The Gypsy Poet At 1050 Studewood St.

cwrm4

So the hot, disturbing rumour circulating throughout the neighborhood is that Walgreens is planning to build on the SE corner of 11th and Studewood, on the site of the current Texas Tamales Factory, and the adjoining lots.

The Tamales Factory looks pretty bad, but the opposing corners are Someburger, 11th Street Cafe, and Dacapos, which all fit nicely with the Heights vibe.

It sickens me to think of a Walgreens there, but, if I'm the guy trying to carpet Houston with Walgreens, that's a spot I'd choose.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?

I'm not sure how a 70s era former 7-11 reflects a Heights vibe, but I am confident that there is some Heights resident who could make the SE corner "historic". Walgreens has numerous stores with a brick facade that could be unobtrusive in that location. I wouldn't mind one there. In fact, new construction that replaces old 7-11s can invigorate the the intersection and should be encouraged.

The Tamale Factory does have some good grub, though. Hopefully, they would not move too far away.

So, will the new CVS be across the street from the new Walgreens, or cattycorner from it?

I suspect catty-corner to it; whether or not Tillman bought it is still a subject of debate, but Someburger looks like an easy target...

If the Walgreens fronted both sides of the street, looked Heights-ish, and had parking behind it or well-off the corner, I would not be opposed. But I fear a building set well off the street. I do not think in any way the former 7-11 reflects a "Heights Vibe"; I'd like to see it replaced with *something* that does. A suburban Walgreens is not it.

Edited by cwrm4

So, will the new CVS be across the street from the new Walgreens, or cattycorner from it?

...and loose Someburger??? No way, Jose! :P

I'm OK with a Walgreens there as long as the Tamales Factory relocates nearby-I'm just not sure there's enough room for a Walgreens unless they aquire the entire block from Studewood to Oak Ridge and from 11th to Davis Hardware.

If they do build, it would be nice if they took a cue from CVS at Yale and 20th.

That's what I was thinking. And, I would have no problem with that. If the building was pushed up toward the intersection, with the parking south and east of the building, it could look pretty good. Only driving (or biking) 4 blocks to get my sundries, plus the middle school kids only have to walk across the street for their condoms (j/k!) would be nice.

Now, if Heights residents would communicate positive suggestions for the building, as opposed to their usual knee-jerk nazi opposition, we might actually get something we could use that does not detract from the neighborhood.

What are the odds of THAT happening? :blink:

Guest Malvoe

I'd rather see the uber-ugly tamale factory stay than have a Walgreens built at that site. There is already a CVS and another Walgreens less than a mile away, Target is about a mile away, plus there are MANY more pharmacies in the area. I just don't see the benefit, or demand for that matter.

Although, if they put one in, maybe they could replace the Decapo's building with a bank, 11th St Cafe with a Mexican restaurant, and knock down Someburger for another car wash. That would be great.

You know, I saw that sign for the first time last week. It had me doing a double-take. :lol:

I asked one of the employees about that sign and he said it's because they were from Mission, TX, which is in the southern part of the state.

"But is still north of the border..."

"Yeah, but it's in South Texas."

The food is good, but that explanation made my head hurt.

I asked one of the employees about that sign and he said it's because they were from Mission, TX, which is in the southern part of the state.

"But is still north of the border..."

"Yeah, but it's in South Texas."

The food is good, but that explanation made my head hurt.

if they are latin, it's too bad because their spanish is horrible. the word is tamal (pl. tamales)

if they are latin, it's too bad because their spanish is horrible. the word is tamal (pl. tamales)

Is this the tamal or tamale thread. please clarify ? are they the same thing ?? i am afraid to mention the word Tex-Mex as in food. there is no telling how confusing it would become discussing the pronunciation of words like Chimy-changa ? what's this topic about again anyway ?

The Tamale Factory has good tamales, and they seem to be doing enough business, since they're still around. And it looks like they are farming some profits into improvements (like the paint job) so I think they'll be there a while. The CVS/Walgreen's thing is probably just a rumor without much basis. At least, I hope so.

Concerning their geography, the "South of the Border" thing is disconcerting, but not a good reason to pass up their food IMO.

