METRO Pearland Park & Ride?

Yes there is one there. The only real purpose I see for it is for car and vanpooling. You often see several of the vans in the outer portion of the Target parking lot.

Brian

That is the temporary place until the main facility gets approved/built. From what I interpreted from the presentation they showed the city of pearland, it seemed to have a bus and train terminal. Light rail has also been talked about in the area.

Other developments in the area...Monday, April 2, 2007. Trophy Investments is scheduled to have a joint public hearing to discuss and/or have approved a zoning change to PD from BP-288 for their upcoming project called South Gate Crossing. Letters have been sent to property owners to send their comments and two that I know of are in favor (One was mine). This project and along with the CBL mall, and Metro, will have this area smoking for the next two years.

G

• 4 weeks later...

That is the temporary place until the main facility gets approved/built.

Its not a temporary place, its been there almost since 288 was built, they have another one in Angleton, and it you head far enough out of Houston on any non interstate you will see these type lots. (35, 59, 90, and others) TxDOT put those things in years ago for people who were carpooling from an area to use. Metro and the current plans had nothing to do with the placement of those lots.

That is the temporary place until the main facility gets approved/built.

Its not a temporary place, its been there almost since 288 was built, they have another one in Angleton, and it you head far enough out of Houston on any non interstate you will see these type lots. (35, 59, 90, and others) TxDOT put those things in years ago for people who were carpooling from an area to use. Metro and the current plans had nothing to do with the placement of those lots.

I think he's referring to the parking lot in Target. That surely hasnt been there since 288 was built. :)

• 2 months later...

Does anybody have any updated info on this issue? Is Metro actually going to start operating a bus service from Pearland to the med center, and if so, when?

Thanks!

My wife are I love the houses and neighborhoods, especially SilverLake, but I'm dreading my commute into the medical center.

Does anybody have any updated info on this issue? Is Metro actually going to start operating a bus service from Pearland to the med center, and if so, when?

Thanks!

My wife are I love the houses and neighborhoods, especially SilverLake, but I'm dreading my commute into the medical center.

I know several people in Pearland that work in the Med Center. They leave about 6:00 and are at work between 6:20 and 6:30. Obviously working later will take more time as rush hour traffic builds. Not a bad commute as far as suburbs go.

While 288 has its share of traffic, it doesn't compare to some other Houston area freeways.

It's actually a very reasonable drive from West Pearland to the med center. . . outside of the rush hour. I think if you get on the road before 6:45 you should be okay and either leave work before 4:45 or after 6:30. Traffic is relatively light now, so don't let it fool you.

I live in SCR and take 521 all the way into the mid-town area (west of downtown) and it usually takes about 35-45 minutes during peak time. I think I make it to the med center in about 25-35 minutes.

Will they be adding in an HOV lane in each direction once METRO comes in?

I believe that they're going to have to wait for TXDOT to pull the trigger on a rebuild of 288, at which point they get managed lanes like there will be on the Katy Freeway.

I believe that they're going to have to wait for TXDOT to pull the trigger on a rebuild of 288, at which point they get managed lanes like there will be on the Katy Freeway.

what i didn't understand was why they planted trees in the median of 288 esp when the empty space in the middle was for some high occupancy transit.

what i didn't understand was why they planted trees in the median of 288 esp when the empty space in the middle was for some high occupancy transit.

No kidding. Surely the intensity of landscaping right there could've been turned into less intense landscaping along freeways throughout the Houston area that are less prone to be rebuilt in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: TXDoT Responds to Landscaping Question - Mixed News for Pearland...

Landscaping issue

Former Chronicle transportation reporter Dan Feldstein asked why TxDOT has done so much landscaping and planting in the median of Texas 288, since the space soon will be needed to carry traffic from the fast-growing Pearland area. A small forest is growing in the median, from near downtown to the Texas Medical Center. And it is true that TxDOT may build two new lanes in each direction there, probably for high-occupancy vehicles and toll customers.

TxDOT forester Dana Cote said the usual policy is not to landscape a median where reconstruction is expected within the next 10 years. He said that was the case on Texas 288, also called the South Freeway, when the landscaping began three years ago as a shared project between the department and Trees for Houston.

But Pearland and surrounding areas "exploded, and the demand on the roadway has become much greater than expected," he said.

"We will leave the trees in place for as long as possible," Cote said. "In this case we anticipate five or, maybe, six years." Then, if feasible, he said, TxDOT will transplant them to a nearby site.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...it/5029045.html

That's certaintly good news...

But I'm not sure why they're doubtful of its potential benefit.

The primary complaint I hear about Pearland is that "288 is a parking lot during rush hour". A metro-solution would not only solve that crisis significantly, but it'd also attract ALOT of residents simply by offering an alternate mode of transportation.

Contact City Council and tell them you WANT METRO!

E-Mail: council@ci.pearland.tx.us

• 7 months later...

Any updates on this? Will there be a Metro bus line between Pearland and the med center? If so, when? If not, what other alternatives are under consideration? Thanks.

As George mentioned upthread, Pearland didn't want to be solely responsible for paying for a facility that residents of surrounding cities would take advantage of. I think they were looking for alternatives. Maybe shared funding?

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Lampson, a senior member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, has requested $1.5 million for a Pearland Park & Ride facility as part of the House transportation budget.

If Lampson's efforts are successful, the $1.5 million would likely go towards building a permanent Park & Ride facility in the Texas 288 area, according to Pearland City Manager Bill Eisen.

http://blogs.chron.com/pearland/2008/04/pa...n_pearland.html

This is terrific news. Gathering the money was proving to be the most difficult part, so this fund allocation should put the project on the front-burners...

While certainly in favor of public transportation and a rider myself via the Fuqua Park and Ride into downtown I only have one question \concern. A park and ride lot on 288 would still have to travel the main lanes without the benifit of an HOV lane, at least in the interum until such time as 288 is significantly rebuilt wouldn't it? And if so would that not greatly effect ridership in a negative way? While saving gas is great on the Park and Ride I think the real benifit is the times saving of the HOV. Spending this amount of money and making those long term commitments that the city would have to make I think it might be in their best interest to wait until the rebuild of 288 was well on its way. Otherwise ridership could be severlly lacking.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

The park and ride should be done next year. What about the HOV lanes though?

There won't be HOV lanes. Instead, if TxDOT's interim plan goes ahead, there will be two reversible toll lanes in the median from US59 (it'll probably be signed as I-69 by the time construction begins) to CR58. If TxDOT goes with the ultimate plan, there will be a 4 lane facility in the median from US59 (future I-69) to CR60. I think the lanes will be operated in a similar fashion to the Katy Tollway lanes, which are free to HOV traffic during certain hours, but single occupant vehicles must pay a toll at all times, and HOV traffic must pay a toll during certain hours

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to METRO Pearland Park & Ride?

Archived