Midtown Could Use A Change

what

Correct. ...Midtown and Bellaire are 2 different places today and hopefully it will develop and do as well as bellaire someday. It sure looks like they are doing something right in bellaire and perhaps one day Midtown will be able to get on its feet and be as successful as bellaire. However, i don't see it happening until some change is made and people stop to consider the longer term aspects of the area and deciding what is really important and actually meaning it.

Just curious. Are the median prices of homes in Bellaire more than the ones in West University?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like either 1) you're a business owner in downtown or 2) a resident in downtown.

Downtown is not coming back strong. Quite a number of bars/clubs have closed in the past several months alone. Have you been dowtown after 5pm on a weekday or on weekends? As for businesses not opening in Midtown and choosing downtown instead, I don't think that's the case. A new piano bar is going in on Hadley and Lousiana. A new seafood restaurant is going in on McGowen and Travis. I believe Camden apartments and retail is going in on that SuperBlock on Main. What businesses do you know of that have decided not to open in Midtown and instead open in downtown?

[/quot

You must be in a different town or something, and must not read the papers much ? Apartments are good for Midtown and a block-buster video and marble slab. In response to your question my response would be that there are probably not many that would open in Midtown over downtown in the first place because it was not an option as is the case at Pavilions and all the tenants there. However, there might be a few that aren't happy with the decision that might have to live with it. Pavilions is going to short-circuit the retail in Midtown, stay tuned. write it down.

Ps-

QUOTE(H-Town Man @ Tuesday, March 13th, 2007 @ 1:52pm) post_snapback.gifBy contrast, everything proposed for the superblock has failed, Pointe Center Midtown failed, and the mixed-use developments discussed by Metro at Wheeler and in the Medical Center as far as I know are history. If you recall the hubbub before the opening of the Main St. line, it was supposed to spark a renaissance of new urbanism in Midtown. Remember the Main St. Master Plan? So far we haven't seen one development go up on Main St. in Midtown.

Correct. ...Midtown and Bellaire are 2 different places today and hopefully it will develop and do as well as bellaire someday. It sure looks like they are doing something right in bellaire and perhaps one day Midtown will be able to get on its feet and be as successful as bellaire. However, i don't see it happening until some change is made and people stop to consider the longer term aspects of the area and deciding what is really important and actually meaning it.

you obviously have a set vision if you think bellaire is that successful. midtown probalby has more money going thru it now than bellaire does.

i will say that midtown has a long way to go to reach the state of urban wonder. land is expensive and the owners will do what they want to do, not what you want most likely. i peronally find midtown boring because the age groups that frequent the clubs. for me, it means that they are just short term establishments like the clubs in downtown. the younger groups tend to be more fickle and will move on when something new opens.

you obviously have a set vision if you think bellaire is that successful. midtown probalby has more money going thru it now than bellaire does.

i will say that midtown has a long way to go to reach the state of urban wonder. land is expensive and the owners will do what they want to do, not what you want most likely. i peronally find midtown boring because the age groups that frequent the clubs. for me, it means that they are just short term establishments like the clubs in downtown. the younger groups tend to be more fickle and will move on when something new opens.

What i am trying to say is that Bellaire has some real direction. It has preserved it's neighborhood feel and has areas that you can walk around and gather,etc. Yet it has managed to not get over-run by commercial and unbalanced by someone trying to make a quick buck. The galleria area is like downtown basically to Bellaire . Midtown has Downtown. Bellaire has Galleria. That is what I mean, but they don't compete with each other directly. They actually compliment each other by not trying to compete. So with that being said it doesn't impress me to hear that a bar is opening up in Midtown, because i honestly don't believe it is going to benefit the area or the residents in the long run or the operators who dive in. How many can this small neighborhood area actually sustain or want to sustain before residents don't get tired of the noise and parking,etc.? I do see that having a drug-store and essentials as being important. However, I don't think it is so important to be able to walk to a night club. With the property values so high as mentioned herein I am also hard pressed to believe that there are going to be enough young single folks that can afford to live there and to sustain the area. That is probably already one problem, which is why apartments makes sense from an afordability standpoint. Familys seem to be able to afford to be located in the higher end areas, but if they are not conducive to those types then they probably won't want to live there.