As for their linguistics, I think thier use of "tamale" is essentially correct. Tamale as it is rendered in Nahuatl is the singular, and my understanding is that inanimate objects did not necessarily receive plural treatment in Nahuatl grammar. And if it did, it would not have been an "s" on the end. Perhaps after the Conquest, the Spanish used the word with the "s" to make the plural?

Is this the tamal or tamale thread. please clarify ? are they the same thing ?? i am afraid to mention the word Tex-Mex as in food. there is no telling how confusing it would become discussing the pronunciation of words like Chimy-changa ? what's this topic about again anyway ?

in spanish there is no such thing as a tamale. tamal is the singular version of tamales. mostly likely an english speaker just dropped the s and voila, tamale. there is probably an indian derivation and spelling as well but most mexicans still speak spanish.

just as there is no such thing as chicken fajitas. fajitas are beef.

as for chimichanga, i'll bet it is US creation.

Edited by musicman

in spanish there is no such thing as a tamale. tamal is the singular version of tamales. mostly likely an english speaker just dropped the s and voila, tamale.

So if one wanted to make a politically incorrect remark about an attractive woman, she should correctly be called "a hot tamal"? :)

So if one wanted to make a politically incorrect remark about an attractive woman, she should correctly be called "a hot tamal"? :)

well if she was hispanic, she might be thinking "wow a gringo that can speak spanish! let me marry that man!" LOL

Edited by musicman

Can you imagine some foreign speaking person making a similar slip up with an english slang?

Like, what if they took "Hot mama" and accidentally/unknowingly dropped the second a? She'd be a hot mam, which would really get him/her into trouble.

Or dropped the t in 'hot'...

in spanish there is no such thing as a tamale. tamal is the singular version of tamales. mostly likely an english speaker just dropped the s and voila, tamale. there is probably an indian derivation and spelling as well but most mexicans still speak spanish.

just as there is no such thing as chicken fajitas. fajitas are beef.

as for chimichanga, i'll bet it is US creation.

If you're done with your spanish lesson and hijacking another thread, could we keep it on topic?

Therefore, the Planning Commission denied the application without predjudice asking that the developer go back to the drawing board.
http://www.planetizen.com/node/18129

This is similar to what Walgreens was confronted with when they wanted to build at Heights and 20th. The Heights Association tried to work with them but they were intractable. So Walgreens lost and CVS won with a more site-sensitive design.

From the April 2006 HHA Newsletter:

Commercial New ConstructionThe CVS Pharmacy building (Tom Smith, manager) at 110 W. 20th St. was nominated by Janet Buchheit. The building replaced a boarded-up building and a neglected vacant lot. CVS worked hard to accommodate the concerns of the Heights Land Use committee with siting, design, and landscaping

...and loose Someburger??? No way, Jose! :P

I'm OK with a Walgreens there as long as the Tamales Factory relocates nearby-I'm just not sure there's enough room for a Walgreens unless they aquire the entire block from Studewood to Oak Ridge and from 11th to Davis Hardware.

Trying to stick to the topic of course:

I have no problem with a Walgreen's.

However, will throw myself under the bulldozer if they even think of touching Someburger!

Now, that lousey Yugly Tamale dump place caddy corner from Someburger needs to be imploded.

I will light the fuse!

Belongs on Crater Houston Alliance-Ugly Bldgs you'd like to implode. Not only is it painted a horrible color, its obvious it used to be a 7 Eleven or something. It looks so out of date and plain tacky, gaudy & pathetic. Ruins the whole intersection and seems like an adult theater from passerby's. Plain fonky.

No one even think of touching Stardust Antiques! We worship! One of a kind items for sure. City has way too many Taqueria's already. 1 less wouldn't hurt a bit. :D

• The title was changed to Walgreens On Corner Of 11th St. And Studewood St.
  • 1 month later...

Since this is the earliest topic I was able to find about 1050 Studewood St (on the corner of E 11th St. and Studewood St.), I'll add on to it.  

I like seeing a chronological timeline of sorts in topics like this. Maybe some here are the same. It's useful seeing changes over the years, proposals, and discussions. There are some who may like to see these kind of updates (even if they're outdated), so when scrolling through the topic, there's a timeline of what's happened or will happen (I hope that makes sense)

Older posts discussing the property at 1050 Studewood. In recent years it was a Stop-N-Go, then the Houston Tamale Factory, Liberty Kitchen, and Fegen's.

