Puppets, Clowns, and Dolls oh my!

Pumapayam

What scared you as a child?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Sadistic "kid themed" horror movies that traumatized you!

• Clowns - Think "Poltergeist" possessed clown pulling the kid under the bed, Stephen Kings "IT"
    • Dummies - The movie below, "Goosebumps" Slappy dummy
    • Dolls - "Chucky", 'Dolly Dearest", "Puppet Master"

Guest Marty

I think i remember that but most of the shorts were foreign.

Now I am going to lay awake all night trying to remember :lol:-_-

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Exorcist jacked me up as a kid. First time I ever cursed. As I was watching that little girl in bed, I was like "B*tch, U crazy"...

I was like 18 or so and saw the Exorcist. I was so freaked out that I slept with my loudly snoring grandmother for at least a month. I had the paperback book of the movie in my room and threw it away because just looking at the cover gave me the creeps.

I was like 18 or so and saw the Exorcist. I was so freaked out that I slept with my loudly snoring grandmother for at least a month. I had the paperback book of the movie in my room and threw it away because just looking at the cover gave me the creeps.

It was truly the ONLY really scary movie.

Killer Clowns From Outer Space. And I saw this as an adult ... I'll never look at clowns again in the same way.

And all you had to do was pop their noses, how gross is that!

The paperback cover of IT was enough to drive me into getting horrible nightmares.

That and the cover of Demonic Toys!

DemonicToys.jpg

"Pinwheel" was like the Canadian version "Sesame Street". I loved it better than "Sesame Street". Even as a child I thought some of the characters of "Sesame Street" were obnoxious.

Pennywise was the name of the clown from "IT". I mentioned him just the other day in the "Lost" thread.

Pumapayam, that picture is the most evil thing I've ever seen.

I thought this was one of the scariest movies I have seen. Not gore scary or make you jump scary, but it reminded me of a rollercoaster, the anxiety right before the drop. Well this movie gave you chills and fear like something was about to happen throughout the entire movie.

"Pinwheel" would air for several consecutive hours a day on Nickelodeon.

Coincidently, right after I posted here earlier today, I turned it on an episode of "Tales from the Darkside" from the Sci Fi channel and it was about a demented teddy bear. Parts of it were blatant ripoffs of the TZ's "Living Doll". It was awful.

I forgot to add to my initial list of dummy/dolls/toy shows, TZ also had another ventriloquist themed episode titled "Ceasar and Me".

"The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" also had one about an old burned out showbiz man who turned his young fiancee into a ventriloquist doll at the end. It was sort of the whole twist at the end; not about an actual doll. It was hokey as heck, but entertaining nonetheless, in a bad way.

Was Demonic Toys a Stephen King novel/movie?

Naw, I don't think he'd stoop this low, this was a classic B-, C+ rated movie.

Pumapayam, that picture is the most evil thing I've ever seen.

You're telling me, this was the cover I saw on a LaserDisc sleeve back in the day.

Obviously kids should not be in the horror section of a video store, but this is enough to give you nightmare, a lame movie sleeve/box art.

I thought this was one of the scariest movies I have seen. Not gore scary or make you jump scary, but it reminded me of a rollercoaster, the anxiety right before the drop. Well this movie gave you chills and fear like something was about to happen throughout the entire movie.

Which movie you refering to exactly on here?

Anyone else had issues with this type of phobia as a child?

I can handle clowns, etc. but this "monster" scared the living ....Wahhhhh out of us kids.

We would run out of the room in tears! Still cant see how Edgar Bergen got famous with this hideous creature? :ph34r: He must have been a child hater!

bergenbc.jpg

We would run out of the room in tears! Still cant see how Edgar Bergen got famous with this hideous creature? :ph34r: He must have been a child hater!

Actually that thing holding the puppet is pretty scary too.

Charlie McCarthy has always been a creep of a doll.

I like the entertainment they had back then, though.

To add to my list, I forgot about another Hitchcock episode titled "Where the Woodbine Twineth". I can't believe I forgot it considering it's one of my favorites. It's also about a doll.

To add to my list, I forgot about another Hitchcock episode titled "Where the Woodbine Twineth". I can't believe I forgot it considering it's one of my favorites. It's also about a doll.