I thought this whole neighborhood thingy is what Midtowners crave ?

What i am trying to say is that Bellaire has some real direction. It has preserved it's neighborhood feel and has areas that you can walk around and gather,etc. Yet it has managed to not get over-run by commercial and unbalanced by someone trying to make a quick buck. The galleria area is like downtown basically to Bellaire . Midtown has Downtown. Bellaire has Galleria. That is what I mean, but they don't compete with each other directly. They actually compliment each other by not trying to compete. So with that being said it doesn't impress me to hear that a bar is opening up in Midtown, because i honestly don't believe it is going to benefit the area or the residents in the long run or the operators who dive in. How many can this small neighborhood area actually sustain or want to sustain before residents don't get tired of the noise and parking,etc.? I do see that having a drug-store and essentials as being important. However, I don't think it is so important to be able to walk to a night club. With the property values so high as mentioned herein I am also hard pressed to believe that there are going to be enough young single folks that can afford to live there and to sustain the area. That is probably already one problem, which is why apartments makes sense from an afordability standpoint. Familys seem to be able to afford to be located in the higher end areas, but if they are not conducive to those types then they probably won't want to live there.

I thought this whole neighborhood thingy is what Midtowners crave ?

if nothing new is happening in bellaire, i personally wouldn't say they have real direction. your comparison of bellaire, galleria, downtown and midtown seems weak but i understand your intent. i do agree with your belief concerning too many bars and long term sustainabllity. as for apartment prices....i think they start at about 1000 for 1 bedroom, which isn't enough for a familiy.

many crave an environment where residential and commercial are mixed. i understand but commercial needs more business than the residential can provide which means people must drive in from somewhere. which means parking must be provided. but the parking aspect is something the residents don't want. but this would conflict with the goals of the commercial establishments which is to gain customers.

Bellaire seems to be more family oriented than Midtown. 2 seperate things all together. I dont think people with families tend to purchase townhouses over a free standing home and Midtown seems to be more townhouse/apartment oriented. I could be wrong.

Im not trying to be funny here, but don't Midtowners want to have a more family like small community in the shadow of downtown atmosphere anyway regardless of the type of structure built ? I think the family environment or sense of community are similar. Or do Midtowners want to be able to walk their children to the bar for a drink and then to the cafe afterwards for coffee ?

Im not trying to be funny here, but don't Midtowners want to have a more family like small community in the shadow of downtown atmosphere anyway regardless of the type of structure built ? I think the family environment or sense of community are similar. Or do Midtowners want to be able to walk their children to the bar for a drink and then to the cafe afterwards for coffee ?

i'm not quite in agreement. midtown is probably too energetic for someone to raise children in. i think they do want the community atmosphere, but not necessarily one to raise children in.

i'm not quite in agreement. midtown is probably too energetic for someone to raise children in. i think they do want the community atmosphere, but not necessarily one to raise children in.

Fine.fine. they may, they may not. who knows ??? they want a sense of community right ? i think we are splitting hairs.. hopefully you get the idea now !!! :) LOL

Fine.fine. they may, they may not. who knows ??? they want a sense of community right ? i think we are splitting hairs.. hopefully you get the idea now !!! :) LOL

yes but to be like the bellaire is not what midtown wants. your comparison was out there for me and probably anyone who's lived in houston for any substantial time.

yes but to be like the bellaire is not what midtown wants. your comparison was out there for me and probably anyone who's lived in houston for any substantial time.

Must agree, Midtown was intended for young professionals no matter how we look at it. That was and still is the main focus.