1050 Studewood in 2007 when this was home to Houston Tamale Factory.

25MRKpb.jpg

NiefbmH.jpg

Posts regarding 1050 Studewood from the Studewood Development topic:

On 9/25/2008 at 12:28 PM, heights_yankee said:

there is a for lease sign in front of the tamale factory at 11th. anyone???

On 9/25/2008 at 4:11 PM, RedScare said:

Too close to the middle school. I don't think you could even get a 50% drink permit (more than half your sales must be non-alcoholic) there.

Welcome back, Yank! Does this mean you have power? Norhill had a bunch of power lines laying all over the place.

On 9/25/2008 at 9:32 PM, heights_yankee said:

well, i am not surprised they are going out. their hours are worse than dacapos and they sign doesn't make any sense... i was just wondering if anyone knew any scoop...

thanks. good to be back. we got power back on Tuesday. we actually went to austin for a few days and san antonio for a couple more. no power + 20 mos old = misery. there are still lines down. the big'uns are actually comcast and at&t. none of those across norhill were live power. the guys who fixed us up were from Maryland. super nice. i literlaly got teary eyed when i walked outside and saw them pulling on to my street.

red- were you long in the dark?

On 10/6/2008 at 7:27 AM, tanith27 said:

During my weekly Saturday morning breakfast burrito trip I asked the owners. They said the landlords are upping the rent to a price point they can't afford. They say the building is really in bad shape and needs a lot of work, which they dont feel obliged to do themselves. I agree their hours of operation are so bizarre it probably doesnt take much of an increase for them to no longer become profitable. Either way, their lease on this place runs out in December, and they are looking to do what so many others seem to be doing along Studewood right now: opening up their own restaurant. They're talking with a real estate agent trying to find a good location with room for a patio deck. They also have a second location somewhere downtown.

On 10/6/2008 at 7:10 PM, Heights CPA said:

I visited there for the first time last Saturday. The barbcoa was very good but the egg and charizo taco was not edible. It was very very salty and the egg was dry and burned in places. They will need to improve to maintain a restaurant very long.

On 10/7/2008 at 8:59 PM, Arivechi said:

everytime we drive past the Tamale Factory we say "why don't they set-up more of a patio area to sit and eat? look at that big parking area". But I guess that while leasing they weren't interested in too much infrastructure changes. We'll look forward to a new location.

On 10/7/2008 at 10:18 PM, musicman said:

the tamales i had from here were definitely mediocre. too much masa!

On 10/8/2008 at 10:13 AM, Shamrock said:

There's no room for mediocre Tex-Mex in this town.

As noted by others above, that corner seems like a prime location in the 11th Street/Studemont restaurant hub.

Suggestions (or wish-list really) for next tenant/owner:

BBQ joint - Rudy's would be nice but that is a pipe dream and Rudy's prefers gas stations

Burgers (Cliff's/Southwell's or similar) - Someburger is cool but its days may be numbered with the land being purchased recently.

Laredo Taqueria - Washington location may be too valuable (but this location may be too close to location on Cavalcade)

Antones Po-boys

La Vista

A more Heights central Dragon Bowl

On 10/8/2008 at 10:50 AM, tanith27 said:

I'd like to see an eatery that serves nothing but beer and nachos. Seriously. A menu of chips, a menu of cheeses, and a menu of toppings. And a wall of draft beers. I'd forward my mail there.

On 10/8/2008 at 1:54 PM, heights_yankee said:

I agree about Rudy's

What's the news with Someburger? Rumors of purchase have been swirling for years (in fact, that's how I found the HAIF). What's the current?

La Vista would work well since people already know it's going to be BYOB.

My wish list involves sushi or gelato. more trees in the parking lot and a large outdoor seating area, completely fenced so the kids can go feral while i enjoy whatever it is i am there to enjoy. (and before you non-breeders get mad, having it be kid friendly is the *best* way to make anything instantly successful in the area right now. if something good goes in, the kid-o-ness of it will help it stick)

. @ forwarding your mail. he he he

On 10/8/2008 at 4:02 PM, Zippy said:

mmmm.. sushi.. Osaka on Westhimer is far..

i agree on the outdoor-place-for-the-kids-to-go-nuts type of place.. that's why we like the berryhill on 11th so much.. it's not too upscale for us not to be yelling at the kid to sit down all the time, plus the outdoor area gives them some place to crawl around on which would be more undesirable inside.

