Home At 2145 Southgate Blvd.

mpbro

There's a cool MCM home just around the corner from me, at 2145 Southgate (photo included). The owner notes:

Restored 1965 mid-century Modern house (architect Charles Thompsen). Quiet and private, this small house feels spacious with all rooms looking onto (with floor to ceiling glass) landscaped courtyards. Has great trees front and back.

My home, at 2134 MacArthur, will go on the market in 2 weeks. It's not "MCM" per se, but an interesting 1952 ranch style on about a 135-degree angle on a wedge-shaped corner lot.

My home, at 2134 MacArthur, will go on the market in 2 weeks. It's not "MCM" per se, but an interesting 1952 ranch style on about a 135-degree angle on a wedge-shaped corner lot.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling in that neighborhood. Did you by any chance purchase any of the homes original furniture? I love the round dining table with green chairs that was originally in the den.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling in that neighborhood. Did you by any chance purchase any of the homes original furniture? I love the round dining table with green chairs that was originally in the den.

Heh-heh, nope, it was an estate sale, and the vultures...err, I mean heirs, quickly snapped up some of that fantastic mod furniture. :-( They left us with all sorts of other crap, though. I'm sad to say we used a lot of that crap!

There's a cool MCM home just around the corner from me, at 2145 Southgate (photo included). The owner notes:

Restored 1965 mid-century Modern house (architect Charles Thompsen). Quiet and private, this small house feels spacious with all rooms looking onto (with floor to ceiling glass) landscaped courtyards. Has great trees front and back.

Geez, what is that giant white thing next door? ;) Wonder if they can see into the courtyard from their 2nd story windows...

In person the next door house didn't look so intrusive. Wish we could afford that neighborhood. It would be perfect for us to be even closer into town. You wouldn't really expect to see MCM in that neighborhood.

Geez, what is that giant white thing next door? ;) Wonder if they can see into the courtyard from their 2nd story windows...

In person the next door house didn't look so intrusive. Wish we could afford that neighborhood. It would be perfect for us to be even closer into town. You wouldn't really expect to see MCM in that neighborhood.

I think the lady who submitted the photo to voxproperty (the owner) airbrushed the house next door. ;-)

It is to my knowledge the only really obvious MCM home in the nbhd. There are quite a few 70's and 80's homes. A fairly interesting pair of homes was built in 1984, probably the last time that a single lot (11000 sqft) was subdivided in Southgate. One of those homes, 2019 McClendon, is currently listed at $719K.

What the neighborhood lacks is some real nice examples of ranch styles on sprawling lots. Prevailing lot size is below 10000 sqft. I like the ranches in Old Braeswood (west of Morningside) better.

The prices really have increased over the past 3-4 years. I'm kind of sick of being in such an urban environment (suburbs??? :wacko: ), though it was great when my wife was doing her MBA at Rice. The southern third of the nbhd has no sidewalks, and increased traffic with the Kirby crap going on. Kind of sucks when you want to take the stroller out...

Also, if you are back in Southgate again, check out some of the custom newbuilds on Southgate Blvd. If I get motivated, I'll post some photos.

2203 Southgate is about 5 houses west of 2145 -- ultra-modern custom with some interesting angles.

Right across the street (21-something) is a massive brick box about 3/4 of the way done.

There's a fantastic Tudor-style house about 5 doors east of 2145 -- not "mod" by any stretch, but the attention to detail on the brickwork makes me very happy. Not cheap!

The biggest "mod" is a custom house at 2102 Southgate. It is almost 5400 sqft, and is fairly interesting, if a little box-like. Though I'm not a big fan of the stucco...yucko!

Edited by mpbro

OK... sorry but I have to say something. We're truly talking about architecture, not zoned schools. Anyone can see that on the HAR listing.

I always bring up a mention of zoned schools whenever talking about residential complexes or houses publicly on sale (NOT including senior citizen homes, of course) - I simply mention the zoned schools as of writing - most districts release zoning maps and/or school locator/finder tools.

Not all HAR listings list the zoned schools, and some do not get the districts correct. The VOX Property listing did mention the zoned schools.

HAIF was renamed to Houston Area Information Forum because the scope has moved beyond architecture. Hey, it's perfectly okay to discuss architecture, but other Houston-related topics are acceptable too :)

There are families who may love Houston architecture but may wish to move into a home zoned to desirable schools.

Edited by VicMan

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

-_-

A year later but good update...

I was talking with someone who knows the folks that purchased the home - seems the house has landed in good hands :)

I just saw this old thread... it caught my eye because this was our address for 4 years (the new owners bought this house from us last year). I can confirm that the house is now in great hands! The current owners (one of whom is an architect) are taking it up another notch, doing more restoration and sensitive updating. It's a truely great space with a courtyard in every room. (And yes, it was featured in a commercial a few years back... how do y'all KNOW these things?!) 5 years ago there was another old, small modern a block east from this house, but that one met the wrecking ball.

• The title was changed to Home At 2145 Southgate Blvd.