I personally would not dream of raising children in a mostly single atmosphere but that's my personal experiences, upbringing whatever. Then there are those that have not problem taking a baby to a rock concert or festival (which is totally bizarre to me) and such neglect of the child's well being. These are the kind of venues where you never know what might happen especially with booze flowing & partying people. Case in point Midtown is still primarily for the younger set or single divorce' group. Peace! :(

So you must know what midtown wants ? please don't say whole foods. Ha !

here is what TrophyProperty said in another thread:

I too live in Midtown. I bought my townhouse at a time when I was working nearby at the American General Center, was single, and was going out alot.

Fast forward two years. I am now living with my Fiance, work in the Galleria, and rarely hit the bars anymore. Living in Midtown is not the same for me. I think If I had been working in the Galleria and been living with someone when I was looking to buy I might have looked elsewhere. I love the area, but I also am concerned with the pace at which Perry and Urban Lofts have been developing.

I own a Perry, mainly because I could not afford anything in the higher price range, but I think they have really over built the area. I think slower development would be a better alternative in Midtown. With low interest rates, these builders are able to churn out the product way to fast and out pace the absorbtion.

I am terrified of the future. It is already hard enough for re-sales in the area. If interest rates spike we (midtown owners) may find ourselves with an over abundance of product and no willing buyers. If I were single and wanted to stay in the area I would be OK with waiting it out, but I do not want to raise a family in a 2150 SF Townhouse with no backyard. My fingers are crossed that I will not get caught in a bad period.

With all that said I am thinking of re-doing the kitchen. I must be a lunatic.

If I were single and wanted to stay in the area I would be OK with waiting it out, but I do not want to raise a family in a 2150 SF Townhouse with no backyard.

sounds like he's agreeing with the majority here. midtown isn't really optimal for raising families, it is for singles/couples without children.

sounds like he's agreeing with the majority here. midtown isn't really optimal for raising families, it is for singles/couples without children.

I don't think it is really optimal for anyone at this time, and has a ways to go. I think that this is what the majority here thinks.

I too live in Midtown. I bought my townhouse at a time when I was working nearby at the American General Center, was single, and was going out alot.

Fast forward two years. I am now living with my Fiance, work in the Galleria, and rarely hit the bars anymore. Living in Midtown is not the same for me. I think If I had been working in the Galleria and been living with someone when I was looking to buy I might have looked elsewhere. I love the area, but I also am concerned with the pace at which Perry and Urban Lofts have been developing.

I own a Perry, mainly because I could not afford anything in the higher price range, but I think they have really over built the area. I think slower development would be a better alternative in Midtown. With low interest rates, these builders are able to churn out the product way to fast and out pace the absorbtion.

I am terrified of the future. It is already hard enough for re-sales in the area. If interest rates spike we (midtown owners) may find ourselves with an over abundance of product and no willing buyers. If I were single and wanted to stay in the area I would be OK with waiting it out, but I do not want to raise a family in a 2150 SF Townhouse with no backyard. My fingers are crossed that I will not get caught in a bad period.

With all that said I am thinking of re-doing the kitchen. I must be a lunatic.

It depends on what your idea of ideal is. There are parks a plenty within close proximity of Midtown for my wife and I to take our children to. Additionally, we each enjoy short commutes and receive two extra hours a day that would be taken by driving to spend with our kids. Coming home to take care of the kids is easy as well. We have an easy walkable neighborhood where we can walk to the grocery store or take the train down to the Hermann park, museums, the doctor, or events downtown and the stadium. Soon we will also be able to take the train to go to the Pavillions which will provide more family friendly entertainment without the need for driving.

Now, if good for families necessarily entails having a yard, then yes, Midtown is not for you.

You must be in a different town or something, and must not read the papers much ? Apartments are good for Midtown and a block-buster video and marble slab. In response to your question my response would be that there are probably not many that would open in Midtown over downtown in the first place because it was not an option as is the case at Pavilions and all the tenants there. However, there might be a few that aren't happy with the decision that might have to live with it. Pavilions is going to short-circuit the retail in Midtown, stay tuned. write it down.