On 6/9/2009 at 2:29 PM, tanith27 said:

During my weekly breakfast burrito trip to the Houston Tamale Factory on the SE corner of Studewood and 11th, I was informed that the building has been leased to a new tenant so they will be looking for a new home in the next couple months. Apparently the new tenant will be along the lines of a wine tasting venue, so I suspect they'll have quite a bit of renovation to do on that corner before it takes on the appearance of a cozy wine place.

On 6/9/2009 at 2:36 PM, EMME said:

I won't hate the new tenant if they repaint the building.

On 6/9/2009 at 3:10 PM, SilverJK said:

That sounds nice (hopefully they will be open during normal hours). Isn't that area dry though? I'm also concerned about the parking across 11th street. There isn't much parking available at the brazilian arts foundation. I hate having to park in that lot over behind someburger (it just looks like a place to have your car broken into). Since the capoeira and samba classes take place during dinner hours, that could create some havok i'm sure.

On 6/9/2009 at 3:19 PM, tanith27 said:

Assuming they will renovate and depending on how that is, they could easily hold 10+ parking spots onsite. I suspect they will get a fair amount of business simply from residents walking to the location as it really is central to a good residential population. I hope they put a bike rack out front.

On 6/9/2009 at 4:13 PM, ToolMan said:

they can follow the velet parking trend :o

On 6/9/2009 at 4:32 PM, heights_yankee said:

this is very exciting. at first, they thought it was going to be rented to yet another tamale place. a wine place in that spot will make up for my disappointment upon moving in to my house and learning The Vinyard is a church.

On 6/10/2009 at 11:59 AM, Melwood said:

Isn't there a law that a bar has to be a certain distance from schools and churches? It's only a few hundred feet from Hogg MS and the Vineyard. Or am I imagining things?

On 6/10/2009 at 1:29 PM, MaggieMay said:

But--what is the exact distance? They can't open until their licensing is in order. Except--wasn't that the issue with Spec's on Washington? Somehow they opened legally--then "problems" occurred.

11th Street Cafe was originally on its way to getting a beer & wine license. Then the church in the old theater complained & the TABC folks "re-measured." Gosh, sorry! No booze at 11th Street!

It's apparently not a simple matter.

On 6/10/2009 at 1:45 PM, tmariar said:

From the TABC FAQ: "How far away does a location that sells alcohol need to be from a church or school? How is that distance measured?"

"The state statute permits city councils or county commissioners courts to adopt a local ordinance prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages within 300 feet of a public or private school, church and/or public hospital. The distance from a school can be increased to 1000 feet under certain circumstances. [section 109.33]

Distances from schools are measured in a straight line from property line to property line.

The law requires that the distance from a church or hospital be measured from front door of the proposed establishment to the street front. If on the same side of the street, measurement continues along the along street frontage to a point perpendicular to the front door of the church or hospital, and then from the street frontage to the front door of the church or hospital. If a street has to be crossed, then measurement continues from the street front point that is perpendicular to the front door of the the establishment to the nearest intersection, across that intersection in a straight line and then back along the street frontage to a point perpendicular to the front door of the church or hospital and then from that point to the church or hospital's front door.

Cities and counties can also adopt ordinances requiring a 300-foot distance between certain types of permits and day-care centers or child-care facilities, [section 109.331]

Cities and counties are not required to have these ordinances (the statute is merely permissive) and are free to grant variances as they see fit."

On 6/10/2009 at 1:54 PM, heights_yankee said:

i wonder if they would be willing to grant it for a business that is only open when school is out- evenings after 4 for example?

On 6/10/2009 at 2:28 PM, tmariar said:

Here's a pdf of the section of the code that contains the regulations. I didn't see anything that took the hours into consideration wrt schools and churches, but I just scanned it.

On 6/10/2009 at 2:34 PM, RedScare said:

No exceptions.

