Harris County Jail At 700 North San Jacinto St.

I say build a nice jail there on the same scale as the new courthouses that have sprung up in the area, atleast on the exterior. Call this area, Justice District or something like that.

Justice District sounds a tad euphemistic. "Prison District" would be more apt.

If they were going to demolish this and put up a trendy mixed-use development, which they ought to be doing in that location, I would have no problem. But I doubt that will happen. More than likely another jail (or parking).

And just what "trendy mixed-use development" would you propose for a site with jails on two sides, a rail line and another jail on a third, and a METRO bus barn on the fourth?

Trendy bail bondsmen AND lawyers, perhaps?

Edited by RedScare

And just what "trendy mixed-use development" would you propose for a site with jails on two sides, a rail line and another jail on a third, and a METRO bus barn on the fourth?

LOL....may i suggest a helipad on the roof?

Guest danax
isn't this the old peden iron and steel warehouse?

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/PP/fpe14.html

peden001.jpg

Without knowing the details of the plans, I will go out on a limb and guess that this is just another classic building that is probably not even being given a chance to be reused by the County/"new is always better than some stinky old building" people.

This is known currently as the Iron Mountain Warehouse. The Peden Building is directly south of this building. I don't know if Peden owned it at one time, but I believe the County used to use it as storage. Since the old jail at 1300 Franklin is now used as storage, this site is probably not needed.

If I had to guess, I would think this site would become the future Harris County/City of Houston combined inmate processing center, given its location across from both jails.. That is, assuming the City and County ever come to an agreement on it. The rest of the site would make a good parking garage, as there is a shortage of parking for jail staff and visitors in this area.

This is just a guess. I have no info other than an inmate processing center is planned eventually.

Article on processing center, apparently up for bond vote in November...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4392725.html

Edited by RedScare

Without knowing the details of the plans, I will go out on a limb and guess that this is just another classic building that is probably not even being given a chance to be reused by the County/"new is always better than some stinky old building" people.

I'm not sure that's a fair characterization of the county... Hasn't the county actually reused and adapted several old buildings in their end of downtown?

Guest danax
I'm not sure that's a fair characterization of the county... Hasn't the county actually reused and adapted several old buildings in their end of downtown?

It was a flippant comment. They are still using the old San Jacinto Jail and the old courthouse. Somehow though I don't see them adapting an old warehouse/factory, which would require creativity, vision and a touch of romance with the past, not usually qualities seen in government entities. I hope I'm wrong.

For example, they could change the color of the inmates' jumpsuits to a soft vellow to match the building. or maybe an electric violet, so that they would be in stark contrast to it :)

For example they could change the color of the inmate's jumpsuits to a soft vellow to match the building. or maybe an electric violet, so that they be in stark contrast to it :)

they are using yellow suits in the medical ward currently.

While looking for info on the County parking garage for another post, I found this master plan for the courthouse and detention zones.

http://www.judgeeckels.org/PDF/courthouse_master.pdf

It proposes razing the old steel factory and paving it for surface parking, as I guessed earlier. Eventually, it will be used for another jail. The much more historically attractive Peden Building is slated for renovation and reuse. The Wilson Building at 49 San Jacinto, the one that sits on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou, is slated for demolition and parking. However, the Buffalo Bayou Project would remove the parking eventually.

I'm just going by the fact that it is a block away from the bayou. I don't think the jails should be there either. If you look at the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan, this little neighborhood is projected to pretty much be the heart of it all, with a channel being put through the site of the existing Metro bus barn. As one of the planners mentioned, this is the only city where one finds jails at such a strategic spot for urban development.

isn't this the old peden iron and steel warehouse?

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/PP/fpe14.html

peden001.jpg

Yes its the Peden Iron and Steel building. I would know it anywhere. My Grandmother worked there from some time in the forties to the late sixties. My mother got her first job there when she was 16 back in 1946. I would go visit my grandmother often there in the sixties.

44ispdk.jpg

48x7nt3.jpg

This is me a my grandmas desk at Peden. This came out in a christmas edition of the peden newspaper called Baker Street Bugle. What a shame to lose another building full of memories.

Guest danax
This is me a my grandmas desk at Peden. This came out in a christmas edition of the peden newspaper called Baker Street Bugle. What a shame to lose another building full of memories.

If the Master Plan that Redscare linked proves to still be accurate, your grandma's old worksite will be renovated into a cop-shop.

And while the name, "Justice District" is funny, Detention District might be best, since the County's name for the area already is close.

Excerpt from the Harris County Facilities Downtown Master Plan, May 2002:

"26. Acquire and Renovate Peden Building

Estimated Purchase Budget:$TBD

Estimated Project Budget" $8,833,000

Funds Currently Allocated: $0

FY 2003-2003 Funding Required: $0 No funds required until FY 2004-2005

The Peden Building is located within the designated Adult Detention Zone. The building contains approximately 53,00 GSF and 41,000 NSF. The building could be used by the County for administrative offices for detectives of the Harris County Sheriff's department. The Sheriff's department currently houses detectives in the Lockwood facility. The detectives have outgrown their existing space with projected need of approximately 40,000 NSF. Use of the building for detectives continues the consolidation of the Sheriff's department as recommended in the Harris County Sheriff's Department Facility Master Plan. The design of the renovation is expected in January of 2004 with occupancy by February 2006. The renovation cost is expected to be $8,833,000.

Yes its the Peden Iron and Steel building. I would know it anywhere. My Grandmother worked there from some time in the forties to the late sixties. My mother got her first job there when she was 16 back in 1946. I would go visit my grandmother often there in the sixties.

thank you for posting that! always interesting to read about the personal histories of these places

A little "insight" from one who works around this building.. *ahem*

anyway... the last thing I heard is that this will become a surface parking lot. At the end of baker on the corner of the bayou will be a new joint processing center/jail for HPD and the SO to be completed in 2010 (?). So the surface lot at the end of the street will be taken and there will no longer be any parking.

The powers who be initially wanted to use this warehouse location for the new JPC, but the angle of the new housing center which shares this block did not meet the requirements for footage/cost. The new building will be around 10 stories.

(All info subject to change as it is still in progress)

• 1 year later...
yes, just a tiny piece of one (fair use? :blush: )

I thnk it's fair use. It's usefull to know what it is, as I can get ot the online Sanborns with my kibrary card. I haven't looked at that part of town on the Sanborns, and it looks interesting. You never know whast tidbit you will find on those maps.

I thnk it's fair use. It's usefull to know what it is, as I can get ot the online Sanborns with my kibrary card. I haven't looked at that part of town on the Sanborns, and it looks interesting. You never know whast tidbit you will find on those maps.

True - I have been looking at the maps of northern downtown from about 1885-1924 (not sure what years HPL has access to) and it has been a really interesting and useful resource.

• 4 months later...