinking beer. Were these places called bars back then? They didn't server liqour, though.

Two I remember in the early to mid-70s were Ruth's and Bang's.

Bang's was on Bissonet Street approximately in the area of Newcastle near the railroad tracks. It was open on three sides if I remember right. Anyone have any pictures of this one?

Ruth's (if that was what it was called) was somewhere in the area of S. Shepherd Drive and W. Alabama. I can't remember now exactly where it was. There is some sort of school in that area and Ruth's was in the neighborhood across the street from there. Ruth ran the place and had an attached apartment she lived in. It was open on at least one side and she kept a large cage with one or two pet squirrels in it. I managed to drive by there and find it in the early 90's. The building was actually still there.

Mike's Icehouse was the Bomb! Located on Westpark and Fondren during the 70's and 80's. Hamburgers to die for. And the railroad tracks were behind it in case. :wacko:

Mike's Icehouse was the Bomb! Located on Westpark and Fondren during the 70's and 80's. Hamburgers to die for. And the railroad tracks were behind it in case. :wacko:

There is a new incarnation of Mikes on the road just East of Fondren and just North of Westpark.

• 1 month later...

Back during the first half of the previous century {19 & sum'n} there was an Ice mfg'r plant @ the corner of Airline Dr. & No. Main Str. Anyone remember itz name and address. My brother & I wood really enjoy going by it ea. day to/from school. Grab a bag full of ice chips each afternoon. Would stand very near the huge blocks of ice mfgr'd there to stay cool during the hot muggy summer months.

Respectfully

Danny Mac

I've been a patron of Jimmy's on WHite Oak for a long time. Since the new owner took over, it has been upgraded a bit but otherwise is one of the few constants around. I don't like seeing microbrews in the fridge behind the bar. I prefer to see the old timers knocking back their High Life from the ice box.

There is/was an ice house on Highway 3 just south of Nasa Road 1/528 called Carlos' that was the scene of many a beer drinking endeavor when I was 17 trying to act 30 and keep from getting my a## kicked. I don't know if it's still there. They had both kinds of entertainment....horseshoes and washers.

It ain't a real ice house if it's not open-air!

I used to do a lot of drinking at Scooter's Ice House on Telephone Road in Pearland. That's a BIG ice house...two-story garage doors!

There was another (Paul's?) on Telephone Road just north of the airport. I believe the owner was killed there just a few years ago. I only drank there a couple of times.

Not too far away from those places, there was one on Almeda-Genoa a few miles west of Almeda Mall. I remember stopping there with my dad when I was younger.

You've also got Jimmy's Ice House, on White Oak near Studemont. Good place for a drink and a smoke.

There's the Yellowstone Club on Yellowstone...I don't know if it qualifies, since I don't ever see them open the garage doors!

Of course there's the older-than-dirt W. Alabama Ice House (since 1927?).

There were countless ice houses in South Houston and Pasadena when I was a kid...I think there are still plenty of them around. I would check Preston Avenue, Genoa-Red Bluff and Old Galveston Road

Still plenty of them around the Hobby area: South Houston, Almeda-Genoa, and Hwy 3. There is one still west of Almeda mall on Almeda Genoa, probably the one Timmy Chan was talking about. I had a beer there about a year ago. A couple more on Hwy 3 east of Shavor. Oh, yea. There is one called "Whispering Pines", east of 45, on Shaver . Go towards Pasadena on Shaver after exiting 45 (left), then after about one block, turn left on first light. It's hidden behind an old nursery. It used to be somewhat secluded by undeveloped land surrounded by trees. Now there are new homes butting up to it. I dont think that place will survive with all the development around there. But who knows. Oh yea, I had a beer there too one day.

My favorite is Carlos Beer Garden, about 1 block southeast of NASA Rd. 1, on hwy 3 in Webster. Ive been going there for almost 20 years. Best greezy burger in town. Whats cool about that place is that Carlos also owns the barber shop next door...a tiny little 1 room "house". You can bring your beer and drink it while you get your hair cut. A pretty good looking blonde girl sometimes has the shift and is very friendly. In the magazine racks, they have playboy. There claim to fame is that several astronauts get there hair cut there. It's not too expensive, you get $2 off if you have thinning hair. (I always get the 2-dollar credit). Plus, I drink beer while I'm there. And when the hair cut is done, you get to go next door and drink more beer.

Another one, The Outpost - not realy an ice house - but has the feel of one, sorta. It looks like its always ready to catch on fire. How it passes city code is beyond me. I drank beer there, also.

This just crossed my mind for some reason, not much to do with Ice Houses, but the time-frame brings me back I guess. Remember Texas Tapes and Records? I miss those good old days, why can't we go back...