Houston (or HISD) has adopted the 1000 foot rule. It is measured property line to property line, as stated above. However, if the establishment sells less than 50% of its revenue in alcoholic beverages the 300 foot rule applies.

On 6/10/2009 at 2:36 PM, heights_yankee said:

so i am guessing a wine bar in that location will not be granted a permit. too bad.

On 6/10/2009 at 2:45 PM, RedScare said:

Possibly a wine restaurant. I doubt a wine bar would fit.

On 8/8/2009 at 2:28 PM, heights_yankee said:

so, lance feagan (glasswall) and the guy from belvedere are opening a sandwich/burger place in the texas tamale factory building. i believe they do "plan" on selling wine or having a wine aspect to the place. of course, ask lonnie allsbrooks about "planning." .. anyway, i see that as a welcome addition to the hood since i imagine they will have better hours than dacapo's.

On 8/10/2009 at 9:01 AM, tanith27 said:

Thats what I heard too, although I didn't realize Lance was involved. Talking to the Tamale folk prior to them closing down, they said that site used to be a gas station or quickie mart that sold beer/wine on site so whatever the magical distance is away from schools, they apparently have it.

On 8/10/2009 at 10:55 AM, Hartmann said:

So is the Tamale Factory completely shutting down or just moving? If they are moving, where will the new location be?

On 8/10/2009 at 12:21 PM, tanith27 said:

The owner said they have a place on Houston Ave close to Dharma Cafe, but they need to build it out and that will take some time. Maybe towards year-end. They mentioned possibly getting a taco truck in the meanwhile until the new place is done, but its just an idea and hasn't progressed beyond that.

On 8/10/2009 at 12:37 PM, RedScare said:

Different permit, but that suggests that the site at least meets the 300 foot requirement. Convenience stores get off-premise consumption permits. Obviously, a restaurant would get an on-premise consumption permit.

On 8/10/2009 at 1:32 PM, heights_yankee said:

well, i guess we just wait and see for now... unless someone wants to get out there with a couple tape measures. .!

tamale factory has a sign "moved to x address" on the door. i'll look next time i go by unless someone else posts it first.

i think it will be neat to see more happen in that area by dharma. the building over there are gorgeous.

On 8/27/2009 at 5:15 AM, tmariar said:

Speculation here and here is that it will be called "Burgerzilla".

And then I saw here that there's a new restaurant planned for 514 E. 11th (between Columbia and Oxford).

On 8/27/2009 at 9:03 AM, Gooch said:
On 8/27/2009 at 5:15 AM, tmariar said:

Speculation here and here is that it will be called "Burgerzilla".

I doubt it will remain "Burgerzilla" for long. I once got a Cease & Desist letter from the studio that owns the Godzilla rights for a screen name that was _zilla. For some reason they are very protective of that mark.

On 8/27/2009 at 8:58 PM, RedScare said:

I look forward to a nice $20 burger. <_<

On 8/28/2009 at 8:56 AM, tanith27 said:

While I do like the idea of this building being turned into an eatery, the burger concept is somewhat lost on me since Someburger is directly across the street.

On 8/28/2009 at 9:05 PM, heights_yankee said:

red will still be eating at someburger.

but really, i agree tanith. you would think there would be a little more respect for the old institution. still, cops and Hogg kids aren't going to be eating at Lance's new joint...

Older posts discussing the property at 1050 Studewood. The discussions are about Liberty Kitchen. It took over the site of  Houston Tamale Factory at 1050 Studewood. There were a lot of posts about this property scattered about in other unrelated topics.

Photos of a closed Houston Tamale Factory at corner of Studewood and E 11th St and Liberty Kitchen under construction.

34zdsFF.jpg

Google Maps 2011

R0JDs9Z.jpg

XZR2g5g.jpg

Posts about 1050 Studewood from an unrelated topic Blue House on Heights Blvd:

On 9/21/2009 at 4:10 PM, EMME said:

What's going in on the corner of 11th and Studewood?

On 9/21/2009 at 6:49 PM, heights_yankee said:

Lance Feagan of Glasswall is putting another restaurant in there.

On 9/21/2009 at 9:43 PM, HeyHatch said:

I thought I saw APD signs all over it. I thought that Lance worked with Allegro. Wait, are you talking about 11th and Studewood or 11th and Heights?

