METRO Pearland Park & Ride?

Another poster mentioned some details about this in the Pearland Retail Development thread. This article from the Pearland Journal provides additional details

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...32247&rfi=6

Seems that Metro and The Medical Center are working together on this and want to tap into the nearly 4000 Medical Center employees who live in Pearland.

I hope some type of bus service starts up. We're contemplating moving down to Pearland within the next 1-2. I work in the Med Center, and would love to use public transportation if possible.

I'm wondering though . . . If the bus stops three times, and has to get off 288 each time, the whole trip from Pearland to the Med Center would take more time than a drive commute. Unless the buses themselves remove so much traffic from 288 that the overall traffic load is reduced.

I hope some type of bus service starts up. We're contemplating moving down to Pearland within the next 1-2. I work in the Med Center, and would love to use public transportation if possible.

I'm wondering though . . . If the bus stops three times, and has to get off 288 each time, the whole trip from Pearland to the Med Center would take more time than a drive commute. Unless the buses themselves remove so much traffic from 288 that the overall traffic load is reduced.

Yep, without an HOV lane for the buses AND three stops, unfortunately, the bus will probably take longer to arrive at one's destination by 10-15 minutes. For every one person that takes the bus, 2 more are moving into SCR and areas further south that will use 288. This project, while a nice thought, will do very little to relieve 288 traffic unless further infrastructure modifications are made.

Seems that Metro and The Medical Center are working together on this and want to tap into the nearly 4000 Medical Center employees who live in Pearland.

...and the councilmembers said they don't want to burden their constituents with another vote to pay for this according to the article.

...and the councilmembers said they don't want to burden their constituents with another vote to pay for this according to the article.

Actually, they are more concerned that Pearland residents will be footing the bill for a service that folks from other area will benefit. One of the council members asked if metro could raise the price of the ticket to compensate for that. I am willing to bet that is what we will see in the end. Heck, the propsed cost is extremely low as compared to the price of a gallon of gas. I am not sure what parking costs in the Med Center, but I imagine that is also a cost savings worth considering in the price of a ride.

G

Actually, they are more concerned that Pearland residents will be footing the bill for a service that folks from other area will benefit. One of the council members asked if metro could raise the price of the ticket to compensate for that. I am willing to bet that is what we will see in the end.

and just how are they able to determine who's from pearland and who's from friendswood, etc? when you're talking transportation matters, i just don't see how you can charge more for a service like this. that's like saying the harris county toll road people will charge brazoria residents more to use the toll road.

pearland is growing so quickly that there is little to be done to alleviate the traffic nightmare is about to happen. To my knowledge there are no plans in the pipeline to fix this. The only solution that I can see happening quickly is building an HO lane from pearland with exits at BW8, 610, Med Center and 59. A better long range and two prong solution would to build the HOV and a light rail system out to pearland or a P&R relatively close to it so residents don't have to drive that far if they don't need to.

Pearland is going to get ugly before it gets better.

Actually, they are more concerned that Pearland residents will be footing the bill for a service that folks from other area will benefit. One of the council members asked if metro could raise the price of the ticket to compensate for that. I am willing to bet that is what we will see in the end. Heck, the propsed cost is extremely low as compared to the price of a gallon of gas. I am not sure what parking costs in the Med Center, but I imagine that is also a cost savings worth considering in the price of a ride.

G

Hey Fishman, are you going to the council meeting tonight? The special meeting agenda indicates that they will give an update on current projects. Now does this mean all current projects in Pearland or just the projects that Pearland is working on? If you are going, please take good notes and post a summary for all to see.

Another problem as it stands is the obstacle the buses face once they exit the freeway (or vice versa). It looks as if it will be a bigger problem in the evening than in the morning, but a problem at the least during both time periods, as traffic at FM 518 can be overwhelming, and the lot in question exists off the main road towards the back of the shopping complex.

Pearland is also technically out of METRO's sales tax district, so it's limited in how much it can invest in a full blown Pearland P&R that would be similar to one that you would see it Katy, Spring, Cypress or the Bay Area.

Pearland city council is very concerned about the financial impact on their community, especially now that it appears they are going to be investing quite heavily in road improvements to match population growth.

Pearland city council is very concerned about the financial impact on their community, especially now that it appears they are going to be investing quite heavily in road improvements to match population growth.

they should have been concerned in 2004 when the traffic on 518 heading towards 288 on a saturday evening was a sea of red lights.

I think part of the problem will be that pearland doesn't want to seem that they are getting themselves ready for annexation.

Again, a suburb wants the benefits of a city without paying for it.