Read the papers much? I've read the papers. 12 Spot, Mercury Room, MBar have all closed downtown. I work in the Park Shops and it's embarassing pointing tourists toward "the mall." Have you been in "the mall" in Park Shops. LOL.

Oh and so you do either live Downtown or have a business Downtown. I found this post by you on the downtown forum.

[quote what:

Obviously, Downtown is soon to be "Once Again" the new and this time lasting hotspot. Midtown as you might know was a ghetto and has come a long way as downtowns neighborhood. It is going to settle back into the shadow of downtown, as it should and sophisticated operators will select downtown for real business. ]

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=151717

Instead of bashing Midtown because it's suceeding and Downtown is not, why don't you go recruit some retail for Downtown?

If I were single and wanted to stay in the area I would be OK with waiting it out, but I do not want to raise a family in a 2150 SF Townhouse with no backyard. My fingers are crossed that I will not get caught in a bad period.

You can't raise a family in 2150sf townhouse? What? Your joking right?

You can't raise a family in 2150sf townhouse? What? Your joking right?

yes i am joking. it's impossible. is there a book on how much sf is required to raise a family that i haven't read ? i guess families can't get raised in apts. either, so it sounds like Midtown is out on that note. Wow, it seems that you guys make some great points as well ! LOL

Midtown has come a long way, but it seems to have sub-neighborhoods that have developed differently. I think the best long-term potential for Midtown to be Bellaire-like is on the east side, closer to 288, where a huge number of townhomes have been (over?) built. I don't know how it will do over time, but at least there is a strong owned-residential base.

I think the part of Midtown west of the Main Street dead zone will be less stable over time. Although it has had higher-profile develpment, the combination of large concentrations of rental apartments, nightclubs, and block after block of wide streets with fast traffic limits limits its long-term attractiveness.

Midtown will never become like a Bellaire without the equivalent of planning or zoning authority that Bellaire has. Otherwise property values are too much at risk.

yes i am joking. it's impossible. is there a book on how much sf is required to raise a family that i haven't read ? i guess families can't get raised in apts. either, so it sounds like Midtown is out on that note. Wow, it seems that you guys make some great points as well ! LOL

But didn't Buffy and Jodie grow up in a high rise expensive Apt bldg in New York? Why not a townhome? Just kidding! :lol: Look it's Mrs Beasley too!

fmr01.jpg

I want to see a revitalization around the Sears/Fire store/Fiesta in that area, and also see a Sugarland-Town Centre-type development in Midtown. Like a pedestrian square surrounded by the regular busy streets. That'd be cool. There's a difference between being a historic building, and being a building that looks rundown, which is what Sears kinda looks like over there these days.

But didn't Buffy and Jodie grow up in a high rise expensive Apt bldg in New York? Why not a townhome? Just kidding! :lol: Look it's Mrs Beasley too!

fmr01.jpg

That's funny. I never knew they lived in midtown too. I am getting the feeling that people would get jealous if the Brady's home was relocated to Midtown, due to its grand size.

I see that Midtown will become LESS of a family oriented place.

Midtown has one elementary school within its boundaries (J. Will Jones Elementary School) - The school serves most of Midtown.

Jones now has 349 kids from K-5 of 2005-2006, down from 381, 415, 440, and 450 in the previous set of years.

Elementary schools that serve other sections of Midtown:

* Gregory-Lincoln ES (Fourth Ward/Freedmen's Town) (EE-5 out of EE-8) - Has 259 pupils of 2005-2006 - serves northeast sections of Midtown

* MacGregor ES (East of the Museum District/Binz area) - Has 387 pupils of 2005-2006

Two middle schools serve Midtown

* Gregory-Lincoln MS (6-8 out of EE-8) - Has 367 pupils of 2005-2006 - serves just about all of the Midtown district EXCEPT for a small sliver south of U.S. Route 59

* Ryan MS (Upper Third Ward) - Has 581 pupils as of 2005-2006 - serves the small sliver of Midtown south of U.S. Route 59, which includes one residential property

Two high schools serve Midtown

* Lamar HS (Upper Kirby/River Oaks) - Has 3,539 pupils as of 2005-2006 - serves almost all of Midtown except for a small northeast portion

* Reagan HS (Houston Heights) - Has 1,720 pupils as of 2005-2006 - serves a small northeast portion of Midtown

Now, since the property values are driving poor families out of Midtown, I suspect that J. Will Jones ES may close, and the kids may be forced to transfer to Gregory-Lincoln and/or MacGregor. HISD has made NO announcements about this.

