Julia Carson-Pauline Lucia Home At 3904 Brandt St.

dbigtex56

Those intimately acquainted with the Montrose neighborhood may be familiar with a house near the corner of Brandt and Sul Ross; it's surely one of the more lovely reminders of a once gracious neighborhood.

(photo submissions appreciated)

Movie buffs might recognize it as the home of the bitter old miser (Stacy Keach) in the 1970 Robert Altman film Brewster Mc Cloud.

Grateful acknowledgment to HAIF member 'patsy' for providing the following information:

The Lucia House was built by Vincenzo Lucia probably in the early 1900's. He relocated his family from West Dallas where I believe he lived above the Magnolia Macaroni Factory which he founded. He was also one of the first board members of the First City Bank which became First City National Bank. His portrait shows him to be a portly prosperous gentleman with a walrus mustache looking a lot like Teddy Roosevelt.

His granddaughter, Carmen Lucia Dickerson, has been my best friend for all of my 62 years and I can remember visiting the house on Sul Ross to visit her grandmother on holidays. The house was left to her son, Anthony Lucia who owned Lucia Insurance Agency. I cannot tell you about the future of the house.

You can read about the Lucia family in a book of Houston Italian families that can be found at the Italian Cultural Center on Milford Street off of Montrose. It is a very colorful family and the 3 story house was filled with beautiful antiques and a massive dining room table for family gatherings. It also has a basement. The family gatherings all took place before the freeway cut though a lovely neighborhood filled with houses not quite so grand as Mama Lucia's.

Another contact would be Gregory Lucia, Attorney. He wrote the article for the Italian Book and I'm sure he could tell you any historical facts you would like to know about the house.

Thanks, patsy.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I realize this property has been discussed on a past topic, but it has been a few years, so I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me

I recently bought this house and am looking for any old photographs of this house: either exterior or interior. I am going to apply to have the house placed on the National Historic Register and any documentation will help. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or other information about the house would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is that in the bounds of First Montrose Commons? If so, you may have already asked the group, but I'd start there (or any neighborhood group it's in). I know Sixth Ward has a collection of appraisal images (not sure of the dates) of many homes and also have pulled together some from personal collections. I'd contact someone there to see how they acquired them. Archives out there may help too, depending on who the designed it, did the construction, etc.

• 10 months later...

Interesting, I was looking for information on Magnolia Macaroni/Vincenzo (aka Charles) Lucia and ended up at this ancient post! His macaroni factory was on W. Dallas (San Felipe back then) and House St. - House St. is now about where the parking lot is just east of I-45 along Dallas - it was two blocks east of Heiner St. He lived almost next door to the factory at the west corner of the block.

He died in 1927 but Magnolia kept on until about the early 1950s - shortly thereafter the factory was demolished and Magnolia and anything about it pretty much disappeared as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Lucia House At 3904 Brandt St.
  • The title was changed to Julia Carson-Pauline Lucia Home At 3904 Brandt St.