On 9/22/2009 at 10:30 AM, outback said:

The new restaurant at 11th and Studewood is going to be Burgerzilla

On 9/22/2009 at 1:23 PM, brookesmith said:

Is that where the Houston Tamale Factory was?

On 9/22/2009 at 6:03 PM, EMME said:

Is Burgerzilla a Lance Fagan restaurant? I had also heard at one time it was going to be a wine bar, but isn't it too close to a school?

On 9/23/2009 at 8:06 AM, tanith27 said:

I was originally told a 'wine bar' by the Tamale folk, but it seemed they themselves didn't have the full story. After a while they got their story right and called it a 'sandwich shop that serves adult beverages'. It used to be a Quickie Mart that sold beer, etc so I'm guessing they'll get the permit that allows them serve drinks assuming most of their sales comes from food. Essentially the same permit that the Washington SPECS got and lost.

Posts from the Heights Restaurant and Bar Scene - More Coming:

On 2/10/2011 at 4:57 PM, AFB said:

Anyone know whats happening with the SE corner of the street? It looks like there's some work being done on the abandoned building there (stone work and paint on the exterior). I thought I remembered reading about plans for a restaurant there a while ago, but haven't heard anything since... any scoop?

And, it looks like plans are moving full-steam ahead and quickly with the project on the NW corner behind Some Burger... they've already dug a gigantic hole that takes up much of the property. Looks like it will be used for underground parking or a deep foundation...

On 2/11/2011 at 8:33 AM, Angostura said:

Restaurant. Same owners as BRC.

On 2/11/2011 at 10:16 AM, sonic0boom said:

Liberty Kitchen, if the name stays ....

Were they able to work around the issues with serving alcohol near the school? I thought i heard something about the building being grandfathered in since it was there before the school, but i'm not sure.

On 2/11/2011 at 1:58 PM, JCR said:

Still gonna be Liberty Kitchen. If there were issues about selling alcohol, they would have never gone ahead with the project.

On 2/11/2011 at 4:12 PM, sonic0boom said:

Well, i heard that there were issues, but they obviously got them figured out.

On 2/11/2011 at 8:46 PM, TheJudge said:

Its within 1000 feet of Middle School property line. No way to work around. Can't sell liquor. If it going in, its going in without liquor.

On 2/11/2011 at 9:29 PM, RedScare said:

Actually, there is a possibility to get around it if the premise derives less than 50% of its revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages, and it has a food and beverage permit from TABC. See TABC Sec. 109.33 (f). However, the 300 foot rule still applies. This property appears to lie within 300 feet of a public school.

On 2/14/2011 at 8:51 AM, J008 said:

Maybe they will get around it however Paulie's and Lanier Middle do (I think they are a "club" or something). There is no way they are 300 ft apart.

On 2/14/2011 at 11:27 AM, sonic0boom said:

BRC does not sell hard alcohol -- just beer and wine -- so it is likely this place will be the same. If that is, indeed, the case, how would it factor in?

On 6/14/2011 at 4:47 PM, barracuda said:

I always thought that place had potential, but the food was so greasy there. Glad to see that something better is going in.

Speaking of this intersection, I still haven't heard what will go in across the street in the old Houston Tamales Factory location. Anyone know?

On 6/14/2011 at 8:02 PM, heights_yankee said:

Liberty Kitchen. Oyster bar-ish. Lance Feagan.

On 6/28/2011 at 4:23 PM, s3mh said:

For what it is worth, there is a craigslist posting for hiring staff for Liberty Kitchen and Oyster Bar.

On 6/29/2011 at 5:45 PM, s3mh said:

http://ultimateheights.com/stories/251203-new-business-licenses-issued-in-heights

Looks like it is on. Liberty Kitchen and Oyster Bar has a license. Now all they need is oyster season.

On 8/30/2011 at 11:13 AM, sonic0boom said:

Word on the street from one of the guys at BRC is that Liberty Kitchen should hopefully start their soft opening in a month. Kegerator is going in right now. The theme of oyster bar with microbrews and wine is still in place.

