Pillot Building At 1012 Congress St.

dbigtex56

Tonight I noticed that the ground floor of the Pillot Building is vacant. The portion formerly occupied by Burger King has a sign on the door saying "Closed Indefinitely".

Does anyone know if there's a problem with the building, or if this is just a lease dispute?

PillotBuilding-001.jpg

probably lease dispute. i was talking with someone who works for reliant who shuts off power when tenants/owners don't pay. he mentioned that he recently shut off power to at least 5 businesses in the area for failure to pay.

Edited by musicman

probably lease dispute. i was talking with someone who works for reliant who shuts off power when tenants/owners don't pay. he mentioned that he recently shut off power to at least 5 businesses in the area for failure to pay.

Harris County's website indicates the building is theirs:

www.hctx.net/fpm/DowntownCourtHouseComplex.aspx

Pillot Building

Annex 16

1012 Congress St.

Houston, TX 77002

• 5 weeks later...
The building is owned by Harris County, but it is leased to someone else under a long term (e.g. 50-60 year) ground lease.

paul bettencourt mentioned this building specifically when METRO went after the parcel in midtown. he said because this isn't being used for county business specifically but is owned by the county, taxes must be paid.

• 15 years later...

From the thread titled "Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene - More Coming": An update about the ground floor tenant at the Pillot Building, 1012 Congress St.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:39 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Looks like Christians tailgate DT has permanently closed 😞. I really liked this spot as a casual unpretentious sports bar. 

5 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

From the thread titled "Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene - More Coming": An update about the ground floor tenant at the Pillot Building, 1012 Congress St.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:39 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Looks like Christians tailgate DT has permanently closed 😞. I really liked this spot as a casual unpretentious sports bar. 

Moving into the vacated ground floor unit at the Pillot Building downtown (1012 Congress St) is Fabian's Latin Flavors.  

I'm assuming the restaurant is relocating to the former Christian's Tailgate spot. Fabian's Latin Flavors opened a few years ago at 301 Main St.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Pillot Building (1012 Congress St.)
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 8:22 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Moving into the vacated ground floor unit at the Pillot Building downtown (1012 Congress St) is Fabian's Latin Flavors.  

I'm assuming the restaurant is relocating to the former Christian's Tailgate spot. Fabian's Latin Flavors opened a few years ago at 301 Main St.

Are you sure? I walked by the spot the other day and a guy working said they are just renovating the spot for Christian's Tailgate. 

• The title was changed to Pillot Building At 1012 Congress St.