[Depressed, 2112 slowly walks to his refridgerators, so that he may get another beer.]

There is/was an ice house on Highway 3 just south of Nasa Road 1/528 called Carlos' that was the scene of many a beer drinking endeavor when I was 17 trying to act 30 and keep from getting my a## kicked. I don't know if it's still there. They had both kinds of entertainment....horseshoes and washers.

Woops. I just read your post, after I posted mine, above. So I guess my post has answered your question. In fact, I was at Carlos last Saturday having a hamburger on the way to Frys Electronics. Carlos' son actuallly runs the Beer Garden, while the old man still cuts hair next door. Carlos is doing just fine. What I like about Carlos Beer Garden is that although it does have that engineering geeky crowd that goes there, its of the older generation, including the retirees and practically dead variety. And doesnt attract to much of the new NASA engineering geeks trying to impress everyone (That's what Mollys is for, up about 4 miles off of El Camino). Dont get me wrong, Mollys is OK. It's just getting too prepie for my comfort.

end RANT;

• 4 months later...

hangoutscolor.jpg

Easy Riders Hwy 249, 5/10 mile south of FM 1774 and Hwy 149 split Pinehurst, Tx

Phone: 281-356-4767 - ice house grand opening labor day weekend, cookoff, Poker run, live music, free Bar-B-Q door prizes. Biker owned super place to hang out.

Big Daddy's 4027 Fm 2920 Rd Spring, TX 77388-3240

Phone: 281-288-1212 - between favel and ella on fm 2920. biker friendly small bar with good service.

Bryant's Ice House 26913 Katy Fwy Katy, TX 77494-1067 Phone: (281)392-5741 - I travel for a living and my scoot goes w' me everywhere. I have no personal gain by informing y'all that this is one of the best biker watering holes I've encountered. Off the beaten path, live bands on weekends and lingerie shows every Thurs. evening. I feel it would be a cryin shame not to have em on your list. Good people!! Located just west of Houston on the west side of Katy just off Interstate 10.

The Hawg Stop Sheldon Rd. Channelview, Tx

Easy to find, hwy. 90 east of Houston, to Sheldon Rd. left on Sheldon. If you pass refinerys, or you can't find it on Sheldon rd., go home, your too drunk to putt. Biker bar deluxe, pool, bands super cold beer, boat races on a lake built for the purpose. A "biker first" bar. Delmer is the owner. All are welcome and the crowd is super friendly. BBQ cookoffs, etc.

Cherokee Country Club 1909 North Pruett Street Baytown, TX 77520 Phone: 281-427-5066

County Line 13850 Cutten Rd Houston, TX 77069-2217 Phone: (281)537-2454

Cruiser's Ice House 9002 FM 2004 Santa Fe, TX Phone: 409 925-4778 - Biker friendly and live music on weekends

Nomad Tavern 2133 Bingle Houston, TX

Phone: No Phone Open air icehouse with friendly bikers and daily beer specials

Shady Tavern 1206 W 20th St Houston, TX 77008

Phone: (713)869-7000 - Great outdoor patio. Excellent bands and outdoor concerts in the summer. Cheap cold beer and very biker friendly.

Shorty's 239 Dike Rd Texas City, TX 77590

Phone: (409)945-7841 - biker friendly, free food Sunday's 2pm till its gone, open 7 days a week

Shovelheads Bypass 35 Alvin, TX

Phone: 281-388-2100 - happy hour 2-7, tuesday bike night, very biker friendly

Silver Fox Ice House 9505 Almeda Genoa Rd Houston, Tx

Phone: 713-943-7670 - Located in S.Houston take I45-South to rt on Almeda Genoa bar is approx 2mi on the right. Bar is air conditioned with a view thru glass of your scoot. Bands-Dj , full bar, Very Biker friendly, pool tables, most bar games, ot chicks, old beer, rock and roll and country music.

Slices Beach Bar 8th and Seawall Galveston, TX

Phone: 409-762-5073 - Great open air bar across from beach with LOTS of bike parking out front. Bands on Fri & Sat - friendly barstaff -- full bar and a kitchen cooking pizza, 1/2lb burgers and deli sandwiches.

Thirsty's Icehouse 192 FM 3083 Conroe, Tx Phone: 936-441-1050 - Right off Hwy 105 east, 50 miles north of Houston. Biker owned

Woody's 1700 seawall Blvd Galveston, Texas

Phone: (409)763-1616 - ice house style bar, biker owned & operated, across the street from the Gulf of Mexico, full liquor bar, knock-out staff put's Hoter's to shame.....

Archived