On 11/17/2011 at 2:28 PM, heights_yankee said:

On 11/17/2011 at 4:24 PM, Marksmu said:

I really cant wait for a place in the Heights with good seafood...the seafood options here are pretty slim, and even then not that great....I wonder what the price point for liberty kitchen is going to be...I am thinking $15-$22...I have not looked for a menu online, but that is just my guess....seafood is never cheap.

On 11/17/2011 at 4:49 PM, RedScare said:

Neither are restaurants owned by chefs...especially "famous" ones.

BTW, I just drove by. Looks like it may be open.

On 11/17/2011 at 10:08 PM, heights_yankee said:

That sounds about right. Frankly, I would not eat cheap oysters. Good oysters come at a price.

Coolio. Maybe the soft opening? If so, you can usually get free booze...

On 11/18/2011 at 2:38 PM, JCR said:

I was told via text by one of the staff at BRC that Liberty Kitchen will be open tonight.

On 11/18/2011 at 5:12 PM, heights_yankee said:

Saw a guy with an apron in his hand walking in at 4 oclock! Crossing my fingers they'll have oysters Kilpatrick at some point. My fave way to eat 'em! I've already requested it of the chef :)

On 11/21/2011 at 10:09 AM, heights_yankee said:

Went to LIberty Kitchen last night for a drink. Great bar area. Cool, funky interior. HUGE menu and definitely set up to be kid friendly. Kids' menu items come served on old cafeteria trays. Menu also says something like "almost all of our items can be sized down for kids' meals." Nothing childish about it, though- especially the drink menu. Great cocktails mostly named after Heights streets/schools. Prices vary- some things seem like a great price for the item (fresh seafood and also a wine we had at another restaurant this weekend was $7 cheaper at LK), while some things seem a little pricey ($6 for an order of onion rings). Overall, though, seems like a very welcome addition.

On 11/22/2011 at 9:53 AM, callisthenes said:

My fifth-of-bourbon sense is kicking in. I prefer partaking in cocktails without children, and am wary of the company of parents that bring their children to adult/bar settings. We’ll see how it pans out, if the bar's vibe is too cool to pass up I may just have to recon when to sneak in a drink in between the play date times.

On 11/22/2011 at 3:06 PM, heights_yankee said:

I do like my adult time, so I know what you mean. However, I think LK is intentionally set up to be a family friendly restaurant. It's not going to be a Berryhill, where kids are allowed to take the place over, but it's not a strictly adult spot, nor is it a bar.

On 11/23/2011 at 9:26 AM, Marksmu said:

S3MH is right on this one....restaurants in Houston, especially areas like the heights that are rapidly becoming very family oriented are doomed to be fads if they do not offer something for families....Even Cedar Creek is family friendly, and its mostly bar....I've said it a million times - if you don't want to dine around children then you need to eat only at very expensive restaurants, or late....families have as much a right to be there as people who don't have kids.

I did not know Liberty Kitchen was going to be family friendly....now that I know that, I am inclined to go much sooner, and hopefully more often, than I had planned....I was thinking I needed to line up a babysitter for pretty much all decent seafood places in Houston.

On 11/23/2011 at 10:26 AM, callisthenes said:

The report of the Liberty Kitchen cool/funky bar with “kid-friendly” menu and cocktails named after schools was dissonant to me, especially understanding that the layout of BRC (the group’s last venture) is bar-centric. I am probably a bit paranoid about the “Berryhillification” of local joints; if you really want to expose your children to alcohol early in life, cut to the chase and go hang out at Shiloh Club ;).

So I reconnoitered the place last night, since it’s only a block away from my lair. As the name implies, Liberty Kitchen is kitchen-centric. The bar is actually more of a diner counter, or their upscale take on it, with the kitchen immediately behind it. With a fair number of booths, the layout and vibe are more conducive than BRC is to the tastes of Heights parents and their kids. So is the menu, as others have observed. If your kids are screaming for an upscale dining experience to salve the proletarian sting of another night of mac and cheese, chicken fingers or Whataburger, then by all means make reservations now.

Drinks are good, and they are named after local personalities (i.e. Hogg, Reagan) or schools if you prefer. Wine selection is extensive enough for fickle palettes. Karbach beers are on tap. The food is also good, the dishes on offer are reminiscent of BRC. It will take me some time to get a fair and broad sampling, but I had a shrimp remoulade sandwich that hit the right notes. And the menu says they are open for breakfast from 8am on weekends. Service is also good, and that’s a sign of good staff and management, considering they are still in the first week. They are still working through some things, but the place is sure to settle into a groove soon.