But, my point is that Midtown probably no matter what will be more of a singles urban area than a family area. Out of all of the schools shown, only Lamar HS seems to appeal to middle and upper income families (As Lamar also serves West U and River Oaks). As wealthier people move in, the people kicked out of Midtown will enroll their children in other schools in HISD and other districts.

As wealthier people move in, the people kicked out of Midtown will enroll their children in other schools in HISD and other districts.

or maybe some private schools will develop. i'm pretty sure there's a private school on main near the bus station. (houston can academy perhaps?)

I remember hearing about a year or 2 ago that J Will Jones' days are numbered.

Can someone slap a photo of this school so we can all see it? By numbered does this mean to be razed or remodeled or reinvented as a different curriculum.

My curiousity has me wondering if it is the one on Almeda that is about 75 years old with dark brick? Anyone assist? :P

or maybe some private schools will develop. i'm pretty sure there's a private school on main near the bus station. (houston can academy perhaps?)

Houston Can! Academy, a charter public school, serves mostly kids who are at-risk for completing high school education.

* Official website: http://www.texanscan.org/Enrollment.asp

* Greatschools profile: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/browse_school/tx/85

St. Agnes School used to be located in Midtown until it moved to Sharpstown.

Can someone slap a photo of this school so we can all see it? By numbered does this mean to be razed or remodeled or reinvented as a different curriculum.

My curiousity has me wondering if it is the one on Almeda that is about 75 years old with dark brick? Anyone assist? :P

J. Will Jones is located at 1810 Stuart.

Based on what I saw, I do not believe that it is a particularly charming campus.

I see that Midtown will become LESS of a family oriented place.

Midtown has one elementary school within its boundaries (J. Will Jones Elementary School) - The school serves most of Midtown.

Jones now has 349 kids from K-5 of 2005-2006, down from 381, 415, 440, and 450 in the previous set of years.

Elementary schools that serve other sections of Midtown:

* Gregory-Lincoln ES (Fourth Ward/Freedmen's Town) (EE-5 out of EE-8) - Has 259 pupils of 2005-2006 - serves northeast sections of Midtown

* MacGregor ES (East of the Museum District/Binz area) - Has 387 pupils of 2005-2006

Two middle schools serve Midtown

* Gregory-Lincoln MS (6-8 out of EE-8) - Has 367 pupils of 2005-2006 - serves just about all of the Midtown district EXCEPT for a small sliver south of U.S. Route 59

* Ryan MS (Upper Third Ward) - Has 581 pupils as of 2005-2006 - serves the small sliver of Midtown south of U.S. Route 59, which includes one residential property

Two high schools serve Midtown

* Lamar HS (Upper Kirby/River Oaks) - Has 3,539 pupils as of 2005-2006 - serves almost all of Midtown except for a small northeast portion

* Reagan HS (Houston Heights) - Has 1,720 pupils as of 2005-2006 - serves a small northeast portion of Midtown

Now, since the property values are driving poor families out of Midtown, I suspect that J. Will Jones ES may close, and the kids may be forced to transfer to Gregory-Lincoln and/or MacGregor. HISD has made NO announcements about this.

But, my point is that Midtown probably no matter what will be more of a singles urban area than a family area. Out of all of the schools shown, only Lamar HS seems to appeal to middle and upper income families (As Lamar also serves West U and River Oaks). As wealthier people move in, the people kicked out of Midtown will enroll their children in other schools in HISD and other districts.

Just send the kids to private school! It's not that expensive and certainly better than putting them in the zoo that public schools have become.

Archived