Ben vs. The Maher House

BenH

DSC_0050.jpg

There it sits, gloating in all of it's steel-and-glass glory, knowing full well that despite a 300mm lens, no piece of optical enhancement can penetrate such dense foliage. That's how it went on the Azalea Trail yesterday. The Neuhaus home was equally elusive, if not more so. The new alterations were quite visible from the street and the trails at Bayou Bend.

DSC_0062.jpg

I suggest getting the book 25 years of Record Houses. Very good pictures; none of those trees were there when it was written. Yes ladies and gentlemen, the Maher house defeated me this round, but hopefully I'll be back.

I meant the other houses on the garden tour. Too bad you couldn't get to them. Sometimes they offer pleasant surprises.

I think the Keeland house will be great for your project.

Jason

Ah, but the house itself IS modern, in a way. As Barnstone points out in his book, John Staub brought a modern approach to the eclectic tradition by opening up the house and minimizing doors.

We only went to Bayou Bend and Rienzi, but you would probably be better off going this weekend just to see Bayou Bend. Everything wasn't quite blooming full-tilt yet.

By the way, I don't think O'neil Gregory is going to fit my time frame for the project, but the house is definitely worth documenting. I'm trying to set up a few more things at the moment, but we need to get the Keeland house shot, if possible. Don't know when, though.

That was me last year - so hilarious! "Oh, yeah, azaleas, very nice - now look over there. I think I see it, no, can't quite make it out, maybe, ah there's an outline..."

2 years ago Easter, we were driving by there and they were having an easter egg hunt for charity. If I had kids I would have jumped out of the car and claimed to be invited (nearly did that without the kids).

Not that it is modern or anything, but did you go on the garden tours? Anything interesting? I was out of town all weekend and missed the whole thing. 2 years ago we toured a house with some incredible modern art, but the house itself was not modern.

Jason

Funny I was just at Bayou Bend last Tuesday and did the same thing. I was more concerned with glimpses of Maher than looking at the home I was visiting. Nice to know I'm not the first!

Archived