Perhaps I'm ignorant to the process but who's going to annex Pearland? It's a city, with a mayor and a city council. It's not like Kingwood or Clear Lake. Maybe I'm misunderstanding :) .

Of course nobody is going to annex Pearland, but nobody moves to Pearland for jobs. That's for sure.

I find it odd to see Pearland poor-mouth the topic. More people is more taxes, and we know they have a lot more people than they did back in the 80s.

My only question was one about the comment someone made about annexing. I was confused about that statement, not whether or not someone moves to Pearland for a job.

As far as I know, there are no office parks in the area, but there are a number of small oil related industries thrown in the area. It's getting to the point that the only employment in the area is mostly in a support roll for the population.

No, we're not broke in Pearland, and neither are the citizens. Part of what you see playing out in these kinds of issues are the new vs the old. The west end of Pearland is new, the one time power brokers of Pearland mostly live in East Pearland. They and their supporters are having a hard time facing the rapidly changing demographics of the community. Large parts of the west end of Pearland are still within MUDs and not yet annexed so they are unable to vote in city elections. Since as of the last city council race it only took I think about 2,000 votes or less to get elected the old power guys have retained their seats on council, but as a good friend of mine who lives in Silverlake likes to say, things are going to change once we get the vote. Since any transit solution on 288 will be seen as benifitting only westenders the current city government is not in a hurry to alienate their base by charging them to pay for the improvements.

What this all boils down to is Pearland as a city is not very removed from its past. It was a small community with a few "rulers" and as the story goes if you wanted to be elected to city council or the school board for many years you had to seek the approval of a small group who essentially held the power. If they blessed you you usually won, if they didn't you usually lost. Until Pearland fully shakes that mentality it will be hard to get solid commitments towards some of the improvements people are seeking. Pearland has a big bond election coming for $162 million and in it they address some transportation issues like feeder roads on 288 but not a whole lot of other help for the west side.

While I support the improvement of transportation options on the west end I must admit that I live on the east end closer to 45 than 288. I have lived there for 14 years and have been waiting on the widening and improvement of Dixie Farm Road from Beamer to 35 and they just started that in October of 2006. They also announced that it will only go to 518 and that the piece from 518 to 35 is part of the bond election. In otherwords its taken 14 years to do something they assured me was going to happen soon after I moved to Pearland so don't hold your breath waiting on improvements to the west side. Of course the west end does have the tax base and the shine of the newness so they may get the money, while I wait another 14 years before they break ground for Dixie Farm Road from 518 to 35 to happen.

Hey Fishman, are you going to the council meeting tonight? The special meeting agenda indicates that they will give an update on current projects. Now does this mean all current projects in Pearland or just the projects that Pearland is working on? If you are going, please take good notes and post a summary for all to see.

Yes, I plan on being there tonight and will be happy to post anything of interest. Heck, I am even beating the local papers nowadays. LOL The project update workshop is a regular monthly agenda item and they are very thourough (I just cannot seem to spell this word) on the projects, new and old. They are great sources of information and I highly recommend attending them if you live in the Pearland area. I must disclose, though, that my interest lies in the HWY 288 (mostly) and the hwy 35 Corridors; because I own property off both, and if they are not talking on those subjects I usually do not stick around very long.

G

and just how are they able to determine who's from pearland and who's from friendswood, etc? when you're talking transportation matters, i just don't see how you can charge more for a service like this. that's like saying the harris county toll road people will charge brazoria residents more to use the toll road.

I don't think price descimination will be the answer. My best guess is that everyone on that line will pay the same.

G

I think part of the problem will be that pearland doesn't want to seem that they are getting themselves ready for annexation.

Again, a suburb wants the benefits of a city without paying for it.

A city cannot annex a city. If you have watched Pearland grow over the last 10 to 15 years, you will see that they finger annexed over the years to reach the desired borders and have been filling in the gaps ever since.

G

No, we're not broke in Pearland, and neither are the citizens. Part of what you see playing out in these kinds of issues are the new vs the old. The west end of Pearland is new, the one time power brokers of Pearland mostly live in East Pearland. They and their supporters are having a hard time facing the rapidly changing demographics of the community. Large parts of the west end of Pearland are still within MUDs and not yet annexed so they are unable to vote in city elections. Since as of the last city council race it only took I think about 2,000 votes or less to get elected the old power guys have retained their seats on council, but as a good friend of mine who lives in Silverlake likes to say, things are going to change once we get the vote. Since any transit solution on 288 will be seen as benifitting only westenders the current city government is not in a hurry to alienate their base by charging them to pay for the improvements.