You are just a sponge of information on this topic huh.

Do any of you remember that Tiki Doll from the Trilogy of Terror!

Do any of you remember that Tiki Doll from the Trilogy of Terror!

When it 1st appeared on ABC's Movie of the Week, we talked about it forever! Scared all of us to death! And poor Karen Black was tormented by this wicked doll. She tossed it in the oven before "Chucky" was thrown in years later. She was another 70's icon, see her in Airport 75! Still worship her!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilogy_of_Terror

familyplot34.jpeg

When it 1st appeared on ABC's Movie of the Week, we talked about it forever! Scared all of us to death! And poor Karen Black was tormented by this wicked doll. She tossed it in the oven before "Chucky" was thrown in years later. She was another 70's icon, see her in Airport 75! Still worship her!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilogy_of_Terror

familyplot34.jpeg

They should have just made the whole movie about the Tiki Doll.

Yaaaaay Yay Yay Yay!

TrilogyOfTerrorDVD.jpg

Pumapayam:

Well that's because I've seen those shows multiple times over, I just couldn't think of them all at once. I'm sure there are still some that I'm forgetting.

I've never heard of "Trilogy of Terror".

I wish more of those old TV shows and TV movies would get airtime. The late '80s-'90s are now considered classic while all the really good stuff slowly fades into oblivion.

Photos from the aforementioned that weren't on my initial list:

"Where the Woodbine Twineth" (The Alfred Hitchcock Hour)

Woodbine.jpg

Not an evil doll story. Not scary, either, just super creepy.

"The Final Performance" (The Alfred Hitchcock Hour)

FinalPerformance.jpg

Story about a ventriloquist, not a dummy. It's kind of bad, but I still like it.

"Ceaser and Me" (The Twilight Zone)

Ceasar.jpg

Dummy is a bad influence to its owner and a little girl who lives next door. I think they recycled the dummy from "The Dummy".

I'm sure I'll think of some mo'.

Oh gosh, how about the Colonel as a doll? He as a doll is even scarier as that "filthy looking thing" as he calls it.

"Night Gallery" aired on Encore Mysteries for a while. That was the first time I had ever seen it. I wish it still came on. There are some good stories in that series.

Not to get off topic because this insn't doll related, but I like the NG episode titled "Brenda". That's the most bizarre piece of TV I've ever seen. Are you familiar with that one? It's about a little girl who falls in love with a bundle of shrubbery, basically. Some nasty hippy probably wrote it.

Oh gosh, how about the Colonel as a doll? He as a doll is even scarier as that "filthy looking thing" as he calls it.

"Night Gallery" aired on Encore Mysteries for a while. That was the first time I had ever seen it. I wish it still came on. There are some good stories in that series.

Not to get off topic because this insn't doll related, but I like the NG episode titled "Brenda". That's the most bizarre piece of TV I've ever seen. Are you familiar with that one? It's about a little girl who falls in love with a bundle of shrubbery, basically. Some nasty hippy probably wrote it.

Sounds eerily familiar. All my brothers and sisters would gather around the TV as Night Gallery was an event!not to be missed. See there was no VHS to record so if you missed well you missed as all the kids would talk about it the next school day. The theme music was very scary and the show gained big time popularity that even big stars like Joan Crawford were dying to appear in it.

I have searched all over and cannot find anywhere to buy maybe someone on HAIF can help???

There are so many episodes and I do remember most of them. I was only about 12-13 at the time but much scarier things were to follow like Tx Chainsaw Massacre!

These are major classic TV! and rare old Rod Serling passed away shortly after its success.

Joan Crawford was in the pilot episode of "Night Gallery". It aired as a TV movie in 1969, I think. It was the segment titled "Eyes" and it also starred Tom Bosley of "Happy Days". Stephen Speilberg directed it. One of his earliest. I like the segment from that same episode about the painting.

"Night Gallery" opening sequence:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N0VCrWTMoIE

• 1 year later...
Ha! And he's right here in our backyards!

If that scares you you surely won't want to see this:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&...ytimg.com/vi/I#

Gah, watch a creepy video, and it did not take much other than an old dummy, poor lighting and scary music.

What's with the avatar, something going on in Houston, like a dummy convention, or you just wanted to creep me out here? :unsure:

Archived