On 11/23/2011 at 9:11 PM, heights_yankee said:

In the case of this specific restaurant, at least 3 of the 4 business partners are parents. One has 4 kids. Parents who own restaurants often want places they can bring their own kids.

Many families I know in the Heights eat out as much as childless people because often 2 working parents are too tired to cook, or a stay at home mom is too worn out to want to do dishes, yet meal time requires real food, not the kind of swill or bread and water I would have with my bottle of wine before I reproduced.

Where did you get that 75% stat? Not doubting you. Just wondering... In any case, a statistic doesn't take in to account a lot of the gray area important to this particular discussion. There are over 950 families in Heights Kids group. Of the childless homes in the Heights, many of them are elderly and don't eat out much anyway. THere are empty nesters who moved to a small house after their kids were grown, but are still welcoming toward young families. Another group is young couples who, like me, moved to the Heights from a less family friendly area to prepare for starting a family, so they just don't have kids yet.

I think MarkSMU was a little strong in his statement. I would not call Stella Sola particularly family friendly, although I have seen kids dining there, and it does an amazing amount of business. I would say it's here for the long haul. However, a casual dining restaurant will flourish more easily in the Heights if it welcomes and accommodates the needs of families. Of this there is no doubt.

On 11/25/2011 at 8:46 PM, Marksmu said:

A few things I notice about people who dislike kids in restaurants 1) they are bitter and relatively unhappy people. 2) They generally don't have kids because nobody wants to be around them long enough to reproduce 3) They believe the world caters to them, 4) No matter what their income level they are snobs.

I also have to agree with the previous comment about the various groups, and I will generalize based upon what I see in the Heights, at the grocery store, on the jogging trail, and actually out at the various restaurants...but out of the people who reside in the Heights, the ones who can afford to go out to eat at places that are not just an ihop - Im talking about the segment not using the check cashing stores - those the service industry are trying to attract....they are generally one or more of the following: 1) young, 2) newlyweds, 3) new parents, 4) professionals....at least half the population still living in the Heights can not afford to eat at places like Stella Sola, Glass Wall, Liberty Kitchen, etc....Out of the remaining half of the residents who can, I would venture to say 20-30% already have kids, and another large segment of that population will eventually have kids.

So while your statistic may be technically correct - I don't put much weight behind it. The Heights is not Washington Avenue...I don't expect a restaurant on Washington to cater to, or in many cases even allow Children, but the Heights....if you have not noticed is trending towards younger working professionals, many of whom have started or are starting families...and that is not going to change no matter what the grouchy kid hating crowd says...

There are not many restaurants that can make it without serving children. That is a fact. If you chose to not serve them, you better be serving up the absolutely best of everything else - because you have alienated an enormous, if not the super majority, of all dining consumers.

Fegen's at 1050 Studewood St. Google Maps Streetview from August 2022.

YqKodfz.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

It looks like a popular local pizzeria is expanding to the Heights.

The Gypsy Poet is opening a second location It's taking over the former home of Fegen's (previously Liberty Kitchen) at 1050 Studewood St.

Currently, Gypsy Poet has one location in Midtown. The restaurant opened in 2019 at 2404 Austin St serving artisan pizzas. 

https://www.thegypsypoet.us/
https://www.instagram.com/thegypsypoetstudio/

• Like 4

On 8/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The Gypsy Poet is opening a second location It's taking over the former home of Fegen's (previously Liberty Kitchen) at 1050 Studewood St.

Currently, Gypsy Poet has one location in Midtown. The restaurant opened in 2019 at 2404 Austin St serving artisan pizzas. 

Awesome owners. Hope they do well in the heights.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I hope they're able to do well too. Wonder if there are plans for further additions to the building and property? Will much of what's in place remain in tact? 

I think it would be tough to expand that building as the expense would be parking which is arguably more valuable than building sq ft at this corner. 

On 8/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

FANTASTIC news. This place is sooooo good. And with the loss of Cane Rosso we needed it. Honestly, great vibe at their Midtown spot and very very lovely staff.