What this all boils down to is Pearland as a city is not very removed from its past. It was a small community with a few "rulers" and as the story goes if you wanted to be elected to city council or the school board for many years you had to seek the approval of a small group who essentially held the power. If they blessed you you usually won, if they didn't you usually lost. Until Pearland fully shakes that mentality it will be hard to get solid commitments towards some of the improvements people are seeking. Pearland has a big bond election coming for $162 million and in it they address some transportation issues like feeder roads on 288 but not a whole lot of other help for the west side.

While I support the improvement of transportation options on the west end I must admit that I live on the east end closer to 45 than 288. I have lived there for 14 years and have been waiting on the widening and improvement of Dixie Farm Road from Beamer to 35 and they just started that in October of 2006. They also announced that it will only go to 518 and that the piece from 518 to 35 is part of the bond election. In otherwords its taken 14 years to do something they assured me was going to happen soon after I moved to Pearland so don't hold your breath waiting on improvements to the west side. Of course the west end does have the tax base and the shine of the newness so they may get the money, while I wait another 14 years before they break ground for Dixie Farm Road from 518 to 35 to happen.

Total in agreement on your comments. In fact, the next election holds two candidates for council. Kevin Cole and Woody Owens and they are unopposed. I personally hope it stays that way because they are both good for the city, even though Kevin is strongly against extending Business Center Dr across my property.

G

Dixie/518/Broadway, etc. will always be the real Pearland to me. I grew up in the Friendswood/Pearland/Southbelt area.

It was a huge deal when they finally busted Scarsdale into Green Tee.

I agree I believe that is the true heart of Pearland.

The way it's expanding I find interesting, if they dont' do something to help alleviate their current crop of problems, they will find the city slowly dying as people will no longer wish to endure the horrible traffic jams that's due in the area in the near future.

Total in agreement on your comments. In fact, the next election holds two candidates for council. Kevin Cole and Woody Owens and they are unopposed. I personally hope it stays that way because they are both good for the city, even though Kevin is strongly against extending Business Center Dr across my property.

G

Fishman,

Did you happen to make the Council meeting yesterday? If so, any good updates?

I don't think price descimination will be the answer. My best guess is that everyone on that line will pay the same.

G

i agree, price discrimination is not the answer.

i was just reponding to your comment where you thought that was the solution.

"Actually, they are more concerned that Pearland residents will be footing the bill for a service that folks from other area will benefit. One of the council members asked if metro could raise the price of the ticket to compensate for that. I am willing to bet that is what we will see in the end. "

i agree, price discrimination is not the answer.

i was just reponding to your comment where you thought that was the solution.

"Actually, they are more concerned that Pearland residents will be footing the bill for a service that folks from other area will benefit. One of the council members asked if metro could raise the price of the ticket to compensate for that. I am willing to bet that is what we will see in the end. "

Actually, I was stating what one of the council members said and that I agreed in that will probably be what happens. Years back there was a proposal brought to the Houston City Council that wanted to charge non-Houston residents who worked in Houston $1:00 per day(I believe this wat the number) surcharge for the opportunity to work there and live somewhere else. As I remember, another motivator of this idea was to help cover the costs of money leaving the city everyday (the inversed money multiplier), and the ammenities folks used and were not being taxed on as those in the city. I believe the costs were made up in other areas like parking rate increases, hotel taxes, cab fare fees, etc.

Usually contingency money is set aside for project over runs. My hopes would be that we are not having that many over runs and that the city can be find the needed dollars rather than pass costs on.

G

Fishman,

Did you happen to make the Council meeting yesterday? If so, any good updates?

Yes I did. Just normal business last night and everything that was voted on passed.

For the eastenders, Dixie farm road will close for the weekend of March 31 for a planned installation of conduit and Yost road will open. Yost will be one of the dtour routes.

G

• 2 weeks later...
Another poster mentioned some details about this in the Pearland Retail Development thread. This article from the Pearland Journal provides additional details

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...32247&rfi=6

This weeks worksho agenda item

http://cityofpearland.com/vertical/Sites/{...144191E1F8}.PDF

I will be out of town at a conference. My apologies in advance for not being able to provide an after meeting report.

G

any more spies in the area we can rely on? Surely we can't rely on only a "McKee" for reports. :)

I have a friend at work that said he may be able to attend. I also called the city and they said I can buy a the taped session for $1.00 when it comes available. I am not sure how long that will take.

G

I have a friend at work that said he may be able to attend. I also called the city and they said I can buy a the taped session for $1.00 when it comes available. I am not sure how long that will take.

G

Yes there is one there. The only real purpose I see for it is for car and vanpooling. You often see several of the vans in the outer portion of the Target parking lot.

Brian

Archived